Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Wonder How Your Parents Keep Their Jobs?
iheartkids 06:32 AM 04-30-2012
This is not an occasional situation, I see this frequently...parents running in almost everyday saying they are late for work and then proceed to hang around either saying goodbye or chatting. And most of the time it is the really good parents with the really good kids. It seems their excuse is always their alarm clock. I often think to myself, "Does their boss/coworkers not care that they are late all the time?" It's something I can't fathom because I have always been a prompt employee where ever I've worked unless something bad happened (car problems and such). I know you all have one like this because I have a parent like this every year!
permanentvacation 06:48 AM 04-30-2012
YES!!! I have OFTEN wondered how they go to work so late and so often without being fired!!! I got so tired of kids arriving at all hours of the day and disrupting whatever activity we were in the middle of. So, I actually put it in my contract this January that all children must arrive by 9:00am or simply not come for the day.
Meyou 06:54 AM 04-30-2012
I always take it as "late to get their coffee and sit and do nothing for 20 minutes before work starts."
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 04-30-2012
Sadly I honestly think it is the norm lately with almost all things.

I have seen customer service go downhill as well as the quality of services as well.

I think now days if a person shows up at "roughly their scheduled time" and isn't wearing pajama bottoms, they are considered a valued employee.

I also have to agree with Meyou too, as a lot of it is "late" to take care of their personal needs as well.
cheerfuldom 07:24 AM 04-30-2012
I think this too! I know for sure that two of my daycare moms are late on a regular basis. One has said her boss has complained about it, yet she does not come at a sooner time.
MyAngels 07:26 AM 04-30-2012
I was that employee for a while when I was still "working outside the home" and my kids were very young . I did make up the 20 or so minutes late every morning on my lunch hour. They must have thought I was somewhat valuable, though, since my boss continued to ask me to come back for over a year after I left.

At the time it felt impossible to get there by 8:00 a.m., but looking back I realize that it certainly was possible .
GrannyJ 07:48 AM 04-30-2012
I only have 4 different families and 3 of them are always running late. One dcm has been fired from two jobs that I know of and now she has all her schooling and her dream job of a school psychiatrist and is still late. I can't believe she would risk her job because she can't get up 30 minutes early to be on time!!!
Meeko 07:53 AM 04-30-2012
It's everywhere. We recently went to the post office to get passports for our daughters. The post office was open, but the passport office was not. The sign said 9AM.

Someone rolled up at 9:20 AM to open the door...no so much as a sorry.

I'm afraid I made no-so-quiet comments about running behind schedule now as I had to pull the girls out of school to get to the passport office.

In the 27 years I have been doing child care, I have never, ever failed to open on time. When I worked outside the home I was only ever late a couple times due to things beyond my control...traffic accident etc.

I don
t understand people being late almost daily. I simply could not live my that un-organized. It would depress me.
godiva83 08:03 AM 04-30-2012
My sister and brother in law are constantly late for work! I really don't know how they haven't been fired!! To me it is inconsiderate to your coworkers ecspecially as my sister is an ECE and her co worker depends on her, and laziness!

I also don't get how people can take so many days off!!
I have DCP's who are always taking afternoons, days off to do personal things while their kids are here.

