Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Since When Did Money Become More Important?
DanceMom 11:27 AM 10-22-2010
Than spending time with your children ? I have heard from all of my parents once or twice when they have days off that they are sending so and so because they are paying for it anyways.

I get that you need a break once and awhile, but almost all send their kids here everytime they have days off.

I know me, when I worked outside of the home, ANY day off I did not put my kids in daycare...spending time with them was WAY more important than whether or not I was paying for daycare anyways.

I ended up giving them an extra week free this year to keep their kids at home when they had days off to spend with them - Id rather not get paid than have their children here while their parents are at home.
momma2girls 11:55 AM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
Than spending time with your children ? I have heard from all of my parents once or twice when they have days off that they are sending so and so because they are paying for it anyways.

I get that you need a break once and awhile, but almost all send their kids here everytime they have days off.

I know me, when I worked outside of the home, ANY day off I did not put my kids in daycare...spending time with them was WAY more important than whether or not I was paying for daycare anyways.

I ended up giving them an extra week free this year to keep their kids at home when they had days off to spend with them - Id rather not get paid than have their children here while their parents are at home.
I totally agree, I sent out a letter one week ago, to all my teacher's on Spring and xmas breaks, I will only be charging them 1/2 the weekly rate, since I know you have off, and want to spend your precious time with your loved ones, I am offering these 2 weeks at 1/2 off your weekly rate!! I know at least 2 of my families, would have been here every day!!
Unregistered 12:37 PM 10-22-2010
I know what you're saying. Before I started my day care, I worked outside the home and was thrilled to be able to spend every minute of my time off with my kids. Snow days, sick days, dr. appointments, etc -- I looked forward to them all! I didn't care if I was paying for child care and not using it; I was just happy to have that extra time with my kids.

Although I felt that way, I can understand why some parents choose to bring their kids to day care even though they are home. I think some parents choose to bring their kids to day care because they think the kid is happy playing with their friends. I have a couple of kids who ask to come on weekends because they miss it here when they're home. I can also understand the need to get things done that you can't do as easily when the kids are around. I can even understand wanting time to yourself just to relax a little knowing your child is being well cared for. As a provider, I love getting that little break that even one kid's absence gives me but I figure if a parent is paying me for child care, they have a right to bring the kids here even on their days off even if it's not the choice I would have made. There have been times, though, when I wished I could have afforded to offer 1/2 price to anyone who wanted to keep their kids home! lol
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 10-22-2010
I have a dcm and dcd who bring their child (was children, but daughter went to kindergarten this year) at 7:00 a.m. and pick up at 5:30 p.m. every day. Mom works 9-4:30 Monday through Thursday and dad works 9-5 Monday through Friday. Mom is off on Fridays and she still has her kid(s) in child care. When she gets done working at 4:30 she goes home and lets her husband pick up the kids after he gets off. I swear he sits at work and counts down til 5:30 because he NEVER walks in the door until 5:30 on the dot. He works 3 blocks from me. In the mornings, the mom drops off at 7 (actually she is here at 6:45 but waits in car til I open at 7). When I asked her why they come so early she says she likes to get some coffee and read the paper and relax before she starts her day. When I questioned why she leaves kids til dad gets done working she said because she drops off so it is only fair he pick up. In the summer, the dcg who is in kindergarten now told me that her and her mom and dcb drive around the block in morning unit I open!!!!
This family always pays and kids are great but REALLY?!?!?
safechner 01:16 PM 10-22-2010
I am not surprised about this. A long time ago, I don't charge the parents if the child/children are not attended in my daycare but they are STILL bringing them here when they have day off.

Now, I do charge the parents whether they are here or not. They are still bringing the kids here when the parents have day off. I also wrote my policy: If you have the day off, I expect your child to be with you. Children grow so fast, take this opportunity to spend time bonding with your child. Ultimately the care of the child is the parental responsibility. Does it work, nope! That is sad!

When I work outside about 5 years ago when my daughters were little. I gave my old provider in 6 months advance that I will be off to spending time with my kids. I have never bring them to daycare whenever I have a day off.
momma2girls 02:06 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by safechner:
I am not surprised about this. A long time ago, I don't charge the parents if the child/children are not attended in my daycare but they are STILL bringing them here when they have day off.

Now, I do charge the parents whether they are here or not. They are still bringing the kids here when the parents have day off. I also wrote my policy: If you have the day off, I expect your child to be with you. Children grow so fast, take this opportunity to spend time bonding with your child. Ultimately the care of the child is the parental responsibility. Does it work, nope! That is sad!

