Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Homeschool Or Not To Homeschool?
Sprouts 04:50 PM 02-01-2012

Obviously this is a personal choice I need to make but since I value all of your opinions and experience I feel like this is the right place for advice!

Okay so my daughter should be entering kindergarten next year, in ny they legally don't have to be in school until 1st grade though.

My husband and I have been contemplating homeschooling ideas, I think it will be a lot of fun and I know there are many ways to socialize your child, it's not always us being stuck at home. On the other hand I have my 15 month old, and I am Expecting! Yup, just found out, so another prego on this forum!
So I feel like I may be overwhelmed too and I also have to worry about my child care downstairs....which may help I guess since I have assistants if I needed to have 1 on 1 time I could....but I don't know...

So for those of you, specially those with homeschooling experience while running a child care whats your advice?..
Heidi 04:54 PM 02-01-2012
Everything has it's challenges, of course, but I love having my son home this year. We switched to homeshooling at the 1st of the year, and he is in 5th grade.

My son had a lot of school related anxiety. He is very bright, but definately marches to a different drummer!
cheerfuldom 05:30 PM 02-01-2012
I will be homeschooling beginning next year but am not pregnant. I guess you need to figure out what all you will be able to handle. thats a decision only you can make. Have you explored your local schooling options and even seen what all is out there? Can you start kinder curriculum early or later and accommodate the extra time needed around the new baby's birth?
Beach Baby 06:37 PM 02-01-2012
I home schooled my son for first grade. He had a hard time transitioning from a smaller, private school to public; plus the transition from kinder to first. We used connections academy, a virtual school. I was happy we chose that, because it took a lot of stress off of me as far as lesson plans and making sure he was on track with his peers, etc. He went back to public school for 2nd grade because I had a newborn and his younger brother was also starting prek. My son is in 3rd this year and loves school and his teacher. I am glad I chose to homeschool when he needed me to. I didn't have a daycare at the time, and was not watching any kids, other than my own, so it was easy for me to spend as much time as needed with him for schoolwork. Kinder may not be so bad, but as work starts to get more complicated, you may find it hard to find the time to devote to teaching her. Of course, only you know what you can handle and what would be best for her!
Sprouts 10:05 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by MamaNik:
I home schooled my son for first grade. He had a hard time transitioning from a smaller, private school to public; plus the transition from kinder to first. We used connections academy, a virtual school. I was happy we chose that, because it took a lot of stress off of me as far as lesson plans and making sure he was on track with his peers, etc. He went back to public school for 2nd grade because I had a newborn and his younger brother was also starting prek. My son is in 3rd this year and loves school and his teacher. I am glad I chose to homeschool when he needed me to. I didn't have a daycare at the time, and was not watching any kids, other than my own, so it was easy for me to spend as much time as needed with him for schoolwork. Kinder may not be so bad, but as work starts to get more complicated, you may find it hard to find the time to devote to teaching her. Of course, only you know what you can handle and what would be best for her!
I checked out the school but it's so expensive , but thank you. I will keep checking
Beach Baby 10:37 PM 02-01-2012
Really? We didn't pay anything for him to go to school there. Ahh I see now that you are in NY and they only offer private school for your state. Sorry about that. Not sure how you would feel, but I think I would be comfortable enough doing my own kinder lesson plans. Be sure to check for local homeschoolers, maybe you could meet up with some or just get some good info/ideas from them.
Beach Baby 10:38 PM 02-01-2012
Oh, and check with your public school as well! Ours recently started a virtual school for homeschoolers, so they could be on the same page as their peers and could jump right in if they would decide to go to traditional school.
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 02-02-2012
Check out http://www.k12.com/nyva/

I promise you will not regret it. My kids, DH and I did this until junior high. They IMMEDIATELY qualified for gifted services and are still in them two years after leaving K12. Doing this together made us a very tight knit family.

My DH taught Tues + Thurs and took them on In State field trips weekly. I did Mon, Wed, Fri and did BIG trips on my two week vacations.. Washington D.C., NYC Museums/Theaters, Atlanta Shakespeare Theatre/Museums/Emory University/CDC, Boston Harbor, Everglades, Keys, Maine State Parks, Battle Fields, College Campus's, National Cemeteries, Savannah Water Ways, Aquariums, Nature Centers and pretty much the entire East Coast to go along with the curriculum. If they seemed interested, we went. We are still planning a trip to Salem, Mass for Halloween.... If I win the lottery, I'll take them to the West Coast, next....otherwise, they can do that with their own.

I'd not give up this experience for anything. It was the best decision I made next to actually HAVING my kids.

I would have LOVED to continue through high school, but the extracurriculars were not well coordinated locally ...there were more resources available through the public brick and mortar schools.

