Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daily Text: "How Are My Angels Doing?" How To Respond?
Indoorvoice 09:07 AM 07-30-2014
I get a text every morning from one dcm asking how her kids are behaving. Truthfully, the one boy isn't great, but it's nothing I can't handle. I'm not sure if she is expecting a laundry list of all the rules he has broken, or if she just wants me to say "good" and move on. I really dread the text every morning because I feel like I'm lying when I say everything is fine, but it really isn't beneficial for me to explain everything he is doing wrong either when his behaviors are just normal spoiled boy behaviors. How do you respond to these sorts of questions?
midaycare 09:12 AM 07-30-2014
Great! We just made an art project. Here's a picture.
MyAngels 09:13 AM 07-30-2014
Since it's every day my response would be "great." Hopefully she would get the hint and stop asking every single day
Cat Herder 09:14 AM 07-30-2014
I wenckebach them.

(I wait longer and longer to respond each day until, finally I don't have to respond at all.)

I do tell them this in the interview, and that I WILL contact them if everything is NOT alright... They laugh. I wink.

.....BUT for some reason they all believe I am only referring to OTHER parents, not them. So it goes....
daycarediva 09:16 AM 07-30-2014
I would address it. "Dcm, if there's an issue, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I may not have time to respond to texts because I'm busy. I'm sure you understand with X# of children here!"
coolconfidentme 09:19 AM 07-30-2014
....they grew horns!
hope 09:20 AM 07-30-2014
I have to admit I do miss my DD when she is in school and if the teacher had an option for me to check in I would. I would probably do it a lot and drive the teacher crazy. Hahaha! So I understand why the moms check in. They miss their kids. I usually respond with a cute picture or tell them something cute the child has done or said. I don't really think the parents are checking to see if they are being good or bad....they just miss them.
Cat Herder 09:23 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would address it. "Dcm, if there's an issue, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I may not have time to respond to texts because I'm busy. I'm sure you understand with X# of children here!"
When you do that do you get "I know, I know, but I just....."

Because that is what I get
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:23 AM 07-30-2014
my parents know I will respond via facebook message during naptime if they have any questions.
Some days they get a "just fine" some days some days wow she really enjoyed _______. you should have seen __________.
Usually what they ask is "did ________ poop today?" that has to be my number one question asked
nannyde 09:26 AM 07-30-2014
I say SAME
midaycare 09:29 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I have to admit I do miss my DD when she is in school and if the teacher had an option for me to check in I would. I would probably do it a lot and drive the teacher crazy. Hahaha! So I understand why the moms check in. They miss their kids. I usually respond with a cute picture or tell them something cute the child has done or said. I don't really think the parents are checking to see if they are being good or bad....they just miss them.

daycarediva 09:29 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
When you do that do you get "I know, I know, but I just....."

Because that is what I get
"I just don't want you to worry or get upset with me when I don't respond."

When...I....don't.

I see them twice a day, unless there are issues, I don't have time to text each parent during the day.

When their kids start K here, they see the teacher on the first day and one conference only, unless there is an issue.
spinnymarie 09:34 AM 07-30-2014
"All good. I'll let you know if anything is amiss!"
nannyde 09:37 AM 07-30-2014
This may help. https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...-every-day.htm
nannyde 09:38 AM 07-30-2014
For texting you can answer: "Same. How are they doing at home?" That puts her having to type out behaviors. She has to bring up stuff.
Cat Herder 09:40 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
"I just don't want you to worry or get upset with me when I don't respond."

When...I....don't.

I see them twice a day, unless there are issues, I don't have time to text each parent during the day.

When their kids start K here, they see the teacher on the first day and one conference only, unless there is an issue.
I hear you. If I had an assistant or a lunch break maybe it would be different.

I do text if there is something really good (like a good citizen award or caught being good certificate) or something really bad (like illness) to communicate with just that parent.

Occasional texts are fine (other than the notorious dope and drop sign ), but everyday texts, after being asked to stop, would be grating...

