Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Shoes, No Coat, No Service...
PolkaTots 08:23 AM 12-28-2012
Well, I might be getting into it with a parent very soon...
She strongly believes in car seat saftey...and I do understand the importance of keeping them rear facing and not adding extra padding like coats...HOWEVER, I have a DCM that brings their 1 year old without shoes or coat or even a blanket to throw over them. In my contract I do require coat and shoes (for walking agers) in weather under 45 degrees. This DCMs whole reasoning for not bringing a coat is car seat safety. I just don't understand why she can't slip a coat on or throw a blanket over him after removing him from the car seat. I am not really sure what to say to this DCM anymore, as she becomes so defensive about the car seat safety issue, but we need a coat and shoes to play outside too
itlw8 08:31 AM 12-28-2012
In case of an accident she needs a coat in the car . I can just see them on the side of the road in freezing rain with no coats on.

Tell her you need proper clothing at your house if she is not going to bring it daily. Have her bring shoes, coats and hats to keep at your house.

could she be a bit passive agressive and just not want her child to go outdoors ?
daycarediva 08:38 AM 12-28-2012
I have the same car seat safety opinions. My kids wear coats to the car, remove them, get buckled in and then put their coat on reverse (like a snuggie) to stay warm! It makes ZERO sense that she can't carry a coat with her...

I'm at a loss with the shoes, my kids wear shoes in the car. Nothing to do with safety there.

I would just tell her you are happy to place a coat and shoes in his/her cubby to leave with you so it's not an issue in the car.
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 12-28-2012
Why not just say "DCM, this has nothing to do with the car seat. MY rules state ALL children must have shoes and a coat for use while at daycare. Please bring on tomorrow or your child will not be allowed to stay" ?

She seems to be stuck on the car seat issue when that has nothing to do with your rules.
MarinaVanessa 09:03 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not just say "DCM, this has nothing to do with the car seat. MY rules state ALL children must have shoes and a coat for use while at daycare. Please bring on tomorrow or your child will not be allowed to stay" ?

She seems to be stuck on the car seat issue when that has nothing to do with your rules.
This was going to be my response but BC beat me to it. If she doesn't want to tote everything along each day require her to leave them in your DC. I require 1 complete change of clothing for both warm and cold weather be left at my DC and a complete set includes a coat, shirt, pants, socks, shoes and a hat. If they forget or don't provide one I also have a policy that says that I will buy one for them and they need to reimburse me. I've only had to pull this card one time when I was shopping at Wal-mart. I texted the DCM a pic of an entire outfit (I grabbed the cheapest of everything that I could find) and a subtotal amount. She immediately texted back and promised to supply everything the next day ... and she did .
PolkaTots 09:08 AM 12-28-2012
Thank you for the responses...I am fine with her views on the car seat safety...I just can't understand why she can't bring a coat or shoes to keep in the car to slip on him or to leave here??? I think you are right about her being passive agressive and just wanting to make sure I do not take him in the car or outside, there really is no other explanation with me requiring these items via contract and also put in the Nov, Dec, and Jan newsletters??? Between my vacation and his parents vacation, he hasn't been here in two weeks. We had our first snow during that time and I thought for sure he would come today with a coat and shoes...or at least a blanket...but nope!
cheerfuldom 10:37 AM 12-28-2012
If you really need to keep him, I would consider buying a coat and shoes for him to use at daycare and do not send items home ever. I have gone to that with snow clothes, I provide all items for my four daycare kids. I purchase second hand and dont care about color/brand or even condition, as long as its usable.
JenNJ 10:55 AM 12-28-2012
I would not allow drop off unless she had proper, weather appropriate clothing for him. For me, it is a safety issue for him NOT to have it.

I need to run emergency evacuations drills, etc. I keep all those things (coats, shoes) by the door and grab them on the way out. What if an actual emergency happens and I have to run the kids outside? A child without shoes is a MAJOR liability for my business. I cannot control what is on the street or sidewalk outside my house. A kid without shoes can get injured on my watch without shoes. In my area, it is possible for a child to get frostnip/frostbite quickly during the winter, so a child needs proper winter gear to combat the cold.

Bottom line -- I am the boss here, not mom. If I say Johnny needs a coat and shoes, he needs a coat and shoes. Period. It is not a negotiation. Johnny either has what he needs or he cannot set foot in my house. I am not going to lose everything I have built over a silly thing like shoes or a jacket.
KEG123 03:12 PM 12-28-2012
Wear coats to the car, take off, strap in, put blanket over top of child as a blanket. Mom needs to go to goodwill (or wherever) and get a cheap coat to keep at your house.
Meyou 01:39 AM 12-29-2012
All my parents are big car seat safety people. They either leave winter gear here all the time and the child travels in a fleece jacket (3 families) or they bring the winter clothes daily and just remove them in the car (2 families).

I also don't see how car seat safety and having the proper clothes for daycare are connected. Your rules on proper clothing have nothing to do with the car.
pandamom 03:59 AM 12-29-2012
OMG- poor kid My two toddlers don't wear coats in their carseats. They're 2 years old and I put their jackets on before we walk out of the house. They know once we get to their van door, jackets come off, they get strapped in their seats and their coat is on top of them like a blanket. Once we park, the coats go back on before we start walking.

I grew up in Nebraska and the child NEEDS a jacket on the way to the car- it's too cold! I can't believe she doesn't send her child without shoes

ITA with the other people- she can't drop child off without proper footwear and clothing
providerandmomof4 09:40 AM 12-29-2012
I've had this issue multiple times with babies parents that were just beginning to walk and not sending shoes. I sent a letter that we would be playing outside, even in the cold weather so shoes, hats, gloves, and coats were required. The next day..baby arrives with shoes in diaper bag that are two sizes to big, and the child can't even walk in them...Gee, thanks. I went to wal mart and bought some cheap ones that fit and dcp didn't get them. This seems ridicilous, I know...but that's what I did. Would I do it again....I don't know, I'm a little more fed up with dcp's these days
Reply Up