Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Know Of Any Tricks To.....
daycare 01:50 PM 01-29-2013
I have a very smart and sweet DCK that is 2 and has been able to PT #1all day when here for about two months. DCK will NOT go #2 here or at home that is until DCP go to put a pull up or diaper on her for bed time.

THEN.........the DCK has a massive explosive #2 from holding it all day long here.

We just can't seem to get her to go #2 in the toilet.......any advice or tricks that I can try??

THanks so much
Crystal 01:56 PM 01-29-2013
I have had a couple of kids like that. They were basically "scared" of the poop!

I resolved it by letting them know that if they needed to poop they could ask me to put a diaper on them so they could go. Then, when they would go, when I changed them I would show them the poop (yuck, I know) and dump it into the toilet and flush it. They were fine asking for a diaper, and it didn't take long for them to realize they had no reason to fear pooping in the potty

You might also try putting the child in a diaper just before nap time. Do it 10-15 minutes prior to nap so you aren't changing in the middle of naptime and hopefully she will go!

Besides that, I just would not make a big deal about it, she will eventually poop in the toilet, I promise!
daycare 02:00 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I have had a couple of kids like that. They were basically "scared" of the poop!

I resolved it by letting them know that if they needed to poop they could ask me to put a diaper on them so they could go. Then, when they would go, when I changed them I would show them the poop (yuck, I know) and dump it into the toilet and flush it. They were fine asking for a diaper, and it didn't take long for them to realize they had no reason to fear pooping in the potty

You might also try putting the child in a diaper just before nap time. Do it 10-15 minutes prior to nap so you aren't changing in the middle of naptime and hopefully she will go!

Besides that, I just would not make a big deal about it, she will eventually poop in the toilet, I promise!

I love this.... I always tell parents when I see them start to get frustrated with the PT process. Hey chill out, it's not like they are going to be going to college in diapers, like everything else this phase will pass.....lol

that is great advice.... I do put the poop in the toilet from the diaper when they have accidents and we wave good-bye to it (weird I know...lol) Then I just say, lets listen to out body and put the poop in the toilet next time.

I will pass this on to the parents. thanks for your advice.....
Starburst 02:31 PM 01-29-2013
Issues in eating and potty training in young children usually have to do with the child trying to learn to control what goes into and out of their bodies. This are usually very high power struggle issues because the child knows that the parents (or the provider) has no control over their potty. So they try to test their boundries by refusing to eat cartain things or by refusing to go on the potty (they can refuse to do #1, #2, or both, but refusing to go #2 is more common).

Try making sure there are as little distractions in the bathroom as possible (no tv, books, music, or other kids to talk to so they can consintrate). If you have other children that are potty training or have been for a while try praising them when they go number two in the potty in front of that kid "You went number two in the potty that means you are growing up and wont need diapers anymore". You can also read a book about potty training to her.

Also don't refer to the pull up or training pants and diapers in front of the child; call them pull ups or training pants because when they think of it as a diaper they are more likely to not care about using the bathroom. If she still is using diapers than suggest that the parents use only pull ups if they are serious about fullly potty training her. Possibly look into if the parents are willing to start using cloth diapers or rubber underwear to get her used to not wearing a diaper- I have heard that babies that wear cloth daipers tend to potty train earlier.

I would stay away from treats and toys because after a while the child will expect something every time they use the bathroom and some even regress once you limit or stop their toys/treats- also with childhood obesity on the rise you don't want to reward behaviors with food. You can probably make a chart for the child with stickers/stamps and one type of sticker/stamp is for #1 and one type of sticker/stamp is for #2 and if she goes #2 a certain amount of times through out the week (like once a day for a week with no accidents) she maybe able to get a privilage like to pick the book you will read to the class for circle time, a special show/movie if you allow tv time, or to be your "special helper"/"junior helper" for a day. By giving them more responsiblity or privilages they understand that they are seen as an older child than they were before and associate using the potty for #1 and #2 with growing up.
itlw8 02:39 PM 01-29-2013
dcgwould not poop so parents left her in the pull up. Sunday she said I want to wear underware. so they let her and she has not pooped in her pant yet. I think she just finally wanted to be a big girl and not wear a diaper to school
daycare 02:45 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
dcgwould not poop so parents left her in the pull up. Sunday she said I want to wear underware. so they let her and she has not pooped in her pant yet. I think she just finally wanted to be a big girl and not wear a diaper to school
so has she pooped in the toilet yet???
Tags:terrible 2's
Reply Up