When I work outside about 5 years ago when my daughters were little. I gave my old provider in 6 months advance that I will be off to spending time with my kids. I have never bring them to daycare whenever I have a day off.
I love your quote, I may steal it from you - LOL!!!
melskids 02:36 PM 10-22-2010
i had one who was here everyday, 7:30 to 5:30, and sometimes mom tried to push for an even later pickup. he never missed a day. never came late in the a.m. never went home early at night. wanna know moms work schedule? mondays and wednesdays from 9 to 1. thats it. i even offered to only charge her for time used. she never took me up on it. he was here 50+ hours a week so she could work 8.
MyAngels 04:13 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a dcm and dcd who bring their child (was children, but daughter went to kindergarten this year) at 7:00 a.m. and pick up at 5:30 p.m. every day. Mom works 9-4:30 Monday through Thursday and dad works 9-5 Monday through Friday. Mom is off on Fridays and she still has her kid(s) in child care. When she gets done working at 4:30 she goes home and lets her husband pick up the kids after he gets off. I swear he sits at work and counts down til 5:30 because he NEVER walks in the door until 5:30 on the dot. He works 3 blocks from me. In the mornings, the mom drops off at 7 (actually she is here at 6:45 but waits in car til I open at 7). When I asked her why they come so early she says she likes to get some coffee and read the paper and relax before she starts her day. When I questioned why she leaves kids til dad gets done working she said because she drops off so it is only fair he pick up. In the summer, the dcg who is in kindergarten now told me that her and her mom and dcb drive around the block in morning unit I open!!!!
I had a family once that came right at 7 a.m., and picked up right at 5 p.m. (my hours exactly). This was at the same time that my oldest turned 16 and started driving. He came home from practice at 4 p.m. every day. One day he saw a car sitting a block away and noticed it was this dcd, just sitting there. After seeing this for a few days he pulled over, tapped on the window, and asked if there was a problem (good kid, he was concerned). Dad said, no, I'm just waiting until your Mom closes, so I can pick up the kids. Needless to say, we had a nice talk about this. I made them feel very guilty for leaving their children long past the time when others were picked up. Sometimes I just scratch my head over the thought processes of folks.
momma2girls 04:40 PM 10-22-2010
I once had a Mom that was always off on Fri. but she still brought her 1 yr. baby to me every Fri. I finally started realizing this, when she would come in jeans, or sweatpants. I finally asked her after about 4 weeks of this, are you working on Fri.? She said no, I never work on Fri. but I have a ton of stuff to do every Fri. It was so sad, she woke the baby up at the same time, she always arrived at 7 am and picked up at 5:00- Can you believe this???
DanceMom 05:27 PM 10-22-2010
It is SO sad...I was a nanny in Phx yrs ago..the dad would come home from work in the afternoon and go straight to his room and shut and lock the door..his youngest son would bang on the door bawling to let him in. He never did.

This is the hardest part of doing daycare for me..I really wish these people that spend an hour a day with their kids..never had them to begin with..I dont know why they did...

They even tell me to give shorter naps so they can be in bed after dinner..so they can spend what 5 hours a week with their kids?

Makes me sick.
SilverSabre25 05:57 PM 10-22-2010
I can understand an occasional day here or there where you need to get things done, clean the house, relax, recover from being sick, whatever, so you would take your child to daycare anyway...but I really can't understand why parents would do it every single week! Or even worse, every day! That's just crazy!

Some people shouldn't have kids...

