Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Omg!!! Think I Am Going To Have To Let Assistant Go
sahm2three 07:04 PM 02-16-2012
I am so fed up. I put in so many hours, and she makes just about as much as I do. I work 12 to 14 hours a day, and even some on the weekends, and she barely works 35 hours a week total, yet is scheduled for 50. I keep 60% of the weekly spot fees and she gets 40%. She is always either sick, car trouble, back hurting, too depressed because her ex is a jerk or her current man is being a jerk, or blah blah blah. She is such a drama queen, and is ALWAYS complaining about something. I AM FED UP! She didn't come in today, and looks like she will, at the very least, be late tomorrow. DO NOT HIRE YOUR FRIENDS!!!! It is a complete nightmare!!! UGH. Thanks for listening!
PitterPatter 07:09 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I am so fed up. I put in so many hours, and she makes just about as much as I do. I work 12 to 14 hours a day, and even some on the weekends, and she barely works 35 hours a week total, yet is scheduled for 50. I keep 60% of the weekly spot fees and she gets 40%. She is always either sick, car trouble, back hurting, too depressed because her ex is a jerk or her current man is being a jerk, or blah blah blah. She is such a drama queen, and is ALWAYS complaining about something. I AM FED UP! She didn't come in today, and looks like she will, at the very least, be late tomorrow. DO NOT HIRE YOUR FRIENDS!!!! It is a complete nightmare!!! UGH. Thanks for listening!
Do you REALLY need her since she's not there much anyway?

"Sally due to changes that I will be making in my child care I can no longer afford an assistant I hope you understand"

or

Just tell her what you said here minus the drama queen part
cheerfuldom 07:10 PM 02-16-2012
I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way but yes I agree, do not hire friends or family. Good luck with the firing but be prepared to lose the friendship. Working with assistants is hard. I'd rather go down on the number of kids and fire her. In fact, I did that once.
Heidi 07:17 PM 02-16-2012
sammmm?

I feel like I know you, so I can call you that...lol

Didn't we tell you weeks ago to dump your assistant and downsize? Now you need another reason?

Oh, and that was BEFORE you mentioned that she's unreliable and dramatic!
cheerfuldom 07:31 PM 02-16-2012
It does seem like you have been posting a lot of issues OP. Maybe you should just downsize majorly and let the assistant go.
sahm2three 07:44 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
It does seem like you have been posting a lot of issues OP. Maybe you should just downsize majorly and let the assistant go.
Come on! I haven't been a debbie downer lately! Sheessh! I had some drama, but things have been MUCH better since that all went down! Ugh. I guess I need to just chill and not post again for a while. Apparently I am looked at as the one with all the issues.
cheerfuldom 07:49 PM 02-16-2012
wow....I didn't mean to offend you at all. I just noticed your posts lately and I know it is hard to have things come up with daycare issues. I had the exact same assistant issue and I truly sympathize. I did not mean to imply that you shouldn't post. We all need support and we are here for you. All I meant was that maybe this is the final straw that you should make some permanent changes. Sounds like the assistant has worn out her welcome.
DaycareMama 08:11 PM 02-16-2012
I hired family as my assistant and it was the biggest mistake I have every made
I do EVERYTHING and she basically changes diapers and complains she doesn't make enough money (if she would do more I would pay more)

She is always complaining about her personal life, car, depression, the guy walking down the street, someone who breathed wrong blah blah blah
and it rubs off on you. Her bad mood without a doubt puts me in a bad mood.

I can totally sympathize (sp?) with you and all you go thru with her. I know the easy answer would be to down size and let her go. But when its "personal" its not that easy. I can honestly say I have thought about moving so she wouldn't wanna commute Sad? Yes. I know its my business and I need to take charge but its hard. You live and learn

I really hope that you find the strength to do whats best for you and your business.
bunnyslippers 05:01 AM 02-17-2012
I worked with my best friend last year, and it was the BEST year I have ever had!
MyAngels 05:10 AM 02-17-2012
I'd say if you can't fire her (due to the friendship thing), maybe you could change your arrangement with her to something that's more hourly in nature. That would at least give her some incentive to show up. It won't fix the drama at all, but at least she'd be there.
nannyde 05:23 AM 02-17-2012
How do you stay in compliance in numbers when she is not there?

