Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did anyone see this video?
UtahMomma 03:00 PM 08-03-2013
http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/par...ns/40069699799

I'm glad my state requires all of the licensing
Starburst 03:41 PM 08-03-2013
That's one reason why I keep wanting to not care for infants younger than 6 months (higher risk of SIDS). This is also why I keep wanting to say something to the mom I babysit for. She has a newborn (about 3 months) baby girl and during the day they have her nap on a boppy on a love seat, slightly on her side and they put a bunch of blankets and sometimes even stuffed animals on her (they do have a AC in that room though). She's a stay at home mom but before that she worked in the medical field, so sometimes I think, "What is she thinking!" especially because she did have some issues towards the end of her pregnancy.

I'm sure at night they put her in the crib in the bedroom on her back but onetime the baby's older brother (about 2) tried to climb in her crib and I stopped him (he was doing it in a dangerous way anyway) and he started crying (lately he's been crying a lot when I stop him from doing anything dangerous) and ran to his mom (his mom and/or grandma are always home when I babysit, ugh) and she told me it was okay for him to go in there! That scares me thinking about all the germs he could bring into the crib and yet she still always wants me to wash my hands and put a blanket over myself before holding the baby (I'm sure I have better hygiene habits than a 2 year old). All of this stuff just totally goes against everything they tell you about SIDS prevention (except the hand washing).

Okay enough of my rant...
Patches 03:55 PM 08-03-2013
That is a sad story. She looked like a sweet little baby.
craftymissbeth 04:54 PM 08-03-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
That's one reason why I keep wanting to not care for infants younger than 6 months (higher risk of SIDS). This is also why I keep wanting to say something to the mom I babysit for. She has a newborn (about 3 months) baby girl and during the day they have her nap on a boppy on a love seat, slightly on her side and they put a bunch of blankets and sometimes even stuffed animals on her (they do have a AC in that room though). She's a stay at home mom but before that she worked in the medical field, so sometimes I think, "What is she thinking!" especially because she did have some issues towards the end of her pregnancy.

I'm sure at night they put her in the crib in the bedroom on her back but onetime the baby's older brother (about 2) tried to climb in her crib and I stopped him (he was doing it in a dangerous way anyway) and he started crying (lately he's been crying a lot when I stop him from doing anything dangerous) and ran to his mom (his mom and/or grandma are always home when I babysit, ugh) and she told me it was okay for him to go in there! That scares me thinking about all the germs he could bring into the crib and yet she still always wants me to wash my hands and put a blanket over myself before holding the baby (I'm sure I have better hygiene habits than a 2 year old). All of this stuff just totally goes against everything they tell you about SIDS prevention (except the hand washing).

Okay enough of my rant...
When I was nannying I had to put my foot down. No, I will NOT just put your 5 month old in her crib with a bottle of milk for her naps. Yes, I WILL take out ALL of the blankets and stuffed animals you have thrown into her crib while she's in there. No, I will NOT let her 3 year old sister go in and out of her bedroom while she's in her crib. No, I will NOT simply tuck a bunch of blankets around her and let her sleep on the couch.

Ugh.

I refused to do anything that I believed dangerous simply because I was their employee. I wasn't rude about it, but I had to explain over and over and over again until I was blue in the face that I do NOT mess around when it comes to babies sleeping.

My nephew died from SIDS. I just don't mess around with it!

Not to mention that if something awful ever were to happen I didn't want them to come back and say the nanny was the one caring for my child when it happened. Yeah, nuh uh, don't think so!
blandino 05:52 PM 08-03-2013
I'm going to play devils advocate a little bit. NOT defending the daycare provider at all, really truly not. It is totally unacceptable to have an infant on a mattress and have drugs in the home.

But the point of the article that examines tightening regulations on home daycares bothered me. Yes, the parents were serious in their search for childcare, and yes Virginia allows unlicensed childcare. But they also DO have the option to be licensed. So there ARE licensed, monitored home daycares that these parents could have chosen. But they made the choice to go with an unmonitored childcare home. So to crack down on all daycares, is a really sore spot for me.