at least in those cases you have to figure that at least the child/children are probably getting more love, attention, and stimulation in your care than they would at home, and with that thought console yourself. A little. Maybe.
mrs.meg 06:01 PM 10-22-2010
I used to be a single mom. I only worked 4 days/week and every other Sat. I paid full time rate and did not ever take my daughter to daycare on my day off. It never crossed my mind and I did not think twice about paying my DCP for that day. It is worth my time off to be with my child. I felt that the child care providers work harder than I could imagine and I had no idea that other parents were not this way!!!! Then when I started doing home DC, I could not believe the mentality of MOST of the parents I have cared for! It is like they are so afraid they might give you something that you didn't earn!! We earn every penny and no amount of money will make up for what they are losing with their kids!
momma2girls 06:41 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by mrs.meg:
I used to be a single mom. I only worked 4 days/week and every other Sat. I paid full time rate and did not ever take my daughter to daycare on my day off. It never crossed my mind and I did not think twice about paying my DCP for that day. It is worth my time off to be with my child. I felt that the child care providers work harder than I could imagine and I had no idea that other parents were not this way!!!! Then when I started doing home DC, I could not believe the mentality of MOST of the parents I have cared for! It is like they are so afraid they might give you something that you didn't earn!! We earn every penny and no amount of money will make up for what they are losing with their kids!
This is so well said!!
marniewon 07:44 PM 10-22-2010
I had one family where the mom went to school (online) and dad didn't work at all. They brought their 18mo boy to me 3-4 days a week. Even though he was sick (no fever, but had ear infections constantly!), even though he was having a really hard time adjusting to dc (never been to dc before), mom would still wake him up uber early and bring him to me - right from day one. I really thought that she could have eased into it. She was getting him up way before he was used to getting up and bringing him to me. She told me that her husband would eventually go back to work, and she would eventually finish school and she wanted him to get used to dc, and to a degree I understand that.....but really, why make it harder on him by bringing him so often and so early, from the very first day, when it wasn't necessary? I eventually termed him, for many many reasons, but I really felt bad for the little guy. I mean, dad is sitting home all day long, why couldn't he be home with him??

Editing to add: for most of my children's young lives, I was a single parent. For anyone who is a single parent, you know how hard it is to work, spend time with the kids, clean, laundry, etc, all by yourself. For some reason I was always blessed with dcp's who never charged me any more than what the state would pay. I never took my kids to dc when I wasn't working (unless I had a dr. appt or something like that where I couldn't take the kids with me - and even then, it would be during a work day, not a day off with my kids!). In fact, the one and only time I was off early (court date for my divorce) I had planned to leave the kids at daycare for the rest of the afternoon, to sort of "celebrate" the divorce, and I can't remember what happened, but I ended up getting the kids early anyway!
QualiTcare 11:01 PM 10-22-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I know what you're saying. Before I started my day care, I worked outside the home and was thrilled to be able to spend every minute of my time off with my kids. Snow days, sick days, dr. appointments, etc -- I looked forward to them all! I didn't care if I was paying for child care and not using it; I was just happy to have that extra time with my kids.

Although I felt that way, I can understand why some parents choose to bring their kids to day care even though they are home. I think some parents choose to bring their kids to day care because they think the kid is happy playing with their friends. I have a couple of kids who ask to come on weekends because they miss it here when they're home. I can also understand the need to get things done that you can't do as easily when the kids are around. I can even understand wanting time to yourself just to relax a little knowing your child is being well cared for. As a provider, I love getting that little break that even one kid's absence gives me but I figure if a parent is paying me for child care, they have a right to bring the kids here even on their days off even if it's not the choice I would have made. There have been times, though, when I wished I could have afforded to offer 1/2 price to anyone who wanted to keep their kids home! lol
i agree. there were plenty of days i didn't take my daughter to daycare when i was off, but there were plenty of days when i didn't plan on taking her and she ASKED to go so i'd take her. she might go a little late and be picked up early, but if she wanted to go and i paid for her to go - why wouldn't i let her? any provider should take that as a compliment that A) a child wants to go to daycare and B) the parent trusts you that they're letting you keep their child not just because they HAVE to.

i know there are parents who just don't care and don't want to deal with their kids, but that's not always the case. it's absurd to think that working parents don't spend enough time with their kids. that's like saying if your child goes to school then you don't spend enough time with them. they (and you) are still with their children every weekend/every morning/every evening. you don't have to be a stay at home mom to be a good mom. god forbid someone let their child go to daycare (with a supposedly wonderful provider which they pay for) and let them play with their friends whom they love while they go pay bills - or (GASP) have lunch with a friend they haven't seen in a year.

