Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 AM
DaisyMamma's Avatar
DaisyMamma DaisyMamma is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,239
Default OT: Anyone in Oregon? No. Cal? Looking to Move, Need to Talk Weather

Looking @ Medford Area, but want to talk to anyone sort of near the area about everything from weather to way of life, cost of living, etc. Please PM me!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:13 AM
just_peachy's Avatar
just_peachy just_peachy is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 180
Default

My grandpa grew up in Medford! It's a tiny town, but it's cozy and the weather is SO much nicer than up here in Portland. More sun, less rain. I can't help you with any of the other stuff because I've only ever visited, but I wish I could transplant their weather up north a few hours!

Where are you moving from?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 AM
DaisyMamma's Avatar
DaisyMamma DaisyMamma is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_peachy View Post
My grandpa grew up in Medford! It's a tiny town, but it's cozy and the weather is SO much nicer than up here in Portland. More sun, less rain. I can't help you with any of the other stuff because I've only ever visited, but I wish I could transplant their weather up north a few hours!

Where are you moving from?
Connecticut!
Its usually 10-20 degrees in Winter with lots of snow and I really really hate that.

Tiny town, really? I thought the population looked high for us and was considering Eagle Point BUT our current town has 3000 residents

If you don't mind I would love to talk to you. Can you PM me your phone# and a couple of good times to call?

You're up early! I was just thinking - Geeze I should have posted in a few hours, all those peeps over there are still in bed!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

I pm'd you!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma View Post
Connecticut!
Its usually 10-20 degrees in Winter with lots of snow and I really really hate that.

Tiny town, really? I thought the population looked high for us and was considering Eagle Point BUT our current town has 3000 residents

If you don't mind I would love to talk to you. Can you PM me your phone# and a couple of good times to call?

You're up early! I was just thinking - Geeze I should have posted in a few hours, all those peeps over there are still in bed!
We just moved from the Medford area (actually eagle point!) 2 years ago to Salem. I loved Medford/Ashland area, the weather is much better than up north (I hate Salem)! The 6 years we were there we only had one winter of more than just a inch or so of snow. Summers get hot, we usually had at least a week of 100+ consistently.

I loved Eagle Point, it was small but had enough shopping that I wasn't running to Medford. I'd avoid White city or Central point (mainly White City) if your looking for outskirts of Medford.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

I would definetly talk to Lyss!!!

See how people have different perspectives on things-
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,837
Default

My 23 yo son has been living in Ashland for the past 10 months. He loves it there...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

I'm in the metro area of Portland. We have family in Medford and visit regularly. The weather is very nice there in the summer. Much drier than the Willamette Valley up north. The Rogue Valley gets this air inversion thing and gets socked in during the winter months. Gray and depressing in my opinion. Medford is more conservative politically and Ashland is more liberal. Ashland is just a few miles south of Medford. Our family has a cabin at Lake of the Woods. So beautiful up in the mountains. Fairly close to Crater Lake. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live and Learn View Post
I'm in the metro area of Portland. We have family in Medford and visit regularly. The weather is very nice there in the summer. Much drier than the Willamette Valley up north. The Rogue Valley gets this air inversion thing and gets socked in during the winter months. Gray and depressing in my opinion. Medford is more conservative politically and Ashland is more liberal. Ashland is just a few miles south of Medford. Our family has a cabin at Lake of the Woods. So beautiful up in the mountains. Fairly close to Crater Lake. I hope this helps.
Oh, I had totally forgotten about the air inversion thing!

I think most of Oregon is very depressing in the winter all 9 months of it-

Yes, Ashland is very liberal-I think much more then Eugene even.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Oh, I had totally forgotten about the air inversion thing!