You have a terrible financial arrangement. I would NEVER give a staff assistant forty percent of tuition off the top. There's no way to make money.

The twenty percent you leave yourself can't possibly cover hard costs much less the extra hours you work while the business is open.

You need to put her on salary with minimum number of hours per week. Tell her you will do 35 hours a week for X dollars an hour. If she wants more hours she can earn them if you need her.

If you are paying her a flat salary based on tuition and she gets that whether she actually works or not... you are begging her to call off and try to get the hours as small as you will allow without firing her. If that is the case she has a rockin deal and she's going to be livid when you say no more. Be prepared for some serious drama, a visit from the state, and some internet bashing. If you are out of compliance numbers wise if she doesn't show she will be able to get you inspected over capacity if she turns you in right away. Get a PLAN for an approved assistant BEFORE you let her go and get your house in order.

How did you come up with a 60/40 split?

I had a friend who did a similiar split with a co-provider (but not as bad for her money wise as your deal) and she had a TON of problems. It ended really badly. https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...ant-part-4.htm
icaredaycare 05:55 AM 02-17-2012
Come on! I haven't been a debbie downer lately! Sheessh! I had some drama, but things have been MUCH better since that all went down! Ugh. I guess I need to just chill and not post again for a while. Apparently I am looked at as the one with all the issues.
i'm not sure why you went off on cheerfuldom. she was just trying to help. I'm not sure what other issues you are going through, but we are all on the forum as a support group.

as for the 60/40 split, how is that contracted? is it on paper? it really doesn't seem fair on your end. you have cost of building (ur home) to consider. Also the extra hours u put in, the numbers don't look right to me.
countrymom 06:10 AM 02-17-2012
my back up lady has an assistant, she pays her 20 dollars for up to 4 hours or 30 dollars for a full day, depends on the day. I know she is there 3 days a week. But she has been thru alot of assistants too. One day I show up at her house and her helper was outside smoking, which is a big no-no, but she was constantly going outside. She never told C that she was a smoker, but the best part was, she had a set of huge boobies, she would wear a tank top with no bra, and a hoodie that was half zipped, omg, the dads that would come and pick their kids up couldn't stop starring at her. And she wasn't very good with the children. She lasted 2 weeks.
Angelwings36 06:47 AM 02-17-2012
I'm sorry if you have felt somewhat attacked lately. I have been noticing too that every time you post a new thread someone says something to the matter of "you complain too much." I, however, do not think that's the case. I am going to assume since you are running your daycare with an assistant then you are running with a higher number of children. A higher number of children means for a higher number of parent's. A higher number of parent's means for more issues and much more enforcing your policies. Also if you are running with a higher number of children it is so much more important to keep your daycare extremely organized which could also mean that you have more rules then other daycares do and your not so lenient. If I'm out to lunch, please let me know.

The above issue is something that I went through when I hired on my EX best friend (note the word EX). It was about March last year when I decided to do an "expansion" on the daycare. Pretty much I doubled my number of dck's so that I could hire on my EX best friend on a full time basis. I also offered to pay my friend approximately the 40/60 ratio that you are doing now because I felt like an a** when I knew she knew what I made. I am a very organized person and I had all of my drop off times written down, all of my pick up times written down, rotated centre based free play projects with the kids so they weren't all huddled in one room beside each other all day, planned my menu...etc.

