Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Keeping House Fresh
mamamanda 07:35 AM 06-24-2015
How do you keep your home /daycare area smelling fresh? We eat a lot of steamed broccoli and the house always stinks afterwards. Also we have a dog & cat so I worry about people being able to smell them even though I clean like crazy. All my plug ins are down low so I worry about using a scented plug in with the kids.
childcaremom 08:57 AM 06-24-2015
I have cats and teenage boys. I keep the windows open. A lot.
midaycare 10:16 AM 06-24-2015
2 big dogs, 2 cats, 6 fish, 1 boy, 6 daycare kids, and lots of smelly cooking here.

I use air fresheners, candles, open windows whenever possible, and clean. With pets it's important to vacuum a lot.
daycarediva 10:18 AM 06-24-2015
At arrival and departure times I put my oven on it's lowest setting, pour a tiny bit of imitation vanilla in an old cracked coffee cup and pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes (you can get any scented oil, I love orange, too!) The entire house smells AMAZING.

My issue with odor is mainly one daycare child who has terrible BO.
Thriftylady 10:34 AM 06-24-2015
My issue is my cats. I have one who is fixed, but still sprays and it is horrible to keep up with. Even on my best day I think my house still has the odor. I have thought of getting rid of the cat, but he is my baby other than that issue. I wish I had an answer, my windows are always open it seems, I shampoo carpets often, etc. If you find an answer I would love to hear it.
AuntTami 10:45 AM 06-24-2015
I have a rather expensive air purifier that does an AMAZING job at keeping the smells out of my house. I have 2 large dogs, and a husband who does manual labor so he comes home smelling ripe... It was necessary. Even with all the windows closed, it takes out all the odors from the air. It's also a purifier so it sucks up the germs in the air. I could go on and on. I love it. Other than that, lots of open windows. I keep at least 2 cracked at all times.
MissAnn 11:07 AM 06-24-2015
Essential oils in a diffuser. Cuts down on germs too.
jenboo 11:20 AM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Essential oils in a diffuser. Cuts down on germs too.
This. I love diffusing purify.
Rockgirl 11:23 AM 06-24-2015
I agree with lots of vacuuming. Also, I have 2 scentsy warmers...I buy the $2 scents at Walmart ten at a time, and refill daily (2 squares in each warmer).
mamamanda 12:05 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I have a rather expensive air purifier that does an AMAZING job at keeping the smells out of my house. I have 2 large dogs, and a husband who does manual labor so he comes home smelling ripe... It was necessary. Even with all the windows closed, it takes out all the odors from the air. It's also a purifier so it sucks up the germs in the air. I could go on and on. I love it. Other than that, lots of open windows. I keep at least 2 cracked at all times.
What kind of purifier do you use? I've thought of buying one, but wasn't sure if they actually work.
Leigh 12:23 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
My issue is my cats. I have one who is fixed, but still sprays and it is horrible to keep up with. Even on my best day I think my house still has the odor. I have thought of getting rid of the cat, but he is my baby other than that issue. I wish I had an answer, my windows are always open it seems, I shampoo carpets often, etc. If you find an answer I would love to hear it.
Have you tried Prozac for the cat? Seriously, it works better than yelling and praying! Just wanted you to know it's an option.
Controlled Chaos 12:41 PM 06-24-2015
I have a scented candle (fresh linen, lavender or vanilla are my favs) and I burn it for about an hour at drop off and after nap through drop off. I got through one giant candle every two weeks or so. I also try to open windows at night when its cool to get some fresh air in

Oh and get dishes rinsed off quick, lemon in the disposal and take out trash often.
Thriftylady 12:54 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Have you tried Prozac for the cat? Seriously, it works better than yelling and praying! Just wanted you to know it's an option.
No I hadn't. I had thought of it for me over the issue though.
sahm1225 03:55 PM 06-24-2015
Or try odoban. My cat wont got near it after I spray it.. She is a sprayer when she is mad at me so she will often find another spot to go to though