Clearly, these are really sad, unfortunate, events - but I don't like the direction the blame is going.
UtahMomma 05:57 PM 08-03-2013
:/ I have an unhealthy fear of SIDS with my now 4 month old. I'm constantly checking on her when she sleeps. I don't know what I would do with myself if a DCK passed away in my care.
Starburst 12:26 AM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
When I was nannying I had to put my foot down. No, I will NOT just put your 5 month old in her crib with a bottle of milk for her naps. Yes, I WILL take out ALL of the blankets and stuffed animals you have thrown into her crib while she's in there. No, I will NOT let her 3 year old sister go in and out of her bedroom while she's in her crib. No, I will NOT simply tuck a bunch of blankets around her and let her sleep on the couch.

Ugh.

I refused to do anything that I believed dangerous simply because I was their employee. I wasn't rude about it, but I had to explain over and over and over again until I was blue in the face that I do NOT mess around when it comes to babies sleeping.

My nephew died from SIDS. I just don't mess around with it!

Not to mention that if something awful ever were to happen I didn't want them to come back and say the nanny was the one caring for my child when it happened. Yeah, nuh uh, don't think so!
The real problem is that they are always there when I am babysitting, otherwise I would just put the baby in the crib to sleep on her back and let big brother scream all he wants if he's crying because he doesn't get his way. If the mom is not their then grandma is always there. Parents think its easier on you and the child when they are there too but it actually harder because the kids know what they can get away with in front of the parents. That's why the older one keeps crying when he doesn't get his way- for attention from his mom or grandma so he can get what he wants. And any time he cries the grandma says "why you crying?" and tries to comfort him; I understand she's his grandma and wants to make him happy but its frustrating because he is learning to get away with it and mom does that too sometimes though she will be a little tougher on him at times. Plus, even though the mom and dad speak perfect English, they are from another culture and I don't want to offend them if that is some type of cultural tradition.
Starburst 12:33 AM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by UtahMomma:
:/ I have an unhealthy fear of SIDS with my now 4 month old. I'm constantly checking on her when she sleeps. I don't know what I would do with myself if a DCK passed away in my care.
Oh trust me I don't have kids and I am afraid of SIDS too (I have depression and anxiety). The last time I babysat when she was napping I kept staring at her making sure she was still breathing when it was just me and the grandma, I'm sure grandma thinks I'm crazy, luckily baby never slept for more than 1/2 hour at a time when I was there and most of the time I was holding her (they said she can't fall asleep alone ). One time I babysat an older baby (almost a year old) who had the sniffles and when he was asleep I listened by the door every 5 minutes to make sure he was still breathing (he was kinda wheezy so it was easy to hear). I don't picture myself taking a break at nap time when I open, I'd probably more panicked during that time.
Starburst 12:50 AM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I'm going to play devils advocate a little bit. NOT defending the daycare provider at all, really truly not. It is totally unacceptable to have an infant on a mattress and have drugs in the home.

But the point of the article that examines tightening regulations on home daycares bothered me. Yes, the parents were serious in their search for childcare, and yes Virginia allows unlicensed childcare. But they also DO have the option to be licensed. So there ARE licensed, monitored home daycares that these parents could have chosen. But they made the choice to go with an unmonitored childcare home. So to crack down on all daycares, is a really sore spot for me.

