Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Heads up MD providers
Second Home 10:59 AM 10-24-2014
I just saw the proposed changes to the MD regs , they start on page 3 . Here are a few of the changes .

http://marylandpublicschools.org/MSD...erFall2014.pdf

Rooms Used for Care
– When approved for infants and toddlers, a designated space is provided for mothers to breastfeed or express breast milk that is not located in a bathroom, has access to an electrical outlet, appropriate seating,
access to running water, and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy.

Training Requirements
– Effective January 1, 2016, complete approved training in supporting breastfeeding practices
(if approved for infants and toddler care) and three clock hours of approved training in complying with the Americans
with Disabilities Act.

General Supervision
– Provide supervision that is appropriate to the individual age, needs, capabilities, activities, and
location of the child and may include, but not be limited to making reasonable accommodations for a child with special
needs in accordance with applicable federal and state law, and allowing an adult who provides specialized services to
a child in care having special needs to provide those services at the home in accordance with the child’s individualized
education plan, individualized family services plan, or written behavioral plan.

Activities– Screen Time Activities
The following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
(a) “Passive technology” means non-interactive television, videos, and streaming media.
(b)
“Interactive technology” means educational and age-appropriate technology designed to facilitate active
and creative use and to encourage social engagement with other children and adults, including programs,
applications (apps), non-commercial television programming, videos, streaming media, and e-books.

2.Limited use of appropriate interactive technology may support, but may not replace, creative play, physical
activity, hands-on exploration, outdoor experiences, social interactions and other developmentally appropriate
learning activities for children aged two and older.

3.Children under the age of two may not view any passive technology.

4.Children two years old and older may view no more than thirty minutes of age-appropriate, educational passive
technology per week.

5.Exceptions.
(a)
Occasional exceptions to the weekly passive technology viewing limit may be made for special events or
projects, including holiday or birthday celebrations, or educational content related to curriculum.
(b)
Written records shall be kept on file for exceptions to the weekly passive technology viewing limit, documenting the title and length of the programming viewed and the reason for the exception.

6.No children may view any:
(a)
Passive or active technology during meals or snacks unless such viewing is included in the child’s Individualized Family Service Plan, Individualized Education Plan, or similar document, or
(b) Media with brand placement or advertising for unhealthy or sugary food and beverages.

7.The provider/operator shall give the parent of each enrolled child a written screen time policy addressing the
use of passive and interactive technology.

Second Home 11:01 AM 10-24-2014
Rooms Used for Care
– When approved for infants and toddlers, a designated space is provided for mothers to breastfeed or express breast milk that is not located in a bathroom, has access to an electrical outlet, appropriate seating,

How can this even be possible ? Can't be in a bathroom , must have running water but must be private which means no kitchen , the only other room which would have running water.
Blackcat31 11:29 AM 10-24-2014
If those rules/regulations came my way (to MN) I'd stop taking infants and toddlers in a heart beat.

I have an entire house used for child care and I couldn't reasonably manage the breast feeding rules/regulations.

I DO like the technology rules though.

I've been a long-time advocate of NO screen time in child care.

Even "educational" technology.
Maggie 11:49 AM 10-24-2014
Thank you...I was considering giving up school age but this may change my mind to do only school age. Not too concerned about screen time, although my kids do love an episode of Caillou after lunch.
Second Home 11:53 AM 10-24-2014
If this does pass then I will no longer accept under 2 yrs . And that stinks because I love having the 12-18 month olds .
nannyde 11:56 AM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If those rules/regulations came my way (to MN) I'd stop taking infants and toddlers in a heart beat.

I have an entire house used for child care and I couldn't reasonably manage the breast feeding rules/regulations.

What is their definition of a toddler? With extended breastfeeding a child all the way up to five could be breast feeding.

This is going to lead to many providers only accepting formula fed babies.

If I had this regulation, I wouldn't accept any breast fed babies. I don't want to be forced to do onsite feeding. (I don't do onsite feeding for any child whether breast, bottle, cup etc. Nothing personal.)
nannyde 11:58 AM 10-24-2014
and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy.