Great article Nan!! I don't know how I missed that one.
CraftyMom 10:04 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
I get a text every morning from one dcm asking how her kids are behaving. Truthfully, the one boy isn't great, but it's nothing I can't handle. I'm not sure if she is expecting a laundry list of all the rules he has broken, or if she just wants me to say "good" and move on. I really dread the text every morning because I feel like I'm lying when I say everything is fine, but it really isn't beneficial for me to explain everything he is doing wrong either when his behaviors are just normal spoiled boy behaviors. How do you respond to these sorts of questions?
I had a few like this. One in particular with 2 kids here (worst kids I've ever had in my care) Text everyday, how are the boys? I finally asked if she wanted details or just a general ok? She wanted details. "I want to know EVERYTHING so I can know what is going on" Ok, so I started giving details. Most of it was just normal everyday stuff that she made a big deal of when I told her. Turns out she didn't really want to know, and ended up getting super defensive, and it all went south. Worst term ever!

Moral of the story...just a give a quick "fine, I'll let you know if anything needs mentioning"
daycare 10:20 AM 07-30-2014
I love to take pics and send via text, but only when I have time and I tell the parents this...

I never really have parents ask unless they know their kid has been having issues.

If a parent asks and i have the time I will snap a pic of exactly what that kid is doing. That means if they are throwing a tantrum right then that is what they get a pic of. That usually gets them to stop and some parents will say oh sorry you are having a rough day with them. Sorry for your troubles, that usually gets them to stop asking me.
Indoorvoice 10:44 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I love to take pics and send via text, but only when I have time and I tell the parents this...

I never really have parents ask unless they know their kid has been having issues.

If a parent asks and i have the time I will snap a pic of exactly what that kid is doing. That means if they are throwing a tantrum right then that is what they get a pic of. That usually gets them to stop and some parents will say oh sorry you are having a rough day with them. Sorry for your troubles, that usually gets them to stop asking me.
Oh this is great! I'm going to start responding, "Everything is great! Look, DCB is jumping on my couch for 18 billionth time! Oh, and here is a pic of him pulling my daughter's hair. Doing fine over here!"
Annalee 10:47 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For texting you can answer: "Same. How are they doing at home?" That puts her having to type out behaviors. She has to bring up stuff.
I can't wait to use this! Love it!
dave4him 10:51 AM 07-30-2014
Mine is usually from my wife asking about ours..... um driving daddy nuts but nothing new about that.
Josiegirl 10:52 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
This exactly
mrsnj 11:05 AM 07-30-2014
I usually send a general reply. "Great morning" type of thing but only for a few days once they start. After that I become too busy to reply. They get the message after that . I don't mind in the adjustment period but after that it's time to move on.
KidGrind 11:08 AM 07-30-2014
Thanks for you inquiry overall we’re good. Normal redirection and reminders, I hope you have a great day. See you at pick-up.
hope 11:17 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Mine is usually from my wife asking about ours..... um driving daddy nuts but nothing new about that.
Haha! Yes same here from DH but I send him pictures of the kids along with the dcms
AmyKidsCo 12:18 PM 07-30-2014
I'd reply at nap time, if I had time. Generally I handle problems here and don't tell the parents about them unless it's an ongoing problem that I've worked on for a while and it's not getting so I want their "backup."

I use the Daily Connect app as a daily sheet and try to upload 1 photo of each child every day. Since parents can log in whenever they want to see updates I think it helps cut down on texts like you get. (Although I did have a parent who I think would have loved it if I had video streaming so she could watch her Special Snowflake play all day.)
Wubby 12:54 PM 07-30-2014
I have a parent that did this all the time. I would respond with great, playing, having lunch, just whatever the kiddos were doing. But after a while it became a pain, so being the rude smart a$$ I can sometimes be ( and I have known her for 14 yrs), I started responding with, "Wonderful, the baby just learned how to climb on the roof" "Girls are riding the big wheel bikes off the roof, you should see how much air they can get" "Wow, they love eating mud" "Just climb the tree in their Tarzan costume, they look great".. Yup I don't hear from her at all now....
dave4him 02:52 PM 07-30-2014
They are still alive....

They have developed their own language and are planning an escape...

Our oldest has renamed the Daycare and proclaimed herself leader...

