Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>contracts
Magic 07:18 AM 01-23-2013
I am very new here and very happy to find this site and of course I have a huge question right away.

I am in Canada which I dont know if it makes a difference in contrats.
I run a family licensed day care the issue is I have a hard time letting people not respect my contract which is costing me money and disrespect of course
I swear the clients read it and file it the same day they sign in the garbage

I am today rewriting the business end of contract mainly payment and days so I am asking for some input about a couple issues

late fee for over due payment ......what is fair?
late fee for late pick up after schedualed time of pick up ...what is fair ?

I now charge by the day not monthly rate, so is it fair for me to say " any change in regular days and hours , a months writen notice ...is that fair?
a deposite for return after termination ...what is fair amount?
and well any other toughts any one would have no this.

This week though clear in my contract has cost me about 1,300 $$ from a client that stopped a check gave no notice and no explination ( I know it has nothing to do with me ) and I have to concider if small clams court is going to be an option

The guardan is a grandma of a special needs boy and she sang the blues to me the whole time so part is my own fault for bending some rules for her and she took advantage of me ... the saddest part is the child she was doing so well here and grandma is burning bridges eveywhere and it is the child that is going to suffer

Please I need some input to protect myself and yes I need to learn to be more firm in my business
Thank every one
Angelwings36 07:33 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Magic:
I am very new here and very happy to find this site

and of course I have a huge question right away
I am in Canada which I dont know if it makes a difference in contrats
I run a family licensed day care
the issue is
I have a hard time letting people not respect my contract which is costing me money and disrespect of course
I swear the clients read it and file it the same day they sign in the garbage

so I am today rewriting the business end of contract mainly payment and days
so I am asking for some input about a couple issues

late fee for over due payment ......what is fair
late fee for late pick up after schedualed time of pick up ...what is fair
I now charge by the day not monthly rate, so is it fair for me to say " any change in regular days and hours , a months writen notice ...is that fair
a deposite for return after termination ...what is fair amount
and well any other toughts any one would have no this

this week though clear in my contract has cost me about 1,300 $$ from a client that stopped a check gave no notice and no explination ( I know it has nothing to do with me )
and I have to concider if small clams court is going to be an option

the guardan is a grandma of a special needs boy and she sang the blues to me the whole time so part is my own fault for bending some rules for her and she took advantage of me ...
the saddest part is the child sho was doing so well here and grandma is burning bridges eveywhere and it is the child that is going to suffer
please I need some input to protect myself and yes I need to learn to be more firm in my business
thank every one
Hello Magic! I am also in Canada. I am sorry that you are dealing with so many issues and $1300 is alot to lose in this line of business. I would recommend that you start by sending this grandmother a registered demand letter to collect the fees she owes you and then file with small claims court.

1. For late payments I charge $25/day from the parent's contracted drop off time on the day that the payment is due. So this means that if a parent forgets to pay me in the morning (drop off time) of their pay date they would owe a late fee of $25 already when they paid me at their pick up time the same day. I expect payments prior to services and this is why my late fees begin from drop off of the pay date. I also have in my contract that I will not accept children into care if payment is not made on time so I can turn them away at the door.

2. I charge $15 for every 15 minutes or part of 15 minutes that a family is later then their contracted pick up time to pick up their child. This means a family is charged $15 if they are 1 minute passed their contracted pick up time, 6 minutes or 15 minutes.

3. I expect all schedules to be submitted to me by the 15th of the month prior. Once a family submits their schedule to me they are locked in for the days they book so they pay regardless of attendance. I also will not let a family switch one day for another.

4. My deposits are considered non-refundable UNLESS I am given proper termination notice. I expect a one month's termination notice to be given on the 1st of the month only. (Same as rent in Canada).

I hope the above helps.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 01-23-2013
Welcome to the forum! We have many members from Canada so you are definitely not alone here!
Magic 07:41 AM 01-23-2013
thank you so much angle wings
now I ask is there any way I could se your contract if you have it on your computer
being new here I am not sure if that is possible with out giving you my email
I am trying to understand the late fee, I was thinking of charging $50 for payment after the 5th of any month
I have 2 interview tomorrow so I got to get er done ...lol

thank again
Angelwings36 08:06 AM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by Magic:
thank you so much angle wings
now I ask is there any way I could se your contract if you have it on your computer
being new here I am not sure if that is possible with out giving you my email
I am trying to understand the late fee, I was thinking of charging $50 for payment after the 5th of any month
I have 2 interview tomorrow so I got to get er done ...lol

thank again
I will private message you a copy of my contract.
Magic 08:23 AM 01-23-2013
you are awesome Angle wings ....
Reply Up