unbelievable.
beach_grl 04:11 AM 10-23-2010
I have to agree with the OP. It is sad that parents don't want to spend more time with their children. One of my former parents was a teacher. She sent her child to me on her days off-all the time. She was off for Spring Break-the child came to me anyway. Her excuse? She needed to CLEAN her house. Really? You can't clean your house with your child there? If I couldn't get things done with kids around, I'd be in real trouble. SHe was off at the gym and cleaning her house, and her poor child (who I am sure would have loved some extra mom-time) was at my house. I am a daycare provider. I take care of children so their parents can work. I am not a BABYSITTER-if you want to have lunch with a friend, hire one. Or-here's a thought-TAKE your child to lunch with you! That's the trouble with a lot of parents today-the thought to actually spend time with their kids never crosses their mind!
MommyMuffin 04:31 AM 10-23-2010
I have been thinking a lot about what...I think it was laundrydychess said in a post once..she said something along the lines of..you can tell when the parents really wanted to have kids compared to the ones that just happened too.
This is so true and I was thinking about it, it is sad and I think some people just like the "idea" of having children and being a mom. Nobody would dare stand up and tell them how to raise their children even if they are clearly not showing near enough love, attention and affection. So they go on doing what they do...perhaps they think they deserve all this alone time without children and dont realize how wonderful their children are, I just dont know. But some people are naturally just not good parents... and I dont think it takes any type of education to be a good parent..just a lot of love.
MarinaVanessa 06:43 AM 10-23-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
...I think it was laundrydychess said in a post once..she said something along the lines of..you can tell when the parents really wanted to have kids compared to the ones that just happened too.
Yes it was Laundry and it was in response to something that I posted about how parent's just sometimes don't have a clue. This saying can be applied to some parent's on so many levels that it's dissapointing. I think that I'll remember this quote for a long time because I know so many people that it applies to and I'm not just talking about DCP's.

My SIL that got pregnant at a young age, now has 2 kids and isn't with their dad and now wants to go out and live the life that she missed out on and so will regularly (about 3 times a week) leave her kids with me, their grandma's, or their dads house. A friend of mine that wanted the dream husband, dream wedding, dream house, dream family and dream life and has two kids that run around and keep themselves entertained all day because mom (SAHM) is on the computer all day long or napping. She doesn't even know what her kids' favorite colors are, or what their favorite's are etc. And the oldest is 5 and will pull out the chicken nuggets from the freezer and pop them in the microwave to serve himself and his 2yo brother. .

I guess I was just never one of those kinds of mom. I had it "happen to me", my 1st pregnancy was unplanned but I made my bed and I laid in it. My mom and my sister have sat me down this 2nd pregnancy (which was planned BTW ) and have seriously and literaly told me that this baby better be allowed to go to their house and stay the night without me, even as a baby, because I was "stingy" with my daughter. They complained that I never let her out of my sight, that I never let her stay the night at grandma's house or even just for the day and that when they did see her I was always there and taking over. I guess I never really thought about it but I always thought that she was my daughter, my my responsibility and I enjoyed it. I never gave it a second thought. Sadly, not everyone is built like this.
DanceMom 07:13 AM 10-23-2010
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:

i know there are parents who just don't care and don't want to deal with their kids, but that's not always the case. it's absurd to think that working parents don't spend enough time with their kids. that's like saying if your child goes to school then you don't spend enough time with them. they (and you) are still with their children every weekend/every morning/every evening. you don't have to be a stay at home mom to be a good mom. god forbid someone let their child go to daycare (with a supposedly wonderful provider which they pay for) and let them play with their friends whom they love while they go pay bills - or (GASP) have lunch with a friend they haven't seen in a year.

unbelievable.
Qaulitcare - did you read any of the posts ? No one is complaining about the occassional day off to go to lunch or pay bills...my complaint is the parent that drops off for the FULL day for EVERY SINGLE one of their days off. These kids are in daycare for almost 12 hours a DAY FIVE days a week..I was that working parent that worked 10+ hours out of the home but when I ahd that day off, or got off early I RUSHED to get my daughter. If I went to lunch with a friend - SHE WENT WITH. If Had errands to run SHE WENT WITH. If I stayed home to clean the house SHE WAS THERE WITH ME. I didnt get to spend enough time with her the way it was and I wasnt about to send her to daycare on the days that I had an option to spend the day with her or clean my house. I dont care if I Paid for it. She is more imporant to me than ALL the money in the world. And yeah, she loved her daycare and her friends...but I guarantee you she loved spending those days with ME more since she rarely got to spend time with me.

Your child going to school vs being sent to daycare is NOT the same. Your child goes to school for 6 maybe 7 hours tops. These kids are in daycare for TWELVE hours a day...go home and eat dinner and are put to bed. Some of my parents want their kids to nap ONE hour at the age of 1 because they want them in BED right after dinner. Its sickening.. Oh and then they want to complain to me that their kids love me more...spend so much time with me more than them, blah blah but they are so quick to send them here on their days off.

