Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice From Any Nurses On Here
Little People 06:37 AM 03-10-2011
I have had a dcg for the last about 12 days that keeps running a fever. Mom kept her home last week Mon and Tues she ran a fever again of 102. Then again on Friday, mom picked her up right away. Then again she ran fever Sunday and mom kept her home again. She has had 100 all week and this morning it was 102.2 and mom turned around and came back and got her.

Mom had her to the DR. and he said is was a horrible cold. Mom said the only thing Dr. did not check for was the Flu, because it was a painful test.

I told Mom dcg could not return until I have a Dr note. She said she called the Dr. and has an appt. for noon today.

My question is: I have never been tested for the flu, but is her Dr. correct, that testing for the flue is painful?

I am at lost with this fever with this dcg (20mts). She has a horrible runny nose and when she sleeps her breathing is hard.
dEHmom 06:41 AM 03-10-2011
funny, i've never heard of a flu test other than "vomiting?" "yes" "diarrhea?" "yes" ok, you have the flu. hahahahaha. I know there is a test for H1N1 but I have no idea if it's painful.

It doesn't sound like flu to me. I know of a few childhood illnesses such as recently discussed fifths disease (slap cheek) and even sixths disease (roseola). They have fevers constantly until they break into a rash, and then it's over.
Little People 06:48 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
funny, i've never heard of a flu test other than "vomiting?" "yes" "diarrhea?" "yes" ok, you have the flu. hahahahaha. I know there is a test for H1N1 but I have no idea if it's painful.

It doesn't sound like flu to me. I know of a few childhood illnesses such as recently discussed fifths disease (slap cheek) and even sixths disease (roseola). They have fevers constantly until they break into a rash, and then it's over.
She has no diarrhea and no rash. I never heard of fifths disease. I will google it. Thanks!
dEHmom 06:51 AM 03-10-2011
fifths is slap cheek. There are a few threads on here already.

sixths is roseola or baby measles.

Both of these went around where I live in Canada.
countrymom 07:09 AM 03-10-2011
I bet you she has an ear infection. I have never ever heard of flu testing, how do you test the flu.
Little People 07:18 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I bet you she has an ear infection. I have never ever heard of flu testing, how do you test the flu.
I had never heard of a flu testing either. This is what dcm told me. She said the Dr said she was fine and only had a horrible cold. She said the Dr said tested her for everything except a flu test and that it was painful.
momatheart 07:20 AM 03-10-2011
What about checking for phenmonia (sp?).

Poor dcg I hope she gets better soon.
dEHmom 07:20 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I bet they just do a needle and charge $$$$$$$$ and by the time results come back, the kids already had the symptoms, and are on the mend. LOL.

I was thinking ear infection too. But Usually by then the body would've manifested the infection in another way. With ear/nose/throat infections, the buildup would start oozing in other places. Gross i know, but the green stuff will squeeze out the eyes and nose too, if there is ear infections. Not always, but it does happen.
DCMomOf3 07:49 AM 03-10-2011
I was thinking ear infection too. But Usually by then the body would've manifested the infection in another way. With ear/nose/throat infections, the buildup would start oozing in other places. Gross i know, but the green stuff will squeeze out the eyes and nose too, if there is ear infections. Not always, but it does happen.
this is true, I have a DCB whos last two EIs came out the eyes and nose.
Little People 08:03 AM 03-10-2011
I bet they just do a needle and charge $$$$$$$$ and by the time results come back, the kids already had the symptoms, and are on the mend. LOL.

I am so puzzled on this dcg, she was seen by her Dr. 2x in 2 weeks. No ear infection. She has no green stuff from the nose or ears. She has a clear runny nose that is running like a freight train. Her eyes are clear no green stuff.
Mom is supposed to call me again after Dr appt.
GG~DAYCARE 08:05 AM 03-10-2011
The test for the flu is by way of a nasal swab. It may feel funny but it is by no means painful.
Any fever lasting more than 3 days needs to be evaluated by a doc again. Thas what I was always told if my any one of my 5 children had fevers that lingered.
Lilbutterflie 08:11 AM 03-10-2011
Our pediatrician will do flu tests if he suspects, it's a nose swab like the pp stated. Not painful at all! Uncomfortable for a split second maybe.

Even if it is the flu, fever for 12 days is not normal. Definitely stick to your guns! My contract says I will not accept Dr notes for returning to care if it goes against my illness policy (which means I would still not accept her back if she was still running a fever, regardless of a Dr note to clear her). I am sure the parents are frustrated though... that's a lot of missed work!

