Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do When Everyone Is Pregnant?!?
SunflowerMama 08:43 AM 07-18-2011
I have 3 moms expecting and one that just delivered last Wednesday. I don't know what is in the water here but the 3 expecting are all due within 2 months of each other.

I'm licensed so per ratio numbers can only have 2 infants with my current group of older kids. I've already agreed to watch the one that was just recently born starting in October when mom is done with maternity.

So that leaves 3 infants for essentially one spot. Everyone started with me about the same time so how do you decide who gets the spot?

My only saving grace is that I have 4 going to kindergarten next Fall but that's still a good 5 months after most of the babies are born and I would still need a variance, if my state even allows that.

What would you do? Would you deal with this now or wait until closer to when the babies are born? I just don't want people to make assumptions that I'll be able to watch their baby and then last minute be stuck without a provider.

Any thoughts?
Meeko 09:18 AM 07-18-2011
The parents should have taken the responsibility of checking with you before now! I would just do it as first come/first served. (Unless you have favorite parents and/or children).

Those that complain afterwards, just need to be told that as they didn't do anything to secure the spot, it has gone already.
Country Kids 09:27 AM 07-18-2011
Maybe have a meeting with all the parents and explain the dilema? I would have probably addressed this a few months ago though when everyone was getting closer to their due dates.
familyschoolcare 09:36 AM 07-18-2011
I would say first come first severed. If you are relay worried about parents getting their feelings hurt then I would put out a letter indicating that although you would love to have everyone new and little sibling you only have room for one more infant per licensing requirements. This is an excellent time to put the lack of room for the infant where it belongs on the licensing requirement regardless to wither or not you agree with the guidelines are not.
squareone 11:47 AM 07-18-2011
First paid first served. The first one who puts the contract and the money in your hand gets the spot. They should sign the contract and pay whatever your holding fee is...including the mom that you gave the verbal promise to since things may change between now and October.

If these moms were on the ball they should have already inquired about your availability for their new baby. Then again, for all we know they may be planning to pull the sibling and taking both children elsewhere.

If you already have a preferred family that you would like to give the space to I would offer it to them first. Otherwise, I would offer the spot to the parents in order of their due date. Tell the first mom that you would like to know what her plans are after the baby is born and since she is due first you are giving her priority for the one spot that you have available. If she says they want to stay with you tell her that you will need a contract and holding fee 1 week from today or you will need to offer the space to the next family.
cheerfuldom 11:49 AM 07-18-2011
has anyone said for sure that they want to work with you? or maybe some moms are considering staying at home now. I would offer the spot to the family that I want to work with the most instead of waiting to see who talks to you. I would also require a signed contract and non-refundable deposit.
SunflowerMama 12:40 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
has anyone said for sure that they want to work with you? or maybe some moms are considering staying at home now. I would offer the spot to the family that I want to work with the most instead of waiting to see who talks to you. I would also require a signed contract and non-refundable deposit.
I just talked to the last one today and they all want to stay here so now it's a bit of a dilema. I may just take the one that's due first and tell the other 2 that they'll have to wait until August when all my 5 yr olds head to kinder.

what kind of deposit would you charge? I'm thinking about just a deposit and not a weekly/monthy holding fee until the babies come.
SandeeAR 01:04 PM 07-18-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
what kind of deposit would you charge? I'm thinking about just a deposit and not a weekly/monthy holding fee until the babies come.

I charge Half their regular fee, due weekly on Monday morning (or Friday afternoon). NON refundable. Plus they sign a contract. My regular contract, with an added form that states that the terms of the weekly deposit and that it is non refundable.

I've been taking a deposit for about 8 weeks now. Baby is due any day. She plans to take off 12 weeks, so I won't see baby until October.
Tags:pregnant
Reply Up