Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Health and Raw Milk
Michael 04:06 PM 03-30-2012
This article is really upsetting. We used to go to Rawsome every week until the feds closed it down. Imagine Federal agents storming a small raw grocery with M-14 rifles. Now this in my own back yard of Ventura.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035397_Ve...k_rampage.html

I've been to many farms here and I just can't believe the strong arming of our government.
makap 04:57 PM 03-30-2012
Sad isn't it?

This is a great website

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ou-to-eat.aspx
nannyde 05:03 PM 03-30-2012
The Milk and corn industry are so powerful. I would serve raw milk if I could but we aren't allowed to. I grew up on raw milk.

I really hate that we HAVE to serve milk when there are so many great options available.
makap 05:14 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
The Milk and corn industry are so powerful. I would serve raw milk if I could but we aren't allowed to. I grew up on raw milk.

I really hate that we HAVE to serve milk when there are so many great options available.
So many people are so unaware of what they are feeding to their children!

http://www.naturalnews.com/035029_GM..._Monsanto.html
Michael 05:23 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Achelea:
Sad isn't it?

This is a great website

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ou-to-eat.aspx
Yes, that is an interesting headline: The 9 Foods the U.S. Government is Paying You to Eat

Can buy raw chicken, eggs and meat in any grocery store but not milk? I don't want my milk cooked.
makap 05:36 PM 03-30-2012
FDA Action Against Raw Milk
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-raw-milk.aspx

The Devil in the Milk
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-the-milk.aspx

Choosing Between Raw Milk and a Dead, White Liquid
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...te-liquid.aspx
Michael 05:40 PM 03-30-2012
FDA Action Against Raw Milk
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-raw-milk.aspx

The Devil in the Milk
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-the-milk.aspx

Choosing Between Raw Milk and a Dead, White Liquid
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...te-liquid.aspx
I see we think alike.
nannyde 06:00 PM 03-30-2012
So many people are so unaware of what they are feeding to their children!

http://www.naturalnews.com/035029_GM..._Monsanto.html
Please don't get me started on Monsanto.

I decided this a couple of years ago: One of my goals in life is to go day by day not give a penny to Monsanto. I don't care how much it costs. I don't care how much work it is. It's not always possible but it's on my mind with every food dollar. I go to a LOT of extremes to source food that doesn't pay them a thin dime.

I fail on treats. I know the Schwanns bars I eat can be tracked back to them and the candy I buy from the U.S. But at the end of the year I think it's less than a hundred dollars total.

Not perfect but as close as I can get without having a little treats now and then.

I want the government OUT of my food. I want to feed my kids what I think is right.
makap 06:16 PM 03-30-2012

I decided this a couple of years ago: One of my goals in life is to go day by day not give a penny to Monsanto. I don't care how much it costs. I don't care how much work it is. It's not always possible but it's on my mind with every food dollar. I go to a LOT of extremes to source food that doesn't pay them a thin dime.

I fail on treats. I know the Schwanns bars I eat can be tracked back to them and the candy I buy from the U.S. But at the end of the year I think it's less than a hundred dollars total.

Not perfect but as close as I can get without having a little treats now and then.

I want the government OUT of my food. I want to feed my kids what I think is right.
I have always prepared all of our meals from scratch and thought that I was doing best for my children. I have only recently started researching and trying to change the way I buy foods and prepare them. I am terrified by what I have been reading. This is some scary $^&%^& I am reading.

I began my search trying to find the reason why my son who has basically always been a very good little boy has been having issues with his attention and focusing/staying on task at school. He has also shown changes in his behavior and seems to be tired all of the time and this has been affecting his moods drastically.

There have been no problems at all that I could find at home or at school to determine what the problem was. The only thing I could think of was possibly him not getting enough sleep at night or his diet. I thought perhaps it might be an allergy.

By changing his diet and watching what I feed him he has become a changed little boy over the past month. I no longer allow him to have anything that comes in a package. If it is not home cooked or home baked he does not eat it!

I still have a LOT to learn but I believe that I am off to a good start.
nannyde 06:45 PM 03-30-2012
I have always prepared all of our meals from scratch and thought that I was doing best for my children. I have only recently started researching and trying to change the way I buy foods and prepare them. I am terrified by what I have been reading. This is some scary $^&%^& I am reading.

