Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Home Daycare Outside Of Your Home??
williams2008 06:55 AM 02-20-2013
How many of you have a separate home that you use for your business? I want to care for more kids, and being that I live inside city limits that's not gonna happen So licensing advised me to rent or buy a home outside of city limits.

I'm sure I would love the idea of running my business outside of my home, I just didn't know if it will be worth it....Your thoughts please!
melilley 07:16 AM 02-20-2013
Great question! It is my dream to buy a house or small building (that can still be homey). I am interested in what people say!
melilley 07:20 AM 02-20-2013
Just to add, there is a provider in my area who had a group daycare (12 children) and she ended up opening a small building and she is mostly full. In fact, I worked at an accredited early learning center that was across the street and many families left to attend her facility. And I know someone who works there and people love it! There are a few more houses around me that are for just daycare and I know someone that works at one and the provider seems to be doing well! This is where I get my motivation to want to do the same from.
MarinaVanessa 07:27 AM 02-20-2013
I'm in CA so unfortunately because of licensing regulations here I wouldn't be able to do FCC in another home and doing it in another building (commercial building) would mean that I'd have to get licensed for a center.

For me, financially it would only be beneficial to work out of the same location that I live in but I'm so jealous that some of you gals have the opportunity to be able to make that happen (lower rental amounts, easier licensing regulations etc.) If I could do it I definitely would.
DaisyMamma 07:35 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Great question! It is my dream to buy a house or small building (that can still be homey). I am interested in what people say!
Same here. My daycare is in my home and I'm full, so it's difficult because I don't have truly dedicated space.

Depending on your location you might be able to have twice as many kids if you open in another location.
williams2008 07:37 AM 02-20-2013
This is my dream as well!!! I am only licensed for 6 at my home, but if I find a house outside of city limits I can get licensed for 16 or more!!!
3amazingkiddos 07:42 AM 02-20-2013
I would love to see what others say as well
williams2008 07:43 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Same here. My daycare is in my home and I'm full, so it's difficult because I don't have truly dedicated space.

Depending on your location you might be able to have twice as many kids if you open in another location.
I'm full as well, daycare in my area is pretty cheap and I can only care for 6, so I need more kids!
williams2008 07:44 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm in CA so unfortunately because of licensing regulations here I wouldn't be able to do FCC in another home and doing it in another building (commercial building) would mean that I'd have to get licensed for a center.

For me, financially it would only be beneficial to work out of the same location that I live in but I'm so jealous that some of you gals have the opportunity to be able to make that happen (lower rental amounts, easier licensing regulations etc.) If I could do it I definitely would.
I looked into becoming a center and found out quick that I didn't want to go that route!!
rbmom 07:51 AM 02-20-2013
I started in home but decided for myself and my own children it would be best to move it to another space just used for daycare. I have been in this building since Sept. 2011 and it has worked so much better!! Yes, I have another set of bills associated with daycare but I find its worth it. Eventually when my children get older I may move it back to my home. But this location is actually better located anyway. I am now licensed as FCC and recently cut back kids to where I do not have to have a helper. The smaller group is working so much better for me and the kiddos!!
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by rbmom:
Eventually when my children get older I may move it back to my home.
I never had plans to ever move child care to my home, but I will tell you that once your own children are older, you will NOT be as tolerable to the mess daycare brings with it and will be joyous that you don't have any of it in your own home.

When I get done with work and head back home, I am eternally grateful that anything work related is NOT at home with me.

~OP I have had a separate house for child care since the day I opened. I've been here 20+ years and would quit tomorrow if I couldn't do things this way.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know...I'd be happy to help.

Sugar Magnolia also has a separate home for child care. However, she is licensed as a small center and I am licensed as group family child care and have chosen to NOT go the center route....probably for the same reasons you read about.
Country Kids 08:03 AM 02-20-2013
I've tossed the idea back and forth but we have to live in the home to run a family childcare home. To have a seperate home I would only gain to more kids (running different numbers with ages) but overall the expense to have a second home would be more then I would be bringing home.
williams2008 08:07 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I never had plans to ever move child care to my home, but I will tell you that once your own children are older, you will NOT be as tolerable to the mess daycare brings with it and will be joyous that you don't have any of it in your own home.