It is disgusting ! Do I think your a bad mom to send your kids to daycare and work outside the home, absolutely NOT. Do I think your a bad mom to send your kids to daycare on every single one of your days off and not cherish in that time to spend with your kids - NO , but I do think your priorities are a little screwed up!
Unregistered 09:32 AM 10-23-2010
I do have to agree it did drive me nuts when I had a parent like that who use to be home from work everyday at 4pm and wait till I closed right at 5:30pm it was a pain because everyone else was gone between 5 and 5:15 everyday. If I worked 8 to 5 outside of the home I would drop off 30 minutes before and pick up 30 minutes after within my work time so I could travel and if I was off on Fridays I would still take my kids to daycare too for HALF a day thou so I could clean, pay bills, do laundry, do errands etc, so I could just focus on them on the weekends but I wouldnt leave them the whole day so I can not blame some parents for doing this.
MyAngels 11:40 AM 10-23-2010
The more I think about this, the more I wonder what makes some parents feel one way, and some feel the other?

I'm in my mid forties, with three grown kids. Before I started my home daycare all three of mine were in daycare when I worked. I never sent them unless I was working. If I was off they stayed home. That just seemed natural to me, and I never gave it another thought. My husband and children were my life, and they were who I chose to spend my "spare" time with (still are, actually). On my days off I often cleaned the house, ran errands and shopped and the kids went along for all of it. That's how they learn the things they will need when they grow up, right?

Some would probably say it's the younger parents who are more likely to leave their kids in daycare when they have time off, but I have had many younger parents over the years who felt the way I did and kept their kids at home with them when they were off.

So I wonder what the difference is? Maybe how you were raised by your own parents? Is it something that's innate? Whatever the answer is, I think it would make for an interesting discussion at a roundtable somewhere...
QualiTcare 11:52 AM 10-23-2010
everyone wants to get paid the maximum for the least amount of work - that's the way it is, and daycare is no different.

if you want to be real about it, it has less to do with anyone being concerned about a child spending quality time with their parents and more to do with not wanting to work if you feel like you "shouldn't have to."

i know several ladies at a daycare i worked for in the past who couldn't stand it if a child came when the parent was off - and that included the "good parents" who normally picked up early, paid on time, etc. it didn't matter. if they weren't working, their kids shouldn't be there! of course, most daycare provider's work during all business hours M-F so they don't have the opportunity to go to the bank or the post office, etc. how annoying - someone else gets the day off to do those things and they bring their child to you AND pay you to keep them! the audacity!

this has been debated a million times and it's really pointless. provider's get paid to keep children. they get paid whether or not the parents are working, shopping, or having a freak session in their basement. it doesn't really matter and it's nobody's business.
momofboys 12:37 PM 10-23-2010
everyone wants to get paid the maximum for the least amount of work - that's the way it is, and daycare is no different.

if you want to be real about it, it has less to do with anyone being concerned about a child spending quality time with their parents and more to do with not wanting to work if you feel like you "shouldn't have to."

i know several ladies at a daycare i worked for in the past who couldn't stand it if a child came when the parent was off - and that included the "good parents" who normally picked up early, paid on time, etc. it didn't matter. if they weren't working, their kids shouldn't be there! of course, most daycare provider's work during all business hours M-F so they don't have the opportunity to go to the bank or the post office, etc. how annoying - someone else gets the day off to do those things and they bring their child to you AND pay you to keep them! the audacity!

this has been debated a million times and it's really pointless. provider's get paid to keep children. they get paid whether or not the parents are working, shopping, or having a freak session in their basement. it doesn't really matter and it's nobody's business.
This is why I do not have a policy where the parents have to pay whether they come or not. I must have advance notice but if a parent has the day off I find it encouraging that they won't use $$$ as a reason to have their child in my home because they don't have to pay if they don't come (unless they call off sick!).
QualiTcare 01:16 PM 10-23-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
This is why I do not have a policy where the parents have to pay whether they come or not. I must have advance notice but if a parent has the day off I find it encouraging that they won't use $$$ as a reason to have their child in my home because they don't have to pay if they don't come (unless they call off sick!).
that's great - especially if you feel so strongly about people not sending their kids to daycare if they aren't working. i said this in another thread - if you feel that strongly about it, then don't charge them. it works both ways. providers don't think kids should come if their parents aren't working, and parents don't think providers should get paid if they aren't working. so, if the money isn't REALLY that important - don't charge!
Unregistered 01:28 PM 10-23-2010
QualiTcare - I love your way of thinking. Sure, there might be the occasional parent who'd rather do anything else BUT care for their child, but I believe that number is extremely small.