In New York you should have so many more opportunities not available to public schoolers, though...
Countrygal 08:44 AM 02-02-2012
I've homeschooled for a total of about 23 years so far and am currently hsing my gs in K

Obviously, I love it.

A couple of things I always say to people who are contemplating hsing....

Those are the best suggestions I've come up with for those contemplating taking the plunge! Obviously, running a daycare and hsing adds another dimension to the mix. You have to decide how much you can handle. There have been a couple of good threads on this very recently, might be worth a search!

Here's a site I've found very helpful!
http://www.homeschoolspot.com/ They have a great forum similar to this one!
Hope it helps a little!
AmyLeigh 12:05 PM 02-02-2012
When I started hs'ing my oldest, I had a 2 yo and was pregnant! So I have BTDT. Take it easy with K. Keep it simple and have fun. I found breaking up the work throughout the day worked for me that first year. Just 10 minutes here and there can accomplish a lot without overwhelming you or your student.

I have never regretted my decision to hs, and would miss my kids terribly if they went to school. I have learned and grown more through this experience than any other I have had.
Countrygal 12:57 PM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
When I started hs'ing my oldest, I had a 2 yo and was pregnant! So I have BTDT. Take it easy with K. Keep it simple and have fun. I found breaking up the work throughout the day worked for me that first year. Just 10 minutes here and there can accomplish a lot without overwhelming you or your student.

I have never regretted my decision to hs, and would miss my kids terribly if they went to school. I have learned and grown more through this experience than any other I have had.

Preschool/daycare teacher 05:14 PM 02-02-2012
I was homeschooled all the way through highschool. I highly recommend it! Just a couple bits of advice: It would be much better on your daughter if you started out homeschooling and then decide to place her in school than if you started her in school and then pulled her out to homeschool. In public school children are used to being told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. They have an emotionally un-involved party to answer to if they do not do their work. Public school is a whole different life for a child than homeschool. The children would need to be brought up and used to seeing their parents as the only ones they have to listen to for schooling, and have to respect them as the only authority figures, since they can't be sent to a principal, or have to answer to anyone else for uncompleted, sloppy, or lazy school work.
It worked really well for me, I think I loved being homeschooled. The flexibility it offered was great!
My structured curriculum schooling didn't even begin until I was in 3rd grade. Before that my mom was able to work in what I needed to know throughout the day through whatever we were doing that day. I remember some practice books that we'd work in sometimes, but those times were limited to just a few minutes a day, so I wasn't burned out on school yet when I entered 3rd grade. By then I was ready to go at it! I'd grab my curriculum workbooks and work on them in my room until it was finished. then I'd have the rest of the day to do "fun" stuff. I can even remember getting up really early in the morning, before my mom got up, to do my work. Then by the time she got up and told me to get started, I'd be about finished and ready for some play time! It taught me to be extremely self-disciplined and to think ahead, past the right here and now. We could take a day off as needed and do double the next day, or start earlier or later in the school year to accomodate any days/weeks we'd be taking off during the school year. Including vacations during the off season where there's smaller crowds, cheaper hotels, gas, etc. I plan to homeschool my children!

Back to your main worry: I think it would be fine to start your daughter out in Kindergarten (using a play-based approach, by the way lol) and take time off when you have your baby. You can always extend the schooling into the summer if needed, and in Kindergarten you can easily do the play based approach, so your daughter would never notice that she was doing "school" instead of getting to play all through the summer days Homeschooling can be so much more relaxed in the younger grades, so a newborn wouldn't even affect it at all.

If you have any questions about homeschooling, feel free to pm me!
Sprouts 06:51 PM 02-02-2012
Thank you all for the really detailed and great advice, i am going to print and keep a copy for future reference

I am just curious to Amy and pre-school and daycare teacher, were you providing childcare at the same time or was your mother (preschool teacher) providing childcare? I am seriously contemplating if I want to continue with my childcare or just sell our house and downsize so we can afford to live on just my husbands income. ....

And also how did all of you deal with unsupportive family members?