Well.... at least the diapers are out of the house....

The cat should make it...

Angels?...... hahahahahahah

..... when are you coming home?
Meeko 03:31 PM 07-30-2014
They are still alive....

Love it!
Mister Sir Husband 07:04 PM 07-30-2014
If she asked everyday I'd be good for a while, but eventually I'd maybe get a bit creative, like telling her everything's actually pretty quiet here, but could she possibly stop on the way later and grab me a couple more rolls of duct tape cause I just used all mine up..
Indianadaycare 08:12 PM 08-02-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

Perfect!
renodeb 08:56 PM 08-02-2014
I respond to those kind od texts with the following response : " he's fine" and a smiley face. If they want more than that then they will be the one to follow up with more detail. I had a mom like that. Every day same text. Thankfully she was ok with my patented response. We dont have time for a long winded responce.
Deb
Scribbles 08:24 AM 08-03-2014
It only takes me a second to snap a picture of a child and sent it off with a quick "I'm doing great Mom!" caption.
I dont mind if parents ask but I can't always guarantee I will reply immediately so I make sure to tell all the parents that I will reply but don't panic if it isn't immediately. If there is ever an emergency, contact will be immediate then though.
nannyde 11:30 AM 08-03-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:
It only takes me a second to snap a picture of a child and sent it off with a quick "I'm doing great Mom!" caption.
I dont mind if parents ask but I can't always guarantee I will reply immediately so I make sure to tell all the parents that I will reply but don't panic if it isn't immediately. If there is ever an emergency, contact will be immediate then though.
I dunno

I can't seem to get pictures where the kid doesn't look "special" until I take 25. I quit doing pics because of it.
Meeko 06:02 AM 08-05-2014
Mom: " How is my angel doing?"

Me: Having a hard time walking........her halo is a bit tight around the ankles..."
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Mom: " How is my angel doing?"

Me: Having a hard time walking........her halo is a bit tight around the ankles..."

I don't tend to get those types of texts so I don't know what I would say if I did.

I used to have new enrollment parents text the first day or two to see how their child is adjusting but after the first day or two, it never happened again.

OP~ Has the parent that is sending this to you a long time parent or a newly enrolled one?
dave4him 06:40 AM 08-05-2014
Mine is often followed up with, what have you been doing today..... uh keeping them from killing each other mostly.
daycare_jen 07:18 AM 08-05-2014
I had a mom that did this sometimes, usually if her kids had a hard morning drop off or something. Then mom had a new baby and it was every single day! her text: "how are things?" my usual reply: "things are good." then she would reply with something more specific to make it seem like she had an actual concern when she first texted and it would develop into a full on text conversation. it drove me crazy. especially because it was only after the new baby was with me, and it wasn't like that for the whole year I'd watched the older two kids. I gradually increased the amount of time it took for me to reply and at times I verbally reminded her that I would always text or call if there was something she needed to know, but she did not get the hint and still did it every single day.
KiddieCahoots 07:26 AM 08-05-2014
They are still alive....

Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
If she asked everyday I'd be good for a while, but eventually I'd maybe get a bit creative, like telling her everything's actually pretty quiet here, but could she possibly stop on the way later and grab me a couple more rolls of duct tape cause I just used all mine up..

.......Thank you! That was great! Lol!
Indoorvoice 07:55 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I don't tend to get those types of texts so I don't know what I would say if I did.

I used to have new enrollment parents text the first day or two to see how their child is adjusting but after the first day or two, it never happened again.

OP~ Has the parent that is sending this to you a long time parent or a newly enrolled one?
It's a weird situation actually, because she is one of my best friends. Her husband has been the primary caregiver since the kids were little and he just got a job so I think it's hard for her to leave her kids with someone different, even me. I'm learning quickly why everyone warns to not mix business with friendship. Unfortunately I'm learning the hard way as my daycare quickly filled up with friends and acquaintances who were eager to have someone they know and trust to watch their kids. I wanted those spots filled so I took them. I'm finding that even in this friendship where we have been brutally honest with each other over many issues, its a different story when her kids are involved.
Reply Up