Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assistant Termination Wording
DCMom 02:33 PM 07-25-2010
I have come to the conclusion that my current assistant is just not going to rise to the level I need her to rise to. When I hired her a little over a year ago I thought felt/hoped she would grow into the job, but that just hasn't happened.

Some days she needs more direction than the kids.

Long story short, I am considering expanding and opening a second location and need to start grooming employees for the future and this person is just not going to work out.

I need some help! She is my first and only employee (besides my daughter); I had a conversation with her a couple of weeks ago outlining my expectations and what I felt needed to change; I also asked for her input and her expectations. A review of sorts, but I wanted her to have some input so it was more of a conversation. Nothing has really changed; I documented all last week and had another conversation on Friday which didn't go well. I have a daycare home, not a center.

I know I need to let her go, but how would you do it? Immediate termination? Two weeks notice? Severance pay? I have never done this before, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:02 PM 07-25-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I have come to the conclusion that my current assistant is just not going to rise to the level I need her to rise to. When I hired her a little over a year ago I thought felt/hoped she would grow into the job, but that just hasn't happened.

Long story short, I am considering expanding and opening a second location and need to start grooming employees for the future and this person is just not going to work out.

I need some help! She is my first and only employee (besides my daughter); I had a conversation with her a couple of weeks ago outlining my expectations and what I felt needed to change; I also asked for her input and her expectations. A review of sorts, but I wanted her to have some input so it was more of a conversation. Nothing has really changed; I documented all last week and had another conversation on Friday which didn't go well. I have a daycare home, not a center.

I know I need to let her go, but how would you do it? Immediate termination? Two weeks notice? Severance pay? I have never done this before, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
First of all, I am an assistant myself, just so you know. Is this the same assistant you mentioned in June? I had gotten the impression that you were pleased with her through one of your posts (someone had asked how to be sure their assisant wouldn't quit on them, making her go over ratio if they did). Have you been unhappy with her performance ever since you hired her? That's a long time to put up with someone not doing their job properly! You must have a lot of tolerance or patience or something! There was a sub type assistant that I worked with (and still have to from time to time), and I really feel she doesn't do her job very well. When she's there it puts so much more of a load on me than if I had the kids by myself. I finally said something to the owner about it, but she didn't see it or do anything about it (this lady was usually asked to come in when the owner couldn't be there, meaning the owner didn't see her in "non-action" as much as I did).
Have you mentioned to her that you will need to replace her if you don't see any improvement? If she's been working for you for over a year and getting by with it, she may not think it's as serious as it is. Or that you are okay with it. Or just not care, but think she can do what she wants since she hasn't been let go yet.
Does she always come in as expected, and work the hrs you ask her to? Does she ask you what you want done? In other words, is she TRYING to do a good job and just not capable of it, or does she just not WANT to change? I would give a two week notice to her but only after telling her that if her performance (make sure she knows EXACTLY what you're not happy with) doesn't improve within a specific amount of time, then you'll have to replace her. And doument what you say and have her sign it. You probably have the right to do it immediately since you've already talked to her, but imo she should be told what the consequences are first. At least if she signs a paper she can't come back and say you never told her or warned her.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:12 PM 07-25-2010

Is this the same assistant you mentioned in June? I had gotten the impression that you were pleased with her through one of your posts (someone had asked how to be sure their assisant wouldn't quit on them, making her go over ratio if they did). Have you been unhappy with her performance ever since you hired her? That's a long time to put up with someone not doing their job properly! You must have a lot of tolerance or patience or something! There was a sub type assistant that I worked with (and still have to from time to time), and I really feel she doesn't do her job very well. When she's there it puts so much more of a load on me than if I had the kids by myself. I finally said something to the owner about it, but she didn't see it or do anything about it (this lady was usually asked to come in when the owner couldn't be there, meaning the owner didn't see her in "non-action" as much as I did).
Have you mentioned to her that you will need to replace her if you don't see any improvement? If she's been working for you for over a year and getting by with it, she may not think it's as serious as it is. Or that you are okay with it. Or just not care, but think she can do what she wants since she hasn't been let go yet.
Does she always come in as expected, and work the hrs you ask her to? Does she ask you what you want done? In other words, is she TRYING to do a good job and just not capable of it, or does she just not WANT to change? I would give a two week notice to her but only after telling her that if her performance (make sure she knows EXACTLY what you're not happy with) doesn't improve within a specific amount of time, then you'll have to replace her. You have the right to do it immediately since you've already talked to her, but imo she should be told what the consequences are first. Unless you have already mentioned it in your contact or sometime when you were talking to her...
DCMom 04:42 PM 07-25-2010
Yes, same person. As far as being a second adult, with me as the lead she is fine. June was her one year anniversary and about the time that the plans for expansion were being talked about. At her review, I asked her if she would be interested in more responsibility since I had the thought in the back of my head of expanding.

