Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playing on the Shelves
snbauser 07:00 AM 02-20-2013
Do you allow the kids to play with their toys on the shelves, window sill, etc? This has always been a pet peeve of mine and I am trying to decide if I should get over it or continue to enforce it. It seems that no matter what the kids are playing with - cars, people, animals, blocks, etc - they play on top of the shelves and other toys instead of on the floor or on the tables. It mostly drives me crazy because they are standing in front of the shelves and no one else can get to whatever is on that shelf. But it is also much louder when they are racing, banging, tapping, whatever on the shelf compared to on the floor. Also my window sills are so dinged up from them playing on them. But I feel like I am consistently saying "toys on the floor" so I am debating whether I need to just ignore it. So, do you allow it?
Country Kids 07:05 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Do you allow the kids to play with their toys on the shelves, window sill, etc? This has always been a pet peeve of mine and I am trying to decide if I should get over it or continue to enforce it. It seems that no matter what the kids are playing with - cars, people, animals, blocks, etc - they play on top of the shelves and other toys instead of on the floor or on the tables. It mostly drives me crazy because they are standing in front of the shelves and no one else can get to whatever is on that shelf. But it is also much louder when they are racing, banging, tapping, whatever on the shelf compared to on the floor. Also my window sills are so dinged up from them playing on them. But I feel like I am consistently saying "toys on the floor" so I am debating whether I need to just ignore it. So, do you allow it?
Hate it with a passion and also on the table!!!!

I am constantly tell 1-2 of mine "ON THE FLOOR"
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 02-20-2013
I am pretty strict about my toy play.

All playing is done on the floor

ONE handed for trucks/cars etc (thanks Nan )

I do NOT allow standing at all.

If a child tries to use a toy on the window sill, wall or shelves, they lose the toy. Does NOT take long for any/all of them to figure out how to play on the floor.
snbauser 07:13 AM 02-20-2013
I am so glad I am not the only one. I was starting to wonder if it was just my personal issue or not.
williams2008 07:17 AM 02-20-2013
This drives me insane!!! I am constantly telling them, toys are to be played with on the floor!!
WDW 07:26 AM 02-20-2013
I love this thread! I hate when they bang toys on my furniture/windows, whatever. So nice to know I'm not alone. I have a young group right now and one newer one from a place where running wild and jumping on furniture was allowed... breaking that is taking way longer than I wanted it to!
Evansmom 07:27 AM 02-20-2013
Well I guess I'm the odd woman out bc I actually like it when the kids play at our table and we have huge window seats that they sit on and play at. It keeps little toys like tangrams and puzzle pieces off the floors and that means less tripping hazards. I have a very small group (2-3 daycare kids) and maybe this is the difference? I've been in the business 17 years and have had my own open 5 years so I'm not a novice. I just haven't had any problems with this.
itlw8 07:33 AM 02-20-2013
I allow lots freedom but I do not let them play on the shelves because it keeps the other children from getting things and putting them back. I also do not allow toys on the sofa because they get lost in the cushions.

The windows do not bother me as long as they are not being destructive. and I do allow cars on the table as long as they are not crashing them off the edge.

I also have a one hand on the floor when playing with trucks. it means they slow down because you almost have to be on your knees.
Heidi 07:37 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Well I guess I'm the odd woman out bc I actually like it when the kids play at our table and we have huge window seats that they sit on and play at. It keeps little toys like tangrams and puzzle pieces off the floors and that means less tripping hazards. I have a very small group (2-3 daycare kids) and maybe this is the difference? I've been in the business 17 years and have had my own open 5 years so I'm not a novice. I just haven't had any problems with this.
I'm the same way...In fact, one dcb is playing in the shelf right now. Like you, though, I have a small group, so they are rarely in each other's way.