I began my search trying to find the reason why my son who has basically always been a very good little boy has been having issues with his attention and focusing/staying on task at school. He has also shown changes in his behavior and seems to be tired all of the time and this has been affecting his moods drastically.

There have been no problems at all that I could find at home or at school to determine what the problem was. The only thing I could think of was possibly him not getting enough sleep at night or his diet. I thought perhaps it might be an allergy.

By changing his diet and watching what I feed him he has become a changed little boy over the past month. I no longer allow him to have anything that comes in a package. If it is not home cooked or home baked he does not eat it!

I still have a LOT to learn but I believe that I am off to a good start.
If you ever need any advice on videos and documentaries that are very powerful let me know. Have you seen "Food Inc, King Corn, or the Monsanto documentary? Have you read any Michael Pollan? He currently has a lecture series from UC Berkley where he is a professor on the food system.

Don't get too stressed in the begining. The food journey is a long long journey and it takes a lot of time to understand it. Be careful of cheatery in the system. Not everyone who says they are doing the right thing are.

If you check my blogs you can see a number of articles on food.
SilverSabre25 07:45 PM 03-30-2012
If I win the Mega Millions...I will definitely be switching my family to raw milk! Among other things. Heh heh heh.

We already eat better than 75% of America. If we weren't stinking poor right now with debt coming out our ears, we would eat a whole lot better. My in-laws think that the FDA is the be all and end all of nutrition information, and proudly announce how they eat Egg Beaters with [processed] turkey and fat-free mozzarella instead of whole eggs with cheddar!

At least my food remembers dirt and grass and sunshine.
makap 11:50 AM 03-31-2012
If you ever need any advice on videos and documentaries that are very powerful let me know. Have you seen "Food Inc, King Corn, or the Monsanto documentary? Have you read any Michael Pollan? He currently has a lecture series from UC Berkley where he is a professor on the food system.

Don't get too stressed in the begining. The food journey is a long long journey and it takes a lot of time to understand it. Be careful of cheatery in the system. Not everyone who says they are doing the right thing are.

If you check my blogs you can see a number of articles on food.
Thank you.

I am now downloading Food Inc as well as The World According to Monsanto (is that the one you mean?) I would like to watch them tonight. I am unable to find King Corn to download but will continue to look for it.

It is very stressful and confusing to understand this new "food journey". It is also very frustrating as there is not much that is not loaded with all kinds of crap.

I am determined however to slowly learn as I go along and change the way I am eating as well as feeding my family. Educating my 9 year old son along the way is very important to me as well.
nannyde 12:07 PM 03-31-2012
Thank you.

I am now downloading Food Inc as well as The World According to Monsanto (is that the one you mean?) I would like to watch them tonight. I am unable to find King Corn to download but will continue to look for it.

It is very stressful and confusing to understand this new "food journey". It is also very frustrating as there is not much that is not loaded with all kinds of crap.

I am determined however to slowly learn as I go along and change the way I am eating as well as feeding my family. Educating my 9 year old son along the way is very important to me as well.
Yes that's the right documentary. King Corn is on netflix if you have that. First watch Food Inc. That's the best overall information movie I've seen yet AND it'll grab you from the first frame. Very entertaining. I would suggest you not watch it on a full stomach. (not kidding)

After you watch Food Inc you will most likely be more overwhelmed so just expect it and leave it for a few days to stew. It'll take a couple of days to get to the mad stage of loss. That anger will get you to start the journey to learn it food by food. It takes a LONG time and a lot of research to get a grasp on it and work around it for your family and your day care.

When you know better you do better. Just remember that.

Follow the money and learn about corn. Corn will show you the way of nearly every food group. In the grocery store the perimeter of the store will be the stuff least likely to be corn products although meat and milk are corn based.

