Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>puking
cara041083 06:32 AM 02-28-2014
Ok I sent a DCG home for puking yesterday ( the lil girl I posted about earlier in the week with the sick brother at home did INDEED bring it here) Well when the mom picked up she had already puked twice in the 20 min it took mom to get here. I told her to keep an eye on her because everyone here has had a tummy bug. So fast forward to this morning. She text and says DCG is all better. She threw up about 7 more times last night, but since it was yellow she is certain it was just mucas that had been draining from a cold. So she gave her mucinex and now she is 100% perfect. Im not stupid. Its the tummy bug and I reminded her about the 24 hour rule and now she is pissed at me. So now Im sitting here thinking is that really such a thing that could happen? Thoughts.
childcaremom 06:34 AM 02-28-2014
I exclude for symptoms. I don't care why they are vomiting. If they are vomiting, they need to stay home for 24 hours after the last vomit episode.
craftymissbeth 06:37 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I exclude for symptoms. I don't care why they are vomiting. If they are vomiting, they need to stay home for 24 hours after the last vomit episode.

Also, if it was yellow wouldn't that more than likely be stomach bile? I exclude for nasal drainage that's anything but clear so if her mucus is indeed yellow if he excluding for that, also.
nannyde 06:56 AM 02-28-2014
When a parent deals with a puking kid a few hours of not puking means they are on the mend and fine. Next time she will know not to tell you she puked at all once she was home.
cheerfuldom 08:02 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When a parent deals with a puking kid a few hours of not puking means they are on the mend and fine. Next time she will know not to tell you she puked at all once she was home.
Exactly. It is best to just be firm in exclusion per time periods (24 or 48 hours) and not exclude for symptoms. If you exclude for specific symptoms, the parents are just going to argue that X Y and Z is not happening at home. Send home for symptoms YOU see and exclude for time periods.

I would say "Don't forget the rule is 24 hours at home even if you are seeing a decrease in the symptoms. This is what is best for her to receive the TLC she needs and for the daycare to limit exposure to illness. See you on Monday"
mountainside13 08:08 AM 02-28-2014
I had a mom who didn't understand. I told her my rules are in place to keep everyone healthy. If another child was puking at home the night before and I let them come back then your child is exposed and sick. That did the trick!
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, vomiting
Reply Up