When I get done with work and head back home, I am eternally grateful that anything work related is NOT at home with me.

~OP I have had a separate house for child care since the day I opened. I've been here 20+ years and would quit tomorrow if I couldn't do things this way.

If you have any specific questions, just let me know...I'd be happy to help.

Sugar Magnolia also has a separate home for child care. However, she is licensed as a small center and I am licensed as group family child care and have chosen to NOT go the center route....probably for the same reasons you read about.
I really want a separate house for childcare. If you don't mind me asking how many children are you caring for and how many helpers do you have, if any?
mamac 08:19 AM 02-20-2013
My plan for the future (if all goes well and I actually like having a daycare) is to have a separate house for a "homey" daycare with the ability to enroll a lot of kids. My dh and I have already discussed it and like the idea of a place outside of our home.

I recently purchased some items from a DC in my state that actually had a center-based daycare in her home basement. She was required to update her basement area to the requirements of a center, such as fire alarm pull boxes, lighted alarms, etc. but it was nice because she could have up to 20 kids. I don't like the "feel" of centers and would rather offer a larger space that would have that homey feel. I would also rather have it in another house, instead of my basement, just so my family can have our own space at all times. Plus, like BC said- once you leave work, you LEAVE work.
williams2008 08:22 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
My plan for the future (if all goes well and I actually like having a daycare) is to have a separate house for a "homey" daycare with the ability to enroll a lot of kids. My dh and I have already discussed it and like the idea of a place outside of our home.

I recently purchased some items from a DC in my state that actually had a center-based daycare in her home basement. She was required to update her basement area to the requirements of a center, such as fire alarm pull boxes, lighted alarms, etc. but it was nice because she could have up to 20 kids. I don't like the "feel" of centers and would rather offer a larger space that would have that homey feel. I would also rather have it in another house, instead of my basement, just so my family can have our own space at all times. Plus, like BC said- once you leave work, you LEAVE work.

williams2008 08:23 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I've tossed the idea back and forth but we have to live in the home to run a family childcare home. To have a seperate home I would only gain to more kids (running different numbers with ages) but overall the expense to have a second home would be more then I would be bringing home.
I think that If I would only gain a couple more kids, I probably wouldn't consider it. I would gain 10 or more so I'm all for it!!!
williams2008 08:26 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by rbmom:
I started in home but decided for myself and my own children it would be best to move it to another space just used for daycare. I have been in this building since Sept. 2011 and it has worked so much better!! Yes, I have another set of bills associated with daycare but I find its worth it. Eventually when my children get older I may move it back to my home. But this location is actually better located anyway. I am now licensed as FCC and recently cut back kids to where I do not have to have a helper. The smaller group is working so much better for me and the kiddos!!
My youngest is 14. I just want my home to feel like my home, kwim?
Scout 08:27 AM 02-20-2013
I guess I am the opposite of all of you lovely ladies! I actually LOVE that I do not have to leave my house to work! Sure, I am constantly picking up toys and vacuuming almost every day but, it is totally worth it! My kid's toys were here already so all I added were 4 cots and 4 more kiddos!
Blackcat31 08:30 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by williams2008:
I really want a separate house for childcare. If you don't mind me asking how many children are you caring for and how many helpers do you have, if any?
I am licensed to have 14 children. I can have 12 alone and must have a helper if I have 14.

A helper is anyone over age 13. An assistant is a second adult 18+ yrs old.

The helper/assistant requirements are dependent on how many children under age 2 I care for.

For example, if I have 12 kids and only two are under age 2, I can use a helper.

If I have more than two kids under age 2, I must have a second adult.

Depending on the ages of the kids I have, the ratios for prechool, toddler and infant change. The MAX amount of children I can ever have alone is 12 though.

Most providers can only have 10 but I make a point of enrolling kids who are Kindergarten eligible but who's parents chose not to send them.

My expenses for having a separate home are cover 100% by 2 full time children.