The only thing I discourage is banging anything on the coffee table or windows. I have low windows. Beautiful natural light and a nice view of the woods, but always smeary..ick
mema 07:44 AM 02-20-2013
I don't let them play on the shelves either or sit right next to them. We have plenty of open floor and a kids table in the play area. We are downstairs, so I don't have to worry about the window ledges. I do have one that has started using his belly to push in the tote of toys on the shelf-that is one of pet peeves. Use your hands!
snbauser 07:53 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Well I guess I'm the odd woman out bc I actually like it when the kids play at our table
I have no problem with them playing at the table and actually the items that have smaller pieces have to be at the table. It's just the shelves and windows that bother me.
daycarediva 07:54 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am pretty strict about my toy play.

All playing is done on the floor

ONE handed for trucks/cars etc (thanks Nan )

I do NOT allow standing at all.

If a child tries to use a toy on the window sill, wall or shelves, they lose the toy. Does NOT take long for any/all of them to figure out how to play on the floor.
THIS!!!

I have a dcb who is CONSTANTLY and I do mean CONSTANTLY pushing the cars, butt in the air as fast as he can go. He has already chipped a tooth, and busted his lip open (3 stitches) and given himself a black eye. 3 different incidents ALL at home because of this type of play.

Everyone sits and ALL TOYS stay on the floor.
MarinaVanessa 08:18 AM 02-20-2013
For me toys stay where they are intended to be used.

No toys on the couch unless they are soft cuddly animals or books for some personal time (otherwise my couch swallows the smaller toys up and I can't get to them, I have a large and heavy sectional couch)

No toys on the tile ... the tile stays clear so that we have a clear walkway to the exits.

Puzzles, games, dough and manipulatives stay on the table.

All other toys like blocks, cars, duplos etc. stay on the rug.

I'd like to keep my furniture in as nice a condition as I can and allowing 6 kids + my own two to play with toys on my wood surfaces would just damage and scratch them so kids please ... keep the toys where they belong
wahmof3 08:52 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
For me toys stay where they are intended to be used.

No toys on the couch unless they are soft cuddly animals or books for some personal time (otherwise my couch swallows the smaller toys up and I can't get to them, I have a large and heavy sectional couch)

No toys on the tile ... the tile stays clear so that we have a clear walkway to the exits.

Puzzles, games, dough and manipulatives stay on the table.

All other toys like blocks, cars, duplos etc. stay on the rug.

I'd like to keep my furniture in as nice a condition as I can and allowing 6 kids + my own two to play with toys on my wood surfaces would just damage and scratch them so kids please ... keep the toys where they belong
I am the exact same way! Good to know I am not the only one bc sometimes I feel like I am too strict!
nannyde 10:25 AM 02-20-2013
Floor based play here. It's harder than playing at chest level or above. Humans do what is easiest. Easiest nets kids that don't get a good workout. Kids that get a good workout take long deep naps.

Naptime is the reason I do floor based play.
Lyss 10:51 AM 02-20-2013
I don't let my kids on the shelves or tables. My kids try to climb on the table to see outside but we eat on that table so I don't want them thinking its ok to climb on it. Of course all the DCKs get it but my DD is the one that is constantly testing this!

I brought out a toddler climber (without the top so its stairs, platform, slide) and put it next to the window where the table was, so they can climb on that and see outside. They don't try to climb on anything now that we have that out.
Lorna 11:28 AM 02-20-2013
I am constantly saying toys on the floor. I was allowing the table. But way too many toys hitting the floor. Like the hard plastic ones and learning toys that could get broken.
rmc20021 12:17 PM 02-20-2013
Oh my gosh...I haven't been this excited in years!

I felt I was the ONLY one who didn't allow playing on the shelves, window sills etc. and I felt horrible for it, but now I see I'm not such a bad guy after all.

I also tell the kids play on the floor with all toys, and I have some airplanes they want to fly through the air...I let them do it, but the plane itself must be below the chin level of the smallest child in care, and they cannot run, or even walk in circles (something about them starting out walking in a circle and it always leads to a fast walk, then into a run).

All matchbox cars etc must remain in hand at all times...no flying them over ramps etc because if another child happened to be in the line of fire, it could hit them in the face.

Thank you all so much for making me feel normal...now I can relay this message to my kids without the guilt.
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
All matchbox cars etc must remain in hand at all times...
Same here.

