Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Day
trytobearunner34 03:48 PM 01-16-2018
Do you charge families if children do not attend care due to snow days that result in closure from schools or places of business?
Annalee 05:03 PM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by trytobearunner34:
Do you charge families if children do not attend care due to snow days that result in closure from schools or places of business?
Yes; I charge fees 52 weeks a year regardless of closures.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 05:37 PM 01-16-2018
If I'm open, yes I charge. If I decide to close no.
LysesKids 05:44 PM 01-16-2018
Originally Posted by trytobearunner34:
If I am open, you betcha; today I closed by 3pm for safety reasons - even the courts & county offices were closed here... I didn't want my littles getting stuck in crappy rush hour, knowing where parents were coming from, much less driving home to
HappyEverAfter 07:25 PM 01-16-2018
Yes, I do charge the regular rate. We actually just had snow and ice here and schools have been closed since last Friday. I have been technically open but had no kids on Friday and none today. On Monday I only had 2, one of which I sent home early with a fever. Schools are still closed tomorrow and I’ve aleady had two call and say they won’t be here. I charge because I can’t control the weather and still made myself available should anyone want to come.
e.j. 08:42 PM 01-16-2018
I do charge if I'm open. I don't charge if I close the day care. Since I live here and don't have a commute to worry about, I am usually open when it snows.
amberrose3dg 03:34 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I do charge if I'm open. I don't charge if I close the day care. Since I live here and don't have a commute to worry about, I am usually open when it snows.
I am open today as the roads aren't terrible but school is closed. I will still have about half my kids today even though school is closed.
lovemydaycare0912 03:38 AM 01-17-2018
I close when my schools close. Paid. Its in handbook/contract. I tell all families at interview and again at enrollment meeting. All don't complain at least not to me, since they knew beforehand.

Today there isnt much snow right now but i still followed to be consistent. Plus Im preggo and could use the extra sleep.
Pestle 06:51 AM 01-17-2018
I stay open. The nice thing? I get quiet, paid days with fewer kids, and more one-on-one time with my kid.

The crummy thing? The kids wanna go play in the snow and I'd rather lie down and die.

The roads down in the Valley here don't get too dangerous and usually don't stay iced up. There are three mountains and a ridge in town that get deadly when those winding roads ice over, which is why the schools close at the drop of a flake. I'm far enough away from the mountains that most folks up there find day care providers closer to where they live.
LysesKids 06:57 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I stay open. The nice thing? I get quiet, paid days with fewer kids, and more one-on-one time with my kid.

The crummy thing? The kids wanna go play in the snow and I'd rather lie down and die.

The roads down in the Valley here don't get too dangerous and usually don't stay iced up. There are three mountains and a ridge in town that get deadly when those winding roads ice over, which is why the schools close at the drop of a flake. I'm far enough away from the mountains that most folks up there find day care providers closer to where they live.
It's to cold to take babies out - oh wait, all my parents called off ; unplanned paid day off today lol
storybookending 07:23 AM 01-17-2018
I live in WI so no. Snow days are few and far between here. It is more likely that schools close due to dangerously cold temperatures than for snow. They closed early one day last week. I didn’t close daycare bc as I see it I don’t transport so I really don’t care. The way I saw it the roads were safer at 5PM after the plows had a chance to go through than they would have been when they let the schools out
trytobearunner34 08:39 AM 01-17-2018
Thanks for all the feedback. I have sick days and personal/vacation days spelled out in my contract. Off to add inclement weather information!
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I live in WI so no. Snow days are few and far between here. It is more likely that schools close due to dangerously cold temperatures than for snow. They closed early one day last week. I didn’t close daycare bc as I see it I don’t transport so I really don’t care. The way I saw it the roads were safer at 5PM after the plows had a chance to go through than they would have been when they let the schools out
What's a snow day?

Here that is pretty much late October to early May

I can't remember the last time our school districts closed due to snow or cold......