When I was a supervisor at a centre my staff knew I was a bit of a stickler about being punctual - if they were going to be late there had to be a valid reason with a phone call and if it happened often as in 2x with out a valid reason they were written up! If a staff was late it thru of my whole Schdule and ratios and even the chance for an employee to miss a break!! That is a big deal to me.
Jenniferdawn 08:39 AM 04-30-2012
Haha! Oh this thread makes me laugh! I was just saying to myself how I don't know how my dcp keeps her job for this very reason.
WImom 08:41 AM 04-30-2012
So funny you say this. I was just thinking that this morning when two families called to say they are running late and both came about 45 minutes late.
renodeb 09:51 AM 04-30-2012
One of my very first families I ever enrolled was late all the time. She was a drug rep and was always blazing in at the last second. Luckily the baby was easy.
Debbie
Crazy8 09:58 AM 04-30-2012
just last night my DH was complaining about people who work for his company always being late, leaving early and calling out. I told him NO ONE has the work ethic he does anymore. His company did just let someone go - this person was new and was training with my DH for 2 weeks and I swear he was out/late more often than he was there. Had an excuse constantly - car problems, relative in hospital - you name it. Guy made it to his regular position and lasted 3 weeks before they ended up terminating him!! Can't believe people could risk a new job that way in this economy!
iheartkids 10:08 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
In the 27 years I have been doing child care, I have never, ever failed to open on time. When I worked outside the home I was only ever late a couple times due to things beyond my control...traffic accident etc.
My thoughts exactly! My door has to open and I have to be ready by 6:15 in the morning and by golly those early kids come ON TIME! BUT the ones that roll in around 8:00 or 9:00 are the late ones and the moms act like it's so hard to get everyone going in the morning and out the door. By that time my whole family has been up, showered, fed and off to work/school long before they fly in. And these parents hold very good jobs so it's not like we are dealing with irresponsible adults who have no concept of time. I had a job out of the house AND I had to be there by 6 am AND I had to drag my kids with me. If I was ever late I had some pissy parents waiting outside the daycare doors. (Well, I should stop complaining because often times I don't even have makeup on before they come so I should take into consideration that beauty takes time )
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:10 AM 04-30-2012
Strangely I have the OPPOSITE issue. I usually get the parents that will drop off WELL before their work start time. You know, so they can have their coffee and chat time in peace
Ariana 10:11 AM 04-30-2012
My DH has a pretty lax job and he pretty well can go and come as he pleases, within reason of course!! I know a ton of jobs that don't start at a particular time like shift work. When I worked at a centre I had to be there exactly when my shift started or someone else had to cover for me....very stressful when there is a lot of traffic!!
Oneluckymom 10:36 AM 04-30-2012
I wondered the same, but have good parents who are only occasionally in a rush. I am also a VERY punctual person and never open late and am early and waiting for parents to arrive. I am very particular about being on time and I know how long it will take me to go anywhere. Punctuality is a very good indicator of how passive aggressive people are, as they often feel people SHOULD just sit around and wait for them.
Country Kids 10:41 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:
My sister and brother in law are constantly late for work! I really don't know how they haven't been fired!! To me it is inconsiderate to your coworkers ecspecially as my sister is an ECE and her co worker depends on her, and laziness!

I also don't get how people can take so many days off!!
I have DCP's who are always taking afternoons, days off to do personal things while their kids are here.

When I was a supervisor at a centre my staff knew I was a bit of a stickler about being punctual - if they were going to be late there had to be a valid reason with a phone call and if it happened often as in 2x with out a valid reason they were written up! If a staff was late it thru of my whole Schdule and ratios and even the chance for an employee to miss a break!! That is a big deal to me.
What makes me mad is when I need an afternoon off its like hte end of the world. Most of them have used their time off and then scrambling to figure out what to do.
littlemissmuffet 11:12 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by iheartkids:
This is not an occasional situation, I see this frequently...parents running in almost everyday saying they are late for work and then proceed to hang around either saying goodbye or chatting. And most of the time it is the really good parents with the really good kids. It seems their excuse is always their alarm clock. I often think to myself, "Does their boss/coworkers not care that they are late all the time?" It's something I can't fathom because I have always been a prompt employee where ever I've worked unless something bad happened (car problems and such). I know you all have one like this because I have a parent like this every year!
I have one parent who is ALWAYS running late... but her boss is her dad

I have another parent who calls in sick at least once every 3 weeks. She calls in when she has the sniffles . I am more than certain this particular parent has an issue with compulsive lying so I don't EVER believe she is sick when she says she is... which is funny because her son is who I refer to as "the boy who cried wolf", he cries and whines about everything so I never know if there is a REAL problem.
This is the same mom who once said "I hate working so much I am thinking about getting pregnant again (DCB was was not even 1 year old at the time) just so I can have more time off. I have no idea how she keeps her job.
cheerfuldom 11:46 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko:
It's everywhere. We recently went to the post office to get passports for our daughters. The post office was open, but the passport office was not. The sign said 9AM.

Someone rolled up at 9:20 AM to open the door...no so much as a sorry.

I'm afraid I made no-so-quiet comments about running behind schedule now as I had to pull the girls out of school to get to the passport office.

I don
t understand people being late almost daily. I simply could not live my that un-organized. It would depress me.
I agree! I have been doing daycare for five years and never opened late.
cheerfuldom 11:47 AM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
Strangely I have the OPPOSITE issue. I usually get the parents that will drop off WELL before their work start time. You know, so they can have their coffee and chat time in peace
that doesnt mean that they are on time for work.....
Ariana 12:01 PM 04-30-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This is the same mom who once said "I hate working so much I am thinking about getting pregnant again (DCB was was not even 1 year old at the time) just so I can have more time off. I have no idea how she keeps her job.
Great reason to bring another child into the world
DCMom 12:48 PM 04-30-2012
Oh yes! I have two moms like this. I honestly don't get it; I feel guilty if I am running 5 minutes behind and there isn't even any kids here!

The rest of my parents are pretty punctual and always let me know if their schedule changes. Thank goodness, because lateness is one of my biggest pet peeves
Reply Up