Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Unlicensed... Own Children.. Summer
lflick 09:09 AM 05-30-2013
Just curious as if any of you have school age children and how if effects the number of children you can care for? For example if your state says you can watch X amount of kids, including your own.... what happens in the summer when school is out? How do you handle this?
butterfly 09:11 AM 05-30-2013
In my state, my own school age children do not count in the numbers.
Cradle2crayons 09:13 AM 05-30-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Just curious as if any of you have school age children and how if effects the number of children you can care for? For example if your state says you can watch X amount of kids, including your own.... what happens in the summer when school is out? How do you handle this?
My kids don't count either.
rmc20021 09:13 AM 05-30-2013
I'm sure it would depend on which state you're in and what you're licensing rules are...but in Michigan it doesn't matter. If you have a child in care, no matter what the age then they count.

Now your own children do not count against your capacity after they are I believe 7 yo.

And it would also depend on if your state allows unlicensed/unregistered childcare. Michigan does not, so anyone caught caring for unrelated children in their homes receive a hefty fine.
Oneluckymom 09:18 AM 05-30-2013
California doesn't care they count all children, unless a parent is there supervising their own child. My own children count until age 10. It's a bummer because age 10 seems a bit old to count as a daycare child but oh well.
LaLa1923 09:26 AM 05-30-2013
Here in MD my children do not count after they turn 6..
Play Care 09:46 AM 05-30-2013
I'm in NY so once they are school aged they no longer count - even for vacations. This seems fair to me since they do their own thing after school and are signed up for camps/lessons during the summer.
Laurel 09:51 AM 05-30-2013
All children count in my numbers in our part of Florida until they are 12 (I think). When I first started child care they wanted to count my 16 year old son. I said "But he's in school all day!" She sympathized but said that was the law at that time. That has been changed but I'm not sure what the age is but I think 12.

Laurel
TheGoodLife 10:04 AM 05-30-2013
I'm in Nebraska, and I can care for up to 3 children w/o a license. My own children do not count toward that, no matter the age or how many.
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 05-30-2013
In MN all children count in your licensing capacity/ratios if they are under age 12. Doesn't matter if they are mine own kids or not. A kid is a kid.

I don't take SA kids but when I did, my license changed in the summer time from being allowed to have 10 kids to being able to take 14.

No more than 10 shall ever be under SA and you are required to have a helper age 13 or older if you take those 4 extra SA'ers.
e.j. 11:49 AM 05-30-2013
When my kids were SA, I had to count them in my numbers. It worked out well for me because I had dc parents who were teachers. I needed their spots for my own kids in the summer so I allowed those families to take the summer off without having to pay to guarantee their spot for the fall. Once my kids grew older and no longer counted in my numbers, that policy changed.
AnneCordelia 12:59 PM 05-30-2013
In Ontario Canada my own children do not count towards my numbers.
CrackerJacks 10:17 PM 05-30-2013
My dd counts in my ratio. The way I've always done it is..just count her. Whether she is here or not. I would rather have that space empty for the case when she needs to ctuky be here (spring break, summer, sick etc)
MissSarah 06:50 AM 05-31-2013
I'm in BC Canada and my kids don't count in my ratio so it was never a problem when they were younger. Now that they are 18 and 14 it really doesn't matter
lflick 08:50 AM 05-31-2013
Okay! Thank you for all of your input! I finally got a call back from the state for clarification. They said that my children do not count in my counts.. yay! One less headache!
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 05-31-2013
Okay! Thank you for all of your input! I finally got a call back from the state for clarification. They said that my children do not count in my counts.. yay! One less headache!
How old are your children and what state are you in?
lflick 09:02 AM 05-31-2013
I am in WI. My kids are school age (except 1 who is 4 months old). The older 4 are at their dads every other week so I was wondering how that would affect my capacity. The state said related/resident children, any age, are not counted towards the 3 that I can provide care for. I have been up in the air about licensing, and still kind of am, because I do not wish to have a large group of children rather a small group to help supplement lost income when I decided to not return to my job in health care. I would like to keep the option open to have a larger group in the future so I didn't want to overstep any boundaries initially.
Blackcat31 09:06 AM 05-31-2013
I am in WI. My kids are school age (except 1 who is 4 months old). The older 4 are at their dads every other week so I was wondering how that would affect my capacity. The state said related/resident children, any age, are not counted towards the 3 that I can provide care for. I have been up in the air about licensing, and still kind of am, because I do not wish to have a large group of children rather a small group to help supplement lost income when I decided to not return to my job in health care. I would like to keep the option open to have a larger group in the future so I didn't want to overstep any boundaries initially.
I was just curious because I thought I remembered that you were in Wisconsin and according to their guidelines (https://www.daycare.com/wisconsin/) the providers own children DO count in ratios UNLESS they are under age 7.

(scroll down to the area where it says Provider/Child Ratio)

I wish we didn't have to count our own children. I see their point but still, sometimes it makes no sense.
Reply Up