I'm curious about the Prozac and might ask my vet about it. They keep telling us to treat her for utis but it's never ending. I swear she only does it when something Is bugging her (like God forbid I fed the dog before her!)
Leigh 04:38 PM 06-24-2015
No I hadn't. I had thought of it for me over the issue though.
It COULD help. There's something else called Clomicalm or something like that, too. I've heard good things about Prozac, though.
AuntTami 04:53 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
What kind of purifier do you use? I've thought of buying one, but wasn't sure if they actually work.
It's called a defender. It's from the company "FilterQueen" similar to a rainbow in general idea but no nasty water to change.
BrooklynM 04:53 PM 06-24-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I agree with lots of vacuuming. Also, I have 2 scentsy warmers...I buy the $2 scents at Walmart ten at a time, and refill daily (2 squares in each warmer).
I use my scentsy warmer too! I also have windows open for a lot of the day and I have my diaper bin outside off my patio so I don't have diapers in the house. As for my shedding dog baby (she really is like a baby, I use the furminator brush on her and the furminator shampoo and conditioner, it really helps!
Baby Beluga 09:02 PM 06-24-2015
Open windows, dirty diapers immediately go outside, trash gets emptied at least once a day, bleach down the garbage disposal and scentsy.
Play Care 03:22 AM 06-25-2015
I can't really do scents, most make me itch and sneeze
The exception is Yankee Candle room freshener beads. Very light scent but they absorb the orders. I use it in the dc bathroom (out of reach of the kids of course) and it works nicely.

Open windows (even in winter), diapers go out immediately, garbage is changed nightly. We love to eat fish for dinner, so I feel your pain
Thriftylady 07:46 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I can't really do scents, most make me itch and sneeze
The exception is Yankee Candle room freshener beads. Very light scent but they absorb the orders. I use it in the dc bathroom (out of reach of the kids of course) and it works nicely.

Open windows (even in winter), diapers go out immediately, garbage is changed nightly. We love to eat fish for dinner, so I feel your pain
I have issues with a lot of scents also but I can do candles I guess because they are not as strong. I also do a cracked window even in winter but not sure it always helps. I have not heard of the room freshener beads, I am curious of those now. I may get some and try them for my house. Thanks to the OP for posting this!
AmyLeigh 07:59 AM 06-25-2015
Baking soda and vinegar work to remove odors, separately and together. The vinegar smell goes away after it has dried completely.
There is also some product, the name escapes me now, that I found at Home Depot. It's a mesh bag filled with rocks (lava, I think) that is supposed to remove odors as well.
Thriftylady 08:27 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Baking soda and vinegar work to remove odors, separately and together. The vinegar smell goes away after it has dried completely.
There is also some product, the name escapes me now, that I found at Home Depot. It's a mesh bag filled with rocks (lava, I think) that is supposed to remove odors as well.
I use a ton of vinegar it is an awesome cleaner as is the baking soda. But I still get odors in the home.
Annalee 08:51 AM 06-25-2015
I use a ton of vinegar it is an awesome cleaner as is the baking soda. But I still get odors in the home.
I like to use vinegar on some things as well but my favorite is the old bleach solution...it works for me. I do not like to spray deodorizers, burn candles or use plugins because, to me, the only thing worse than a stinky smell is a covered up stinkly smell....
KiddieCahoots 09:37 AM 06-25-2015
I know this is drastic, and not saying everybody should just go tearing up their carpets......but once I did, my house does not have that pet/musty smell anymore, especially when it's humid. Now I just use Yankee candles and regular cleaning.
mamamanda 10:54 AM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I know this is drastic, and not saying everybody should just go tearing up their carpets......but once I did, my house does not have that pet/musty smell anymore, especially when it's humid. Now I just use Yankee candles and regular cleaning.
We got new carpet this year & it made a world of difference! I just can't figure out the broccoli smell though. They love it, but my husband always complains"What's that smell!?!" as soon as he walks through the door so I'm sure my parents feel that way too.
Thriftylady 11:21 AM 06-25-2015
I know that would make a difference here. But it is a rental. We have been here nine years and need new carpet, but the landlord will never go for it if it costs him more than a couple pennies.
KiddieCahoots 04:17 PM 06-25-2015
Totally off topic.......

