Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1st day of school in the 70's vs. Today
Lucy 06:05 PM 08-26-2014
This is so accurate. It compares sending your kids off to school in the 70's vs. today. I started Kindergarten in 1968, so this is talking about my childhood! It was amazing to read that portion of it, and have it really take me back to those times. Then you read the part about today, and realize the vast differences.

Read it.... it's a good read! Especially if you're a child of the 70's!

http://widelawns.blogspot.com/2014/0...t-has.html?m=1
Thriftylady 07:11 PM 08-26-2014
Saw it on facebook and loved it! So true.
Hunni Bee 07:18 PM 08-26-2014
Hopefully when mine goes to kindergarten in four years I can still choose the 70s option.

I went to kindergarten in 1992 and it was like the seventies except we always did go back to school the Tuesday after Labor Day. I still remember being awake all night in anticipation, staring at my new outfit laid out and carrying that huge backpack filled with new school supplies. At least as a teacher I get to relive some it...six more days!!!
Blackcat31 07:33 PM 08-26-2014
I am so glad to say I was part of the 70ies (late) versions verses today.

Other than a couple 's and a few 's life was much simpler and calmer.

Quality time was spent enjoying life with others not scheduling, juggling, rearranging, scrambling, and multi tasking a bajillion trivial things.
Rachel 07:40 PM 08-26-2014
We went back the Wednesday after Labor Day. Always! Always went to Great Adventure the Tuesday after Labor Day. It was empty. Until one year it was closed. We had driven 2 hours down there and thought our parents were kidding. Got McDonald's and went back home very disappointed!

I started kindergarten (half day only, with the letter people!) in 1980.
Cat Herder 04:10 AM 08-27-2014
I had the Holly Hobbie lunch box depicting a blonde Holly and the crazy cat lady starter kit

Team bologna and cheese
Attached: holly-hobbie.jpg (31.5 KB) 
nannyde 04:32 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I had the Holly Hobbie lunch box depicting a blonde Holly and the crazy cat lady starter kit

Team bologna and cheese

He he he
LysesKids 06:16 AM 08-27-2014
The only issues my mom had was there was 5 of us to wrangle and all of us played soccer - my sister and I were literally the first girl players allowed in Montgomery county MD (1972-73) and I was only given one year to play because of age... it took mom fighting for a few years to get us our own league and she coached lol, otherwise it was packed lunches made every night, matching clothes for siblings etc.

Heck we road bikes all over, drank out of water hoses and didn't come home until mom ran the cow bell (yes a big brass one) for dinner. Of course Rockville and Gaithersburg weren't built up like they are now... a lot of it was still woods and farmland until I graduated from a school that isn't even around now ( My old neighborhood was called Old Farm)
MyAngels 06:51 AM 08-27-2014
When we were kids we'd each get 5 new outfits - jeans and t-shirts for the boys, skirts and blouses for the girls. We had "school" clothes and "play" clothes. Heaven help you if mom caught you playing in your school clothes
Lynn825 07:32 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
This is so accurate. It compares sending your kids off to school in the 70's vs. today. I started Kindergarten in 1968, so this is talking about my childhood! It was amazing to read that portion of it, and have it really take me back to those times. Then you read the part about today, and realize the vast differences.

Read it.... it's a good read! Especially if you're a child of the 70's!

http://widelawns.blogspot.com/2014/0...t-has.html?m=1

kathiemarie 08:07 AM 08-27-2014
All I can say is Thank Gosh pintrest wasn't around when my kids were younger. I think I would have been committed. I always try to remind my DC parents that the kids are NOT going to remember half the sh*t you do so just stop!
BrooklynM 08:11 AM 08-27-2014
OMG I LOVE this! It brings up so many memories! I totally had the Holly Hobbit lunch box and corduroy pants! I also had a bologna sandwich, and tuna, but we use mayo not Miracle Whip, and no they are not the same, even though my in-laws from the mid-west all say its the same. Miracle Whip is NOT mayo!

