Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Kid With a Doctor’s Note
Southern Mama 07:12 AM 01-18-2013
2 year DCG gets here at 5am and goes back to sleep. She arrived Monday morning and mom says she had a bit of a runny nose on Sunday, but was acting fine. By the time she woke up at 7:30 she had crusty green boogs smeared all over her face. Had a 101.8 temp and a bit of a cough. I called DCM and she immediately picked her up. She stayed home on Tuesday and Tuesday night DCM calls and says they just got home from the doctor(36 hours later) and doc cleared her to come back. Doctor said it was just the weather changing and it was all nasal and she's not contagious. He gave her a note to resume care. Wednesday she arrived and her mom said she was doing great, no coughing, appetite back, no green boogies. Well, she still had green boogies and a tiny cough but no fever so I just went with the doctors note. Today she's got a mild temp (99.9) a nasty phlegmy cough and still with the green boogers. I have my own 2 year old and another healthy 2 year old here.

I can't keep them separated and properly (confidently) supervise them. I currently have her plopped on the couch in front of the tv, which I hate to do, with the other two girls trying to resume their normal activities, but I can't be in two rooms at once. DCM is a single mom that is already complaining about having to miss work this week and I have a feeling, I'll get a lot of lip about it and that the "doctor said it was ok" if I call her to pick up. What would you guys do in this situation? Would you call for a pick-up or am I overreacting? Thanks in advance!
mbullette 07:32 AM 01-18-2013
I would just leave her be if she doesn't have a fever. This winter has been bad for nasty colds. Personally I wouldn't call her mom unless the fever gets high but that is just me.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 01-18-2013
I decide when a child is well enough to return to care. I do NOT accept the doctors note for anything other than diagnosis.

Unless the doctor is going to come help me care for the children in care, he has no RIGHT or authority to tell me when a child can or cannot return to care.

My illness policy reads as follows:

In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
• the diagnosis
• the treatment
• length of recommended exclusion

Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.

There are times when a child may be excluded due to the required amount of care he/she needs when experiencing a common cold or illness. For example, a cough that is disruptive to normal daily activities, when a child is unable to cover his/her mouth while coughing or when the amount of nasal discharge or fluid becomes unmanageable for the provider to continue maintaining a sanitary environment. This will occur at my discretion and will be handled on an individual basis.
Southern Mama 07:40 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I decide when a child is well enough to return to care. I do NOT accept the doctors note for anything other than diagnosis.

Unless the doctor is going to come help me care for the children in care, he has no RIGHT or authority to tell me when a child can or cannot return to care.

My illness policy reads as follows:

In certain situations, a medical form must be obtained before your child can be re-admitted into care. These forms require a written diagnosis from the child's physician and must state the following information:
• the diagnosis
• the treatment
• length of recommended exclusion

Re-admission to child care will be at MY discretion. Please do not assume the doctor can give permission for re-admittance.

There are times when a child may be excluded due to the required amount of care he/she needs when experiencing a common cold or illness. For example, a cough that is disruptive to normal daily activities, when a child is unable to cover his/her mouth while coughing or when the amount of nasal discharge or fluid becomes unmanageable for the provider to continue maintaining a sanitary environment. This will occur at my discretion and will be handled on an individual basis.
That last paragraph is exactly my issue. She is literally coughing every minute or so. And coughing up gunk. She WILL NOT cover her mouth and I'm wiping her nose every 5 minutes and having to go wash my hands. It's just exhausting. Thank goodness I only have the other two today!
Meeko 08:46 AM 01-18-2013
My contract states that only I decide if a child returns to daycare. Not the parent or the doctor.
MarinaVanessa 10:30 AM 01-18-2013
My policies also say that it's up to me to decide whether a child is healthy or not to return to daycare, not a note from the DR.
Willow 07:35 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
I would just leave her be if she doesn't have a fever. This winter has been bad for nasty colds. Personally I wouldn't call her mom unless the fever gets high but that is just me.
I would do the same.

As long as there is no fever I wouldn't think anything of it. I've had stuffy green snotty nose for the better part of a month now and I know I'm not ill lol. I believe bitty illnesses like that (if it even is an illness) can benefit the immunity of my entire group.

I wouldn't keep her segregated and allow her to keep coming as long as she can participate regularly.
Reply Up