Without going into a long detailed account; I basically want a person who can run the place when I am not here with no worries.

We talked about her taking more initiative over the summer while I stepped back; she agreed. June was rocky; she was on vacation the last week of June and the person who subbed for her was a dream. Just the type of person that I am looking for. When she got back I talked to her again to fine tune more of what I was looking for and she agreed (no, I did not compare her to the sub, she thought that my daughter was subbing and I just let her think that) Then I was went on vacation (daycare was closed). Things have been going down hill since; her job performance since our vacations is LESS than what it was before we talked in June.

The conversation on Friday got very strained and she said that she wants to go back to how it was before. Which is basically she watches the kids, will do a specific activity if I ask her directly (including changing diapers). She is mid-30's with two kids and I thought she would like more responsibility (and the pay raises that go with it) but she doesn't seem to be able to do/interested in the job.

I can't afford to hire another person to train to be lead AND keep her; I want someone who can step up in a year or two and be the lead. I feel bad, but she has seemed to have lost all motivation. I haven't threatened her job, but I don't think she would be too upset if she got fired. She was perfectly happy being a 'helper' where I want an 'assistant'.

I just need to let her go and I need to do it gently. She's a nice person, but my needs have changed and she doesn't seem to be up to the challenge.
nannyde 06:06 PM 07-25-2010
i let my SA go who had worked for me for 7.5 years. She worked for me for five years and then went to Nanny. She came back after her baby was born and was here for 2.5 years.

It was VERY hard to do but I had to do it. Her quality of work was excellent but her kid at 2.5 was VERY unhappy in my house and it just got to be where I was paying her a lot of her hours to keep her kid from fussing. It came down to that she pretty much had to have wall to wall activities that required a lot of adult set up, supervision, and clean up in order for her not to fuss. She refused to entertain herself and just play toys like the other kids do every day. I had no choice but to let her go.

It was very hard to do but I can tell you that it was one of the best business decisions I have ever made. I was SO unhappy having a fussy kid here. The day her daughter was gone was the day my peace was restored. It made a huge difference in everyones happiness. The other kids grew weary of the constant fussing and the tension in the house with all the disciplining going on (that didn't work by the way).

Because I had a long history with the SA, I felt it was only fair to give her a huge notice and a paid vacation. I told her in the begining of October that when we went on Xmas break mid December that she would be done. I gave her two weeks of paid vacation for the final two weeks in December so she had three months total time to find a new job.

It was a LONG two and a half months having to listen to her kid crying every day but I wanted to make sure that she had enough time to find child care and to find as close as possible paying job.

I wouldn't have given this kind of notice for an employee who had only been with me for a year. It SUCKED having to hold off hiring someone else until the time was up but I sucked it up and dealt.

Just let her know that you are making some changes in your business and it's time to find an employee that has a higher education or experience level. Even though my SA was totally worth the money, if I was going to replace her I wanted someone with LESS experience and who was cheaper. She had been with me long enough that her pay was WAY more than what a SA in this area makes so for me it was finding someone who had no experience and who was cheap. For you.. you may need the opposite if you are planning on putting that person in charge.

My current SA has been with me for 1.5 years and it was rough going in the begining. She had never really WORKED before so this was a HUGE difference than her other jobs. We had a lot of rough times but I really started liking her and she started to get attached to us. That really helped motivate her to get to working when she was here. She lost a substantial amount of weight and got a lot healthier so she got better and better at doing the physical part of her job.

Now I wouldn't dream of letting her go but I wouldn't have said that a year ago. Sometimes people CAN change and become really good employees. Sometimes you have to put a lot of work into them and get them to join in your quest to get the best performance. I give a dollar an hour increase with every year of service so she is making more money and is more invested. She also has a future here once she reaches the two year mark as we can apply for an extended licence and take one or two more kids. It's something to work toward which helps in performance.

I really thought my current SA wouldn't make it. I even had "the talk" with her about not being able to keep her if she didn't get to moving and get more work done. I was really nice about it but firm. I told her I didn't want her to go because I am so fond of her BUT she must get to working the whole time she is here or it just won't work. She knew I was serious and things changed. I woudn't have let her go without a good notice so we weren't having any tense times but she knew it was time to fish or cut bait. The talk actually WORKED and it's been GREAT since. She grew up a little and realized she has a great gig here.

I can't tell from your posts what problems you are having but I'm guessing she just isn't working the whole time she is there. It's not that easy to find someone to work these days. It's slim pickings to find someone who will just come in and give you a full days work for the pay.

