Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Know Anything About This???
blueskiesbutterflies 10:27 AM 11-19-2014
President Obama Signs CCDBG Reauthorization Bill into Law

Does anyone know anything about this?
Blackcat31 10:33 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by blueskiesbutterflies:
President Obama Signs CCDBG Reauthorization Bill into Law

Does anyone know anything about this?
http://policyblog.usa.childcareaware...l-day-2-recap/

“Senate passage of legislation to reauthorize the Child Care and Development Block Grant is a step forward in the shared goal of strengthening the nation’s existing network of early childhood services. The bill includes several commonsense provisions that will help empower parents and enhance coordination between CCDBG and other federal early care programs, such as Head Start. The committee will convene a hearing on March 25, 2014 to examine House priorities for CCDBG, and I look forward to a productive discussion as we work to find common ground and complete the reauthorization of this important program.”
NoMoreJuice! 10:44 AM 11-19-2014
This may also shed some light on it...

http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...er_-_91914.pdf

One positive thing I noted was that daycare providers would be able to charge for subsidy children when they are absent:

"De-links provider reimbursement with unforeseen child absences to stabilize child care providers’ business"
Blackcat31 10:48 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
This may also shed some light on it...

http://usa.childcareaware.org/sites/...er_-_91914.pdf

One positive thing I noted was that daycare providers would be able to charge for subsidy children when they are absent:
"De-links provider reimbursement with unforeseen child absences to stabilize child care providers’ business"
We are allowed to do that now.
NoMoreJuice! 10:51 AM 11-19-2014
I don't accept subsidy, so I didn't know that. They sure worded it to make it sound like a great deal for the providers, lol. I did have a foster child enrolled in my daycare, and we had to write an in/out timesheet every single day and only got paid for those hours. This legislation probably wouldn't affect that I'm guessing?
daycarediva 10:54 AM 11-19-2014
I still will never take subsidy again.

The reimbursement rates are lower than I charge. I get not being able to charge MORE than the other kids, but to get paid less?

The paperwork. OH MY LORD. The few hours that week that put the kid under FT and you get HALF of what you billed for.

The waiting MONTHS for payments.

The fear that the parent was dishonest, not at work, and I will have to reimburse more money. (Happened to me this summer).
Annalee 10:58 AM 11-19-2014
All these changes and rules coming down are unsettling to me and my FCC profession....our state is one of the toughest and, just when I think it cannot get worse, it does....we have gotten so many emails lately......no bumbo seats anymore, very little confinement for infants (I look for high chairs to go next), state has always monitored meals/nap/etc.....but now will monitor arrival/departure, they are validating (yes validating) diplomas because it seems some persons are working with an invalid diploma across our state......not that I mind some of this being checked but it is getting to where I can't work for fear of who is coming in and to check what?????? I know of providers being written up because their posted menu overlapped with their QRIS report card casuing the report card not to be conspicuous as is should be! Come on, give us a break!!!!
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I still will never take subsidy again.

The reimbursement rates are lower than I charge. I get not being able to charge MORE than the other kids, but to get paid less?

The paperwork. OH MY LORD. The few hours that week that put the kid under FT and you get HALF of what you billed for.

The waiting MONTHS for payments.

The fear that the parent was dishonest, not at work, and I will have to reimburse more money. (Happened to me this summer).
Our subsidy was just like that but is now revamped to support the provider more than the parent.