I've been a dcp for many years, & it has been very rare that I have run into a parent who'd rather work than be with their own child. And how could I positively KNOW this anyway? Do I see them 24 hours a day? Do I have special x-ray vision capable of knowing their inner thoughts? Of course not. I only see these parents for minutes of each day - minutes when they are hurrying off to work or tired at the end of the day, and hurrying in to get their child before running home, making dinner, doing laundry, paying bills, etc. Even though I speak to them and some stay longer than others, I have no idea what they are thinking, what they do every weekend, what other responsibilities they have. And that is none of my business. I certainly won't label someone a bad parent because they feel they need complete solitude to clean their house (and I understand that too) or love having every Monday off - 100% kid-free. It's my job to care for their child and that's what they pay me to do. That's it. I have no business judging someone else's parenting skills based on what they do on their off-days or off-hours.
DBug 07:54 AM 10-25-2010
t if the money isn't REALLY that important - don't charge!
I totally agree with this! I really believe that if you don't want parents to bring their kids on their days off, you need to let them have the day off for free. I think it sends a very mixed message if you expect parents to keep their kids for the day while still paying you.
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I had a family once that came right at 7 a.m., and picked up right at 5 p.m. (my hours exactly). This was at the same time that my oldest turned 16 and started driving. He came home from practice at 4 p.m. every day. One day he saw a car sitting a block away and noticed it was this dcd, just sitting there. After seeing this for a few days he pulled over, tapped on the window, and asked if there was a problem (good kid, he was concerned). Dad said, no, I'm just waiting until your Mom closes, so I can pick up the kids. Needless to say, we had a nice talk about this. I made them feel very guilty for leaving their children long past the time when others were picked up. Sometimes I just scratch my head over the thought processes of folks.
OMG!! That is sooo funny! The family I mentioned in my post must be related to your early family because the little girl in my family (she is Kindergarden) told me the other day that her and her mom sometimes drive around the block in the morning waiting until I open. I don't live in my daycare house so they are basically driving around aimlessly waiting until I arrive. I get here at any time after 7 a.m. and don't open until 7:30 but they are always here seconds after I arrive, no matter what time I get here and now I know why...they are just driving around til they see me get here and then come over!! It does make you scratch your head....but it is funny!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:54 AM 10-25-2010
This is why I do time contracts with families not just an open close time. I do however have parents that drop off at 7 and pick up at 530. every day. working or not. I figure that I am being paid, so I dont care,.. they arent hurting me at all. Im a childcare provider,.. not a childcare only while you work provider. They are Only hurting their own kid ~who if this is the way they are,.. are better off here, playing with their friends instead of parked in a carseat or in front of a tv while mom does her "thing".
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:04 AM 10-25-2010
I am living that right now...I do daycare for my sister in law, her son is 2 1/2. She has the whole week off this week and told me since I need the money, she will still bring him at least 1/2 days and some full days this week.

What!!?? She signed a contract just like every other parent in my care that days are paid whether the child is here or not and I only allow 1 non paid day in one week (I give 10 non paid days per year to full time parents), and she very well knows this rule as she has been using my daycare for 2 1/2 years now.

I was telling my husband last night that I must be a different breed because if I were working full time (and I was when my youngest daughter was 3), I would want that week to spend with her...I would rather pay my week and be with my child than send them while I was home. It just isn't right or fair to the child!! I missed my daughter terrible when I was working.

I just don't understand how some of these parents think...it really just upsets me to no end!
Lucy 07:09 PM 10-25-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think I watch the cousins of your kids!! LOL. Dad has off every-other-Friday, but kids have never once stayed with him. Mom gets to take off half or full days whenever she wants (CPA firm, and if she's not busy, she doesn't work), but kids come every day at 7:30. I can tell every time she has gotten home early and taken a nap, because she is in jeans (dresses up for work) and her hair is messed up and/or pillow line on her face. Like you, I swear they have a timer at home set for 5:25, and that's when they leave to come and pick up - because they pull up every single evening at 5:30 sharp. If mom goes in late (she is upfront and tells me!), they will still arrive at 7:30 sharp. Mom will go back home and do whatever. Probably go back to bed! If one of the kids has a 9:30 doctor appointment and she has taken 1/2 day off because of it, she will still bring them at 7:30 sharp and then pick up the one with the appt. at about 9:10, and immediately bring that one back as soon as the appt. is done. Even if it's 10:15 and she doesn't need to be to work till 12:30. The business woman in me realizes she's just getting her money's worth (I charge a monthly fee with no deductions for time off), but the human in me is sad for the kids that their parents would rather dump them off than spend time with them.

