Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Color Printing
midaycare 07:38 PM 08-06-2014
Do you print out color printing items on your own printer? Color ink is so expensive, I was wondering if any of you found a cheaper way to do it...
daycare 07:41 PM 08-06-2014
I print them black and white line format only and let the kids color it in
AmyKidsCo 08:00 PM 08-06-2014
What color printing items? I sometimes do things with my logo on "fast draft" that saves ink, or in greyscale. I don't have anything with color larger than 2"x2" except photos that I print at Walmart.
midaycare 08:20 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
What color printing items? I sometimes do things with my logo on "fast draft" that saves ink, or in greyscale. I don't have anything with color larger than 2"x2" except photos that I print at Walmart.
I like to print things in color and then laminate them for future use. I print out games, sign language cards, paper dolls, all kinds of stuff! I love to print things. And laminate. I've becoming the laminating queen since I bought one.
daycarediva 03:50 AM 08-07-2014
No, but I did buy the printer that had the cheapest ink to replace. I also align my prices to reflect the cost. I LOVE to print and laminate my own curriculum and items. EVERYTHING is laminated. Thanks to the advice of someone on here, I got laminating sheets AND ink from Amazon/off brand. Saves me a TON of money.
midaycare 04:06 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
No, but I did buy the printer that had the cheapest ink to replace. I also align my prices to reflect the cost. I LOVE to print and laminate my own curriculum and items. EVERYTHING is laminated. Thanks to the advice of someone on here, I got laminating sheets AND ink from Amazon/off brand. Saves me a TON of money.
I will have to look into amazon! Thanks for the tip!
Leigh 06:25 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I use Amazon, too, for ink. I spend 10% of what I used to on ink, and it works just as well.
Angelsj 09:03 AM 08-07-2014
We bought a laser printer. The toner is expensive but it does a really good job of lasting a long time, as long as you aren't trying to print photos.

I have had mine for three years, do a LOT of my own printing and have only replaced the toner one time. I would say between my own schooling, home schooling and day care, I print 25-40 pages per week, most in color.
midaycare 10:07 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
We bought a laser printer. The toner is expensive but it does a really good job of lasting a long time, as long as you aren't trying to print photos.

I have had mine for three years, do a LOT of my own printing and have only replaced the toner one time. I would say between my own schooling, home schooling and day care, I print 25-40 pages per week, most in color.
What was the cost on yours? Did you buy it used?
Angelsj 12:04 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
What was the cost on yours? Did you buy it used?
This is the newer version of what we bought. We have the 351 and paid about $249 for it three years ago...I believe at Costco or Sam's Club. You can probably find it for less than this amazon price.

The toner does cost about $85-$100 to replace, but like I said, I have only replaced it once in three years. We run three businesses, home school and the preschool curriculum, plus with three in college, the fax/scanning capability was a must. You might be able to get just a printer, if that meets your needs, for a quite a bit less.
midaycare 12:51 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
This is the newer version of what we bought. We have the 351 and paid about $249 for it three years ago...I believe at Costco or Sam's Club. You can probably find it for less than this amazon price.

The toner does cost about $85-$100 to replace, but like I said, I have only replaced it once in three years. We run three businesses, home school and the preschool curriculum, plus with three in college, the fax/scanning capability was a must. You might be able to get just a printer, if that meets your needs, for a quite a bit less.
Great! Thank you so much!
Rachel 04:29 AM 08-08-2014
I print everything on draft, even color. It looks fine just more "pastel" than it might otherwise. I mix it up and sometimes color my own stuff in also. And the laminator is your best friend
midaycare 04:33 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I print everything on draft, even color. It looks fine just more "pastel" than it might otherwise. I mix it up and sometimes color my own stuff in also. And the laminator is your best friend
I love my laminator! Just not the price of laminating paper...
Reply Up