I hope the Dr is able to find out what is wrong and get her better! Keep us posted!
Little People 08:19 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Our pediatrician will do flu tests if he suspects, it's a nose swab like the pp stated. Not painful at all! Uncomfortable for a split second maybe.

Even if it is the flu, fever for 12 days is not normal. Definitely stick to your guns! My contract says I will not accept Dr notes for returning to care if it goes against my illness policy (which means I would still not accept her back if she was still running a fever, regardless of a Dr note to clear her). I am sure the parents are frustrated though... that's a lot of missed work!

I hope the Dr is able to find out what is wrong and get her better! Keep us posted!
This is a really good dcm, always comes right at 8:30 and always picks up at 3:20-3:25, always pays on time and if she takes a day off work, she keeps her children at home. She has missed some days the last couple of weeks. And poor thing only works 30 hours a week and is struggling. I love her and the children so much!! The children are excellent children!

Thank you and I will keep you posted!
GG~DAYCARE 08:41 AM 03-10-2011
Maybe its a whopping sinus infection. When my ds was in 4th grade he had one so bad he was on IV antibiotics at home for a month!!! Hope your little one gets the correct treatment and is feeling better soon!! I know when one of my littles are sick I feel so badly!
MG&Lsmom 08:52 AM 03-10-2011
One of my dcbs and both parents also had the flu. I guess there is a strain not covered by the flu shot that is going around here. And after it's over all the kids are ending up with 2nd infections in the ears, throat, and sinuses. One little girl I heard about got pink eye so badly she was hospitalized. She had the flu 2 weeks prior. Poor kids immune systems are just not handling this season very well.

A friend's 2yo had the flu, was tested, not sure what the test actually was. She just couldn't shake the fever, but other symptoms were mild cold like. They had results in 24hrs.
Kaddidle Care 09:21 AM 03-10-2011
I wonder if they checked for UTI. Sometimes that leaves a fever running for a long period if undetected.

Obviously her body is fighting something.
Blackcat31 09:59 AM 03-10-2011
I hope it is nothing serious......I had a friend in college who had a dd that ran a fever on and off for about 6 weeks and the doctors could never figure out the problem...they finally did a white blood cell count and saw her counts were off the charts.

It turned out she had leukemia. She is thankfully okay (she is 22 yrs old now) but the whole ordeal was horrible and sad. The prolonged fevers were the only symptom the parents noticed.
QualiTcare 10:06 AM 03-10-2011
yup, it's a nose swab - and definitely might look painful to a mom watching it be done to their child. i'm positive the doctor didn't suggest not to do it bc it was "painful" - more like the mom couldn't handle watching. my kids have had them - it sucked to watch. she should consider growing up and stepping away while the nurse gets the job done if she can't handle watching.
Little People 01:47 PM 03-10-2011
Mom called and poor baby has 2 ear infections!!
broncomom1973 02:02 PM 03-10-2011
I used to work as a lab nurse before I started my daycare and yes, as other posters have stated, it is a nasal swab. It is not painful and I used to swab patients and perform the test right then and there. It takes 10 minutes and either comes up as negative, influenza A or influenza B. Honestly, it is no worse than a child being swabbed for strep, only it is in the nose.

I see that you posted that she has bilateral ear infection. Poor child, at least now they can put her on an antibiotic and get it treated.

Parents really need to be persistant. I took ds in yesterday for a cough he has had for several weeks (took him in several weeks ago and they said his lungs were fine). I got him in to see a different provider yesterday and although his lungs sounded fine, this new provider ordered a chest x-ray (because he started running a fever 2 days ago and throat and ears look fine but he does have runny nose) and sure enough he has pneumonia. Always go with your gut if you think something is wrong.
JenNJ 03:17 PM 03-10-2011
Poor kiddo! EIs can be painful. I know my kids can feel them a full 2 days before the dr can see it and prescribe an antibiotic for it. It sucks.
Grandmaof6 05:22 AM 03-11-2011
I've had the same situation here with 23m twin dcg. They have now been to the doctor three time the first two times the doctor said it was EI. On Tuesday they took them in and they have rsv. I think the testing for that is the same as it is for the flu.
Little People 06:02 AM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by Paula:
I've had the same situation here with 23m twin dcg. They have now been to the doctor three time the first two times the doctor said it was EI. On Tuesday they took them in and they have rsv. I think the testing for that is the same as it is for the flu.
Aww, hope your little one get better soon too!! My little one is back today and is happy and playing!! She is 20mts and the sweetest little thing, she plays so well and is a lovely child to be around!!
Tags:fever, flu, influenza a, influenza b, sick
Reply Up