Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Is There Anyone That Just Doesn't Do a Weekly/ Monthly Menu?
Orange2001 01:43 PM 09-02-2016
I just can't stick to it at all when I do take the time to plan it. I often use left over from the night before or just feel like making it easier then I had planned because of however the morning was or the kids moods. I do use brightwheep with most parents so they do know what they had just not ahead of time. Anyone have opinions or ideas to talk me into it. I'm not on the food program still working with licensing to set up home inspection. I'm in a really rural location and my inspector is about an hour and 15 mins away.
Unregistered 01:52 PM 09-02-2016
I started off doing weekly menus but stopped because sometimes I needed to switch up the menu last minute because either I ran out of something or the morning was hectic. I also use bright wheel but before then I was giving each parent a daily sheet and wrote out what we ate that day. I felt like I was doing double the work and making myself stress out if I didn't make everything that was planned for the day so I cut out the menu. Parents still know what their kids are eating daily because of the app. I don't allow outside food so them knowing ahead of time what I planned to make a particular really didn't matter. It's not like they have the option to pack a lunch if they didnt like what I planned to make.
grandmom 02:02 PM 09-02-2016
I plan lunch - about an hour before its due to be on the table. Hmmm what's for lunch today? I can't imagine having a menu a month in advance.
childcaremom 02:40 PM 09-02-2016
No plan. I just serve leftovers. Any planning is done the night before when I am making dinner and involves making sure I make enough for lunch the next day.
MsHannah 02:53 PM 09-02-2016
In Wisconsin, we are required to post a menu for the parents to see. We are also required to keep three months' worth of menus on file for licensing to look at.
Josiegirl 04:38 AM 09-03-2016
I've tried. I really have. I found there were always so many alterations I had to make, that my menus ended up looking confusing. I tried posting them on our bulletin board, dcps never checked them out. I do send home a daily note and that tells the parents what their child ate during the day.

Now I post my planned menu for the week, on my kitchen cupboard door. The FP representative sees that it's available and it makes her happy. All that usually stays the same(mostly) is the main course.
Baby Beluga 01:47 PM 09-06-2016
I do a 5 week rotating menu, but it is used loosely. It helps greatly with planning snacks and breakfast. Lunch is often leftovers from dinner the night before.
Lovisa 06:09 AM 09-07-2016
No planning here. I just make sure to always have a variety of food in the house and I figure it out every day! No biggie
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:53 AM 09-07-2016
In Ohio you must have a dated posted menu. I try to do mine a month at a time because it is easier. Fruit may vary and some days get flipped but generally it is accurate.
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 09-07-2016
Our meals and snacks consist of whatever I (or my DH) feels like making that day.

I am not required to post a menu for parents but the food program "suggests" that we do, however it still doesn't have to be pre-planned...so I just write "Today we had: ______" and fill in the blanks so parents can see at pick up what was served for the day.
LysesKids 08:39 PM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our meals and snacks consist of whatever I (or my DH) feels like making that day.

I am not required to post a menu for parents but the food program "suggests" that we do, however it still doesn't have to be pre-planned...so I just write "Today we had: ______" and fill in the blanks so parents can see at pick up what was served for the day.
I understand that 100% lol; My parents have no issue with it that way
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I understand that 100% lol; My parents have no issue with it that way
I used to plan things but then once you actually work in the daycare world, you slowly come to realize that the word "plan" is more like a suggestion or an opinion and not necessarily how things will actually go.

PLAN is an evil word.

Sometimes I have a hearty, healthy but favorite meal planned.

But then Johnny poos down his legs and up his back, while Sally figured out how to get into the stamp pads and is inking up a storm on Billy's arm. Janie, meanwhile is having a melt down because a blue car drove by and she's convinced that it is her mom's yellow mini van heading home and forgetting to pick her up. Xander is hollering from the bathroom that he thinks something "might" be wrong with the faucet since the water is pouring down the front of the sink and while he holds the door open to report this issue, Katie snuck in and thinks it's time for water/sensory play.

But WAIT!!!! I totally forgot to get the water started so I can boil noodles and I have no idea if I even remembered to buy cheese for the garlic bread......

What's that, Joey? You had "bahsketti" last night and again for breakfast this morning?

Ooookkkkkkaaaaayyyyy........

So yep..... PLANS don't always go according to plan.

But I try.

That ^^ (trying) really is what it's all about right?

