Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do I Do With My Fireplace?
Lkurtyak 10:35 AM 05-10-2013
I have a large fireplace in my daycare room with a brick hearth that has become an issue for me. At first I was planning on using it for circle time, but found that the really little ones were wanting to climb it. I've tried using it as toy storage, blocking it with our table and the train table, but they still find a way. I have some very strong willed 1 year olds!

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. I'm contemplating just buying mats to put down on the floor and letting them climb it.

Thoughts?
Attached: IMG_2818.jpg (114.4 KB) 
melilley 10:44 AM 05-10-2013
I put pipe insulators on the edges of my fireplace (some people put pool noodles too, you just slit them down the middle) and then pillows in front of it and have a swing blocking a part of it. Licensing here requires us to put something on it to absorb a fall if they should fall into it. My kids never climb on mine.
I wouldn't let them climb on yours, if they fall and hurt themselves, you may have a lawsuit on your hands! All I can suggest is either block it somehow and lots and lots of redirection! Good luck!
melilley 10:45 AM 05-10-2013
I love your space by the way!
countrymom 10:53 AM 05-10-2013
right now they have cushions for outdoor swings, how about buying something like that and putting it down and the kids can sit on it.

or build a picket fence to cover it from end to end or something like that. I understand you about strong willed kids.

I like your space too. Nice warm colors.
daycare 11:00 AM 05-10-2013
mine is done just like yours. Too funny... what are the colorful little things hanging above the fire place? they look very cute....
Oneluckymom 11:05 AM 05-10-2013
What about a fire gate like this?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...QL._SY355_.jpg

Or cushions would help at the least.
MarinaVanessa 11:07 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
right now they have cushions for outdoor swings, how about buying something like that and putting it down and the kids can sit on it.

or build a picket fence to cover it from end to end or something like that. I understand you about strong willed kids.

I like your space too. Nice warm colors.
I was going to suggest keeping the fireplace covered too and just placing some sort of mats or cushioning for them to use as seating.
Lkurtyak 11:38 AM 05-10-2013
Thanks! You've all given me some great ideas. I'm not sure I can afford a big schamncy gate just yet, I'm relatively new at this, but maybe I can get my father in law to build something like a picket fence around it. Not a bad idea

[quote=
what are the colorful little things hanging above the fire place? they look very cute....[/QUOTE]

It's an alphabet chalkboard topper that I got from the teacher store. I staple-gunned it on cause my mantle is so ugly! Lol.
daycare 11:41 AM 05-10-2013
Originally Posted by Lkurtyak:
Thanks! You've all given me some great ideas. I'm not sure I can afford a big schamncy gate just yet, I'm relatively new at this, but maybe I can get my father in law to build something like a picket fence around it. Not a bad idea

It's an alphabet chalkboard topper that I got from the teacher store. I staple-gunned it on cause my mantle is so ugly! Lol.
oooh can you send me the link to it.....I would love to cover mine with that too. My fire place is way way ugly.....lol even though my house is not that old, it looks very 70s.....hahaha
Kelly 12:09 PM 05-10-2013
I used an old crib to make a barrier around mine. The ends are attached to the brick and I can lift out the center part if I want to. We don't use the fireplace (hoping to convert it to gas eventually though) so I just store cots, blankets, etc in there.

If someone can tell me how I'll post a pic of it here.
Starburst 10:25 PM 05-10-2013
How about one of those big 3 fold cardboard poster boards? just thick cardboard; not the Styrofoam ones
http://www.showboard.com/

You can put them on the perimeter of the stones to create a visible barrier (sometimes that's all they need is a visible line or something to take it out of sight). You can get about 2 or three of them and hot glue the bottoms of them(or put those magic hook stickers) to the stone surrounding the fire place for extra re-enforcement until you can save up for the gates.
KnoxMom 07:30 AM 05-11-2013
I'd consider purchasing bench cushions and simply turning it into a seating area. I would not encourage climbing. Might also make a nice stage for a puppet theater :-)
TheirEmi 08:18 AM 05-11-2013
i collected old quilts for years and when my own lil ones were pulling up and climbing on my brick hearth, i covered it thickly with my quilts, put floor pillows on top. It made it safe for the kiddos and extra seating for adults at parties.
My own kids are now in their twenties, but I have kept all ages kids since and the quilt trick has worked well....and the wear and tear on the quilts was minimal.
crunchymama 09:12 AM 05-11-2013
I bought one of the $60 superyard gates from walmart and used 4 panels of it to gate out fireplace off. On each side of the fireplace hearth and I put 2 large eye hooks and the gate just hooked right into them. It was stable, didn't look awful, wasn't expensive, and approved by licensing.
Reply Up