I totally understand other areas though and if people live in an area that winter weather is not common and schools close, I would absolutely close too.

Parents will do everything in their power to get their child to daycare but won't make even a 10th of the same effort to pick them up and no way in h3ll I wold be okay with keeping kids until the roads cleared. nope.
Country Kids 09:29 AM 01-17-2018
We don't have really any snow days here but schools around our county may as they will have three feet of snow-our town nothing.

Two years ago we had a bad storm for the state. My son was stuck at the airport trying to get back to base along with several other Marines. The weekend before leaving we thought about going to a high lake area for a drive, have lunch, play in the snow. Good thing we didn't as this storm came in. The kids that live at this high lake resort travel about an hour into a small town for school. Yep-no school for a month because of this storm and so many trees feel across the road and kept falling that it took them a month to clear the road which is a main road to get over the mountain. Then this summer-yep closed for several weeks due to fires.
daycarediva 09:50 AM 01-17-2018
I only close in a state of emergency where there is a travel ban, and it's paid.

Other situations that would warrant closure for me- power outages in winter (no way to keep the kids warm) and I close, paid if the power is expected to remain out for 2 or more hours, temperature dependent. I cannot legally operate without power, per the state.

My only thoughts are keeping egresses cleared, keeping kids warm. If I can do both- I'm open.

Dh is home if the weather is that bad- so that's easy.
amberrose3dg 10:33 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What's a snow day?

Here that is pretty much late October to early May

I can't remember the last time our school districts closed due to snow or cold......

I totally understand other areas though and if people live in an area that winter weather is not common and schools close, I would absolutely close too.

Parents will do everything in their power to get their child to daycare but won't make even a 10th of the same effort to pick them up and no way in h3ll I wold be okay with keeping kids until the roads cleared. nope.
Exactly. I have a parent that gets mad when its bad and she cant bring her kid and it is usually on days she will go home and sleep or relax, not working. Then be ticked off if I gave her a late notice cause it was difficult coming back for him.

"I'm sorry I'm late but the roads were awful". They were the same when you dropped off!!!
LysesKids 11:08 AM 01-17-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Exactly. I have a parent that gets mad when its bad and she cant bring her kid and it is usually on days she will go home and sleep or relax, not working. Then be ticked off if I gave her a late notice cause it was difficult coming back for him.

"I'm sorry I'm late but the roads were awful". They were the same when you dropped off!!!
Wow, I'm glad the 4 families I have worry more about their babes; every one called off today or is working from home because of roads and windchill.They didn't blink when I closed 3 hrs early yesterday either... in fact 2 picked up even earlier than asked
Pestle 11:09 AM 01-17-2018
Welp. . . it was 11 degrees this morning. I still took them outside, because the dusting of snow was melting as the sun crossed the yard and I wanted them to have this rare experience. There was enough snow on some of the surfaces for us to pack a few snowballs, and the kids were delighted.

Until they noticed that their fingers hurt like blazes! We were outside for less than fifteen minutes, and by the time we got back in, ALL the children were SOBBING while I peeled their mittens off their frostnipped hands and told them, "We gots the chilblains! Let's make some hot herbal tea." Never have I ever had a day where the kids were more miserable in the cold than I was, and I kinda liked being the tough one today.
Unregistered 07:16 PM 01-19-2018
North Carolina Corporate childcare company. We paid all week although the facility was closed most of the week. No problem but I wanted to know if the teachers are paid. Any idea?
storybookending 08:16 PM 01-19-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
North Carolina Corporate childcare company. We paid all week although the facility was closed most of the week. No problem but I wanted to know if the teachers are paid. Any idea?
It would depend on the companies policy but I am guessing that most center type places do not pay their employees for time not worked due to weather as that seems to be how centers (at least the ones around here) value their employees. It’s possible the full time employees still got paid but I doubt any hourly employees did but it would be up to the specific company. Your best bet would be just to casually ask one of the teachers. The larger the center the less likely, just my experience.
Tags:snow day, winter weather
Reply Up