Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snacks
TwinMama 04:57 PM 04-23-2016
What kind of foods do you provide for snack time?

Do you offer more than one choice?

What portion size for each child?
nothingwithoutjoy 06:00 PM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by TwinMama:
What kind of foods do you provide for snack time?

Do you offer more than one choice?

What portion size for each child?
Snacks are usually very simple here, and usually have 2 items. Kids can have one or both, and portions are not limited (within reason; sometimes I do have to say that's all there is). However, if they're gobbling up one thing and ignoring the other, I sometimes say I'll get them more food when all the food on their table is gone. Snack foods include:
green smoothies
cut fruit
cut veggies
muffins
cheese
chips/salsa
popcorn
nuts
popsicles (pretty much a smoothie, frozen)
crackers/peanut butter
Unregistered 06:30 PM 04-23-2016
String cheese or cheese slices
Annie's crackers-bunny, graham or others Annie's crackers
I like to spread whipped cream cheese on graham crackers
Carrots and green peppers or cucumbers and homemade dip
Homemade muffins
Homade oatmeal cookies
Smoothies
Apple slices
Watermelon in the summer
peanut butter toast
Trail mix made with different cereals and crazins. And or golden raisins. I also make one called extra special trail mix that has a peanut butter coating
Yogurt
HM Pumpkin cookies or bars
Black olives and cheese on a stick pretzel

Let's go fishing! Rod pretzel, peanut butter or almond butter, goldfish crackers. Kids dip "rod" in nut butter and stick a fish on!

Cottage cheese and pineapple
Homemade granola bars
HM Blueberry oatmeal bars
Homemade chunky applesauce...yummy served warm! Just chop up peeled apples and cook for about 10 min.
Thawed frozen peas
Salsa and organic blue corn chips
Fruit salsa and cinnamon tortilla chips
Tortilla and PB&J
Frozen 100% juice (organic) Popsicles
I normally do one serving, and possibly a little extra. Not A large second serving. I follow the food program.....one item from two different food groups.
Frozen Yogurt in a tube-organic
I do maybe 90% organic
TwinMama 07:53 PM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
String cheese or cheese slices
Annie's crackers-bunny, graham or others Annie's crackers
I like to spread whipped cream cheese on graham crackers
Carrots and green peppers or cucumbers and homemade dip
Homemade muffins
Homade oatmeal cookies
Smoothies
Apple slices
Watermelon in the summer
peanut butter toast
Trail mix made with different cereals and crazins. And or golden raisins. I also make one called extra special trail mix that has a peanut butter coating
Yogurt
HM Pumpkin cookies or bars
Black olives and cheese on a stick pretzel

Let's go fishing! Rod pretzel, peanut butter or almond butter, goldfish crackers. Kids dip "rod" in nut butter and stick a fish on!

Cottage cheese and pineapple
Homemade granola bars
HM Blueberry oatmeal bars
Homemade chunky applesauce...yummy served warm! Just chop up peeled apples and cook for about 10 min.
Thawed frozen peas
Salsa and organic blue corn chips
Fruit salsa and cinnamon tortilla chips
Tortilla and PB&J
Frozen 100% juice (organic) Popsicles
I normally do one serving, and possibly a little extra. Not A large second serving. I follow the food program.....one item from two different food groups.
Frozen Yogurt in a tube-organic
I do maybe 90% organic
Such fun ideas!!! Do you have recipes you could share for your homemade stuff? Seeing your list makes me feel boring.
TwinMama 07:54 PM 04-23-2016
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Snacks are usually very simple here, and usually have 2 items. Kids can have one or both, and portions are not limited (within reason; sometimes I do have to say that's all there is). However, if they're gobbling up one thing and ignoring the other, I sometimes say I'll get them more food when all the food on their table is gone. Snack foods include:
green smoothies
cut fruit
cut veggies
muffins
cheese
chips/salsa
popcorn
nuts
popsicles (pretty much a smoothie, frozen)
crackers/peanut butter
I never thought about smoothies! What do you put in yours?
Josiegirl 04:01 AM 04-24-2016
Such fun ideas!!! Do you have recipes you could share for your homemade stuff? Seeing your list makes me feel boring.
Makes me feel boring too! But then my kids can be so picky..... even the fun cute fishing idea would be disliked by my peanut butter hater. Tell me, how can you not like peanut butter!!??
My snacks are basic(and boring)
yogurt
apples/p.b.(except for above mentioned child)
trail mixes with leftover cereals, raisins
cheese/crackers
muffins
eng. muffin pizza
veggies/hummus
rolled up deli turkey or ham/crackers
kabob style pineapple chunks, ham, cheese

