Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Too Much Time Off?
WDW 12:05 PM 02-11-2013
Hi! I wanted some opinions about time off. I think I just need to write it out for myself maybe... lol. I'm an in-home provider in my 5th year. I generally don't take that much time off; the first four years of doing this job, I didn't take any paid days off other than holidays. My families got five "free" days. Last year I started making some changes and as new families came in, I took some paid time off for me, and then with new contracts this year, I intergrated that into the contracts of my existing families as well. Basically, they now get ten days, and I get ten days, plus the holidays (which all of my families have pd holidays at their jobs too).

I have a lot going on this year... currently I have a day scheduled off for a long weekend trip with the extended family... a day off for me for a weekend trip with a girlfriend (something I have NEVER done before)... a day off to attend my child's field trip. I also am considering closing for a week in March while school is off on break. Half of my families are school employees.... we are doing some work to our house and it would be really great to have that solid week to do the things like painting that can't be done with the kids in the house.

All this being said, we have a vacation planned towards the end of the year that will be about 8 days off work for me, and I will probably take a day or two off work around Christmas time when I have out of state family in. Keeping in mind that half of my families don't need me during the summer, or school breaks, is this a ridiculous amount of time off? I will of course only be paid for ten days, anything above and beyond the 10 days I will take unpaid. I just don't think I will ever regret taking the time/making the time for my child.
canadiancare 12:12 PM 02-11-2013
I don't have paid time off other than statutory holidays. Other than that I take 2 days (always the Thursday, Friday) at spring break, a week in July and a week in August as well as the time between Christmas and New Year. I also take the Fridays of the July long weekend and of the August long weekend to make a 4 day break. I have mainly school teachers so I don't take any planned vacation during the in session school year.
daycaremum 12:19 PM 02-11-2013
I take lots of time off, unpaid. I don't charge for stats. I take 4 weeks over the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas and March Break. I also close any other time I need to for appointments etc...which don't come up often.
wdmmom 12:25 PM 02-11-2013
I take off 10 paid personal/vacation/sick days per year.

I take 9 paid holidays per year.

Parents pay full rates regardless of attendance...unless they are part of my old contract (2 kids), in which they get 1/2 off up to 2 weeks vacation time. Must be a full week and not be the same week I take mine.

I have 1 teachers kid and their contract is a little different. They still pay my 10 paid days off per year and 9 paid holidays. They pay for winter break, half off for spring break (unless the child attends) and dont' pay for the 10 weeks in the summer unless the child attends.
SilverSabre25 12:27 PM 02-11-2013
I take major holidays
5 days paid (usually together)
and at least 5 days unpaid.

Yes, it's lost me a few potential clients. But those are the people I probably wouldn't want to work with anyway.

I give families 5 free days to use after they've been with me a year.
WDW 12:27 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I take off 10 paid personal/vacation/sick days per year.

I take 9 paid holidays per year.

Parents pay full rates regardless of attendance...unless they are part of my old contract (2 kids), in which they get 1/2 off up to 2 weeks vacation time. Must be a full week and not be the same week I take mine.

I have 1 teachers kid and their contract is a little different. They still pay my 10 paid days off per year and 9 paid holidays. They pay for winter break, half off for spring break (unless the child attends) and dont' pay for the 10 weeks in the summer unless the child attends.
I do something like this with my teachers.. they pay me everyday (here or not) during the school year. Then they don't pay me for the summer (unless they are here). Do you ever take days above/beyond the holidays/pd days you mentioned?
NeedaVaca 12:36 PM 02-11-2013
I take major holidays paid, 10 days vacation paid & 3 personal or sick days. I have never taken more than that or unpaid days though.
WDW 12:43 PM 02-11-2013
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone will actually consider leaving somewhere they are happy with over a few extra unpaid days off....
wdmmom 12:46 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by WDW:
I do something like this with my teachers.. they pay me everyday (here or not) during the school year. Then they don't pay me for the summer (unless they are here). Do you ever take days above/beyond the holidays/pd days you mentioned?
Not usually. This year I bumped it up to 12 days personal/vacation/sick.

I usually take 6 days in July for vacation and 3-4 between Christmas and New Years so I can maximize my time off.

I added a couple days because I didn't have any additional days for "what if" situations. And, working from New Years to Memorial Day is too long to not have a day off!
kitykids3 01:04 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I take major holidays
5 days paid (usually together)
and at least 5 days unpaid.

Yes, it's lost me a few potential clients. But those are the people I probably wouldn't want to work with anyway.

I give families 5 free days to use after they've been with me a year.
This is what I do except my parents get 1 week's worth (prorated for those that are part time) after 6 months.
I never end up taking my 5 unpaid days.
kitykids3 01:09 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by WDW:
I guess I'm just wondering if anyone will actually consider leaving somewhere they are happy with over a few extra unpaid days off....
If some of them have a hard time finding back up care when you close, or don't want to use all of their sick days from work, then you might. Sometimes when I am thinking about changing my policies, I'll talk to my clients a little first, informally to kind of see where they would be.
WDW 01:14 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
If some of them have a hard time finding back up care when you close, or don't want to use all of their sick days from work, then you might. Sometimes when I am thinking about changing my policies, I'll talk to my clients a little first, informally to kind of see where they would be.
I totally understand this. That's the thing, I'm not really changing my policies, I'm not adding any more paid days, and my contract doesn't say I will ONLY take the 10 days, it says 10 paid, anything above unpaid. Four of my families will only be affected by the vacation at the end of the year, and a couple of the random single days (right about 10 days). The others... 2 of them have SOLID backups, and one works at home and won't have a problem. Which leaves me with one family who might have a difficult time. I'm finding it hard to not do these things with/for my son for the convenience of one family....
WDW 05:48 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Not usually. This year I bumped it up to 12 days personal/vacation/sick.

I usually take 6 days in July for vacation and 3-4 between Christmas and New Years so I can maximize my time off.

I added a couple days because I didn't have any additional days for "what if" situations. And, working from New Years to Memorial Day is too long to not have a day off!
Amen!
itlw8 11:41 AM 02-12-2013
I take all state holidays off with pay so that is 13 days Plus 1 week vacation. I do not give my parents any free days off without pay. though we do try to time our vacations together.

They have no problem with it and know it when they signed on. My friends take 2 weeks vacation plus state holidays. I do have to say we are in the capital city so many many people work for the state or have a relative that does .So taking those days off is normal around here. I do book my drs visits on those days.
Reply Up