Have any of you providers who offer onsite breastfeeding had a mother who wanted privacy?
nannyde 12:03 PM 10-24-2014
or express breast milk that is not located in a bathroom, has access to an electrical outlet,

I'm confused as to why a mother would need to express milk at a child care???
Leigh 12:03 PM 10-24-2014
That is absolutely insane. I would drop my license in a moment (I can operate unlicensed in my state) or just quit the business.
nannyde 12:04 PM 10-24-2014
4.Children two years old and older may view no more than thirty minutes of age-appropriate, educational passive
technology per week.

Per WEEK?

What is the value of allowing thirty minutes a week? That is ridiculous.

Either you allow it or you don't.
Second Home 12:07 PM 10-24-2014
For us a child under 2 is a toddler per our regs , so this would apply to all infants up to age 2 .

It does not matter if the mother does not want privacy it is that we must have it available with running water . We all know how differently each person interprets regulations if not spelled out exactly what is expected . One person says just a cloth to cover up another may require a closed door room for privacy.
Second Home 12:08 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
technology per week.

Per WEEK?

What is the value of allowing thirty minutes a week? That is ridiculous.

Either you allow it or you don't.

The 30 min of screen time has been a reg for a while , the documenting and the difference between passive and interactive is the new part .
Maggie 12:09 PM 10-24-2014

Have any of you providers who offer onsite breastfeeding had a mother who wanted privacy?
I've only had one mom ever ask to do it and she sat in my living room with a blanket over her. My guess is that if they pass this you will be required to have this privacy area if you are licensed for this age group. Not accepting breast fed babies will probably not be an option.
Second Home 12:09 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
That is absolutely insane. I would drop my license in a moment (I can operate unlicensed in my state) or just quit the business.
Everyone here is required to be licensed or you are operating illegally.
Second Home 12:11 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I've only had one mom ever ask to do it and she sat in my living room with a blanket over her. My guess is that if they pass this you will be required to have this privacy area if you are licensed for this age group. Not accepting breast fed babies will probably not be an option.
Training Requirements
– Effective January 1, 2016, complete approved training in supporting breastfeeding practices
(if approved for infants and toddler care) and three clock hours of approved training in complying with the Americans
with Disabilities Act.

I bet in this training you would hear that you can not turn away someone because they want to breastfeed in your home .
nannyde 12:19 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Training Requirements
with Disabilities Act.

I bet in this training you would hear that you can not turn away someone because they want to breastfeed in your home .
Breastfeeding mothers are not covered under the disability act.
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 10-24-2014
What is their definition of a toddler? With extended breastfeeding a child all the way up to five could be breast feeding.

If I had this regulation, I wouldn't accept any breast fed babies. I don't want to be forced to do onsite feeding. (I don't do onsite feeding for any child whether breast, bottle, cup etc. Nothing personal.)
Here a child is a toddler only from 12-24 months.

ON their 2nd birthday, they are considered preschool age.

I don't think providers are going to be able to only accept formula fed babies as the regulation in this case state "When approved for infants and toddlers" which to me, means ANY infant/toddler.

If it is a loophole, I bet the close that one up pretty quickly.
nannyde 12:39 PM 10-24-2014

Providers are just going to interview either on the phone or in person and when the subject of breastfeeding comes up they will just not enroll the kid. They won't give a reason. They will just not choose the family.
Blackcat31 12:41 PM 10-24-2014
For us a child under 2 is a toddler per our regs , so this would apply to all infants up to age 2 .

It does not matter if the mother does not want privacy it is that we must have it available with running water . We all know how differently each person interprets regulations if not spelled out exactly what is expected . One person says just a cloth to cover up another may require a closed door room for privacy.
They will probably leave it up to the parent to decided what PRIVACY means to them.