daycarediva 11:10 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our subsidy was just like that but is now revamped to support the provider more than the parent.
  • We now do everything electronically
  • Get paid within 2 weeks of submission (direct deposit)
  • Get paid for everything we claim and if the parent lied or was not authorized to use those hours, they suspend the parent's acct or have them repay.
  • I am guaranteed to get the final two weeks payment, even if the parent simply up and disappears (Then they are NOT allowed to apply for assistance anywhere else in the state)
  • We can charge whatever we want to charge above and beyond what CCAP pays (as long as it's the same rate as other families)
I'm impressed!!! When I called to inquire about payment, the very rude social worker told me that I had 'better not' stop watching this child and they will 'get around to paying me'. Ya, I don't think so lady, that was 1:8 of my income.
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 11-19-2014
I'm impressed!!! When I called to inquire about payment, the very rude social worker told me that I had 'better not' stop watching this child and they will 'get around to paying me'. Ya, I don't think so lady, that was 1:8 of my income.
MY DH is standing next to me reading and he even sucked his breath in at that one!!!
Annalee 11:13 AM 11-19-2014
They pay on time here for subsidy but they won't pay when I am closed so I always told my subsidy clients in advance they would have to pay for my vacation, etc., but that didn't work.....I NEVER get referrals for certificate kids anymore and that is fine by me!!!!
butterfly 11:28 AM 11-19-2014
OP - I was going to post something similar too. I'm curious to see how this works in our state. It sounds great so far, but I'm wondering what additional policies, paperwork, and inspections will come along with this... And how licensing will "interpret" it all.
daycarediva 11:30 AM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
MY DH is standing next to me reading and he even sucked his breath in at that one!!!
I went through HECK with the last subsidized client I had. It took MONTHS to receive payment, and I finally called around to local providers to ask them if they had advice. They all confirmed that the state had 30 days to PROCESS the payment, and then 30 days to MAKE the payment. So I could wait for this weeks pay until mid-end January.

They also tried to make it as difficult as possible for you to get what you billed for. They dated the forms odd, sometimes paid for one week even though you can only bill biweekly. They would sometimes write the date they mailed the check on the check, not the date it was reimbursed for, that kind of thing. It was IMPOSSIBLE to track what payments were made for what week.

They were VERY rude when I started calling to inquire about payments. They lied to me when they said that dcm didn't turn in her time cards, because dcm had given them to me to mail until the last few weeks.

I termed the dcm for various other issues/behavior and inconsistencies and she had already quit her job---- which the social worker admitted that she KNEW and KNEW I was working for free! I got a bill in the mail, and ended up paying them BACK $150ish.

I sent dcm a bill for that and the last two weeks of care she skipped out on, and she did make payment arrangements and is finally caught up but MAN!

I could NOT have lived like that if I needed the income to survive/lived week to week!

Sorry, HUGE hijack. Rant over!
Annalee 11:33 AM 11-19-2014
I went through HECK with the last subsidized client I had. It took MONTHS to receive payment, and I finally called around to local providers to ask them if they had advice. They all confirmed that the state had 30 days to PROCESS the payment, and then 30 days to MAKE the payment. So I could wait for this weeks pay until mid-end January.

They also tried to make it as difficult as possible for you to get what you billed for. They dated the forms odd, sometimes paid for one week even though you can only bill biweekly. They would sometimes write the date they mailed the check on the check, not the date it was reimbursed for, that kind of thing. It was IMPOSSIBLE to track what payments were made for what week.

They were VERY rude when I started calling to inquire about payments. They lied to me when they said that dcm didn't turn in her time cards, because dcm had given them to me to mail until the last few weeks.

I termed the dcm for various other issues/behavior and inconsistencies and she had already quit her job---- which the social worker admitted that she KNEW and KNEW I was working for free! I got a bill in the mail, and ended up paying them BACK $150ish.

I sent dcm a bill for that and the last two weeks of care she skipped out on, and she did make payment arrangements and is finally caught up but MAN!

I could NOT have lived like that if I needed the income to survive/lived week to week!

Sorry, HUGE hijack. Rant over!
If a subsidy client skips out on payment here, providers can report them to subsidy office and they will not receive any more benefits till they are current with provider they skipped out on...so I got paid for my vacation from the client that went to subsidy office complaining and then the office worker called pleading her case....not happening.....I have to pay bills just like she does!
DaveA 12:39 PM 11-19-2014
Yeah- that happened here a while back. The state was famously behind bills (like months) and providers were basically told "too bad- deal with it". I know of one center and several homes that went out of business because they were being told to provide care for 30%+ of their capacity without payment.