In May of 2011 (only two months after the initial expansion) my EX best friends husband showed up at my house to inform me that my EX best friend was quitting. His reason for her quitting was because I put too much responsibility on her shoulders. I expected her to do everything that I did. I expected her to change diapers, feed children, play with the children, be a part of the interviewing process (when needed), clean up after the children, etc.. and I expecting this as I was paying her 40% of what the daycare brought in each much. Apparently she didn't think she should have to do any such cleaning in my home as it was my home and not hers and had her nose out of joint because she didn't get to do any of her cleaning until she got home after work. She was upset that I would start supper for my family 15-30 minutes before I closed, was upset that supper clean up was the only cleaning I would have left for the night when she had to go home at 5:15pm (our closing time) still make supper and still clean up her whole house. What cleaning she had to do when she was gone all day I do not know??

I also had issues with her calling in sick on a regular basis. She had a 4 year old boy and a 5 month old girl and whenever one of her children got sick she would stay home. This put me in a very difficult situation because this meant I either had to call in sick for half of the kids I was expecting that day or recruit one of my family members to come in and cover for her.

When she quit she lost it on me saying that it wasn't right that I got upset when she had to call in sick. Honestly, 6 sick days in a month?? Any other job and she likely would have been fired! I ended up out an assistant on the spot and had to hire on family members until I was able to downscale the daycare again. I will NEVER, EVER hire a friend to work with me again! Needless to say, we have not spoken since.

My advice to you would be to put your friend straight right now. Let her know that you have been doing a lot of thinking lately and you've noticed that she is only putting in about 35 hours a week. Tell her that after x months of paying the headway expenses for the daycare that you have realized that giving her a 40% split is not an option and you will have to downscale her pay if she was to stay on with you. Then do what Nan suggested and offer her a flat salary for a minimum of 35 hours a week. Also let her know that you will have to deduct x amount for each hour she misses under 35 hours a week and that if she wants more hours and you can offer her more hours you will pay her x amount for each additional hour.

I hope that I have been a little bit of help. If you ever want to chat you are welcome to private message me.

Take care.
pfund2233 07:04 AM 02-17-2012
If I have learned one thing in life it is NEVER go into business, loan money or have a contract with friends and/or family!!! It's very rarely a good thing!! I was in business (owned a floral shop) for 4yrs with my mom and sister and that was wonderful but a very rare occasion... BUT we did have out bad days/weeks/months!!
sahm2three 08:14 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
How do you stay in compliance in numbers when she is not there?

You have a terrible financial arrangement. I would NEVER give a staff assistant forty percent of tuition off the top. There's no way to make money.

The twenty percent you leave yourself can't possibly cover hard costs much less the extra hours you work while the business is open.

You need to put her on salary with minimum number of hours per week. Tell her you will do 35 hours a week for X dollars an hour. If she wants more hours she can earn them if you need her.

If you are paying her a flat salary based on tuition and she gets that whether she actually works or not... you are begging her to call off and try to get the hours as small as you will allow without firing her. If that is the case she has a rockin deal and she's going to be livid when you say no more. Be prepared for some serious drama, a visit from the state, and some internet bashing. If you are out of compliance numbers wise if she doesn't show she will be able to get you inspected over capacity if she turns you in right away. Get a PLAN for an approved assistant BEFORE you let her go and get your house in order.

How did you come up with a 60/40 split?

I had a friend who did a similiar split with a co-provider (but not as bad for her money wise as your deal) and she had a TON of problems. It ended really badly. https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...ant-part-4.htm
Two days a week we have quiet days with usually only 5 kids here, and we actually are down a couple kids after the drama a couple weeks ago, so even without her, I am in compliance. As far as the 60/40 split, we came up with that so that it was pretty even after paying bills. She is supposed to make it so that I can attend my children's school stuff and take them to and from school.
sahm2three 08:15 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by icaredaycare:
i'm not sure why you went off on cheerfuldom. she was just trying to help. I'm not sure what other issues you are going through, but we are all on the forum as a support group.

as for the 60/40 split, how is that contracted? is it on paper? it really doesn't seem fair on your end. you have cost of building (ur home) to consider. Also the extra hours u put in, the numbers don't look right to me.
Because that is always being shoved down my throat. No matter how many times I am posting in support of someone or posting cute stories in the funny thread, I always get called out for "having issues".
Sprouts 08:29 AM 02-17-2012
I took nanny dees advice and hired a Young and energetic enthusiastic 19 year old and she has been awesome! I worked with my sister in law who same as yours constantly complained, always showed up late or not at all and basically cut her hours to 0 or just when needed.
Cat Herder 08:31 AM 02-17-2012
Because that is always being shoved down my throat. No matter how many times I am posting in support of someone or posting cute stories in the funny thread, I always get called out for "having issues".
OK, I had to look at your post history because I did not really think you have been targeted and was wondering what you were talking about. I have not been on my A game lately and figured I must have missed something.

