Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Doctors Note
Little Star75 08:31 PM 03-22-2013
So I have a question for you all. I currently have a dcb who is always sick from coughing to runny nose. I asked parent to bring me a doctors note. She took him in and apparently he has allergies which I suspected. However the note doesn't state he has allergies nor states that he was tested for any allergies. The letter cleary states that its POSSIBLY allergies.
My question is.... is that a valid note to cover my butt with licensing?
Also how do I determine when its a common cold?

butterfly 06:28 AM 03-23-2013
I'm not sure how Cali. regs work, but I'm not required to have a doctor's note and would only exclude based off of symptoms. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Although extremely annoying, if they only have a cough/runny nose, I'd keep them in care.

I love it when I get the excuse "it's allergies" or "they are teething". Parents try to use that excuse for everything!! Drives me crazy!! But until they have major symptoms, I keep putting up with it.
CedarCreek 07:50 AM 03-23-2013
I get "it's allergies" constantly from one dcm. Oh really? Allergies don't causes fever,lady.
jenn 08:12 AM 03-23-2013
Gotta love the "It's allergies" "Just teething" excuses. Some of mine must have 100 teeth by now! I don't care what the dr note says. If your child can not participate due to symptoms or is requiring more nose wiping/handwashing than reasonable, they need to be home, even if it is just "allergies or teething". I had one this week that had been out with croup. (Of course the coughing/runny nose prior to diagnosis was "allergies" ) He was OK according to the dr to return. However, he was still miserable and needed mommy/home. To me, the dr note just means no longer contagious, not they are really ready to return.
Little Star75 08:13 AM 03-23-2013
Thanks for the responses but how can I tell its a common cold n his allergies? Use my best judgment? Should I request for him to actually get tested for allergies?
Sometimes I feel hes really sick yesterday he kept coughing too much. Idk what to do
Little Star75 08:20 AM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
Gotta love the "It's allergies" "Just teething" excuses. Some of mine must have 100 teeth by now! I don't care what the dr note says. If your child can not participate due to symptoms or is requiring more nose wiping/handwashing than reasonable, they need to be home, even if it is just "allergies or teething". I had one this week that had been out with croup. (Of course the coughing/runny nose prior to diagnosis was "allergies" ) He was OK according to the dr to return. However, he was still miserable and needed mommy/home. To me, the dr note just means no longer contagious, not they are really ready to return.
That's exactly what I think. So true though I have a parent who keeps telling me "oh hes cranky this morning because hes teething" are u serious? ??
I dont know what to do any more
MyAngels 12:01 PM 03-23-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
Thanks for the responses but how can I tell its a common cold n his allergies? Use my best judgment? Should I request for him to actually get tested for allergies?
Sometimes I feel hes really sick yesterday he kept coughing too much. Idk what to do
It can be difficult to tell whether it is a cold or allergies, but in the end it's up to you whether to exclude or not. If a child is not able to participate due to excessive coughing, sneezing, etc. then you should consider excluding them until they are better.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/co...lergy-symptoms
Tags:doctor's note
Reply Up