Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop-in charges???
Little Star75 09:54 AM 03-13-2013
Ok in my area drop-in charges are from $45-$60/day, I just got a text from a parent that her boss needs 4 drop-in days next week for 4yr old and 13 yr old but I don't know what to charge. The hours are going to be 8:30am-5:45pm.
What is a reasonable drop-in charge for this family?

Thank you in advance
crazydaycarelady 10:02 AM 03-13-2013
No way on God's green Earth would I watch a 13yo!
Little Star75 10:04 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
No way on God's green Earth would I watch a 13yo!
Lol, I know right but I do accept up to 13 yrs of age. Btw this will be my first 13 yr old and its only for 4 days
mom2many 10:16 AM 03-13-2013
My S/A rate is $30, but when I have done this in the past I charge $40 for drop in. I would charge this family $80/day.

I am surprised that someone would need care for a 13 yo In the past, I have only had kids up to age 12, but with that being said... some 13 yo need to be watched closer than a 2 yo!
Little Star75 10:29 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
My S/A rate is $30, but when I have done this in the past I charge $40 for drop in. I would charge this family $80/day.

I am surprised that someone would need care for a 13 yo In the past, I have only had kids up to age 12, but with that being said... some 13 yo need to be watched closer than a 2 yo!
Exactly... Some 13 yrs old do. This parent usually has someone in their home I believe this 13 yr old is home schooled just like mine and is in need of care for the 13 and 4 yr old.

Thanks a bunch!
rmc20021 10:33 AM 03-13-2013
I think a lot of time parents don't seem to think you should charge as much for an older child, however what they don't realize is that those older kids are usually the ones who cause the biggest disruptions in daycare with the younger kids.

I had to send my grandson to daycare when he turned 13...just could not leave him home alone while I worked. He was into trouble just about every day because of things he was doing to the younger kids...not hurting them, but just doing things that may be ok for older kids to do together, but not with preschoolers.

I wouldn't want a child that age in my daycare for 1 day. I think I'd tell them I could take the 4 yo and charge them what you seem fair, but decline the older one. Then it would be up to them if they wanted to bring the 4 yo.
MarinaVanessa 11:14 AM 03-13-2013
I don't know about you but I personally think that SA are ALOT more work than any other type of child and they also require a lot more supervision, use up more supplies and eat more food.

It all really depends on what YOU feel like charging. I charge $45 for a full 10 hours of drop in child care or $5 per hour (4 hour minimum) if they need less than 8 hours of child care. I charge the same rate no matter what age they are and charge for a full hour even for partial hours. I also don't offer sibling discounts.

If this person was my client they'd be charged
8:30am-5:45pm = 9 hours 15 minutes rounded up to 10 hours = $40 per child
$80 per day x 4 days = $320.

I just quoted another mom very similarly this morning only for a full 5 days for two children. I wouldn't give a discount because I offer the same level of care to all children so if she doesn't want to/can't pay that then that's ok, she can go somewhere else where it's cheaper. I won't sell myself short though, not for a drop-in client (temporary income, new kids, not used to my rules etc).
Little Star75 01:10 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't know about you but I personally think that SA are ALOT more work than any other type of child and they also require a lot more supervision, use up more supplies and eat more food.

It all really depends on what YOU feel like charging. I charge $45 for a full 10 hours of drop in child care or $5 per hour (4 hour minimum) if they need less than 8 hours of child care. I charge the same rate no matter what age they are and charge for a full hour even for partial hours. I also don't offer sibling discounts.

If this person was my client they'd be charged
8:30am-5:45pm = 9 hours 15 minutes rounded up to 10 hours = $40 per child
$80 per day x 4 days = $320.

I just quoted another mom very similarly this morning only for a full 5 days for two children. I wouldn't give a discount because I offer the same level of care to all children so if she doesn't want to/can't pay that then that's ok, she can go somewhere else where it's cheaper. I won't sell myself short though, not for a drop-in client (temporary income, new kids, not used to my rules etc).
Sounds like you are straight forward and that's good. I'm surprised I can't be like that knowing myself how I am but I'm going to take your advice.
Thanks a lot
Little Star75 01:11 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
I think a lot of time parents don't seem to think you should charge as much for an older child, however what they don't realize is that those older kids are usually the ones who cause the biggest disruptions in daycare with the younger kids.

I had to send my grandson to daycare when he turned 13...just could not leave him home alone while I worked. He was into trouble just about every day because of things he was doing to the younger kids...not hurting them, but just doing things that may be ok for older kids to do together, but not with preschoolers.

I wouldn't want a child that age in my daycare for 1 day. I think I'd tell them I could take the 4 yo and charge them what you seem fair, but decline the older one. Then it would be up to them if they wanted to bring the 4 yo.
So true
MarinaVanessa 01:18 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
Sounds like you are straight forward and that's good. I'm surprised I can't be like that knowing myself how I am but I'm going to take your advice.
Thanks a lot
Glad to give some help. BTW I'd like to point out a small typo on my part ... I charge $6 an hour for drop-in not $5 lol.
Tags:drop in care - sample
Reply Up