I think most of Oregon is very depressing in the winter all 9 months of it-

Yes, Ashland is very liberal-I think much more then Eugene even.
Ashland is very liberal, its fun to visit but I hated working there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live and Learn View Post
I'm in the metro area of Portland. We have family in Medford and visit regularly. The weather is very nice there in the summer. Much drier than the Willamette Valley up north. The Rogue Valley gets this air inversion thing and gets socked in during the winter months. Gray and depressing in my opinion. Medford is more conservative politically and Ashland is more liberal. Ashland is just a few miles south of Medford. Our family has a cabin at Lake of the Woods. So beautiful up in the mountains. Fairly close to Crater Lake. I hope this helps.
Lake of the Woods is such a neat area! Very pretty! We liked Fish Lake and Four Mile Lake in that same area too!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Why Medford? If you don't mind me asking? Do you have family or friends there? Bend, Oregon is beautiful too. High desert, mountains all around, GREAT skiing, vital, athletic, hip western town. 300 days of sunshine per year. Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
DaisyMamma's Avatar
DaisyMamma DaisyMamma is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live and Learn View Post
Why Medford? If you don't mind me asking? Do you have family or friends there? Bend, Oregon is beautiful too. High desert, mountains all around, GREAT skiing, vital, athletic, hip western town. 300 days of sunshine per year. Good luck with your decision.
I will look into it!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Sprouts's Avatar
Sprouts Sprouts is offline
Licensed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 801
Question

Yes I am curious why are you looking to move out there too, its funny because my husband and I have been talking about moving westward as well and were from Rockland County NY , not too far from you lol ...if its too personal you can PM me.... or not...lol I am just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 AM
DaisyMamma's Avatar
DaisyMamma DaisyMamma is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,239
Default

I'm in CT. It's cold in the winter. Too much snow. Last couple years we've been getting 2-3 feet at a time.

Other than that, no special reason. And I've lived on the same st for 35 years. I'm bored.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Sprouts's Avatar
Sprouts Sprouts is offline
Licensed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 801
Default

Gotcha! Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM
tenderhearts's Avatar
tenderhearts tenderhearts is online now
Daycare.com Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HI
Posts: 1,267
Default

I'm also from the Portland metro area, Bend is very cold in winter and very hot in summer flat and kind of boring IMO, at least here it's in between, never too hot or too cold. I guess if you like both extremes, we just get LOTS of rain, rarely snow. I personally wouldn't want to live in Bend. I guess it depends on what you like.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderhearts View Post
I'm also from the Portland metro area, Bend is very cold in winter and very hot in summer flat and kind of boring IMO, at least here it's in between, never too hot or too cold. I guess if you like both extremes, we just get LOTS of rain, rarely snow. I personally wouldn't want to live in Bend. I guess it depends on what you like.
If you're a skier or snow sports person Bend is awesome . We like to visit the area in the early/late summer and do some camping and visiting family there, but I sure don't want to live there!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
tenderhearts's Avatar
tenderhearts tenderhearts is online now
Daycare.com Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HI
Posts: 1,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
If you're a skier or snow sports person Bend is awesome . We like to visit the area in the early/late summer and do some camping and visiting family there, but I sure don't want to live there!
That's true, we aren't skiers but Lake Billy Chinook is fun, well if you have a boat, but it's so beautiful, when we were kids my parents took us there every summer to camp, we use to hike, swim, water ski, it was soooo fun, but my husband isn't a swimmer actually doesn't know how to swim so the times we go it's just to see the beauty.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Country Kids's Avatar
Country Kids Country Kids is offline
Nature Lover
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,026
Default

We have family that lives near there and we love to visit but I couldn't live there.

Great place for sports enthusiasts but its a spendy area to live in! Sunrive is so much fun to go to also but again spendy!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oregon, oregon members

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why Don’t They Just Move?! LOL cheerfuldom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 29 01-11-2013 11:52 AM
Does Weather Affect Kids? Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 10-25-2012 01:25 PM
Weather Emergencies With The Llittle Ones SilverSabre25 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 09-16-2010 05:09 PM
Closings Due to Weather? Daycare Mommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 07-07-2010 06:35 AM
Winter Weather & Timely Pick-ups. . . . . momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 02-06-2010 05:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:21 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming