Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Name Or Last Name
AcornMama 10:37 AM 09-04-2013
I'm enrolling my first two clients, and one of the moms specifically asked me if I prefer to be MissFirstname or Mrs.Lastname.

First, I thought it thoughtful of her to ask me what I prefer.

Second, I am specializing in preschool care and providing structured preschool activities. So, I was thinking of going with Mrs.Lastname, as that's what children will be calling their Kindergarten teachers anyway. But then, I understand that this is a smaller, homey atmosphere, so MissFirstname could also make sense.

Third, I over-think EVERYTHING!

Any advice? Any reason why one is better than the other?

FWIW, I told the mom I'd prefer Mrs.Lastname and gave her the above reason, but I could always change that.
daycarediva 10:48 AM 09-04-2013
I allow the kids to call me what THEY are comfortable with. Some just call me by my first name, some call me Mrs. Lastname, some call me Miss. Firstname. I'm really not too picky about it, although the shortened version of my first name is a BIG pet peeve of mine and that's the ONLY time I correct a child.
spinnymarie 11:07 AM 09-04-2013
All my kids just call me by my first name. Mrs. Lasname is nice, but IMO not really developmentally appropriate, or necessary. WHen I was a preschool teacher in the classroom I also had children call my by my first name - no Ms/Miss. But that's just me.
blandino 11:17 AM 09-04-2013
They all call me Ms. Firstname. My name is a little hard to pronounce so we get lots of version of it, but all call me that.
Unregistered 11:18 AM 09-04-2013
I think either one of those is fine, But it should be one of them. It shows them respect for their elders and it's just good manners that they should get into the habit of doing. Old School maybe but the world was a lot better place when it was old school!

When they get to school they will not be allowed to address their teacher with, "Monica, I need to go potty". She is not their peer. She is an elder and a person of authority.
butterfly 11:39 AM 09-04-2013
I help out with a local preschool and they do Mrs. Firstname. I think it's easier for the little ones to say the first names, than a long last name.

Now at the elementary school, they say Mrs. A (first letter of last name), because they have a longer hard name to pronounce.
lovemylife 11:42 AM 09-04-2013
My kids just call me by my first name or miss first name. My last name is to hard for the younger children
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 09-04-2013
My kiddos all call me Miss (first name) as well as most parents when speaking about me to their child.

Personally, I'd go with whatever is comfortable for the kids.
Familycare71 12:42 PM 09-04-2013
I am either just "first name" or Miss. "Firstname". I personally don't want to be called Mrs. "Last name". I am at an early stage in their lives and I don't want the formality the last name implies (to me).
Probably stems from adults I knew well and had a close relationship were all first names for me growing up. Plus Mrs. "Last name" makes me feel OLD!
Leigh 12:58 PM 09-04-2013
Mine usually just call me Mommy or Grandma! But, when they do use my name, it's my first name.
Brooksie 02:32 PM 09-04-2013
My kids call me 'Miss Firstname'. I think its more appropriate for the homey atmosphere but I do correct them if they just call me 'firstname' for the sake of promoting good manners.
sharlan 03:51 PM 09-04-2013
My kids call me by my first name or Grandma (since 3 are my grandkids).

I have one little girl who calls me S*****, Mom, or Grandma. I answer to all 3.
Cradle2crayons 04:22 PM 09-04-2013
My parents and kids call me miss Lynn. Even though its really mrs. I don't make a deal about it.

My friends call me Lynnie
AcornMama 06:18 PM 09-04-2013
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Starburst 06:51 PM 09-04-2013
As a previous poster mentioned, if you are doing preschool I personally would prefer to go by miss first name because some see it as more of a sign of respect rather than just first name. I just started student teaching at a presbretarian preschool and the teacher goes by ms first name, but I worked at a home daycare before where they just called adults by their first name unless their parents told them other wise (one girl called the owner Miss first name). I think ms first name doesn't sound as intimidating to younger children as ms/mrs last name. It also depends on what your name is.

If your last name is something long like Werbenjagermanjensen but your first name is Jenny, it might be better to go by Ms. Jenny. If your first name is something hard to pronounce for little kids like Aurora but your last name is Jones, then Ms. Jones might be easier. If you do have a more common first name it might also be more beneficial to go by Ms. Last Name because it may be confusing for the other students, if one of your students has the same first name or a name very similar to yours, even if you go by Ms. EX: If your name is Isabel and one of your students is named Isabella. But at the same time if you are currently not married and/or otherwise plan on changing your last name in the future (marriage/divorce/just because), it may be more difficult to get the kids to start calling you Ms. New Last name.

Plus, as you mentioned since you will be doing preschool and are preparing them for kindergarten they will most likely address their teachers as miss/ms/mrs or mister. But in some kindergarten classes they still go by Ms/Mr first name. There was also a similar thread to this on the P.I.T. group forum.
AcornMama 07:46 PM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
If your last name is something long like Werbenjagermanjensen but your first name is Jenny, it might be better to go by Ms. Jenny. If your first name is something hard to pronounce for little kids like Aurora but your last name is Jones, then Ms. Jones might be easier. If you do have a more common first name it might also be more beneficial to go by Ms. Last Name because it may be confusing for the other students, if one of your students has the same first name or a name very similar to yours, even if you go by Ms. EX: If your name is Isabel and one of your students is named Isabella. But at the same time if you are currently not married and/or otherwise plan on changing your last name in the future (marriage/divorce/just because), it may be more difficult to get the kids to start calling you Ms. New Last name.
Both my first and last names are about as plain vanilla American as you can get, so no problems there. And I'm married and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.
Emsdayhome 08:19 AM 09-05-2013
I'm trying to get the kids parents to refer to me as Ms.Em ( even though I'm a Mrs...Ms seems automatic for everyone) but they're all infants. I refer to myself as Ms.Em when I ask them to give something to me or to come with me, etc. (I refer to myself in third person a lot of the time with these guys lol) I have a full time little one with the same name as me, and it was confusing her dad haha. I think it would confuse the kids ultimately, too.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:18 AM 09-05-2013
Obviously, I go by Mrs. Lastname
That is how I taught my children. Adults get titles and that we use last names. Earlier on, I let my daycare kids call me by my first name. Now that I have cycled through a generation of kids (I now have kids in college that I watched) I am more of the opinion that they need to use Mrs. Lastname. Yes, it is cute when little kids call you by your first name. Not so cute when high schoolers do that. I felt that there was a lack of respect. I would have NEVER used my friends' parents' first names!! When my dd went away to school in orientation they did a whole class on titles and the proper respect that shows. My daughter understood all of that much easier than a lot of her classmates because we have always used titles for her. In fact, we have friends that now tell her, you're an adult you may use my first name and she always says, oh no Mrs. _______.
My little ones quickly pick up Mrs. Steinel. Not to insult anyone but I am under the impression that adults need to step up and be adults. I believe titles do that. I also refer to my friends as Mrs. or Mr. So and so. I love it and miss that in our society today. I am also insulted when I get a telemarketer and they use my first name or at a store or bank.
sahm1225 07:57 PM 09-06-2013
They call me miss first name or mrs first name. Our dcks have transitioned to calling their teachers mrs last name and don't think anything of it. I have one dcg that likes to call me by a shortened version of my name and no miss or mrs... Drives me bonkers!! I prefer to be called by my full name unless you are family or good friends then you can use my nickname- no way should a child be using that!

I always felt that adults should have a title when addressed by children, but that just comes with how I was raised
Crazy8 08:49 PM 09-06-2013
I go by Ms. Firstname. That is what all the preschools and daycare centers in the area do as well. With all my kids being under 3 I do not correct them if they leave off the Ms. part and just use my first name.
Starburst 07:53 AM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Obviously, I go by Mrs. Lastname
That is how I taught my children. Adults get titles and that we use last names. Earlier on, I let my daycare kids call me by my first name. Now that I have cycled through a generation of kids (I now have kids in college that I watched) I am more of the opinion that they need to use Mrs. Lastname. Yes, it is cute when little kids call you by your first name. Not so cute when high schoolers do that. I felt that there was a lack of respect. I would have NEVER used my friends' parents' first names!! When my dd went away to school in orientation they did a whole class on titles and the proper respect that shows. My daughter understood all of that much easier than a lot of her classmates because we have always used titles for her. In fact, we have friends that now tell her, you're an adult you may use my first name and she always says, oh no Mrs. _______.
In Hawaii they don't really do ms/mrs or mr but children are expected to call adults that are close to the family aunt/auntie or uncle, as a sign of respect to acknowledge seniority.
Starburst 07:55 AM 09-07-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
They call me miss first name or mrs first name. Our dcks have transitioned to calling their teachers mrs last name and don't think anything of it. I have one dcg that likes to call me by a shortened version of my name and no miss or mrs... Drives me bonkers!! I prefer to be called by my full name unless you are family or good friends then you can use my nickname- no way should a child be using that!

I always felt that adults should have a title when addressed by children, but that just comes with how I was raised
Have you talked to her parents about that?
Lyss 08:51 AM 09-07-2013
I let the kids call me whatever they feel comfortable, within reason obviously sometimes I get miss first name but mostly first name (or a version of first name anyway)

Usually whatever mom or dad says sticks or whatever the majority of kids say. I had one teacher's kid that always said mrs first name when she started but now its mostly first name like the other kids.
Denise 03:49 PM 09-07-2013
Miss D
Maria2013 01:37 PM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
All my kids just call me by my first name. Mrs. Lasname is nice, but IMO not really developmentally appropriate, or necessary. WHen I was a preschool teacher in the classroom I also had children call my by my first name - no Ms/Miss. But that's just me.
that's me too
Maria2013 01:39 PM 09-08-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
(or a version of first name anyway)

Reply Up