Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Columbus Day
amebree 06:43 AM 10-05-2010
How many of you are staying open for Columbus Day? I have always taken it off but it seems like a lot of people work.
momma2girls 11:11 AM 10-05-2010
I don't have it off- I am doing back up care for 2 other children on that day, that their childcare facility or in home has off!!
SunflowerMama 11:44 AM 10-05-2010
I'm open that day.
misol 11:48 AM 10-05-2010
I added Columbus Day as one of my paid holidays when I found out that the majority of my families had at least one parent with that day off but still sent the kids. Heck, I wanted to be off too so now I am closed in that holiday.
MarinaVanessa 11:49 AM 10-05-2010
I decided to stay open since my fiance has to work, therefore I have no reason to be closed even if it is one of my paid holidays. Plus all of my DC families work this day too.
momofsix 11:57 AM 10-05-2010
Open, I only close Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
kendallina 12:26 PM 10-05-2010
I'm open. Most of my families work at the university in town and they have to work that day. I just followed the university's schedule for holidays to close.
melskids 01:17 PM 10-05-2010
i'm open. i only have 3 SA sheduled for the day. we are going pumpkin picking and out for pizza. all of the other families who are off are joining us too! it'll be nice for me, cause i will only have 3 older kids to supervise, all of the little kids will have a parent w/ them.
tenderhearts 01:25 PM 10-05-2010
I stay open and I have only one parent off that day.
Lucy 02:12 PM 10-05-2010
I'm open. It's not normally a holiday that everyone gets off. I just take the common ones that EVERYONE has off.

New Year's Day
Memorial Day
4th of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Day
Day before or after Christmas (depending on when it falls)

For vacations, I either take a full week (about once every 3 years), or I take about 5 Fridays so we can do weekend trips. I've only "called in" sick twice in 16 years. Parents love me, because I'm dependable. I make my doctor appts. in the evenings or on Saturdays. My vacation and holiday schedule is given out in mid-December, and very very rarely changes. My families pay monthly tuition, so I feel it's my obligation to be here.

Ok, that's way more than you asked LOL. I couldn't stop typing!!
newtodaycare22 04:51 PM 10-05-2010
I take off all government holidays. I live near Dc though...and at least one parent in each of my dc families works for the government. So...they are home
DanceMom 05:37 AM 10-06-2010
I am open - all of my families work as far as I know , but If i find out they don't - I will be closing !
marniewon 09:41 AM 10-06-2010
As far as I know, my families have to work that day also. It's not one of my paid holidays, so if they don't have to work, I guess I get the day off anyway I have great parents who, if they don't work, keep their kids home with them! Both these families work at banks, so I guess it's possible that they won't have to work that day! Guess i should ask
Lacy 12:43 PM 10-04-2016
I have been a childcare provider for over 20 yrs. my have times changed. Is it me or have my parents become ruder? There here on time and come late to pick the children up. Parents follow rules on my contract when its convenient for them and want to question me if I'm closed on a certain day or not. I love all the children but I am really going to buckle down on late fees and everything else, parents will not do as they please in my business. Getting frustrated and may find a new job because of the wicked parents..... I hate being (MEAN), I'm closed every Govt Holiday so why do they ask am I open for Columbus Day? Really
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by Lacy:
I have been a childcare provider for over 20 yrs. my have times changed. Is it me or have my parents become ruder? There here on time and come late to pick the children up. Parents follow rules on my contract when its convenient for them and want to question me if I'm closed on a certain day or not. I love all the children but I am really going to buckle down on late fees and everything else, parents will not do as they please in my business. Getting frustrated and may find a new job because of the wicked parents..... I hate being (MEAN), I'm closed every Govt Holiday so why do they ask am I open for Columbus Day? Really
Probably because it's a federal holiday and since child care isn't a federal office, many parents don't realize their child care provider might take the day off as well.

It's 50/50 around here. Some providers close and others don't. I don't close. Public school is still open and I follow the school schedule fairly closely so I can totally understand why they would ask.
e.j. 02:20 PM 10-04-2016
Same here; some providers close for Columbus Day and others choose to remain open. I take the day as a paid holiday and would much rather have parents ask me if I'm closed than have them assume I'm open and show up on my door step bright and early that day. I do post a reminder on the door about a week ahead of time so parents can see it as they enter/exit. It helps!
Play Care 02:54 AM 10-05-2016
Originally Posted by Lacy:
That is frustrating! Where I live every school, government office, and post offices, are all closed for every federal holiday. But it's hit or miss if private businesses are closed.
They may legitimately have to work and forget you're closed. In those cases I usually mention to those clients that perhaps a day care center would be a better fit.
I'm do my best to be as reliable as possible when parents are working, but I need time to get other things done too.
I sometimes find parents want the lower tuition of the in home with all the services of a center, but I'm only one person.
Tags:columbus day, days off, holidays
Reply Up