Funny thing is, this mom & dad I just talked about have become friends with the mom & dad of another kid in my daycare because the kids are such good friends - and the other mom & dad will pick up their daughter whenEVER they are off work. Whether it's 30 min early, or if they have half a day off, or a vacation day, etc. Their daughter is ONLY here when they are at work. You'd think the first set of parents would see that and catch a clue!! NOT!
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I think I watch the cousins of your kids!! LOL. Dad has off every-other-Friday, but kids have never once stayed with him. Mom gets to take off half or full days whenever she wants (CPA firm, and if she's not busy, she doesn't work), but kids come every day at 7:30. I can tell every time she has gotten home early and taken a nap, because she is in jeans (dresses up for work) and her hair is messed up and/or pillow line on her face. Like you, I swear they have a timer at home set for 5:25, and that's when they leave to come and pick up - because they pull up every single evening at 5:30 sharp. If mom goes in late (she is upfront and tells me!), they will still arrive at 7:30 sharp. Mom will go back home and do whatever. Probably go back to bed! If one of the kids has a 9:30 doctor appointment and she has taken 1/2 day off because of it, she will still bring them at 7:30 sharp and then pick up the one with the appt. at about 9:10, and immediately bring that one back as soon as the appt. is done. Even if it's 10:15 and she doesn't need to be to work till 12:30. The business woman in me realizes she's just getting her money's worth (I charge a monthly fee with no deductions for time off), but the human in me is sad for the kids that their parents would rather dump them off than spend time with them.

Funny thing is, this mom & dad I just talked about have become friends with the mom & dad of another kid in my daycare because the kids are such good friends - and the other mom & dad will pick up their daughter whenEVER they are off work. Whether it's 30 min early, or if they have half a day off, or a vacation day, etc. Their daughter is ONLY here when they are at work. You'd think the first set of parents would see that and catch a clue!! NOT!
Like other previous posters, I don't really care because I am being paid so it is their money and their loss for not getting the time with their child(ren) who are wonderful kids! Here is another example of wierd parenting in regards to this family: I called her at 10:30 this morning because I think her son (age 3) may have impetigo. He has a red blistery bumps that are oozing and I am prety sure it is impetigo which is HIGHLY contagious...so I call mom and tell her my suspicions and she says..."What would you like me to do?" I was like, "Seriously?" I said come get him, bring him to Dr and make sure he is ok and not contagious. She says, "Can it wait til later in the day, I wanted to get to the gym this afternoon" I said "No!" Well needless to say, guess who showed up to get him? Dad!!! He said mom called and said he had to come get dcb and she was unable to work it into her day!!! All I can say is POOR KID!!!
countrymom 09:20 AM 10-27-2010
I've had/have parents like this. I don't understand why they would have more children if they can't stand being around the ones they have. I don't mind the occasional "I have errands to do or dr's appointment to go to" but to clean your house, to buy groceries, to put up a christmas tree, yup I have issues (I have 4 kids of my own and if I can do it with 4 of them anyone can do it with one or two children)
but what makes me so angry is when I need the day off, omfg, the complaining about me taking one day off is so crazy. I didn't take any days off in the summer, nothing in the last 2 months so I decided to take black friday off (yes to shop in the usa) and you couldn't believe how much complaining these parents did. Funny how I never complain to them when they want to put up their christmas tree and send their child to my house.
another scary issue is that, I feel like I'm raising these kids, they are here everyday for 9 hours a day, they go home for 3hours and go to sleep, thats what is so scary, I see all their firsts, I fix their problems, help with homework, wash their stinky blankets and clothes, and everything I think their mothers and fathers should do, I understand they go to work, but when they have days off, why wouldn't they want to spend the quality time with them.
now all 4 of my kids go to school (my youngest is in grade 1 ) so every once in a while, I let one of my own kids stay home and we hang out, one on one (even thou the daycare kids are here) but my kids love it, and they get so excited when its their turn, you can't beat that.
Tags:divorce, priorities, quality, quality time
Reply Up