HTH...I am happy to help....if you have nay other question....ask away!
mema 08:43 AM 02-20-2013
I would LOVE to have a separate home. Unfortunately in my area, the mortgage wouldn't be worth it. I would need to fill to capacity of 12 and well, I like my small group. I will not continue forever in my home tho, so I will have to decide what I need/can do.
Little Star75 09:03 AM 02-20-2013
In Ca. (San Jose, Ca.) licensing regulations state that we must live in the same house where we run our daycare from. So for us in California the answer is no.
MarinaVanessa 09:03 AM 02-20-2013
I looked into becoming a center and found out quick that I didn't want to go that route!!
Yep I looked into it here to (CA) and no way I want to be a center. I wouldn't even recognize my daycare after all of the red tape and I'd have to have a ton of kids to be able to afford the fees and inspections.
blandino 09:23 AM 02-20-2013
We have a separate rental house that we use for daycare, and am licensed as a large in-home daycare (not a center).

It doesn't violate licensing for us to use a space that isn't our home - however it does violate a city ordinance. However, we live very close to the city limits - and our rental home is on an unplatted lot - so we are allowed to operate the daycare out of a space that we do not live in.

I too, do not wish to expand to or operate a center - but do not have young children in the house and very much agree with black cat that it is very hard to tolerate the children's mess and things in your home if you do not already have young children in the home.

Even when we had the daycare in our primary residence, it was completely separate (separate entrance and all). But it is even so much nicer now to be at a seperate house and have a separate kitchen, and all of my daycare items here.
williams2008 10:33 AM 02-20-2013
Thank you'll for your input!! I have a house in mind that I'm suppose to view later today after my husband gets off work, so keep your fingers crossed that it will be just what I am looking for!!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:14 AM 02-20-2013
I do. Also licensed as a center.
melilley 11:16 AM 02-20-2013
Thank you'll for your input!! I have a house in mind that I'm suppose to view later today after my husband gets off work, so keep your fingers crossed that it will be just what I am looking for!!!
Good luck!
williams2008 11:36 AM 02-20-2013
Good luck!
Thanks!!
MarinaVanessa 11:50 AM 02-20-2013
Good luck!!!! I hope it's super big with a great layout on a large lot and VERY inexpensive .
williams2008 12:02 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Good luck!!!! I hope it's super big with a great layout on a large lot and VERY inexpensive .
Thank you, I hope it's super big along with all those other things you listed as well!!
williams2008 12:15 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I do. Also licensed as a center.
Did you start at home first?
WoodOx 01:52 PM 02-20-2013
I did not know you could do that in other states.
I have heard of a daycare provider whom bought another house to live in. since she no longer lived in the daycare house she got in some trouble with licensing i guess some parent told on her. I just didnt understand what the problem was with her staying at another house. she was still there at her daycare during business hours.
Thetotspot 02:42 PM 02-20-2013
My daycare is a store front on main street. I love that i can go home and have that separation from work. And if a parent shows up early...and didnt ask...i dont have to deal with it...when i get there fifteen minutes before they are scheduled i simply remind them i dont luve here. But it can be frustrating if parents are late and i havent grown a backbone yet...i get upset knowing i have stuff to do at home and i dont know when ill be home to do it. I love that my daycare kids cant jump on my couches or break my computer or bang on my tv. We have tons of space here and everything has been modified to be child friendly. The only place kids cant go here is the back room which is my office slash baby sleeping room. So we enjoy the freedom. Im not full...only open seven months so far and its a tiny town. Im sure ill fill up though. I have 2 summer only. 3 full time. And 2 part time. Plus my two children. I have one full time position open at this time. Plus afternoon for remai der of school year.
williams2008 03:02 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Thetotspot:
My daycare is a store front on main street. I love that i can go home and have that separation from work. And if a parent shows up early...and didnt ask...i dont have to deal with it...when i get there fifteen minutes before they are scheduled i simply remind them i dont luve here. But it can be frustrating if parents are late and i havent grown a backbone yet...i get upset knowing i have stuff to do at home and i dont know when ill be home to do it. I love that my daycare kids cant jump on my couches or break my computer or bang on my tv. We have tons of space here and everything has been modified to be child friendly. The only place kids cant go here is the back room which is my office slash baby sleeping room. So we enjoy the freedom. Im not full...only open seven months so far and its a tiny town. Im sure ill fill up though. I have 2 summer only. 3 full time. And 2 part time. Plus my two children. I have one full time position open at this time. Plus afternoon for remai der of school year.

Reply Up