Is she just sitting watching the kids play? It's a common problem with hiring out this job. I don't hire someone to play with the kids and I sure don't want someone who just sits and watch them play. I want the kids to entertain themselves and while she is supervising them... get work done. There's always something to do here so I want her to stay busy. She was not so great with that in the begining AND she was VERY slow but she has worked her way out of those ways and it's made a huge difference.

If you don't see any chance of improvement then you don't have a choice. Just be kind to her and give her time to find an easier job. Try to make the time while she is looking as nice as possible and maybe give her a little paid vacation time at the end.

Nan
MarinaVanessa 08:18 PM 07-25-2010
I would write up a letter of termination that just says that is very clear as to the reasons that you are terminationg her. A lot of people opt for the vague letter but this can come back and bite you in the butt. A termination letter that tells the exact reasons why you don't want her working for you is best for you and sometimes for the assistant (if they are open to creative criticism).

Dear [assistant's name]

You have been working for me here at [daycare name] for [number of years & months]. In that period of time I had hoped to see growth in your [participation/leadership skills etc]. As stated at our meeting on [date] we discussed my expectations and received feedback from you. Some of the things that were discussed were [what was discussed in brief]. Since the day of that meeting I have seen no changes or improvement on your part.

I have considered the circumstances and have come to the decision to terminate your employment here at [daycare's name] as of [date].

The reason for termination of your employment is as follows:

Reason 1:
Reason 2: etc

Sincerely
[your name]

[Daycare name]
[title]

I would very clearly list all of the requirements that you discussed with her as well as what her input was and what she agreed to do. Also make sure that her termination effective date is on the letter. You don't have to give her a two-week's notice if you don't have to since she is clearly not doing what was agreed upon. I would give a 2-week notice to someone that was a good worker but I needed to terminate for other reasons such as finances, reducing costs etc. but even then it's not necessary, it's more of a consideration. If you mde notes of the meeting you had with her and have been keeping work logs of observations etc you can attatch these to the letter. Print two out and have her sign and date the letter as confirmation that she received it and any attachments.
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:13 PM 07-26-2010
Yes, same person. As far as being a second adult, with me as the lead she is fine. June was her one year anniversary and about the time that the plans for expansion were being talked about. At her review, I asked her if she would be interested in more responsibility since I had the thought in the back of my head of expanding.

Without going into a long detailed account; I basically want a person who can run the place when I am not here with no worries.

We talked about her taking more initiative over the summer while I stepped back; she agreed. June was rocky; she was on vacation the last week of June and the person who subbed for her was a dream. Just the type of person that I am looking for. When she got back I talked to her again to fine tune more of what I was looking for and she agreed (no, I did not compare her to the sub, she thought that my daughter was subbing and I just let her think that) Then I was went on vacation (daycare was closed). Things have been going down hill since; her job performance since our vacations is LESS than what it was before we talked in June.

The conversation on Friday got very strained and she said that she wants to go back to how it was before. Which is basically she watches the kids, will do a specific activity if I ask her directly (including changing diapers). She is mid-30's with two kids and I thought she would like more responsibility (and the pay raises that go with it) but she doesn't seem to be able to do/interested in the job.

I can't afford to hire another person to train to be lead AND keep her; I want someone who can step up in a year or two and be the lead. I feel bad, but she has seemed to have lost all motivation. I haven't threatened her job, but I don't think she would be too upset if she got fired. She was perfectly happy being a 'helper' where I want an 'assistant'.

I just need to let her go and I need to do it gently. She's a nice person, but my needs have changed and she doesn't seem to be up to the challenge.
That's a tough situation for you since you were okay with her before plans for expansion were being thought about (That's what you meant, right?).
Is there any way you could just sit down and let her know what you just told us, about needing someone who can run the place when you're not around and everything? And that you need to hire someone to replace her who does want the extra responsibility. With that in mind, she may just step it up a notch or two and try harder. If she isn't interested in it, at least she feels like she had a choice and can walk out without hurt feelings (hopefully). I know that's probably not the professional most business like way of doing it, but as an assistant who loves being the assistant and helping her out by letting her have most of the day off when she's at her wit's end, I would want my employer to let me know what she needs from me, and what she has to do if I don't want the extra responsibility. The lady I work for has discussed possibly opening another daycare and has asked me if I wanted to run it or stay with her at the current daycare. I had an option because she would have to have at least 2 people at the current one even if she did open another one since we're allowed up to 16 children, plus I'm the preschool teacher there, so she would still need one if those too I can't speak for the lady working for you, but if I thought my choice was running the new daycare or no job, I would definitely choose running the new daycare (but I'm really happy working for who I do and where I do). You mentioned your helper/assistant may not even mind if she were fired... looong story short, could you just let her know that she will need to take the extra responsibilty or she will have to be replaced by someone who does want it?
Tags:assistant, termination letter
Reply Up