Is it possible that you are a bit oversensitive to it because you know what they are saying is true? Your posts are escalating, you are stressed, you have a screamer, a colicky infant, an irresponsible assistant, a licensing citation PLUS a recently termed client who is bad mouthing you all over the place.

You have been facing burnout....who wouldn't under those circumstances???? I'd be running screaming through the streets

They are trying to help. THAT is what the forum is for. Nobody is judging you....we FEEL for you and want to help.
countrymom 08:34 AM 02-17-2012
sorry but who tagged this provider burn out risk, I find it kinda rude. We all have issues, heck I complain all the time about the one girl and poopy pull up girl but I come here to vent because dh isn't home. Just because we complain about the same kids doesn't mean we are going to have a burn out.
sahm2three 08:39 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
OK, I had to look at your post history because I did not really think you have been targeted and was wondering what you were talking about. I have not been on my A game lately and figured I must have missed something.

Is it possible that you are a bit oversensitive to it because you know what they are saying is true? Your posts are escalating, you are stressed, you have a screamer, a colicky infant, an irresponsible assistant, a licensing citation PLUS a recently termed client who is bad mouthing you all over the place.

You have been facing burnout....who wouldn't under those circumstances???? I'd be running screaming through the streets

They are trying to help. THAT is what the forum is for. Nobody is judging you....we FEEL for you and want to help.
I have no licensing citation. I got a GLOWING report. But I give advice and support, but when I ask for support or advice in return, it is constantly, "your posts are escalating". From reading on here lately, it sounds like a whole lot of providers are going thru the same stressers that I am, but I feel like I am the one called out on it all the time. That's all. Yes, I am stressed, but things have been so much better since I termed the problem family.
Cat Herder 08:39 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
sorry but who tagged this provider burn out risk, I find it kinda rude.
Again...it is not rude.

It links you to OTHER threads like this one where people give valuable advice.

STRESS is a KNOWN Provider Burnout Risk.

It is about forum archives......NOT labeling a person.
sahm2three 08:41 AM 02-17-2012
Cat Herder 08:44 AM 02-17-2012
I have no licensing citation. .
I am sorry...you are right. That thread was started by someone else...My mistake. I read through them pretty fast.

When I first came here I vented alot...I was stressed and that was why I came looking for an online forum... I was about to close the doors for good.

I got a lot of great advice and now I rarely need to vent. I know I got pretty upset when folks told me what I needed to hear, instead of what I wanted to hear at first.
Angelwings36 08:52 AM 02-17-2012
I also come to this site to vent. I'm sure some may think that I am a burn out risk too for the amount of "venting threads" I have posted. Actually, at one point I was in a really low place but I was able to bring myself back up with the support of those around me and this site. OP I hope that you don't stop posting just because a few have narrowed you out as being a "potential burnout", I think it is so harsh to judge someone like that, especially someone you don't even know.

