Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dragging Foot
countrymom 11:58 AM 02-28-2012
dcb is 14 months old. He doesn't walk at all, he does pull himself up on stuff but that is rare. Well I started to notice that when I take his hand and help him walk his right foot drags. Its like it drags and then he picks it up, also its turned outward. When I make him try and weight barer, he can't at all, unless he is holding onto something. Something is not right. But he can climb stairs, which is wierd.

he also walks on his tip toes. So mom even has those special walking shoes for him, but they are not helping. He also doesn't eat like the other kids. He doesn't like texture food and really doesn't know how to eat people food. Mom says that he gags and throws up too because again no idea how to eat. When I put out cheerios for my other kids he throws his on the floor, he doesn't know how to put food in his mouth.

anyone have a kid like this. also you can't leave a room because he cries. He's been here for 4 months 3 days a week. I found him gnawing on my drawer in the kitchen, he has teeth so not sure what that is all about.
countrymom 12:00 PM 02-28-2012
oh I can compare him with the other 2 I have because they are all 1 yrs old and several weeks apart, this is why I'm concerned. He doesn't talk or babble like the other 2 kids do and he only knows how to throw things but doesn't know how to push things.
Michael 12:41 PM 02-28-2012
I am wondering if the mother is aware of your concerns? Has she brought this up to her pediatrician? Here are some Developmental Milestones: https://www.daycare.com/fastfacts/de...ilestones.html
countrymom 06:43 AM 02-29-2012
the dr. told her that if he's not walking by 18months then to bring him back. But sometimes its easier for a stranger to notice than a parent.
MrsB 07:14 AM 02-29-2012
Each county here in Md has a program called infants and toddlers. They do assessment for children with delays. My daughter was behind in her gross motor skills. (Didnt start crawling until 11 months) and has issues with textures too. Only has about 12 foods that she will eat, most all of them dry foods. She has a physical therapist and occupational therapist that comes out every 2 weeks.

Same program has a speech therapist come out and work with one of my DCK that has delayed speech.

My doctor referred us to them, but they are a county program and take self referrals. Maybe you could find out if your county/state has something and give the parent the info and maybe they will come out and do an assessment to see if he qualifies for services.
countrymom 08:34 AM 02-29-2012
nothing here, I wish we did, because early intervention is always the best.
karen 11:39 AM 02-29-2012
Can you document your findings and have mom take to the doctors office? Maybe if you write it down it will help in relaying to the doctor what is going on with him.
Tags:limping, milestones, special needs, won't walk
Reply Up