Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Redirect...
Hunni Bee 11:27 AM 06-07-2013
...talking?? Lol.

I have a dcb who at every transition will run up to me and say "Ms. ---, guess what?...cue long random story. He most often does at cleanup times, and I thought it might be to get out of cleaning up, because he has a hard time with cleanup. But he does it at other times too...usually important times when when we're about to start something or go somewhere. Which causes to miss directions, not pay attention to what he's doing, etc.

I have been just cutting him off and "Okay, go do x." If he comes back and starts again I say "No, go finish x." Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I do feel a little bad about cutting him off. I talk with him alot during other times, though.
My3cents 11:31 AM 06-07-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
...talking?? Lol.

I have a dcb who at every transition will run up to me and say "Ms. ---, guess what?...cue long random story. He most often does at cleanup times, and I thought it might be to get out of cleaning up, because he has a hard time with cleanup. But he does it at other times too...usually important times when when we're about to start something or go somewhere. Which causes to miss directions, not pay attention to what he's doing, etc.

I have been just cutting him off and "Okay, go do x." If he comes back and starts again I say "No, go finish x." Repeat, repeat, repeat.

I do feel a little bad about cutting him off. I talk with him alot during other times, though.
simple directions...

go play toys
go clean up toys
clean up time

It sounds like he is good at changing the subject. and repeat, repeat, repeat and then repeat again, then say nothing or ask him.........What did I say? All the above in nice tone but to the point.
AmyKidsCo 06:18 PM 06-07-2013
My 8 yr old is like that too! His teacher said she made a "One Zach Story per Subject" rule. I think she's got tons more patience than I do!
Thetotspot 06:26 PM 06-07-2013
Oh my, all the children have been doing that to me lately during "one-on-ones." I haven't mastered the "simple directions yet." But, if I am working with one child on a specific task or I am seriously busy trying to take care of something, I will redirect by stating very very sweetly "Miss Sue is helping Johnny out right now, I'll be with you as soon as I'm done." Yes, I do follow-through with this, when I am done I will make sure to go get some more face time in with the child that was needing attention. Yes, this is a huge waste of breath to do this over and over as well. I agree, simple directions would be best. I need to work on that, personally.
Reply Up