I also think some of the posters should word their advice a little different. Telling someone you think they can't handle the amount of children they have is not a good way to give advice, it's actually insulting and I would be really upset if someone said that to me too. I understand the whole "she asked for advice, we give advice" but wording goes a long way....
MommyofThree 09:02 AM 02-17-2012

It seems like ur the only one that keeps bringing this subject up!!!! Just let it go. Who cares . Let her feel like it, you just keep instigating the situation
Cat Herder 09:07 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
It seems like ur the only one that keeps bringing this subject up!!!! Just let it go. Who cares . Let her feel like it, you just keep instigating the situation
WTH are you talking about????????
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 02-17-2012
Why are you finger pointing at Catherder?!?! She is actually helping, NOT making things worse. She is definitely not instigating anything.
MommyofThree 09:14 AM 02-17-2012
WTH are you talking about????????
Well with out speaking to another person that way I'll tell you. Please no dram though she asked for advise and someone commented about her being stress or what ever . I really didn't pay that much attention because it didn't seem that rude but sahm thought it was, which ok she commented, no biggy but then you just kept posting about it and even investigated and put some of her post up and pretty mush said yes you are stressed and bla bla srry, I can't remember the exact convo , I really don't comment on stuff that is confrontational but i feel for her I get stressed ,not from kids but from parents and assistants and so forth. But sorry I didn't mean to offend you in any way I just feel for sahm.
MommyofThree 09:17 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why are you finger pointing at Catherder?!?! She is actually helping, NOT making things worse. She is definitely not instigating anything.
Ok srry , just my own thoughts. May I have them just what I seen. No biggy let's not start an augment lol.
Cat Herder 09:27 AM 02-17-2012
Well with out speaking to another person that way I'll tell you. Please no dram though she asked for advise and someone commented about her being stress or what ever . I really didn't pay that much attention because it didn't seem that rude but sahm thought it was, which ok she commented, no biggy but then you just kept posting about it and even investigated and put some of her post up and pretty mush said yes you are stressed and bla bla srry, I can't remember the exact convo , I really don't comment on stuff that is confrontational but i feel for her I get stressed ,not from kids but from parents and assistants and so forth. But sorry I didn't mean to offend you in any way I just feel for sahm.
I understand that. I feel for her too.

That is why I went back to see if she was being targeted and back her up if that was the case.

I did that because she said she was going to leave... That made no sense to me because ,to me, she was getting close to having her kinks worked out for a great summer.

I want her to succeed and be happy...and it seemed right around the corner so her suddenly talking of leaving the forum seemed out of sorts.
Blackcat31 09:37 AM 02-17-2012
Ok srry , just my own thoughts. May I have them just what I seen. No biggy let's not start an augment lol.
Nope, you are right..you are entitled toyour own thoughts.

I just didn't understand why you were thinking Catherder was doing anything but helping. She is one of the most supportive, kind hearted and caring people I know so I was just honestly taken aback by someone thinking she was being mean or instigating something.

I wasn't trying to argue with you or be dramatic about it. No hard feelings.

We are all here for support and I think it was good/nice that you were sticking up for SAHM2three if you felt she was being "picked on".....I just didn't think she was, so that is where my thoughts were coming from.
itlw8 09:38 AM 02-17-2012
I would not fire her I would however explain your reason for needing an assistant has changed. You no longer need a full time assistant but if she would be willing you would love to hire her at an hourly rate for when you need to get away. Could you even give her say 3 hours a week?

$10 an hour
wdmmom 10:07 AM 02-17-2012
I would start advertising for the opening. Find someone that you can work well with. Someone that can physically meet all the demands of the job. When you interview, make yourself clear on absences! I tell my staff assistant you have to be half dead to miss a day of work. These parents rely on us and in turn, we rely on our assistants. They will either have exceptional work ethic and work the days and hours they are scheduled or they won't.

My staff assistant works 4 days per week. She's missed 2 days in the first 5 weeks. I had "the talk" with her and he knows that if she misses anymore work, not only will she not get a good reference from me, but I will replace her.

I think young people these days think they are entitled. They work as little as possible to collect the paycheck. They don't want to work, they don't want to come in but they want the money. Sometimes telling them they can be replaced is all it takes for them to wake up and understand it.

Find an assistant that will work for minimum wage up to $12 an hour based on experience. I think you'll be much better off. And only schedule them the hours you need them.