I really wish my kids could live in my era for a while. They actually do too!
DaveA 08:19 AM 08-27-2014
Star Wars & PacMan lunch boxes although I don't know why I got them. I had to eat what was served that day at school. My Dad took pity on me and hid snacks in my backpack on horrible days. I don't think Mom ever found out about that- it was our little secret.
AmyKidsCo 09:19 AM 08-27-2014
It's sad how much pressure to be (or appear) perfect parents are under today. No wonder they freak out over the smallest things.
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
It's sad how much pressure to be (or appear) perfect parents are under today. No wonder they freak out over the smallest things.
My mom says this is because parents are overly concerned about what other parents think about them now days.

My mom said she couldn't have cared less what other moms thought and she said that as long as it wasn't your kid being the a$$hat in social settings other mothers NEVER judged.

Stressing over what other people think verses what's just good and right has sadly become the norm for many things now days.
KiddieCahoots 11:07 AM 08-27-2014
Lol! Wow! That does bring back memories.
Don't forget the hand-me-downs we got from siblings, and cousins, that were categorized as "new clothes", because we had never actually worn them ourselves .........
preschoolteacher 11:24 AM 08-27-2014
I TOTALLY emphasize with the mom from today.

I think I am that mom.

I KNOW I would be so, so, so, so, SO much worse if I was not doing daycare.

My little guy would be a complete monster if I had unlimited time to spend on him, cutting his watermelon into the shape of hearts, creating elaborate "invitations to play" by setting up/arranging his toys in appealing scenes to inspire creativity while he's napping, and so on.

I THANK you ladies of daycare.com because this has been the #1 biggest influence that got me to relax, take a deep breath, and let him be.

That and RIE. I do really like the RIE philosophy of childcare.

I want to find a balance of doing really awesome, special stuff with my kids FOR my kids. Not for facebook, pinterest, or my own ego. And then I want to balance that with having a simple, peaceful happy life.

50% 70s mom + 50% today's mom = the mom I want to be.
Rockgirl 11:28 AM 08-27-2014
I love this part:

10. The night before the first day of school prepare the bento boxes. Fill containers with organic, local strawberries intricately cut into the shapes of sea creatures. Include homemade, nut free granola made with certified gluten-free oats. Make a sandwich on vegan hemp bread out of tahini, kale and jicama. Form it into the shape of your child's favorite Disney character. Make flowers out of non-dairy cheese slices, olives and seaweed. Photograph the finished Bento Box and post it to Instagram.
Unregistered 01:32 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My mom says this is because parents are overly concerned about what other parents think about them now days.
Both of the families of my dcks who just started kindergarten said that they have taken a LOT of heat from other parents, for leaving their children in family child care. No "real" preschool, no center = bad bad bad, apparently.

But both did exceptionally well on their pre-K evaluations, to the point where each evaluator asked WHERE they went to preschool.

I think the families feel vindicated now
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 08-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Both of the families of my dcks who just started kindergarten said that they have taken a LOT of heat from other parents, for leaving their children in family child care. No "real" preschool, no center = bad bad bad, apparently.

But both did exceptionally well on their pre-K evaluations, to the point where each evaluator asked WHERE they went to preschool.

I think the families feel vindicated now
That's awesome!!

for family child care providers!!
Josiegirl 03:31 PM 08-27-2014
That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I was more a child of the 60's but so much rang true, right down to having a monkey as a pet. Koolaid, Twinkies, bologna sandwiches with miracle whip, and an apple(which I also never ate).
NightOwl 03:57 PM 08-27-2014
This makes me sad for modern mom! It seems like she's putting forth so much effort into every tiny detail that her child will not notice or give a second thought to.

For parents like modern mom, I believe they do it for themselves and to relieve the pressure of being or appearing to be a perfect parent. Because lord knows their kids could care less about a bento box.

I started kindy in 82, but can completely relate to the 70s, all the way down to the cigarette smoking, the outfits we wore and the awesome long summers.
Reply Up