But this thread reminds me of when I was a kid and went to church during the Lent season, for Friday Stations of the Cross. The whole church smelled like fish from the faithful ...
Some smells are just so potent
mamamanda 05:44 PM 06-25-2015
Totally off topic.......

But this thread reminds me of when I was a kid and went to church during the Lent season, for Friday Stations of the Cross. The whole church smelled like fish from the faithful ...
Some smells are just so potent
Haha��
m.kids1301 06:45 PM 06-25-2015

I just happened to see this... you need to watch "My Cat From Hell" with Jackson Galaxy if you can or you might be able to look him online. He really understands cats!!! We used to have a neutered male and a spayed female cat that sprayed all the time in our house when I was a kid! My mom was too cat crazy to do much about it... but that smell... Anyway, Jackson said that's all about a cat going bonkers because other cats outside are invading his/her territory and the indoor cat doesn't feel in control at all of the situation. One of the things he told people to do on the show is take the cat outside on a leash and walk it around the property so it can then mark it's territory and repel other cats from coming so close. There's more to it probably, but I'm sure you can get ideas from him on his site. I wish I'd known this stuff when we had those cats way back then when I was young!!!
Thriftylady 07:05 PM 06-25-2015
Originally Posted by m.kids1301:
I just happened to see this... you need to watch "My Cat From Hell" with Jackson Galaxy if you can or you might be able to look him online. He really understands cats!!! We used to have a neutered male and a spayed female cat that sprayed all the time in our house when I was a kid! My mom was too cat crazy to do much about it... but that smell... Anyway, Jackson said that's all about a cat going bonkers because other cats outside are invading his/her territory and the indoor cat doesn't feel in control at all of the situation. One of the things he told people to do on the show is take the cat outside on a leash and walk it around the property so it can then mark it's territory and repel other cats from coming so close. There's more to it probably, but I'm sure you can get ideas from him on his site. I wish I'd known this stuff when we had those cats way back then when I was young!!!
Mine is an indoor/outdoor cat he comes and goes as he pleases or I would try that!
injaymama 09:03 PM 06-25-2015
All those smells are inevitable in a daycare/home setting. Covering them up with chemical scents such as candles, plug-ins, sprays, etc is just, well, covering them up. Those things do not get rid of bacteria or odors. Plus, you are exposing yourself and the kiddos to synthetic chemicals that are horrible for everyone but especially for anyone with asthma/allergy/respiratory issues. Why do you think you get a headache when you smell all those scents? Because they're artificial, synthetic chemicals. In my home care, I use the best, purest, essential oils that not only KILL odors but also bacteria, viruses, and are antiseptic, as well. I use them in a diffuser to disperse them in the air, in spray bottles for cleaning everything including toys ( won't harm kids-actually is beneficial) and for my personal healthcare. Why use something full of chemicals when you can use something completely pure and natural! All from nature!
Unregistered 05:45 AM 06-26-2015
Poopy Diapers go out to a covered bin. Wet diapers go out at night. Fresh air is important, so I always have windows open in warm months. Things stay fresh smelling basically. I do use wax melts, not to cover smells, but because I like them!
Baby Beluga 07:36 AM 06-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
At arrival and departure times I put my oven on it's lowest setting, pour a tiny bit of imitation vanilla in an old cracked coffee cup and pop it in the oven for 15-20 minutes (you can get any scented oil, I love orange, too!) The entire house smells AMAZING.

My issue with odor is mainly one daycare child who has terrible BO.
Do you think this would work if I put a few drops of vanilla in a wax warmer?
Kim's Sweet-Tots 04:12 PM 06-26-2015
Wow what a great idea! Ive never thought or heard of doing that. I also worry a lot about the house smelling so I use a lot of fragrant dispensers and plug ins, candles, etc! I always spray Lysol after dirty diapers and also b4 drop off and pick up times.
Kim's Sweet-Tots 04:14 PM 06-26-2015
I love my smelling nice regardless if I have anyone here or not. My dirty diapers also go outside. Everyone has their own preference of what to use.
Kim's Sweet-Tots 04:15 PM 06-26-2015
I don't know why the warmer wouldn't work. I think ill try it!
Tags:house cleaners, sents
Reply Up