Breastfeeding mothers are not covered under the disability act.
But I bet, it WILL be considered discrimination according to QRIS ... any of the star rating or accreditation programs.
LysesKids 01:28 PM 10-24-2014
OMG, I am so glad I never opened in MD which had been the original plan in 2000... I moved right over the state line & opened instead and then of course I have moved a few more times since. MD has some of the craziest regs I have ever seen. The TV/videos thing is fine by me because I don't have a Tellie anyway, but I am infants/Toddlers only under 2 and this would kill me as I do have moms that breast feed in my home; I wonder if being certified as a Postpartum doula would count as the training... I mean that is part of what we have to know when we get the certification... it's a lot of classes
Naptime yet? 03:31 PM 10-24-2014
I took the access to running water mean that they can breastfeed in any room, as long as there is an outlet, some privacy, & they can get to a faucet, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the same room (maybe a little shed in the backyard with an old fashioned water pump & an extension cord running to the house?).

Thank you, EXCELS! And Universal Preschool, which is being pushed here. The whole situation is screwed up, I just don't understand what is happening to family providers, why the state seems to be so against us (speaking as the former).

And as family providers are only allowed 2 under 2, and if universal preschool does happen, which would start at 3 or 4, that would basically leave before & after school care. Where's the money in that?
nannyde 03:36 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
I took the access to running water mean that they can breastfeed in any room, as long as there is an outlet, some privacy, & they can get to a faucet, but it doesn't necessarily have to be in the same room (maybe a little shed in the backyard with an old fashioned water pump & an extension cord running to the house?).

Thank you, EXCELS! And Universal Preschool, which is being pushed here. The whole situation is screwed up, I just don't understand what is happening to family providers, why the state seems to be so against us (speaking as the former).

And as family providers are only allowed 2 under 2, and if universal preschool does happen, which would start at 3 or 4, that would basically leave before & after school care. Where's the money in that?
The state already requires running water as a minimum standard. Why would they put running water in this reg?

I don't want a breastfeeding mom at my kitchen sink. I don't want them handwashing or cleaning their equipment in my sink.
grateday 09:12 PM 10-27-2014
I have a room set up for breastfeeding mothers it has a rocker a ottoman
it has a green hose and the water on and off is outside. The hose goes through a hole in my screen. When its 40 below outside I just get sick of the complaints. To get it running again I just insulate and heat the hose. I make sure to get the mothers a warm blanket. I also do not charge anything extra for this, I also have to keep one child awake 1 hour because they take that room that the child sleeps in. Don't forget mom thinks it is a good time for everyone else to behave because they are on her time don't you know.
Unregistered 03:52 AM 10-28-2014
Providers are just going to interview either on the phone or in person and when the subject of breastfeeding comes up they will just not enroll the kid. They won't give a reason. They will just not choose the family.
I'm pretty sure they'll check to see if you do have the requirements. I live in a state that you can operate without a license or with a license and more children. For those who have a license, including centers, you have to have a breast feeding ROOM. They actually check for this and you can be closed down if you don't have it or the room is used for any thing else. It can't be like a closet, some of the closets around here are HUGE, or any thing like that. It has to be a room.
Unregistered 03:54 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:

I actually live in a state that has universal preschool for three year olds. I must say it's pretty clear to me that this will one day be a national thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they took two year olds one day. I know of a lot of districts that take the BABIES of teachers in special daycares that run by the board.
nannyde 05:27 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I actually live in a state that has universal preschool for three year olds. I must say it's pretty clear to me that this will one day be a national thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they took two year olds one day. I know of a lot of districts that take the BABIES of teachers in special daycares that run by the board.
They will absolutely do two year olds. I think Georgia and one other Midwestern state does.. maybe Oklahoma
Angelsj 05:40 AM 10-28-2014

I don't mind the breastfeeding, but I do take non nappers. I let them watch a 1.5 hour movie for their "rest period." Often several will fall asleep, but I don't require it.
We don't have actual connection to any cable service, so no commercials, but they love disney movies and even the barbie princess movies.
So for different reasons, that also would not work for me.
Angelsj 05:45 AM 10-28-2014