(Unless the answer is the Hokey Pokey and in that case, I'm out. I had "bahsketti" for breakfast this morning and don't think I could shake it all about if I wanted to.
Unregistered 05:06 PM 09-24-2016
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
In Ohio you must have a dated posted menu. I try to do mine a month at a time because it is easier. Fruit may vary and some days get flipped but generally it is accurate.
This is me too! Required to plan and post. I do love to plan meals & snacks. I post weekly but have about two dozen weeks of plans. I generally buy and prepare what is planned. Serving a lot of fresh fruit can cause an upset because sometimes it's not ripe till end of the week.
Josiegirl 02:21 PM 09-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I used to plan things but then once you actually work in the daycare world, you slowly come to realize that the word "plan" is more like a suggestion or an opinion and not necessarily how things will actually go.

PLAN is an evil word.

Sometimes I have a hearty, healthy but favorite meal planned.

But then Johnny poos down his legs and up his back, while Sally figured out how to get into the stamp pads and is inking up a storm on Billy's arm. Janie, meanwhile is having a melt down because a blue car drove by and she's convinced that it is her mom's yellow mini van heading home and forgetting to pick her up. Xander is hollering from the bathroom that he thinks something "might" be wrong with the faucet since the water is pouring down the front of the sink and while he holds the door open to report this issue, Katie snuck in and thinks it's time for water/sensory play.

But WAIT!!!! I totally forgot to get the water started so I can boil noodles and I have no idea if I even remembered to buy cheese for the garlic bread......

What's that, Joey? You had "bahsketti" last night and again for breakfast this morning?

Ooookkkkkkaaaaayyyyy........

So yep..... PLANS don't always go according to plan.

But I try.

That ^^ (trying) really is what it's all about right?

(Unless the answer is the Hokey Pokey and in that case, I'm out. I had "bahsketti" for breakfast this morning and don't think I could shake it all about if I wanted to.
Oh YEH now that'd be a plan all shot to he!!. Calgon take me away.
lovemydaycare0912 08:39 PM 09-26-2016
I usually plan Sunday for the week that way I know what I need to buy for the week etc. Sometimes it doesn't go as planned, but it helps me to not serve the same thing like snack everyday.
hwichlaz 12:52 PM 01-24-2017
I have theme days, and each day has 2 or 3 main dishes that I rotate through. Meatless Mondays, Taco Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, Theme Thursday (goes with preschool theme) and Fish Fridays. Meatless Mondays are usually HM MacNCheese or Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato Soup, Tuesdays is Ground turkey tacos, or quesadillas, or bean and cheese burritos, wednesdays is HM Happy meals or left overs, Fridays is tuna sandwiches (tuna melts during cold weather) or salmon patties.
Jupadia 01:11 PM 01-24-2017
I try not to. If I have a parent that only wants there kid to eat cretin things then I'll provide a menu so they can send food when they want (kids eat heathy but I've had a parent into the organic foods). Or sometimes when I have a baby who still has not tried some foods. (For them though I try to get and attend list of new foods that are ok and have parents keep meals here if possible (jar food) ( or something that will last a few days. Under 1 and they bring all their own food.
trix23 07:28 PM 02-17-2017
I have a 16-week rotational menu with meals and snacks all planned and recipes organized by each week. Anything other than this and I'd be making the same things every week for lack of ideas. I also eat what the kids eat, so I'm vested in it being good. :] I cook only breakfast and lunch and my family eats the leftover lunch (so I have evenings free!).
Josiegirl 04:34 PM 02-18-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I have a 16-week rotational menu with meals and snacks all planned and recipes organized by each week. Anything other than this and I'd be making the same things every week for lack of ideas. I also eat what the kids eat, so I'm vested in it being good. :] I cook only breakfast and lunch and my family eats the leftover lunch (so I have evenings free!).
I do find I make the same things over and over.....and over, sigh. But they eat plain foods. Noodles with nothing on them except butter and parmesan. Plain chicken, not even barbecued chicken. How on earth would I ever get 16 weeks of menus out of that, I'd be lucky to get 2 weeks of different things they'll eat. I've spent too much time trying to make new, different, yummy meals for them only to be throwing 95% of it away. I feel like I'm giving into their habits but it's what they'll eat. I keep foods separate, always offering lots of fresh fruits and veggies.
The ole frustrating meals dilemma never seems to end.
Madison 08:45 PM 02-19-2017
I like to make a copy of the school lunch and follow that for a guide.
Lovisa 08:38 AM 02-20-2017
No meal planning here at all!
debbiedoeszip 09:52 AM 03-06-2017
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
No plan. I just serve leftovers. Any planning is done the night before when I am making dinner and involves making sure I make enough for lunch the next day.
Ditto.
BGM 08:44 AM 06-21-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I know this is an old post, but I was searching for some menu planning ideas and LOVED the idea to eat lunch leftovers for dinner! Thanks!
hwichlaz 02:39 PM 06-22-2017
I plan the entrees, the sides change depending on how much of each thing I have on hand.
Tags:menu - monthly, menu - weekly
Reply Up