Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Parents and Kids Rant!
MomBoss 06:18 AM 01-14-2018
Does anybody have a policy for parents or siblings being sick? Im super mad right now I need to vent.

Monday, dcb came to daycare. Tuesday he stayed home because he was throwing up monday night.
Wednesday he returns.
Thursday he is absent because he started throwing up again wednesday night.
Oh great, he just spread his germs to everyone on wednesday.
Friday he returns.
Mom picked up friday and said she is ill and their older daughter is ill and they have been throwing up since yesterday.
Now Im thinking for the stomach bug there needs to be a 48hr rule. Im pissed because a month ago everyone had the flu and this same child brought it back a month later, now im getting reports from other parents saying their child is throwing up this weekend!
Also, when the child was at daycare, I found out his whole family was sick from the stomach flu, so the parents were walking into my house sick and the child probably had germs on them from their parents and sibling.
Idk if im being paranoid or anal, but I want to have a policy thats states if a parent or sibling is sick, please do not come into my home or bring your child to daycare because of spreading germs. Im tired of this family getting everyone sick. Ever since they started 3 months ago, Ive has so many illnesses. I am also getting Ill and do not want to close because I cant afford it. I was thinking of giving myself paid sick days on account that one of the kids obviously got me sick so why should I have to miss work and refund the parents when they didnt care enough to keep their kids home when they were sick and make sure they were well before bringing them back. THEIR kids got me sick so THEY should have to pay me.
LysesKids 07:02 AM 01-14-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Does anybody have a policy for parents or siblings being sick? Im super mad right now I need to vent.

Monday, dcb came to daycare. Tuesday he stayed home because he was throwing up monday night.
Wednesday he returns.
Friday he returns.
Mom picked up friday and said she is ill and their older daughter is ill and they have been throwing up since yesterday.
Now Im thinking for the stomach bug there needs to be a 48hr rule. Im pissed because a month ago everyone had the flu and this same child brought it back a month later, now im getting reports from other parents saying their child is throwing up this weekend!
Also, when the child was at daycare, I found out his whole family was sick from the stomach flu, so the parents were walking into my house sick and the child probably had germs on them from their parents and sibling.
Idk if im being paranoid or anal, but I want to have a policy thats states if a parent or sibling is sick, please do not come into my home or bring your child to daycare because of spreading germs. Im tired of this family getting everyone sick. Ever since they started 3 months ago, Ive has so many illnesses. I am also getting Ill and do not want to close because I cant afford it. I was thinking of giving myself paid sick days on account that one of the kids obviously got me sick so why should I have to miss work and refund the parents when they didnt care enough to keep their kids home when they were sick and make sure they were well before bringing them back. THEIR kids got me sick so THEY should have to pay me.
There is a bad stomach virus going around this year & I already have a paper posted, stating due to last years issues with the stomach bug, all children will be excluded a minimum of 48 hours after the first vomiting. Everyone here was down 72 hrs last year except me & one child; we are talking parents & babes. Not taking chances this year...

I do feel bad for my one child that just aged out. His dad's boss decided to show up @ work with the actual FLU because she didn't want to lose pay; spread it to all employees & now little mans family is totally down; 3 kids & both parents. No consideration by some people
Poptarts22 07:43 AM 01-14-2018
While I agree there has to be some sort of rule on illness and a 24 hour fever free policy, trying to keep sickness out of your daycare is a battle you aren’t going to win. It IS going to happen and all the planning and policies isn’t going to stop it. You are going to get sick. There are days your going to have to work when you fill like crap-it’s the pitfalls of this job. We can police the kids to some extent, but there are always going to be parents who lie about or cover up illness to keep from being inconvenienced
Homebody 08:11 AM 01-14-2018
Unfortunately with a lot of illnesses you can be contagious a day or two before you even start to show any symptoms. I also read that with a stomach virus you can be contagious up to two weeks after you are no longer showing any symptoms depending on which virus you have. This is why its so hard to keep it from spreading.
Homebody 08:17 AM 01-14-2018
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...u/faq-20057899
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 01-14-2018
Some people are carriers and never get sick themselves.

The only thing you can truly control is your own (and family’s) immune health.

Some families are sick a lot because they don’t take care to build their immune health but just because they are visibly sick doesn’t mean they are the ones that actually got others sick.