Actually, no, and I have had a LOT of BF moms do so at my home. They just use a cover up. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I have never had that request. I think that goes a little far for a home daycare. I suppose I could set one up in the nursery upstairs, but that seems ridiculous.
Are we supposed to let them access non daycare areas?? Or build a special room?
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 10-28-2014
I'm pretty sure they'll check to see if you do have the requirements. I live in a state that you can operate without a license or with a license and more children. For those who have a license, including centers, you have to have a breast feeding ROOM. They actually check for this and you can be closed down if you don't have it or the room is used for any thing else. It can't be like a closet, some of the closets around here are HUGE, or any thing like that. It has to be a room.
In my state, you are not required to do/have things that do not meet the needs of your clients.

For example I do not transport so I do not have to have the transportation training.

If I don't provide care for infants, I am not required to have a crib safety checklist.

So I would not be required to have a room for breastfeeding moms if I don't provide services to infants and toddlers.
Cat Herder 06:45 AM 10-28-2014
Privacy, electrical outlet and running water for someone to express milk at my house I guess they can have the tree house, garden hose and an electrical extension cord.

It is just as close to their own homes as mine during their lunch hour. Why would I host expressing milk?????? I don't mind hosting a separate small playroom freezer for expressed breast milk storage (which is my reg)... but hosting the actual expression too? I don't do adult care.

Forget it. Way out of hand.
Rachel 10:56 AM 10-28-2014

I don't see anything in the reading that says it applies only to breast fed babies. It seems like you would need such an area even if only for formula fed babies.
Leigh 11:19 AM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Privacy, electrical outlet and running water for someone to express milk at my house I guess they can have the tree house, garden hose and an electrical extension cord.

It is just as close to their own homes as mine during their lunch hour. Why would I host expressing milk?????? I don't mind hosting a separate small playroom freezer for expressed breast milk storage (which is my reg)... but hosting the actual expression too? I don't do adult care.

Forget it. Way out of hand.
I don't understand this, either. WHY is it the duty of a provider to provide a place to express milk?!?!? I could see them requiring a provider to allow breastfeeding (which I also would not agree with requiring), but a person can pump nearly anywhere-the mom's employer is already required to provide a place, so WHY would a parent have to drive to daycare to pump? It's ridiculous!
nannyde 12:23 PM 10-28-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
I don't see anything in the reading that says it applies only to breast fed babies. It seems like you would need such an area even if only for formula fed babies.
It says breastfeeding.
Unregistered 05:33 AM 10-29-2014
I just saw the proposed changes to the MD regs , they start on page 3 . Here are a few of the changes .

http://marylandpublicschools.org/MSD...erFall2014.pdf

Rooms Used for Care

Training Requirements
with Disabilities Act.

General Supervision
– Provide supervision that is appropriate to the individual age, needs, capabilities, activities, and
location of the child and may include, but not be limited to making reasonable accommodations for a child with special
needs in accordance with applicable federal and state law, and allowing an adult who provides specialized services to
a child in care having special needs to provide those services at the home in accordance with the child’s individualized
education plan, individualized family services plan, or written behavioral plan.

Activities– Screen Time Activities
The following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
(a) “Passive technology” means non-interactive television, videos, and streaming media.
(b)
“Interactive technology” means educational and age-appropriate technology designed to facilitate active
and creative use and to encourage social engagement with other children and adults, including programs,
applications (apps), non-commercial television programming, videos, streaming media, and e-books.

2.Limited use of appropriate interactive technology may support, but may not replace, creative play, physical
activity, hands-on exploration, outdoor experiences, social interactions and other developmentally appropriate
learning activities for children aged two and older.

3.Children under the age of two may not view any passive technology.

technology per week.

5.Exceptions.
(a)
Occasional exceptions to the weekly passive technology viewing limit may be made for special events or
projects, including holiday or birthday celebrations, or educational content related to curriculum.
(b)
Written records shall be kept on file for exceptions to the weekly passive technology viewing limit, documenting the title and length of the programming viewed and the reason for the exception.

