Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Find a Thread?
NeedaVaca 10:14 AM 04-21-2016
Can anyone help? I remember reading something on here that someone wrote explaining all kinds of day to day activities for kids but placing each of those into a "learning category". From what I remember it was quite lengthy and I wanted to read it again. Playing with Play Doh= Fine motor skills (example)

Does anyone else remember that? It was quite a while ago and for some reason I feel like it was humorous but also totally on point...
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Can anyone help? I remember reading something on here that someone wrote explaining all kinds of day to day activities for kids but placing each of those into a "learning category". From what I remember it was quite lengthy and I wanted to read it again. Playing with Play Doh= Fine motor skills (example)

Does anyone else remember that? It was quite a while ago and for some reason I feel like it was humorous but also totally on point...
I don't recall that off hand but post as much as you can remember and I'll see what I can do about finding it.

If you replied or not
If it was in a certain area of the forum
etc...
NeedaVaca 10:33 AM 04-21-2016
I'm not sure I remember much more and I really feel like it was possibly years ago! I don't think I commented. Maybe a parent complaining about not enough learning activities for the kids? So a provider broke down a whole bunch of normal daily activities super simple things and added a learning category to them. Science ( maybe making mud pies type of thing) , fine motor (play doh), etc...like she took the simplest of activities but gave them "fancy" names for the parents. sadly I can't recall much more but if anyone stumbles across it I would love to see that again. Thanks!

If we can't find the thread maybe we can just start a new one and every one can post their own ideas?
childcaremom 10:38 AM 04-21-2016
I think I remember this. It was documenting behaviours but wording it in a way that expressed the developmental goals or something similar?

I think it was a couple of months ago.
NeedaVaca 10:44 AM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
I think I remember this. It was documenting behaviours but wording it in a way that expressed the developmental goals or something similar?

I think it was a couple of months ago.
Thanks but no it wasn't behaviors, it was just activities kids do during the day and I'm thinking a year or more ago.
Sunshine74 10:54 AM 04-21-2016

I feel like I know what you are talking about. There was a section about block play and the different concepts the children were learning. I'll see what I can find.
childcaremom 10:55 AM 04-21-2016
Thanks but no it wasn't behaviors, it was just activities kids do during the day and I'm thinking a year or more ago.
I meant activities.... honestly don't know what happened to my brain today.

There was something not too long ago and I also remember one farther back. And someone wrote up a few different examples? One on the fine motor and I think I remember one on literacy or math skills?
childcaremom 10:55 AM 04-21-2016
And someone wrote up a few (lengthy) descriptions?

I wish we could save threads.
Cat Herder 10:57 AM 04-21-2016
Early Learning Standards?

Cognitive, Social, Small Motor, Large Motor, ect......
Michael 10:58 AM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
And someone wrote up a few (lengthy) descriptions?

I wish we could save threads.
You can subscribe to thread in the forum tools drop down on every thread. It's located on the right top, in the dark blue line.

Here are some threads on play dough: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=playdough

Try doing a TAG search https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php
NeedaVaca 11:01 AM 04-21-2016
I'm starting to think it was probably a parent that didn't understand play based learning so this provider made a list of how they are actually learning even when it's just simple day to day stuff but the way she wrote it was funny too and quite lengthy! Like it could have been a whole page!
Blackcat31 11:13 AM 04-21-2016
I'm starting to think it was probably a parent that didn't understand play based learning so this provider made a list of how they are actually learning even when it's just simple day to day stuff but the way she wrote it was funny too and quite lengthy! Like it could have been a whole page!
Probably not what you are looking for but here are a couple GREAT reads on play based learning

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77231

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...based+learning
Sunshine74 11:21 AM 04-21-2016
This thread has some good info in it.https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81432
childcaremom 12:09 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
You can subscribe to thread in the forum tools drop down on every thread. It's located on the right top, in the dark blue line.
Thank you!
childcaremom 12:11 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
This thread has some good info in it.https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81432
This is what I was referring to.
Unregistered 12:19 PM 04-21-2016
I wondered if it was anything I had written because I do like explaining the value of how children learn best from play. And I've written some lenghtly descriptions of activities and benefifs. But I don't think anything I have written has been intentionally humorous.. Not intentionally lol maybe if you were laughing at me - CalCare
I just wrote a 9-10 page research paper on the pushed down academics and the importance of play! You could say, it's an interest of mine!
NeedaVaca 12:48 PM 04-21-2016
Well thanks everyone, sorry if I led everyone on a wild goose chase lol, the links are all great but not the one I was looking for lol, it's ok, maybe one of these days I will happen upon it
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I wondered if it was anything I had written because I do like explaining the value of how children learn best from play. And I've written some lenghtly descriptions of activities and benefifs. But I don't think anything I have written has been intentionally humorous.. Not intentionally lol maybe if you were laughing at me - CalCare
I just wrote a 9-10 page research paper on the pushed down academics and the importance of play! You could say, it's an interest of mine!
^^^ this was my line of thinking too...NOT the part about being intentionally humorous...Just that your explanation (if it was your post she is referring to) of some of the benefits of play or what kids learn via specific activities was so simple that it was almost "Duh" worthy. So for me the humor was because I get it...not because of anything YOU (CalCare) said.

I seem to recall Calcare saying something similar to what you (OP) are looking for but since she posted as unregistered I can't search for it.
NeedaVaca 01:15 PM 04-21-2016
It wasn't like paragraphs explaining everything it was more like a list

But please don't feel the need to keep looking lol, I feel kinda bad!
Sunshine74 02:47 PM 04-21-2016
It wasn't like paragraphs explaining everything it was more like a list

But please don't feel the need to keep looking lol, I feel kinda bad!
Yes, I know exactly what you are talking about! I see it in my mind, but can't find the right search term. But at least you know it really does exist
.. LoL
Thriftylady 03:03 PM 04-21-2016
Well I for one wish I could afford to pay cal-care to write up for my pics on my facebook page. She is so good at it.
CalCare 05:08 PM 04-21-2016
oh my gosh, what!? thank you Thriftylady That's so sweet.
Tags:forum question, forum question - finding threads, lesson plans
Reply Up