Another child with no symptoms (strong immune health) could have passed the illness around.
Kid/family with poor immune health pick it up and get sick easier than others.

....thus creating a cycle.

It’s hard to manage but not something you can really eliminate so your best defense for fighting this is build, care for and protect YOUR (and your family’s) immune health.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:11 AM 01-14-2018

Wednesday he returns.
Friday he returns.
I noticed you let him return the next day after being absent but it would be quite convenient if his puking magically stopped at the 24 hr mark. Did he throw up at all on tues/thurs while at home? If so, he shouldn't have been able to return. I think it's pretty obvious he shouldn't have and I would question moms story, bc according to what you posted, he puked Monday night and wed night, but must have been back to normal on tues/thurs in order to return. I know kids can be odd pukers, but that is very convenient. I can only go by my own experience, but when my kids have the stomach flu, it is 2-3 days of vomiting, diarhea, and very little appetite. They dont look good at all, and even if it's a 24 hr bug, they don't get their full energy or appetite back for another day or so. Anyway, either he wasn't all that sick or they lied about just how much he has been throwing up. My guess is he started getting sick over the weekend.

The one thing that bothers me when parents bring sick kids is that I just feel so bad for the kid. When you don't feel good, you don't want to be around a bunch of noise and activity.
you just want cuddles and movies and to be with mom or dad. I know it stinks to miss work, but your child deserves the same, if not better, care you would provide yourself if you were sick. They deserve to be in the comfort of their own home. Jmo. Sorry for the rant
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I noticed you let him return the next day after being absent but it would be quite convenient if his puking magically stopped at the 24 hr mark. Did he throw up at all on tues/thurs while at home? If so, he shouldn't have been able to return. I think it's pretty obvious he shouldn't have and I would question moms story, bc according to what you posted, he puked Monday night and wed night, but must have been back to normal on tues/thurs in order to return. I know kids can be odd pukers, but that is very convenient. I can only go by my own experience, but when my kids have the stomach flu, it is 2-3 days of vomiting, diarhea, and very little appetite. They dont look good at all, and even if it's a 24 hr bug, they don't get their full energy or appetite back for another day or so. Anyway, either he wasn't all that sick or they lied about just how much he has been throwing up. My guess is he started getting sick over the weekend.

The one thing that bothers me when parents bring sick kids is that I just feel so bad for the kid. When you don't feel good, you don't want to be around a bunch of noise and activity.
you just want cuddles and movies and to be with mom or dad. I know it stinks to miss work, but your child deserves the same, if not better, care you would provide yourself if you were sick. They deserve to be in the comfort of their own home. Jmo. Sorry for the rant
I completely agree with this. People are so afraid of missing a day of work that they either go into work sick as dogs or bring sick children to dc trying to pass them off as well enough. Was the dck acting fine the days he did come? I've had dcks do that too; they'll be sick day 1, act fine day 2, so dck comes to dc day 3, and gets sick all over again. It's so hard to keep everything 100%.
I don't have any policy about siblings or parents who are sick. I personally don't think it's feasible although it would be ideal.
The best we can do is our sanitizing practices and keeping our own immunity systems built up. We cannot control what dcfs feed their kids or their sleep schedules. We can only do what we do, along with adhering to our sickness policies the best that we can.
It truly $ucks when your own children end up getting sick due to this situation though. When my own kids were little it was maddening, disheartening, and frustrating to watch my little ones miss out on school functions, throw up til they were too weak to do anything, get scabies or chicken pox, and even end up hospitalized due to sick dcks. But OTOH, they caught stuff from the general public and going to school too. It's a no-win situation that I suppose builds up immunity in their systems.
MomBoss 04:57 AM 01-15-2018
I just dont understand why people have kids when they dont want to take care of them/put work first. When I had my son I worked a minimum wage job and loved getting phone calls from his daycare telling me i need to come get him. Not that i wanted him to be sick, but I wanted to be with him, not at work! I would tell my boss, sorry my kid is sick its out of my control. And leave.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 01-15-2018
I just dont understand why people have kids when they dont want to take care of them/put work first. When I had my son I worked a minimum wage job and loved getting phone calls from his daycare telling me i need to come get him. Not that i wanted him to be sick, but I wanted to be with him, not at work! I would tell my boss, sorry my kid is sick its out of my control. And leave.
Kind of sounds like maybe there is an underlying issue you have with this family?

