Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Default Regular That Logged Out

I am a reg, but have logged out to ask this question....

I just got back from a doc appt where I was put on some new medication. The medication states that I can not operate a vehicle, my doc always said that I should not.

My health is not contagious to anyone and will not affect how I do my job in any way, BUT I will need to cancel the field trips that I have planned for the next 14 days because I cannot drive.

I do have two assistants that help me on different days, so I know that I will be ok running the daycare, but they are not allowed to drive per my insurance.

How do I tell the parents about this, I have never had anything like this happen. I don't want them to think that the care for their child will be compromised in any way, but until further notice, I will need to cancel all field trips. This will be short term and I will be ok...

I also don't want to get too detailed about what is going on with my health. Can someone help me arrange a letter for the families./ How or what would you say?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Dear DCP

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, we will not be taking any off-site field trips for the next 2 weeks.

I am not at liberty to discuss this temporary change but rest assured, our normal daily routine, including off-site activities will resume on February 5, 2013.

Otherwise, your child's regular daily schedule will remain as normal.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Provider

HTH

If parents ask, just repeat that yo are not at liberty to discuss it but that it has NOTHING to do with the children or the child care program.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

That sucks, I'm sorry, hope you are feeling good real soon and these meds help you out!

I've never been in this situation as I don't drive anywhere with the kids in my care anyway, but I think I would be tempted to simply say there was something wrong with my vehicle or an issue came up with the places you were going and you'll have to re-schedule? I know its not being honest, but your not causing harm to anyone either since it isn't about their child specifically and all you are withholding is your own personal details. Otherwise you will just have to say things are cancelled due to unexpected circumstances and be prepared to dance around with a reason.

I can't really see another way to work around it without telling them point blank you can't drive, which will of course lead to questions and you having to spill everything personal about the situation.

It's too bad you can't allow your assistant to drive with you in the car. I know she is not covered now, but is there any way you could add her for a month without too much out of pocket or trouble?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Dear DCP

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, we will not be taking any off-site field trips for the next 2 weeks.

I am not at liberty to discuss this temporary change but rest assured, our normal daily routine, including off-site activities will resume on February 5, 2013.

Otherwise, your child's regular daily schedule will remain as normal.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Provider

I really

HTH

If parents ask, just repeat that yo are not at liberty to discuss it but that it has NOTHING to do with the children or the child care program.

Thanks so much for this letter, but all of the dcp know that I went to the doctors today and I know that they will ask questions or they will connect the dots so to speak.

me being sick has affected my ability to think 100% so I have been making a few scheduling errors here and there. Nothing major. I want to be honest wtih them without being to detailed about it.

since that letter is not "my style", I am very open, I know it would raise a lot of questions...

Maybe I could use that same letter and change a few things? what do you think??
Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM

Dear DCP

Due to some personal reasons that are neither serious nor permanent, I will be unable to drive for the next 2 weeks.

This means we will not be participating in any off site field trips for the next two weeks.

Please rest assured that other than not going off site, your child's regular daily schedule will remain as normal.

At this time, I do not wish to go into details about this and appreciate your respect in this matter.

Sincerely,

Provider

I tried to make it a little more personal but not giving it away all your details.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks so much for this letter, but all of the dcp know that I went to the doctors today and I know that they will ask questions or they will connect the dots so to speak.

me being sick has affected my ability to think 100% so I have been making a few scheduling errors here and there. Nothing major. I want to be honest wtih them without being to detailed about it.

since that letter is not "my style", I am very open, I know it would raise a lot of questions...

Maybe I could use that same letter and change a few things? what do you think??

If they already know you went and are going to ask questions anyway, what were you planning to say when they asked how things went? I would just tell them in person whatever you had in mind if what BC wrote is not like you, otherwise that would seem odd to me as a parent. Can you tell them you needed some medication for a bit and have been asked not to drive - leave it at that?

ETA: I also like what BC wrote for the 2nd letter...sounds more personal and is giving the important details, minus the WHY you need the medication which is the part you want to avoid anyway!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would just tell them the truth, because of my illness I don't feel comfortable driving. My insurance only covers me so my assistants can't help. Sorry. Then smile. If they ask why you can't drive, tell them a side effect you don't mind sharing. Like, it causes diareah. Or nausea.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
I would just tell them the truth, because of my illness I don't feel comfortable driving. My insurance only covers me so my assistants can't help. Sorry. Then smile. If they ask why you can't drive, tell them a side effect you don't mind sharing. Like, it causes diareah. Or nausea.
Personally, this is the route I would go.

Tags
field trip policy, letter samples, sick policy, transportation