Haha Friday was clean out the fridge day, kids were eating leftover sloppy joe mix, chicken, pancakes, etc. Kids loved it and I didn't have much food to throw out this weekend.
Unregistered 04:11 PM 04-24-2016
Don't feel bad. Basic is fine. I just have an obsession with lots of variety. It's kind of my hobby to find new recipes.

I just chop up various fruits for the fruit salsa. Then you take soft tortillas, lightly butter, I spread a very fine amount of maple syrup, but the recipe calls for sprinkled sugar, so that fine too. Take a pizza cutter and cut into triangles. Lightly bake. Use to scoop fruit!

My smoothies always start with frozen banana chunks. This makes the smoothie thick like soft serve ice cream almost! Then I throw in other frozen fruit (or fresh), yogurt and milk.

I just tried to cut and paste my pumpkin cookie recipe but I couldn't do it from my iPad.

The extra special trail mix is on a PC that's not hooked up right now. I'll type that up, as it's not too long.
3 cups Cherios (I use organic O's)
2 cups Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal ( or your choice of other)
1 cups pretzel sticks
1/2 c creamy p. Nut butter
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup craisins
1/2 cup ch. chips
You can add other things if you want
Heat p nut butter and butter to boiling., stirring often, pour over cereal mix. Toss, spread on ungraded cookie sheet. Bake 10 min. I don't have the temp. Let cool. Add ch chips, raisins, Usually I just pour over and stir, and let cool. I don't bake it.

Here's an easy one....Apple biscuit bake. 1 triangle of a crescent roll, 1 apple slice, a little sugar and cinnamon. (I use a tiny bit of maple syrup instead. I also use immaculate brand which at least isn't loaded with artificial stuff...but it's spendy)
Roll up and bake at 350 for maybe 5-7 min. I just watch them close!
LysesKids 06:47 PM 04-24-2016
Being that I am doing countries of the day, my babies get what is normal for that area we are observing - yep, other countries don't pamper the kids, they eat what parents eat inc snacks. Haven't had too many problems yet. Tomorrow is Moroccan. Discovered my babes will eat almost anything before age 18 months lol
nothingwithoutjoy 06:49 PM 04-24-2016
I never thought about smoothies! What do you put in yours?
some kind of milk or yogurt (usually almond milk)
greens (usually spinach, sometimes kale, cucumber, lettuce)
slightly more fruit than there were greens--anything! At least part of that should be frozen.
some water if needed
I usually add flax seeds or chia seeds, too.