I don't think fear of missing work means they don't put their kids first. Maybe they ARE putting their child first and have to work to provide for him. Parenting is different for everyone and I truly believe a majority of parents do think they are putting their children first.

We just view it differently from our end sometimes.

I am sorry the whole illness thing is happening right now.... it's been tough on alot of people this winter so far.

Hoping your family is back to good health soon!
MomBoss 07:09 AM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Kind of sounds like maybe there is an underlying issue you have with this family?

I don't think fear of missing work means they don't put their kids first. Maybe they ARE putting their child first and have to work to provide for him. Parenting is different for everyone and I truly believe a majority of parents do think they are putting their children first.

We just view it differently from our end sometimes.

I am sorry the whole illness thing is happening right now.... it's been tough on alot of people this winter so far.

Hoping your family is back to good health soon!
Not saying this family is neglectful, but it does appear that they dont care about dck like they do their older child. Just little things ive noticed.
One thing is that they take time off work for their oldest childs sporting events, but sick child they dont like to take off work.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 01-15-2018
Not saying this family is neglectful, but it does appear that they dont care about dck like they do their older child. Just little things ive noticed.
One thing is that they take time off work for their oldest childs sporting events, but sick child they dont like to take off work.
I have a couple parents that seem that way too... always makes me sad for the littlest ones in the family but I just try to remind myself that they (the parents) are the ones that are missing out on their child's life....... I can't change it but I can definitely assign judgement to the one's that are doing it...kwim? Parents are weird sometimes.

Are both kids in your care or just the youngest?
MomBoss 07:14 AM 01-15-2018
I have a couple parents that seem that way too... always makes me sad for the littlest ones in the family but I just try to remind myself that they (the parents) are the ones that are missing out on their child's life....... I can't change it but I can definitely assign judgement to the one's that are doing it...kwim? Parents are weird sometimes.

Are both kids in your care or just the youngest?
Just the youngest. I have 2 families that behave this way. Its quite sad.
HappyEverAfter 11:11 AM 01-15-2018
It’s impossible to keep illness totally away. The best you can do is clean well and regularly, boost your immune system as much as possible, and stick to your exclusion policies like crazy.

I just had a dcm (who is off work for mlk day anyway) drop her sick child off this morning. He was snotty and congested but she swore it was just a cold that he was working on getting over. Well, a few hours later I picked him up and heat was practically radiating off him so I took his temp two ways and it was over 100 both ways so I called for pick up. Dcm, who also looked sick btw, swore he was fine to stay and that it was likely his cold plus teething. Nope! Over 100 and you’ve gotta go home, that’s the rules. No exceptions. She wasn’t happy but I don’t care.
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 01-15-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
It’s impossible to keep illness totally away. The best you can do is clean well and regularly, boost your immune system as much as possible, and stick to your exclusion policies like crazy.

I just had a dcm (who is off work for mlk day anyway) drop her sick child off this morning. He was snotty and congested but she swore it was just a cold that he was working on getting over. Well, a few hours later I picked him up and heat was practically radiating off him so I took his temp two ways and it was over 100 both ways so I called for pick up. Dcm, who also looked sick btw, swore he was fine to stay and that it was likely his cold plus teething. Nope! Over 100 and you’ve gotta go home, that’s the rules. No exceptions. She wasn’t happy but I don’t care.
If you had the 24/48 hour rule, that ^^^ would have been bad situation for that DCM.

Sending a child home from care means they stay home until they have been symptom free for a full 48 hours/2 days.

If parents choose to keep their sick child home on their own decision making skills the child is only excluded until 24 hours/1 day symptom free.

That rule puts the onus back onto the parent and prevents most dope and drops.
HappyEverAfter 05:45 PM 01-15-2018
If you had the 24/48 hour rule, that ^^^ would have been bad situation for that DCM.

Sending a child home from care means they stay home until they have been symptom free for a full 48 hours/2 days.

If parents choose to keep their sick child home on their own decision making skills the child is only excluded until 24 hours/1 day symptom free.

That rule puts the onus back onto the parent and prevents most dope and drops.
I do have a 24 hr rule and already told her he was out until Wednesday but perhaps I do need a 24/48 rule instead. Pretty confident he was a dope and drop today.
amberrose3dg 03:44 AM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:

And she was off work? Oh my don't you love parents like that. Spread illness around when you do not even have to work. Fever = contagious
Reply Up