Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Got A Call From The State...
Core12 08:04 AM 01-19-2018
I just received a call from the state supervisor apologizing for giving us the wrong info! She said we Can have Any combo of ages...meaning I don’t Have to have 8 babies under the age of 2 yrs Or 4 under the age of 2 yrs with 6 over the age of 2 yrs. (I work with my mom btw)
So not only did I have to age out a girl over the age of 2 yrs for no reason...I also caused all of the parents unneeded stress as they were looking for daycares for when their child turned 2 yrs.
One hour later sanitation shows up...and asking for the location of immunization records (no problem, but is that even a sanitation issue?)
Then, they walk into the bathroom...the sink is full of toys in bleach water. The 19 yr old inspector asked , “what’s the deal with this!” I said I’m sanitizing toys, the door is locked. She says , “ no it was only closed”. I said, ok, well the one yr olds can’t turn the door handle.
I feel like we just had an inspection. Maybe the supervisor who gave the wrong info to us, called them for this inspection?!
About ready to say ...I’m done with all of this!
storybookending 08:27 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
I just received a call from the state supervisor apologizing for giving us the wrong info! She said we Can have Any combo of ages...meaning I don’t Have to have 8 babies under the age of 2 yrs Or 4 under the age of 2 yrs with 6 over the age of 2 yrs. (I work with my mom btw)
So not only did I have to age out a girl over the age of 2 yrs for no reason...I also caused all of the parents unneeded stress as they were looking for daycares for when their child turned 2 yrs.
One hour later sanitation shows up...and asking for the location of immunization records (no problem, but is that even a sanitation issue?)
Then, they walk into the bathroom...the sink is full of toys in bleach water. The 19 yr old inspector asked , “what’s the deal with this!” I said I’m sanitizing toys, the door is locked. She says , “ no it was only closed”. I said, ok, well the one yr olds can’t turn the door handle.
I feel like we just had an inspection. Maybe the supervisor who gave the wrong info to us, called them for this inspection?!
I am glad they realized their error and called to apologize. I read you other thread and it made no sense to me why they would be interpreting the ratios that way. I am sorry this caused stresses to you and your families. I hope that you are able to keep them all and don’t lose any because of this.
Core12 08:45 AM 01-19-2018
Sanitation inspector just went outside...said he stepped in A lot of dog poo. I have a small chihuahua. I feel like saying...”yes, I thought it would be good fertilizer since it’s too cold to bring kids outside”..but I didn’t say anything
MarinaVanessa 09:12 AM 01-19-2018
I know you probably have been through enough stress and I'd hate to add more to it however in my state a sink with water would be an automatic type A violation ... one violation for the standing water and possibly a second for having bleach solution accessible ... if not behind a locked door. "closed" wouldn't cut it, you really never know when a 1 yo can suddenly figure out how to open the door.

The dog poo would be another violation (falling under sanitation) if it were in an area that was covered on my license even if it were too cold to go outside. During daycare hours any area that is used for daycare ever has to be ready and must follow all regulations. When it rains here I have to make sure to pull all of the toys in under my porch and turn over my water table because even a small empty sand bucket that collects more than an inch of water qualifies as a violation (all bodies of water here have to have a 5' see-through fence around if with a self-locking gate).

I'm in CA though and we have some really strict rules so hopefully your state is more forgiving.
Cat Herder 09:19 AM 01-19-2018
My regs are the same as MarinaVanessa.

Dogs have to use a separate area on the property (outside of daycare fencing) and I soak toys in my master bath, behind two closed doors and a locked hall gate; not the kids bath. It was the only way to make it work. No handwashing can go on in my kitchen sink either. I have to literally walk to the kids bathroom, wash my hands, spray sink with bleach/water, wait 2 minutes, rinse it, then walk back to the kitchen sink to wash dishes.
Core12 09:28 AM 01-19-2018
They will be back in a month
MarinaVanessa 09:44 AM 01-19-2018
They will be back in a month
Well now you know AND THAT'S OKAY!! Just change whatever they didn't like and chalk it up as a learning experience!! If your dog will be loose outside you'll probably want to fence off a section for him to stay in during daycare hours so you don't have to constantly have to pic up dog poo during the day.
hwichlaz 09:50 AM 01-19-2018
I don't have to have a separate yard for my dogs, and we don't go out in the rain...but I have had reasonable analysts lately, thank goodness. I'm not scooping poop in torrential downpour in case of inspection.
Josiegirl 10:14 AM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I don't have to have a separate yard for my dogs, and we don't go out in the rain...but I have had reasonable analysts lately, thank goodness. I'm not scooping poop in torrential downpour in case of inspection.
Thankfully, I don't have to keep my dogs separate either but ya never know when that will change. But I make sure I pick up poo before dcks come in the a.m. and as soon as they do it when we're all outside. I don't let the dogs out by themselves because they wouldn't stick around; if I left them in the fenced in area, they'd just bark until we went outside anyways.
Good luck with your next visit from sanitation! Hmmm, I've never had a separate visit from anyone like that.
Cat Herder 11:48 AM 01-19-2018
The separation for pets is required here because of risk of zoonosis.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/17/2/pdfs/10-1070.pdf