One other little teeny tidbit of info that might help you right away is go to craigslist at harvest time for each individual food you are sourcing. A lot of foodies and backyard gardners sell their leftovers on craigslist at the end of the season. Buy in season and store. That will save you the most money over the course of a year. Oh and cook. If you don't know how to cook.. get to that first off. If you do... you are WAY ahead in the game.
Meyou 01:13 PM 03-31-2012
Ok, I'm going to watch King Corn although I haven't recovered from Food Inc. yet. I was just saying to a DCD the other day that life was sooo much easier before I knew what I know now but that there is no way I would go back.
Countrygal 05:31 PM 03-31-2012
Well, I'll be watching King Corn as well, and thanks for the suggested articles and links!

I have food allergies, autoimmune problems (just a little, but enough to make life miserable), and lactose intolerance.

My kids were brought up on food we raised ourselves, mostly. We raised our own beef, chicken, milk, eggs - we bought pork from a neighbor. I canned and froze most of what we ate. Now that I don't raise my own any more I am scrounging for good sources of food I can afford. When I do find them they are spoken for a very long time ahead of time!

I hate that I am buying meat in the store. Hate it. There isn't even a local butcher shop.

What is REALLY scary to me is how these big businesses (you mention Monsanto) tie into our pharmaceutical and medical and insurance industries. It all gets downright scary when you start digging. If you want to live comfortably in this country, don't dig, and only watch the major news networks. :P

What really irritates me is that the gov't is backing all of this and even promoting it through these subsidies and they have the majority of American Farmers believing it is good.

One thing I liked about the first article Nanny shared is that they talk about the truth-in-labeling of foods in this country. Truth in labeling ends where the lobby groups begin.....

As for raw milk, there is a real push in this state to get a legal market for it. I do pasteurize the milk. It is the homogenization, in my mind, that really hurts the product. I remember the farmers pasteurizing their milk in a big pan on the stove when I was a kid. I had a home pasteurizer. There ARE some very nasty parasites in cow's milk, just like in any animal product. Just like in raw beef or raw fish or raw pork. I bought fish from the store the other day and found a worm in it. A fish parasitic worm. They ARE there, that's why I always pasteurized my milk.

But why should the government dictate whether or not we can buy a raw product? Whose decision should it be? Mine or theirs?

I have so been fighting myself on the state and federal regulations lately. I know where I stand, I just don't know how much I want to compromise.....
Michelle 09:45 PM 03-31-2012
I have never had raw milk before, I would like to try it but don't know where to buy it and is it safe?
My daughter says that her health teacher told her that only babies should drink milk. Adults don't need it and it is bad for us.
Country Kids 09:55 PM 03-31-2012
I'm not sure what raw milk is but......when I was very little we would walk up the road and buy milk right from the local dairy farmer. Was probably in glass bottles but can't remember. I do remember that my parents stopped buying it when they found straw/hay in it though. I think it scared my parents because if that was in it what else could be in it.

Just a little side note from my childhood and local dairy farmer.
SilverSabre25 09:57 PM 03-31-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I have never had raw milk before, I would like to try it but don't know where to buy it and is it safe?
My daughter says that her health teacher told her that only babies should drink milk. Adults don't need it and it is bad for us.
This is definitely true...at least insofar as we don't need milk for any reason. Everything milk provides can be gotten, usually better, from other sources--assuming one's diet is varied and rich with fresh veggies, legumes, etc.

Many adults are lactose intolerant and don't realize it--look at the huge market for digestive aids of one sort or another--to relieve heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating... it's considered totally normal to need these products on a regular basis. It's NOT normal, though. I firmly believe that the causes are plentiful, but include things such as widespread lactose intolerance. Soy intolerance. Corn allergies. Gluten intolerance. Allergies to food dyes and artificial flavors. Preservatives. Things you don't even know are in your food but are allergic to and will never know it because we don't even know it's there.
Solandia 03:51 AM 04-01-2012
I wouldn't buy raw milk, nor would I give it to daycare kids. I grew up in dairy country, and the only milk I liked was from my uncles farm. It is pasturized onthe tank on the farm, but not homogenized. I still, to this day, swirl the jugs of milk before I pour it. Old habits die hard.