Blueberry-spinach-peach-coconut milk is the current favorite.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:51 PM 04-24-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Haha Friday was clean out the fridge day, kids were eating leftover sloppy joe mix, chicken, pancakes, etc. Kids loved it and I didn't have much food to throw out this weekend.
Yes--I forgot to say that: we are open M-Th. So Thursday afternoon snack is "leftovers." I use whatever little bits were left throughout the week and serve it buffet style; they come get what they want.
MunchkinWrangler 07:18 PM 04-24-2016
I love these ideas, now if only I could get my kids to eat the veggies and fruit! My son of course loves the variety and usually gets the biggest snack because he isn't all that picky. On the other hand I feel like I'm starving my picky eater because she will only eat crackers, string cheese and applesauce. Meals are a struggle here!
Josiegirl 02:11 AM 04-25-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I love these ideas, now if only I could get my kids to eat the veggies and fruit! My son of course loves the variety and usually gets the biggest snack because he isn't all that picky. On the other hand I feel like I'm starving my picky eater because she will only eat crackers, string cheese and applesauce. Meals are a struggle here!
To all the picky eater feeders, if it's any consolation that will most likely change when they're older. All of my own kids went through that when they were little, picked out anything they could see that didn't belong, 2 of my kids would not drink milk for a long time, they only had certain things they would eat for stretches of time, then like magic, they grew up and eat way more variety than I ever did. Sushi? I almost refuse to try it, all my kids love it. They cook with things like coconut milk, chia and flax seeds, quinoa, etc. I don't.
Thriftylady 05:40 AM 04-25-2016
I am not on the food program, but loosely follow their guidelines. So I serve at least two food groups for a snack. Something like carbs I do not offer seconds of. They can have unlimited veggies. Usually they don't want more of those. They will ask for more crackers, and I will say "no would you like some more carrots?" they always so "well then I'm full".
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 04-25-2016
I do NOT serve any grains for snack. I only serve fresh veggies and sometimes fruit but 99.9% of the time it's fresh veggies only.

We use different dips with our veggies but it's all veggies all the time.

I serve milk or water as a choice.

My kids all love veggies.

You name it, they eat it.
MunchkinWrangler 09:38 AM 04-25-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
To all the picky eater feeders, if it's any consolation that will most likely change when they're older. All of my own kids went through that when they were little, picked out anything they could see that didn't belong, 2 of my kids would not drink milk for a long time, they only had certain things they would eat for stretches of time, then like magic, they grew up and eat way more variety than I ever did. Sushi? I almost refuse to try it, all my kids love it. They cook with things like coconut milk, chia and flax seeds, quinoa, etc. I don't.
I got so sick of throwing food away/money that I gave in. I'm realizing that was a huge mistake but I've noticed the same trend with families serving junk and me serving the good stuff. My dcg will say she's hungry but if I serve her something she doesn't like she's not. My son is pretty good and I hate to say she's an influence but I've noticed he has stopped eating veggies he used to love and will usually only eat them for dinner when no one is around.
TwinMama 11:37 AM 04-25-2016
I got so sick of throwing food away/money that I gave in. I'm realizing that was a huge mistake but I've noticed the same trend with families serving junk and me serving the good stuff. My dcg will say she's hungry but if I serve her something she doesn't like she's not. My son is pretty good and I hate to say she's an influence but I've noticed he has stopped eating veggies he used to love and will usually only eat them for dinner when no one is around.
This is another issue I have. I have 2 dcg that come after school. All they want is garbage. They'd literally sit and eat crackers the whole time. They refuse fruit and vegetables.
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 04-25-2016
I got so sick of throwing food away/money .
In the garbage or in their tummy. Either way its gone

Once you adopt that mantra/attitude its easy....

You serve - they eat (or dont)

But thats it.

In the tummy or in the trash. Either way its gone.

My kiddos ate a cucumber, 3 bell peppers (1 each red, yellow and orange) and carrot sticks today. Then they ate lunch... cooked mixed veggies, pasta and grilled chicken.

For snack they'll eat another array of fresh veggies with hummus.

NONE of my kiddos started with me eating that way right off but within a week or two of regular attendance, a little positive "peer pressure" (see/watch what friends are doing) and never being offered an alternative and they are ALL awesome eaters.

At least once a week I get a parent that will tell me Jr won't or doesn't eat that at home.
I just smile because they eat it here.
CityGarden 12:21 PM 04-25-2016
When my program launches this summer snack making will be a planned part of the curriculum that the children will help prepare/ make so there will be a weekly rhythm to it. I am not sure I am sticking to this order but here is a general idea:

Monday - Soup with chips or homemade croutons
Tuesday - Oatmeal with milk and pear
Wednesday - Fresh baked bread with fruit and butter
Thursday - Hummus, whole wheat pita and carrot sticks
Friday - Rotation of fruit salad, fresh made apple sauce or popcorn
CityGarden 12:23 PM 04-25-2016
My daughter's old preschool has a stellar cook and this is their PM Snack List this month:

