Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Open Door Policy NY Daycare
Ktkate1050 10:43 AM 04-22-2019
I am currently employed as a lead teacher at a daycare that has a open door policy. Meaning they allow the parents to drop in whenever they want to see there kids. I don’t disagree with PARENTS being able to drop in wheneverbut recently my room has become a somewhat visitation center for other family members (Grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.) it is getting a bit out of control and causing a disturbance to our rountine and schedule. I am just wondering if anyone knows what the policy In NY for such a thing is and also if that policy should be for PARENTS only.
Cat Herder 10:56 AM 04-22-2019
Most States have an access rule.

Directors and Owners get to decide how to enforce it.

Most go "full access" until something bad happens (like the non-custodial/wifey 2.0 stabbing and shooting cases), then they reel it back to "Parents may visit at any time but must take their children with them when they leave."

This little magic solution has saved much employee turnover.

Hint: They don't want to take them home early.
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 04-22-2019
The rule in NY reads:

(8) (i) The parent of a child receiving care must have: unlimited and on demand access to such child; the right to inspect all parts of the building used for child day care or which could present a hazard to the health or safety of the child whenever the parent requests at any time during the hours of operation of the child day care center; unlimited and on demand access to the provider whenever such child is in care or during the normal hours of operation; and unlimited and on demand access to written records concerning such child except where access to such records is otherwise restricted by law;

It says nothing about other relatives
Cat Herder 11:38 AM 04-22-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It says nothing about other relatives

It also says nothing about access to other children.

As a parent, I'd be lobbying my State to get rid of the "unlimited" adult visitation in childcare classrooms as this is a known opportunity for grooming by child predators. They will no longer be strangers to your children.

Giving birth, paying for care or having subsidy pay for you does not make one safe to be around children. Prisons are full of parents.

Let parents visits with their own children happen in a visitation room or during scheduled parent events. I'd never want other parents to have access to my children without my being there. They can observe the classroom dynamics just as well through a glass window.
Ariana 12:55 PM 04-22-2019
In our teaching daycare at the college there were two way mirrors so the children had no idea people were there. People had to sign in and out to observe. To me it is the only reasonable way to enforce this law.
LostMyMarbles 01:08 PM 04-22-2019
[quote=Cat Herder;700961]Most States have an access rule.

Directors and Owners get to decide how to enforce it.

Most go "full access" until something bad happens (like the non-custodial/wifey 2.0 stabbing and shooting cases), then they reel it back to "Parents may visit at any time but must take their children with them when they leave."

This little magic solution has saved much employee turnover.

Hint: They don't want to take them home early.[/QUOT

wife 2.0 oh my! I am cracking up over that one. That’s is the laugh I needed today! I’m laughing so hard I can barely type.
Cat Herder 01:11 PM 04-22-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
In our teaching daycare at the college there were two way mirrors so the children had no idea people were there. People had to sign in and out to observe. To me it is the only reasonable way to enforce this law.
And it is super cheap and easy, now. $25 for a 6 ft roll of window film on Amazon. I have it on my own playroom window, in my home. If parents start knocking on the window and calling their kid, they go home. Reoccurance, termination. https://www.amazon.com/Window-Contro...-1-spons&psc=1
Cat Herder 01:34 PM 04-22-2019
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
wife 2.0 oh my! I am cracking up over that one. That’s is the laugh I needed today! I’m laughing so hard I can barely type.
And as a second wife/stepmother to one, I mean no disrespect to the ones who know, respect and follow their boundaries.

We all know a high conflict story or two of "my yard".
Tags:drop in, open door policy, open doors, visitation, visiting relatives
Reply Up