Here is a great video about one handed car play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LyRILn4gQ
spud912 01:18 PM 02-20-2013
I'm more laid back with this. I really don't care where they play with their toys as long as they are not all over the place and other kids are not tripping on it. Oh, and I don't like toys outside of the playroom (ie, no toys in the kitchen, in the living room, in the dining room, in the bathroom). Most of the kids play on the play table. I don't really have shelves (Ikea bins) and the windowsills are blocked by the blinds, but there are counters that I encourage play (a counter where a castle "dollhouse" is secured to, the play kitchen "counter," and the wooden workbench).

Then again, I'm a strange one that actually allows moderate amounts of active play in the house (including running ) as long as it doesn't get out of hand.
Thetotspot 02:27 PM 02-20-2013
I feel like the odd man out here but we have a huge sill that i actually set toys on for the kids and i arranged our shelving units to have a 3 ft by 2 foot low section in the middle specifically for kids to use if they would like. The kids occassionally even use the train table and light table for toys that arent related to that area...and as long as we are respectful i dont mind a bit. If we start banging on them or crawling on top the table to play with the toys...then ill correct them and that is simply for safety. Train tables arent meant to hold 25 pound children...and i dont want the table or the child to break!! Sometimes the children would rather play on the floor...but i find the children to become more engaged in their play when they are playing around a table that they can access from all directions that is low enough that they arent tip toeing...but high enough they dont have to kneel. For instance...we just got a light table. The second day it was there...a child built a small log cabin out of lincoln logs and used another long lincoln log as a car and two small logs as people and he parked the car by the house and was engaging in conversation with the other logs he pretended were people. At first i felt like stopping it...how dare he put wooden non translucent objects on my brand new light table...i stopped myself and reasoned that worse case scenario we get a scratch on the table...but like the plastic pieces and ceayons and glass we use on it wont scratch it...right? So instead i watched and noted this child has never touched a lincoln log in his entire time in my care. So the light table facilitated and interest...it facilitated learning and exploration...that is something i try to never stop. Now...fast forward a couple hours...the kid that tries to sit on said train table tried to reach across for a toy...couldnt reach...tried to climb up. I did stop him mid climb. The light table wSnt built for climbing.
Thetotspot 02:30 PM 02-20-2013
Excuse my typos. I am typing on my phone and either the keyboard takes up the entire screen or i can only see words on one side of the entry box. Oopsies.
daycarediva 02:35 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same here.

Here is a great video about one handed car play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LyRILn4gQ
The example of two handed car play is EXACTLY what my dcb does, and how he has been hurt at home on numerous occassions. His parents STILL won't carry that rule to home either.
Heidi 12:24 PM 02-21-2013
Originally Posted by Thetotspot:
I feel like the odd man out here but we have a huge sill that i actually set toys on for the kids and i arranged our shelving units to have a 3 ft by 2 foot low section in the middle specifically for kids to use if they would like. The kids occassionally even use the train table and light table for toys that arent related to that area...and as long as we are respectful i dont mind a bit. If we start banging on them or crawling on top the table to play with the toys...then ill correct them and that is simply for safety. Train tables arent meant to hold 25 pound children...and i dont want the table or the child to break!! Sometimes the children would rather play on the floor...but i find the children to become more engaged in their play when they are playing around a table that they can access from all directions that is low enough that they arent tip toeing...but high enough they dont have to kneel. For instance...we just got a light table. The second day it was there...a child built a small log cabin out of lincoln logs and used another long lincoln log as a car and two small logs as people and he parked the car by the house and was engaging in conversation with the other logs he pretended were people. At first i felt like stopping it...how dare he put wooden non translucent objects on my brand new light table...i stopped myself and reasoned that worse case scenario we get a scratch on the table...but like the plastic pieces and ceayons and glass we use on it wont scratch it...right? So instead i watched and noted this child has never touched a lincoln log in his entire time in my care. So the light table facilitated and interest...it facilitated learning and exploration...that is something i try to never stop. Now...fast forward a couple hours...the kid that tries to sit on said train table tried to reach across for a toy...couldnt reach...tried to climb up. I did stop him mid climb. The light table wSnt built for climbing.

Reply Up