www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/9/9050/pdf

I am so sorry, but I am sure you will nail it next time. Be sure to download your guidance reports and use the provided checklists from your CCR&R, they help so much.
Cat Herder 12:14 PM 01-19-2018
You have some of the same sink regs, too. These can get tricky when you are in the middle of lunch while an inspector is there and an infant suddenly has an unexpected BM mess. Supervision vs Sanitation. Best to practice.

"3. An empty sink available in kitchen to wash hands during food preparation
[19 CSR 30-61.185 (6)(A) and (B)]
♦ During food preparation, the caregiver must leave a sink completely free to
wash hands
♦ The sink shall be equipped with soap, warm running water and paper towels
♦ Before using the sink for dishwashing, the provider must clean the sink using
hot water and dish detergent
Reason
During food preparation, it is essential that the caregiver have a sink to wash the hands
without having to leave the kitchen. If the caregiver cannot wash her hands at the
time she needs to, then she could possibly contaminate the food she is preparing. If
the sink is not washed before washing dishes, then possible contamination to the
dishware could occur.
Correction Time Frame
If two sinks are available in the kitchen, complying with this requirement is a matter of
process and can be corrected at the time of inspection. If an existing facility does not
have two sinks located in the kitchen, a period of no more than 1 year is allowed for
the second sink to be installed after notification.

4. Hand sink with warm running water accessible at all times to wash hands after
using the bathroom and diapering
[19 CSR 30-61.185 (6) (A) and (B)]
♦ The caregiver may not use the sinks in the kitchen to wash their hands after
using the bathroom and diapering
♦ The hand sink must always be supplied with soap, warm running water and
paper towels
♦ Children must have a hand sink accessible to them after going to the bathroom
Reason
In order to prevent contamination of food and children’s items, a hand sink must be
accessible and convenient after the caregiver and the children have gone to the
bathroom or after diapering has occurred. "
LysesKids 06:43 PM 01-19-2018
Having done infant only care in MO.... yes, the closed door, without being locked, is a violation because you still had accessible water w/bleach in it mind you & so is the dog poo on the lawn. I have one year old babes that have figured out how to open doors ( I'm in year 18 of childcare)
ColorfulSunburst 09:38 PM 01-20-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My regs are the same as MarinaVanessa.

Dogs have to use a separate area on the property (outside of daycare fencing) and I soak toys in my master bath, behind two closed doors and a locked hall gate; not the kids bath.
same here.
I also do not sanitize toys during time kids are present.
Cat Herder 06:57 AM 01-22-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
same here.
I also do not sanitize toys during time kids are present.
That sounds rough. I could not do that. When my closing time hits I walk out with the last child and I don't look back at the daycare until breakfast prep. I need that for my health.
Mom2Two 02:32 PM 01-22-2018
If the bleach spray solution is strong enough to sanitize, it's strong enough to be poisonous. My bottle of solution has to be min 36" high or at the back of the kitchen counter.
Mom2Two 02:39 PM 01-22-2018
I'm a bit confused about your licensing and inspections. Don't you have to have health and safety training? Keeping poisons out of reach is a pretty huge deal.
Core12 01:18 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I'm a bit confused about your licensing and inspections. Don't you have to have health and safety training? Keeping poisons out of reach is a pretty huge deal.
I’m sure you’re doing Everything perfectly and you’re really cool. However, I’m only on here for experience, strength and hope. I love this website and will continue to share.
As I said earlier, the children cannot turn doorknobs. I just did it once (bc of a major accident the day before) and the sink is way too tall for them to reach.
LysesKids 08:18 PM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
In MO , you can do legally licensed exempt up to 4 kids, however I'm thinking she was getting licensed & didn't follow rules; I did registered care in MO for a year, & they are picky when they inspect. Heck, I was written up in WV my very first year for having soap on the sink; If kids needed to wash up, I had to pull soap out of a cabinet every time
Tags:inspection - first, regulations, water safety, zoonosis
Reply Up