We stopped milk when my 13yo was toddler and had a bazillion ear infections. Her last round if antibiotics for her ear was when we cut all her dairy intake. It wasn't until she was 3ish before she could even have cheese I'd yogurt without getting ear ache. My dh hasn't have bronchitis since then(he would get it all the time). My second dd was a spaz with milk (think severe ADHD &tantrums). My third hard horrible reflux with milk based formula, and even as a 2yo, needs pepto to sleep at night when his bio mom feeds him ice-cream of cheats at a visit. My youngest has no issues with milk, like me.

But since I am no longer licensed, I don't have to serve milk, and I don't. We have almond & soy here....but that is for my toddlers' sippy cups before bedtime at night (part of their bedtime routine) During the day is 100% water for drinking. The eat very well,all sorts of foods... No need to drink their calories.
momofboys 06:12 AM 04-01-2012
It's sad! I grew up on a small farm (I say small compared to the mega farms some people have these days) & we bought raw milk from a neighbor farmer. Drank it all my growing up years. We were never sick as a result & it was the best (my mom would even use the cream that rose to the top to make homemade butter every week or whipped cream for pie). I wish I had access to it for my own kids these days, just because it would be healthier than the milk in the stores IMO.

Edited to add - I have watched Food, Inc - very intrigiuing & mind-opening. My dad was a farmer & we raised pigs on the farm & he aslo harvested acres & acres of crops, mostly corn. However, this was back in the day before all the fuss about using the proper seeds & not using old seed (if I remember correctly from Food, Inc). Not sure how my dad would have done it but if anyone could have stood up to something that was unfair my dad would have. Monsanto is evil!
Countrygal 08:34 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by Solandia:
My second dd was a spaz with milk (think severe ADHD &tantrums).
Interesting....haven't tried this with dgs. Maybe I will. Never thought of milk as exasperating the problem!

Originally Posted by Solandia:
But since I am no longer licensed, I don't have to serve milk, and I don't. We have almond & soy here.
These are exactly the types of things I am struggling with. My food care worker "frowns on" me using my fresh, free range, wonderfully healthy eggs for the daycare. Do you know what I can sell them for???? But I can't use them for the daycare kids. I can't serve my home-canned jelly that is made from hand-picked wild blackberries and elderberries or from hand-picked blueberrys and strawberries and at least contains all of the fresh fruit straight from the farm! Sometimes you just have to wonder what's the deal. Our state has a law where you can sell home-canned products if they are pickled or jellies. I think it was mainly passed for the Amish, they have a pretty strong lobby group here.

I recently researched the number of deaths from botulism. In a report I found from the ND state gov't it says: 110 cases annually in US of botulism,only 25% of the 110 are due to food, and 75% are infant botulism, many from consuming honey. Out of the SEVEN cases a year in the UNITED STATES that are left (even if you want to count the whole 27.5 cases), only about 5% die in this day and age. That means that about 1 1/3 people die of botulism caused by improper canning methods. I'm sure the gov't takes the credit for these much improved figures over the last 25 years, and they are certainly due their share by regulating the canning industry standards of production, esp. in methods used. However, I believe the decreased rate clearly reflects the better canning methods available today and, yes, the propaganda put out by USDA concerning proper canning methods.

Here is the link for my info: http://www.ndhan.gov/data/mrFacts/Bo...0Q%20&%20A.pdf
makap 09:36 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This is definitely true...at least insofar as we don't need milk for any reason. Everything milk provides can be gotten, usually better, from other sources--assuming one's diet is varied and rich with fresh veggies, legumes, etc.

Many adults are lactose intolerant and don't realize it--look at the huge market for digestive aids of one sort or another--to relieve heartburn, diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating... it's considered totally normal to need these products on a regular basis. It's NOT normal, though. I firmly believe that the causes are plentiful, but include things such as widespread lactose intolerance. Soy intolerance. Corn allergies. Gluten intolerance. Allergies to food dyes and artificial flavors. Preservatives. Things you don't even know are in your food but are allergic to and will never know it because we don't even know it's there.
This is so true!
makap 09:41 AM 04-01-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
My food care worker "frowns on" me using my fresh, free range, wonderfully healthy eggs for the daycare. Do you know what I can sell them for???? But I can't use them for the daycare kids. I can't serve my home-canned jelly that is made from hand-picked wild blackberries and elderberries or from hand-picked blueberrys and strawberries and at least contains all of the fresh fruit straight from the farm!
This is why I refuse to ever get licensed. I babysit children in my home and my parents love that I serve to them the same healthy foods that I feed to my own family.
makap 10:02 AM 04-01-2012
“They are trying to work the system so they can dismiss public comments more quickly and easily in order to speed things up"