I'm not sure how I feel about where childcare (especially FCC) is going in relationship to how much government is involved. For the first time in my career I've considered having a plan to get out of the field, either long term (like 1 year) or short term (2 weeks notice). I can't put my finger on it or describe it. Something just feels "off" when I think about it. Who knows
Neekie 01:10 PM 11-19-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Yeah- that happened here a while back. The state was famously behind bills (like months) and providers were basically told "too bad- deal with it". I know of one center and several homes that went out of business because they were being told to provide care for 30%+ of their capacity without payment.

I'm not sure how I feel about where childcare (especially FCC) is going in relationship to how much government is involved. For the first time in my career I've considered having a plan to get out of the field, either long term (like 1 year) or short term (2 weeks notice). I can't put my finger on it or describe it. Something just feels "off" when I think about it. Who knows
I get that same feeling, DaveAmour. It's a very uncomfortable feeling.
MyAngels 06:34 PM 11-19-2014
I feel this way too. Nothing concrete as far as changes being required, just a general feeling that things are changing, and not for the better - at least from my POV. Hopefully I'll be able to retire before anything too dramatic happens
Annalee 07:39 PM 11-19-2014

renea38 04:22 PM 11-20-2014
I believe it refers to a new program called early headstart. Its for children birth to age three. The government is looking for licensed home and childcare centers to partner with. Lots of hoops to jump through. Google early headstart. I was asked to participate but felt i would become a part of offering services that exceeded my comfort level. When children enter this program it costs the parents nothing. All food, diapers etc are provided to them. If they need a car seat, they ask and they receive one. Early headstart provides the funds and we distribute things to the parents. Hope that is helpful.
LysesKids 05:15 AM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
All these changes and rules coming down are unsettling to me and my FCC profession....our state is one of the toughest and, just when I think it cannot get worse, it does....we have gotten so many emails lately......no bumbo seats anymore, very little confinement for infants (I look for high chairs to go next), state has always monitored meals/nap/etc.....but now will monitor arrival/departure, they are validating (yes validating) diplomas because it seems some persons are working with an invalid diploma across our state......not that I mind some of this being checked but it is getting to where I can't work for fear of who is coming in and to check what?????? I know of providers being written up because their posted menu overlapped with their QRIS report card casuing the report card not to be conspicuous as is should be! Come on, give us a break!!!!
You of all people can understand why I am staying license exempt here lol. I have what's called the Minui Handysitts for mealtime, but they are no longer sold in the states (it was a 3 year window at best); Saves me from having 4 highchairs in a small kitchen and I can use them with kids as young as 7 months. Never used Bumbos and my program is based on Montessori methods which means no confinement for infants. I gave up on the food program because My parents were balking at some of the rules, and I love having the freedom to change the menu on a whim.
Annalee 09:06 AM 11-21-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
You of all people can understand why I am staying license exempt here lol. I have what's called the Minui Handysitts for mealtime, but they are no longer sold in the states (it was a 3 year window at best); Saves me from having 4 highchairs in a small kitchen and I can use them with kids as young as 7 months. Never used Bumbos and my program is based on Montessori methods which means no confinement for infants. I gave up on the food program because My parents were balking at some of the rules, and I love having the freedom to change the menu on a whim.
Yep, I do understand....I have rolled with the change for several years but it is getting rediculous!!!! I would NOT want to start up a new FCC the way things are now!
daycarediva 10:47 AM 11-21-2014

I agree. Not a fan of big government sticking their nose into everything. Especially prek, which is what I do. UPK has common core in my state. The kids are tested DAILY.

I would absolutely go legally unlicensed if it wasn't such a low # of kids. (2) I could get by on 4, but not 2.
Tags:grants
Reply Up