Clearly, these are really sad, unfortunate, events - but I don't like the direction the blame is going.
I agree with that too. They did do their own background check but it said she used a different alias (she made up a name), which would have been harder to do if she had to be licensed. Though, I know there are providers out there who are not licensed but still run good home child care programs and still do everything by the book. But from how it looks, they knew ahead of time that she wasn't licensed and they should have done more research on the pros and cons of licensed care vs. unlicensed care (or any care for that matter) and unfortunately for them they chose the wrong person to trust with their child. Bad things do happen in both licensed and unlicensed child care homes, it all comes down to the individual who runs it and the individuals who work there. And sometimes just dumb luck.
blandino 06:40 AM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I agree with that too. They did do their own background check but it said she used a different alias (she made up a name), which would have been harder to do if she had to be licensed. Though, I know there are providers out there who are not licensed but still run good home child care programs and still do everything by the book. But from how it looks, they knew ahead of time that she wasn't licensed and they should have done more research on the pros and cons of licensed care vs. unlicensed care (or any care for that matter) and unfortunately for them they chose the wrong person to trust with their child. Bad things do happen in both licensed and unlicensed child care homes, it all comes down to the individual who runs it and the individuals who work there. And sometimes just dumb luck.
Absolutely agree ! I am actually a believer in daycares being able to be unlicensed if they choose. My state allows for NO unlicensed options, and I really don't like the system. So I am definitely not against unlicensed daycares, if they are legal.

It just bothers me that this news piece and the parents are up in arms about licensing standards when they were the ones who chose the unlicensed option, and are now angry about the daycare not being monitored by the state.
daycarediva 07:03 AM 08-04-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Absolutely agree ! I am actually a believer in daycares being able to be unlicensed if they choose. My state allows for NO unlicensed options, and I really don't like the system. So I am definitely not against unlicensed daycares, if they are legal.

It just bothers me that this news piece and the parents are up in arms about licensing standards when they were the ones who chose the unlicensed option, and are now angry about the daycare not being monitored by the state.
ITA I am so sorry for their loss, but at the same time, did they ask to see where the baby was sleeping? Did they use a licensed home? Did they ask what her sids training was?

Here I have sleeping agreement forms for parents, and they have to sign off on where, when and on/in what their child/ren will be sleeping while in my care.
Angelsj 09:16 AM 08-04-2013
People need to use safe practices. I am not condoning the random sleeping of infants or using unsafe practices.
HOWEVER, millions of infants spend countless hours in daycare. Often these hours add to at least equal numbers to the hours spent in the parents' care. It is terrible, but infants are going to die in daycare, just like they are going to die in a parent's care.

We all want them to stay safe, but I don't think babies are dying any more in daycare than in their homes (in fact, the numbers are higher in parental care.) It's just that these, and particularly these where the provider was doing something stupid, get more attention. I don't know if more regulation is really going to help, especially if the provider knows best practice and chooses to ignore it anyway.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
People need to use safe practices. I am not condoning the random sleeping of infants or using unsafe practices.
HOWEVER, millions of infants spend countless hours in daycare. Often these hours add to at least equal numbers to the hours spent in the parents' care. It is terrible, but infants are going to die in daycare, just like they are going to die in a parent's care.

We all want them to stay safe, but I don't think babies are dying any more in daycare than in their homes (in fact, the numbers are higher in parental care.) It's just that these, and particularly these where the provider was doing something stupid, get more attention. I don't know if more regulation is really going to help, especially if the provider knows best practice and chooses to ignore it anyway.
This is what I find the most troubling. I KNOW providers and parents who DO know safe sleep practices and what they should and shouldn't do as far as where and how an infant is placed to sleep, sadly though I see a continual disregard of these practices every day.

It is unfortunate that child cares get the spot light when this happens but it is only further proof that we as providers DO need to go above and beyond in regards to safe "everything" (sleep, play, eating etc) when we are caring for other people's children.

I am VERY strict about what I will and won't do in regards to infant care in my program. I don't allow car seats to be brought in, left or used in car, I don't use ANY infant equipment and I follow ALL safe sleep practices...to the point of terming if I get an infant that I can't train to sleep properly or parents who continually disregard safe sleep practices and refuse to work with me in helping the child learn to sleep.
MyAngels 09:07 AM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:

Actually, the number of SIDS deaths in child care has been shown to be disproportionately high. Based on the numbers it should be about 7% but is actually about 20%. This just highlights how careful parents need to be when selecting providers for their babies. It's heartbreaking to hear these kinds of stories, but I think they could be reduced if the parents would just ask the right kinds of questions and then follow up to be sure their providers are actually doing what they've said they will.

http://www.joe.org/joe/2011april/rb3.php
Tags:death, sids
Reply Up