Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snack Ideas Please Help
tenderhearts 01:23 PM 01-27-2020
I will be reopening next week and i am doing my menu for the next couple of weeks and planning ahead because I have a dairy free kid.
I am having trouble with dairy free options at snack qualifiable on food program. I can only think of hummus, anything else? what else do you use on bagels besides cream cheese? Help!!thanks
Snowmom 02:40 PM 01-27-2020
You just need 2 separate food components for AM or PM snack.

I typically stick to a veggie and grain for two reasons. I know the grain will always be eaten (avoids the "my kid is STARVING every day complaint) and veggies is typically the most lacking food group eaten at home. So, I try to do more veggies at lunch and snack for a good balance overall.

RAW Veggies:
carrot sticks, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet pepper thin slices and thin celery are my go to's.

Grains:
Mini naan, triangle cut pitas, triscuits and wheat crackers are my grains.

I also throw in roasted chickpeas, raisins, Chex cereal from time to time.
Cat Herder 02:45 PM 01-27-2020
Milk is only required to be served with breakfast and lunch so no need to substitute for snacks.

Bagels work well with preserves or apple butter.
tenderhearts 02:57 PM 01-27-2020
Thanks, that's a good idea but in past I have never had much luck with veggies, kids don't seem to like much of a variety except carrots.
Cat Herder 03:19 PM 01-27-2020
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
Thanks, that's a good idea but in past I have never had much luck with veggies, kids don't seem to like much of a variety except carrots.
We are required to serve a minimum of three veggie servings per day.
tenderhearts 08:20 AM 01-28-2020
I am just finding it so hard to find something as in protein. Cheese cubes is a huge thing here so trying to find something for crackers besides cheese or hummus. I feel like this kid is going to eat the same thing if I can't find more options. His mom gave me some but they aren't on the program such as daiya, although I could do that and do 2 other food groups.
Cat Herder 08:22 AM 01-28-2020
I am just finding it so hard to find something as in protein. Cheese cubes is a huge thing here so trying to find something for crackers besides cheese or hummus. I feel like this kid is going to eat the same thing if I can't find more options. His mom gave me some but they aren't on the program such as daiya, although I could do that and do 2 other food groups.
Egg salad
Tuna salad
Sliced meats
https://www.choosemyplate.gov/eathealthy/protein-foods

Spend some time researching here: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/
Baby Beluga 08:43 AM 01-28-2020
Dairy and peanut allergies here. These are a few of my dairy free snacks:

Hard boiled eggs with fruit
Meat roll-ups with garlic triscuits
Black beans with fresh pepper strips
Black beans with tortilla chips
Chicken salad on naan bread
Chicken salad on celery
Chicken salad on club crackers
Ants on a log (celery, sunbutter or almond butter and raisins)
Apple slices and sunbutter or almond butter
Meat roll up, fresh veggies and guacamole
Mini Mexican rice bowls (Mexican rice, black beans, ground turkey) and pepper strips
Fresh veggies (cucumbers, carrots, celery, peppers, raw broccoli, pea pods, whatever fresh veggies I have on hand) with hummus
Protein balls (oats, sunbutter, honey, mini chocolate chips)
Banana oat muffins
Ariana 10:55 AM 01-28-2020
I don’t do dairy here either. All of my protein is meat, fish or bean. There are lots of alternatives for dairy but they do not have much protein so for this kid a protein alternative will have to be used outside of dairy. Peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower butter on cracker.
jenboo 11:02 AM 01-28-2020
I think America focuses way too much on protein.

I only serve whole food plant based meals.

Beans are great. If you get white beans, you can blend them into so many things.

My kids love bean spreads on wasa crackers, toast, e.t.c.

Peas and edamame are big hits too.

Chickpea pastas and fours are pretty versatile.

Nut/seed butters spread on toast or muffins

You can even make a whipped "pudding" out of tofu.
Tags:education vs professional dev, milk - alternatives, myplate, training courses
Reply Up