Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant- Taking Time Off After Baby Is Born
jennajury 09:57 AM 11-03-2011
I am pregnant with my first child. 5 and 1/2 monthes. I have been going back and forth on how to handle time off after my son is born. Since this is my first child I would really like to take 4 weeks unpaid time off. I feel this is pretty fair because 1. it's my first child I'm not sure what to expect and I really want to spend time with him. and 2. I'm not sure what will happen with recovery so I want to give myself plenty of time for it. and 3. I honestly do not think any of my parents will care (I have amazing parents) however I have been told by quite a few people (not dc parents) that I didn't need that long off and that I could go back to work a week afterwards. Why is it so wrong for me to want to get used to this new little person in my life and focus only on him? Not sure what to do yet, what do you suggest?
cheerfuldom 10:33 AM 11-03-2011
I suggest you take as much time off as possible. You could always re-open sooner if you feel up to it. You can't know what your recovery or adjustment will be like after baby is born and like you said, you should be selfish right now and just spend as much time as possible with your new little one. I don't think you will regret taking more time off but you may regret not taking enough. I would never recommend one week off with a first baby....who is recommending that? I was working one week after my third was born but that was because it was an easy recovery, easy baby and great daycare situation. Have you talked to your DC parents at all? Do you know what they could or could not handle?
wdmmom 10:40 AM 11-03-2011
I took 2 1/2 weeks off with my first before returning to work.

I took 3 weeks off with my second.

I took 4 with my third.

And I only took a week off with my forth.

It's dependent on how you feel. I'd tell parents UP TO 4 weeks. Contact them 2 weeks after you have the baby and tell them if you will take the full 4 weeks or if you are ready to get back into the swing of things sooner.
lil angels 10:47 AM 11-03-2011
I took 4 weeks with my first.
I took 6 weeks with my second I felt so robbed the first time around and I am so glad that I did more with the second I just paid all of my bills a month ahead so I didn't have to worry about it and enjoyed my own kids for a bit. I wish I could have had a bit more but it was nice getting back in the swin of things.
jennajury 11:10 AM 11-03-2011
Yes I have talked to DCP alittle bit about it however I have not given them a set time yet. I will tell them probably in the next few weeks for sure that I am taking 4 weeks off. I'm not to worried about it with DCP and financially my husband and I have it worked out. I think it may just be one of those things where people want to input their advice and input to a pregnant lady (I've gotten that alot LOL).
sahm1225 01:14 PM 11-03-2011
I wasn't doing daycare with my 1st and I took off 13 weeks. With my 2nd I had the daycare and ended up with no time off (was very blessed and felt great, but I regret not having the time off)
This is my 3rd and I am taking 2 weeks off - but they dacyare will remain open by my assistannt.

4 weeks is reasonable and if your parents dont mind - then go for it! It's your first and it might take you longer to recover, and even if it doesn't why not enjoy that time with your little one?
cheerfuldom 01:42 PM 11-03-2011
with my first I was so swollen with water and then had a huge tear on top of that and could barely walk after one week. no way I could have taken care of kids. I had no swelling, no tearing with my third and it was a whole different recovery. My second was a good recovery but my most demanding baby. She had severe reflux and colic and cried every day for hours till she was about 8 months old. One time we timed her and she cried 6 hours straight! Give yourself as much wiggle room as possible!
tweedledeedum 02:01 PM 11-03-2011
Yes, I would take off as long as you can possibly afford. You won't regret it and you will look back on it fondly. You need that time to recover, bond with baby and adapt to all of the changes that come with having a new little one.

(I stayed home for 2.5 yrs with my first and started daycare when my second turned 1. I was lucky to have so much time, I can't imagine taking only 2 weeks! But everyone is different.)
jennajury 02:29 PM 11-03-2011
Ok thank you everyone! I think I'm going to tell them between four and six weeks. I don't wanna do six but really depends on my recovery process and all. its no one important that told me that was tOo much just aquintances and people who aren't close to me. Its just when people find out I'm pregnant and also do childcare they act all shocked when I say 4 weeks is what I'm taking off and then proceed to tell me I only need ONE week off and not much more. I think when people hear someone takes care of children for a living they just hear oh they stay home its easy work. But its not !
Crazy8 07:48 PM 11-03-2011
honestly, barring any real issues with your delivery and assuming you are planning a vaginal birth you will probably be feeling fine after a week or two. "recovery" from a vaginal birth does not really take 4-6 weeks - doesn't mean you won't want that time alone with your new baby though. If you are not concerned with losing your daycare families and the money then by all means take a few extra weeks!!

I went back to work (before doing daycare) with my first when she was 7 weeks old - my state only gives 6 weeks paid time off. Was doing daycare by the time I had my 2nd and 3rd and only took 2 weeks off with each of them and was 100% fine by the time the daycare kids came back. I couldn't afford to take more time and even if I could I did not want to lose my families if they had to deal with finding care for that length of time. Most use a combination of vacation time, neighbors and family members when I am out so I try not to take too much time off.
VanessaEO 08:19 PM 11-03-2011
I'm pregnant too - due in a few weeks. I'm unfortunately still somewhat undecided as to how much time I'll be closed for. I have full time help if I choose to open earlier, but timing is funky during Christmas and school being out, etc.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw a couple more thoughts out that might sway you.

First - a huge reason that I'm considering closing for longer is due to illness. This is my third baby, but my first born in the winter and I'm worried about the little guy getting sick when he's really young (a week or two old). Or really for anyone in my family getting sick for that matter. Especially myself or my other kiddos. No one wants to be recovering from birth, establishing breastfeeding, getting into the swing of adding a member of the family --- and struggling with a cold. (or worse)

Another thing to consider, especially if its your first baby is the possibility of you having a c-section. The statistic is staggering - about 32% of all births in the US are via c-section. Its something that you need to consider. Hopefully not plan for, but consider.
Country Kids 09:13 PM 11-03-2011
My first was a c-section and Dr. wouldn't release me till 8 weeks-there were some complications after the birth. Also, I wasn't allowed to go to my place of employment before I returned because they had a ramped flu go through and they were so scared of me bringing germs home to baby. I thought that was very nice of them.

You do not know what germs will be coming in your homes from the dcks and your child will not have a great immune system. We all worry about our income, how will the parents cope, will we lose parents, but no one I've noticed has mentioned one thing about the baby possibly getting sick from the germs the kids bring in. That is one of the biggest gripes of daycare providers-parents bringing sick children, so why would we want our newborns exposed to these kids.

One last thing is you should talk to you Doctor. They do not like to usually release a mom till 4-6 weeks after birth. I can tell you I had three children born after I started childcare and I wish I hadn't been so concerned on money or the parents but my baby. Trying to breastfee and be up several times through the night, up at 5 or 6 to get ready for the day and then be awake all day for the daycare took a toll on me. It was years before I started being able to actually sleep through the night and feel good the next day. Just my personal experience but wanted to share!
jennajury 04:54 AM 11-04-2011
Thank you! I have also put into thought the fact that I may have to have a c-section. I just don't want to rush anything. I feel obligated to these kids however I know my baby is most important and if I was to lose any parents because of taking time off I do not believe I'd have a problem replacing them. I also want to take into account time to adjust to the baby and sleep schedule and everything I'll be getting used to. So I can focus mainly on him. thanks everyone for your input! It has helped alot
Tags:pregnant, time off - pregnant
Reply Up