I have my assistant here for 3 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. She has a 2.5 hour break to do appointments, run errands, have lunch, etc. I don't pay an assistant to be here through naptime except for Thursdays. That is our big cleaning day so she keeps busy while they are napping.
Country Kids 10:53 AM 02-17-2012
I'm having it tough also, so when you write these things my heart breaks for you. My husband has never seen me cry so much since this year. Me crying on Valentines day broke his heart-

It seems like the minute I get one problem fixed there is another one. That is what is wearing me out more than anything. Its also not one childs behavior but all of them. It seems like I can find the right fit for them. Terming them all is not an option. I'm thinking of actually having someone from CCR&R come in and see if they can give me some ideas after observing the kids.

I'm not new at this, pretty seasoned veteran! So that is what is frustrating me the most.

If you would like to pm me, please feel free.
Heidi 11:25 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I'm having it tough also, so when you write these things my heart breaks for you. My husband has never seen me cry so much since this year. Me crying on Valentines day broke his heart-

It seems like the minute I get one problem fixed there is another one. That is what is wearing me out more than anything. Its also not one childs behavior but all of them. It seems like I can find the right fit for them. Terming them all is not an option. I'm thinking of actually having someone from CCR&R come in and see if they can give me some ideas after observing the kids.

I'm not new at this, pretty seasoned veteran! So that is what is frustrating me the most.

If you would like to pm me, please feel free.
Oh Country....

Do you think someone from the CC & R would come? I would, but I'm pretty sure we're nowhere near each other. Sometimes just having someone else observe can give you a fresh perspective, eh? I hope they are willing to observe & give constructive feedback!

I know this first year back hasn't been ideal for me, either. I USED to feel like I knew what I was doing, but this year there are has been a lot of questioning myself. Spring is comming, though, and the youngest kids are a little older, so at least I feel like there's a light ahead!
Country Kids 11:37 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Oh Country....

Do you think someone from the CC & R would come? I would, but I'm pretty sure we're nowhere near each other. Sometimes just having someone else observe can give you a fresh perspective, eh? I hope they are willing to observe & give constructive feedback!

I know this first year back hasn't been ideal for me, either. I USED to feel like I knew what I was doing, but this year there are has been a lot of questioning myself. Spring is comming, though, and the youngest kids are a little older, so at least I feel like there's a light ahead!
Oh thank you so much bbo! No, we are thousands of miles apart yet visit in each others homes every day- Thank you for overing to come over though. I have questioned myself alot this year and actually have done some planning in the future but its in the future not right now. I'm going to call CCR&R next week and see if they will do a home visit.

I get the whole USED to feel thing. Funny when you take some time off and come back its not always the same. I so see a difference in children now then when I did this fulltime about 5 years ago. That is what is totally frustrating to me also. What gets me through the day is reading others stories and seeing its not just me! I just wish we could get back to the way things use to be!
nannyde 07:36 PM 02-17-2012
Two days a week we have quiet days with usually only 5 kids here, and we actually are down a couple kids after the drama a couple weeks ago, so even without her, I am in compliance. As far as the 60/40 split, we came up with that so that it was pretty even after paying bills. She is supposed to make it so that I can attend my children's school stuff and take them to and from school.
Friend that's a terrible deal for you. It sounds like it's time to start over with someone who doesn't get a cut of the business... just a flat salary. You have forty percent of your week when you don't even need her and you are paying her forty percent of the salary.

Time to just put her on an hourly rate with hours that work when YOU need her. She has NO power here at all. She's your employee not your partner. Offer her a new deal. Also, I pray you aren't allowing her to bring her kids too. If you are you are paying way more than forty percent of your business to her. Two slots are very valuable and having staff kids in the house is a heavy burden on the business. You may find if you start over with a fresh employee with stricter rules you may have a lot of the issues you have been having recently diminish or disapear.

You are showing us veteran providers a pattern that is indicitive of HIGH stress and fatigue. We know how this turns out and it's never good. We are trying to counsel you. Take what we say and believe.
Tags:assistant, assistant - lazy, assistant vent, downsizing, drama, picking other members apart for fun, provider - burnout risk, stress
Reply Up