Afternoon Snack
Fresh Fruit
Rice with Beans
Peaches & Cottage Cheese
Pizza
Banana Bread
Mixed Veggies
Lentils
Yogurt with Fruit
Fruit Salad
Apple Muffins
Soft Pretzel
Pineapple & Cottage Cheese
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pasta with cheese
Quesadillas
Zucchini Bread
Cheese and crackers

I love this but since I plan to have the kids helping cook and want to min cost and potential waste it won't work for my program. Still great ideas
Thriftylady 12:33 PM 04-25-2016
This is another issue I have. I have 2 dcg that come after school. All they want is garbage. They'd literally sit and eat crackers the whole time. They refuse fruit and vegetables.
Crackers would come off the menu!
TwinMama 12:48 PM 04-25-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
My daughter's old preschool has a stellar cook and this is their PM Snack List this month:

Afternoon Snack
Fresh Fruit
Rice with Beans
Peaches & Cottage Cheese
Pizza
Banana Bread
Mixed Veggies
Lentils
Yogurt with Fruit
Fruit Salad
Apple Muffins
Soft Pretzel
Pineapple & Cottage Cheese
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Pasta with cheese
Quesadillas
Zucchini Bread
Cheese and crackers

I love this but since I plan to have the kids helping cook and want to min cost and potential waste it won't work for my program. Still great ideas
Those are awesome ideas! I think I'll try it!!!
TwinMama 01:40 PM 04-25-2016
I served sugar snap peas and yellow pepper slices with hummus and ranch.The kids looked at me like I was serving dog turds because I didn't give them crackers. One of the 2 year olds asked for more and the 4 year old did too since he realized that was all he was getting. We'll see how bad the school aged kids complain when they get here
Thriftylady 02:36 PM 04-25-2016
I served sugar snap peas and yellow pepper slices with hummus and ranch.The kids looked at me like I was serving dog turds because I didn't give them crackers. One of the 2 year olds asked for more and the 4 year old did too since he realized that was all he was getting. We'll see how bad the school aged kids complain when they get here
Well if they complain to loud just tell them what I tell my kids. "This is the take it or leave it cafe, so take it or leave it but this is all you are getting since I am not a short order cook".
TwinMama 05:10 PM 04-25-2016
It was a hit!!!! When they realized that they weren't getting graham crackers or anything they ate it and asked for seconds. Then when we went outside to play they asked if I could bring more snap peas and peppers out for them to eat. They even bragged to their parents what they ate for snack!
Thriftylady 05:14 PM 04-25-2016
It was a hit!!!! When they realized that they weren't getting graham crackers or anything they ate it and asked for seconds. Then when we went outside to play they asked if I could bring more snap peas and peppers out for them to eat. They even bragged to their parents what they ate for snack!
Congrats!!! Sometimes I swear they just don't get veggies at home so they seem so foreign they fear them. I know that is the case with some of mine.
MunchkinWrangler 08:35 PM 04-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In the garbage or in their tummy. Either way its gone

Once you adopt that mantra/attitude its easy....

You serve - they eat (or dont)

But thats it.

In the tummy or in the trash. Either way its gone.

My kiddos ate a cucumber, 3 bell peppers (1 each red, yellow and orange) and carrot sticks today. Then they ate lunch... cooked mixed veggies, pasta and grilled chicken.

For snack they'll eat another array of fresh veggies with hummus.

NONE of my kiddos started with me eating that way right off but within a week or two of regular attendance, a little positive "peer pressure" (see/watch what friends are doing) and never being offered an alternative and they are ALL awesome eaters.

At least once a week I get a parent that will tell me Jr won't or doesn't eat that at home.
I just smile because they eat it here.
I got the state today with watermelon!!?! I understand what you are saying. I truly do but I would much rather have money in the belly not the garbage. I'm changing it up though. I don't want to be the type of provider that hands over junk on a daily basis so I'm going to take some good snack ideas from this thread and forge ahead.

At least the babies I have love pretty much everything I serve so I'm happy that I'm setting them up for good eating habits and their parents appreciate it also!
Tags:snack times, snacks
Reply Up