USDA Says Rule Changes to Hasten Modified Crop Approvals

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...usda-says.html
nannyde 10:39 AM 04-01-2012
“They are trying to work the system so they can dismiss public comments more quickly and easily in order to speed things up"

USDA Says Rule Changes to Hasten Modified Crop Approvals

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...usda-says.html

It's not a concern about competition from other countries cuz monsanto has nearly the entire US market. It's a concern about how fast they can get each individual crop over to GMO so that the lawsuits can go and shut down every farmer of every crop. The quicker the approval the quicker they can get folks who have their own seed sued out of business.

Please don't get me started on Monsanto. I will end up getting booted off of this board because it infuriates me and I hate them so much. I believe they are the devil and I am not joking.

I live in beautiful Iowa where we can grow some food in our rich soil and good crop weather. Do you KNOW how hard it is to get food that doesn't have ANY GMO anywhere in the chain? Thank goodness I live near a high concentration of Amish folks. They are my go to for a LOT of stuff. They have pure seed but eventually they will be a target too........... monsanto will prevail over religion .. on that you can rely. They can win over health..... they will win over religious freedom too.
makap 01:56 PM 04-01-2012

I believe they are the devil and I am not joking.

monsanto will prevail over religion .. on that you can rely. They can win over health..... they will win over religious freedom too.
I agree and I am absolutely terrified for the future of our children.
nannyde 02:22 PM 04-01-2012
I can tell you some people I follow that you can follow on Facebook and google them.

I love Chef Ann Cooper she will knock your socks off. Anything you can get from her on video you will enjoy. She's brilliant

Jeffery Smith http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPvkZv5MfRw
He is amazing and has a way to explain stuff in really simple terms

Polyface Farm: Anything by Joel Salatin He has a few books that are cute and irreverant.

Michael Pollan Anything he does lecture wise is wonderful and he has a ton of books and interviews online

Slow food movement
Michael 02:23 PM 04-01-2012

I believe they are the devil and I am not joking.

monsanto will prevail over religion .. on that you can rely. They can win over health..... they will win over religious freedom too.
To get there all they need is a willing administration.

Get involved in educating people. The internet is a great way to reach people......while you still can.
Mary Poppins 04:53 PM 04-01-2012

Please don't get me started on Monsanto. I will end up getting booted off of this board because it infuriates me and I hate them so much. I believe they are the devil and I am not joking.
I tell EVERYONE to watch The Future of Food. I saw it a few months ago on Netflix and was shocked. I agree with you, they may not be the devil himself but they are his agents!

Back to the topic:

We grow our own food and have no regs as far as the dc is concerned because I am legally unlicensed. I am not on the food program but I still wouldn't serve raw milk though, because of the potential liability. Not to mention that I am starting to believe, like many here, that cow's milk is not good for humans period.
AmyLeigh 07:22 PM 04-01-2012

Nan, I believe you garden, right? Are you aware that Monsanto bought Seminis seeds? If you don't want to let the EVIL EMPIRE to have anymore of your hard earned $$$$, then check this list out.

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/20...d-by-monsanto/
Countrygal 06:49 AM 04-02-2012
A couple of questions!

So that list of seeds - does that mean that Monsanto produces ALL of those seeds, or they just produce that variety for others?

Say, I purchase from Jung's. Do the Blue Lake 7's all originate from Monsanto or are some produced by other companies? Does it tell on the package?

Do they produce any of the open-pollinated varieties?

I couldn't access the Semini's catalogue. It said blocked by the administrator. Anyone have another link or know how to get in?

I think that's all the questions for now.......
AmyLeigh 07:37 AM 04-02-2012
Countrygal, try this http://www.seminis.com/global/us/pro...Gardeners.aspx

Now, the listed seeds are not necessarily GMO, but are owned by Monsanto. So if I buy the varieties listed then Monsanto earns money from it.
Tags:milk, milk - raw
Reply Up