6.No children may view any:
(a)
Passive or active technology during meals or snacks unless such viewing is included in the child’s Individualized Family Service Plan, Individualized Education Plan, or similar document, or
(b) Media with brand placement or advertising for unhealthy or sugary food and beverages.

7.The provider/operator shall give the parent of each enrolled child a written screen time policy addressing the
use of passive and interactive technology.
Well......since this private nursing area will need to be implemented into my daycare space, which, btw, I could easily accommodate but have never needed. Add the need for my tax ID number, which since licensing does not pay me, I feel is totally unnecessary and just another way to control us, I've had enough. After 27 years I'm punching out........I will not be renewing my registration. I will be going unregistered and just continue to care for my grandchildren until a desired position opens up elsewhere.
Too PC for me. Too much control over what is supposed to be my business.
Unregistered 05:37 AM 10-29-2014
They will probably leave it up to the parent to decided what PRIVACY means to them.

But I bet, it WILL be considered discrimination according to QRIS ... any of the star rating or accreditation programs.
Maybe I misunderstood this, but what does breastfeeding have to do with The disability act?
Does anyone know?
sugar buzz 05:44 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That mental image almost made me spit my coffee out--
Second Home 07:24 AM 10-29-2014
Maybe I misunderstood this, but what does breastfeeding have to do with The disability act?
Does anyone know?

I don't know but since the new mandatory training includes both support for breastfeeding and ADA I bet it will figure in there somewhere .At least that is what it sounds like to me .
Second Home 07:28 AM 10-29-2014
Rooms Used for Care
access to running water, and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy

To me this sounds like if you are lic to care for infants - toddlers you must have this area whether you have infants / breastfed babies enrolled in care or not .
Even if I have no infants/toddlers enrolled I must have and show the equipment I am required to have if I am lic for them
LysesKids 07:52 AM 10-29-2014
Rooms Used for Care
access to running water, and accommodates a mother’s need for privacy

To me this sounds like if you are lic to care for infants - toddlers you must have this area whether you have infants / breastfed babies enrolled in care or not .
Even if I have no infants/toddlers enrolled I must have and show the equipment I am required to have if I am lic for them
And like I said earlier, I am so glad I never opened in MD as was originally planned; as much as I love my family & friends that still there, I am glad I moved away
Unregistered 08:01 AM 10-29-2014
I don't know but since the new mandatory training includes both support for breastfeeding and ADA I bet it will figure in there somewhere .At least that is what it sounds like to me .
So, is breastfeeding considered a disability? It's a natural part of childbearing...
KidGrind 08:36 AM 10-29-2014
Maryland Providers NEED to ban together and protest these ridiculous regulations for us, parents and the children.

Parents go to jail, steal and have mental issues. It puts our business, home, family and clients’ children potential danger and property loss. Giving birth does not make you a trustworthy individual.

No other business requires customers to have unsupervised access to their facilities.
nannyde 08:40 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I don't see how not accepting breast fed babies wouldn't be an option. They aren't a protected class.

It won't be spoken maybe. But in the end, at some point in the interview process the mom has to declare how the child is fed. A provider who doesn't offer the service is just going to decline interviewing.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 10-29-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
Maryland Providers NEED to ban together and protest these ridiculous regulations for us, parents and the children.

Parents go to jail, steal and have mental issues. It puts our business, home, family and clients’ children potential danger and property loss. Giving birth does not make you a trustworthy individual.

No other business requires customers to have unsupervised access to their facilities.
I agree!
Unregistered 10:14 AM 10-29-2014
I don't see how not accepting breast fed babies wouldn't be an option. They aren't a protected class.

It won't be spoken maybe. But in the end, at some point in the interview process the mom has to declare how the child is fed. A provider who doesn't offer the service is just going to decline interviewing.
When interviewing for an infant slot I always insist that the baby needs to be able to drink from a bottle if I am to care for them. That usually brings what and how the baby will be fed.
And, if the slot will be "filled" or not.
Tags:breastfeeding in daycare, over regulation, qris, regulations - crazy, unreasonable expectations
Reply Up