Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking a 4 Day Weekend
mac60 03:24 AM 06-29-2010
I am handing out info that I will be closed on July 29 and Aug 2, to take a quick trip to the beach, a 12 hour drive. Normally I give out my vacation schedule in April, but knew that this year there wasn't going to be a whole week off anytime since hubby lost his job and I am now supporting this family. I hope I don't piss anyone off, but I need to "get out of Dodge" as they say. It has been a very very rough 10 months. My kids, ages 19 and 21 are going with me, and we are all going to split the hotel cost, and I am buying gas and food. My kids really want to go to the beach as so do I, but none of us can afford it on our own, so this is the best I can do. I don't know why I always worry about "making a parent mad", as I never ever close other than scheduled vacation weeks.
momofboys 04:05 AM 06-29-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I am handing out info that I will be closed on July 29 and Aug 2, to take a quick trip to the beach, a 12 hour drive. Normally I give out my vacation schedule in April, but knew that this year there wasn't going to be a whole week off anytime since hubby lost his job and I am now supporting this family. I hope I don't piss anyone off, but I need to "get out of Dodge" as they say. It has been a very very rough 10 months. My kids, ages 19 and 21 are going with me, and we are all going to split the hotel cost, and I am buying gas and food. My kids really want to go to the beach as so do I, but none of us can afford it on our own, so this is the best I can do. I don't know why I always worry about "making a parent mad", as I never ever close other than scheduled vacation weeks.

I think that sounds like plenty of notice & I personally wouldn't worry about ticking a parent off. It sounds like you have not taken much leave time. Hope you have a great time!
AfterSchoolMom 04:16 AM 06-29-2010
If you can swing it, I'd take off an extra day just to hang around the house after you return from vacation. It'll give you time to get things unpacked and settled, and will do wonders for your peace of mind!
Golden Rule 04:34 AM 06-29-2010
If the parents, typically, have to give a 2 week notice, a 4 week notice should be acceptable for you. Fair is fair.....unless your contract states otherwise.

As a mom whom had a child in care, I liked the Friday-Monday closures as it was easier for Grandparents to step in without too much interference in the work week. We were usually visiting Mom, out of town, on Sundays anyway and a sleep-over was her favorite thing...lol!! (still is)
boysx5 04:54 AM 06-29-2010
I learned the hard but always being there and then getting them kick you in the pants anyway so now I take my two weeks paid vacations and a few unpaid days if needed and they all are fine with it. Everyone needs a day off you deserve it we work hard at what we do and if you don't take the time for yourself nobody else will.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:27 AM 06-29-2010
I'm the same way, always worrying I will make someone mad...this is the first year I am taking a weeks' vacation...all my parents were fine with it. I NEED this time off with my family.
Crystal 06:11 AM 06-29-2010
That is plenty of notice. You totally DESERVE this time off, and I am sure, with your families knowing all you have been through this year, that they will all be very understanding. Have a great vacation and try not to think about all the "stuff" at home while you're gone
originalkat 07:01 AM 06-29-2010
Sounds like a fun and relaxing long weekend Mac! Have a wonderful time. We are also taking a vacation coming up the 1st week in August. I am changing it to that week due to some scheduling issues so my parents will only have 4 weeks notice too!
mac60 09:40 AM 06-29-2010
We are driving over 700 miles to Myrtle Beach. We will leave Thursday night after work. My kids will help with the driving. I wish I could take a whole week off, but I can't afford it this year. This way I will lose 1 days pay each week, and that is doable. It is going to be a quick trip, staying 3 nights at the beach. I wish I could find a hotel under $150, but it is hard.
Tags:long weekend, notice
Reply Up