Even though they do give us good advice i do feel like telling them to shetup too
busymommy0420 07:31 PM 02-02-2012
I am seriously considering home schooling my daughters. They are two now and I will be looking into more information soon. I love the idea of my girls being home with me.
Countrygal 04:33 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I was homeschooled all the way through highschool. I highly recommend it! Just a couple bits of advice: It would be much better on your daughter if you started out homeschooling and then decide to place her in school than if you started her in school and then pulled her out to homeschool. In public school children are used to being told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. They have an emotionally un-involved party to answer to if they do not do their work. Public school is a whole different life for a child than homeschool. The children would need to be brought up and used to seeing their parents as the only ones they have to listen to for schooling, and have to respect them as the only authority figures, since they can't be sent to a principal, or have to answer to anyone else for uncompleted, sloppy, or lazy school work.
It worked really well for me, I think I loved being homeschooled. The flexibility it offered was great!
My structured curriculum schooling didn't even begin until I was in 3rd grade. Before that my mom was able to work in what I needed to know throughout the day through whatever we were doing that day. I remember some practice books that we'd work in sometimes, but those times were limited to just a few minutes a day, so I wasn't burned out on school yet when I entered 3rd grade. By then I was ready to go at it! I'd grab my curriculum workbooks and work on them in my room until it was finished. then I'd have the rest of the day to do "fun" stuff. I can even remember getting up really early in the morning, before my mom got up, to do my work. Then by the time she got up and told me to get started, I'd be about finished and ready for some play time! It taught me to be extremely self-disciplined and to think ahead, past the right here and now. We could take a day off as needed and do double the next day, or start earlier or later in the school year to accomodate any days/weeks we'd be taking off during the school year. Including vacations during the off season where there's smaller crowds, cheaper hotels, gas, etc. I plan to homeschool my children!

Back to your main worry: I think it would be fine to start your daughter out in Kindergarten (using a play-based approach, by the way lol) and take time off when you have your baby. You can always extend the schooling into the summer if needed, and in Kindergarten you can easily do the play based approach, so your daughter would never notice that she was doing "school" instead of getting to play all through the summer days Homeschooling can be so much more relaxed in the younger grades, so a newborn wouldn't even affect it at all.

If you have any questions about homeschooling, feel free to pm me!
It's really nice to get some feedback from someone who was homeschooled. Recently my oldest dd who is 33 and I had the discussion about what she thought of being hsed. She said she was glad she had been and gave many of the same reasons you did, the principal one being taught to be self-disciplined and learning to think for herself!
AmyLeigh 03:23 PM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Thank you all for the really detailed and great advice, i am going to print and keep a copy for future reference

I am just curious to Amy and pre-school and daycare teacher, were you providing childcare at the same time or was your mother (preschool teacher) providing childcare? I am seriously contemplating if I want to continue with my childcare or just sell our house and downsize so we can afford to live on just my husbands income. ....

Even though they do give us good advice i do feel like telling them to shetup too
I was not doing daycare when dd stared with the virtual academy. Daycare is a way I can help with the household expenses while staying home to homeschool.
As far as family is concerned.... is how I feel about it. My sister has homeschooled all 4 of her children ages 23-14. None of them stepped foot in a school. Yet, my mother still does not agree with homeschooling. She just doesn't understand it. That's okay. We agree to disagree on the subject. It's my and my dh's decision. End of discussion.
Sprouts 05:04 PM 02-03-2012
Did most of you decide to homeschool for religious reasons or any other reasons?
Michael 02:55 AM 02-04-2012
We felt we could do a better job, and we did.
Countrygal 07:19 AM 02-04-2012
Well, I started over milk.....

I did want a Christ-centered education for my children, but that honestly wasn't the main reason. The main reason was because while dealing with the school and my daughter being lactose intolerant the principal AND administrator of the schools in our area at that time (this was the early 80's) told me that while the children were in school they were wards of the state and the parents had no rights (during school hours). Besides it being just plain not true, I couldn't BELIEVE they actually used the words "wards of the state"!!! That's what really made up my mind for me.

But I just needed a catalyst. I think I had already decided. I knew it was what was best for my kids.....
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:17 PM 02-04-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
We felt we could do a better job, and we did.
Do you mean you homeschooled? I love finding so many other people who homeschooled!
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:36 PM 02-04-2012

No, my mom wasn't doing childcare. But a LOT of our friend's families were big families with young children not old enough to do school yet, and they did just fine, even with the younger ones under foot the whole time. How many children are in your group? If you worked on everything straight through, you could probably even get it all done at nap time. But there's a lot that could be accomplished even during the day. What about free play periods? Are your daycare children able to play on their own without a lot of interaction from you? Could you and your daughter work on anything then? At such a young age, starting out, all you need is just a few minutes here and there during the day. By the time she got older, she'd be more able to do things on her own without needing so much time from you and you'd be able to run the daycare at the same time.
As for unsupportive family members, Several people thought we wouldn't get any schooling, and her dad (my grandpa) wasn't even all for it to begin with, but he soon saw that we were learning the same things as children in school, and came around soon. And then was the biggest cheerleader for homeschooling. This is a decision for you and your husband to make together. If he is okay with it, and you both feel it's the best thing for your family, then don't worry about other people.
But do remember my advice of how much easier it is to put your daughter into public school later if it doesn't work, than it would be to take her out later on and start homeschooling.
Sprouts 01:02 PM 02-08-2012
I have 6 kids total (2 mine) at the moment, and a great assistant so i think i could manage.

My husband and I visited the elementary school today with our daughter and although it seemed okay i got a slight phony feel and what turned us off was how little time they have for lunch (30 minutes) and gym (2 times a week, 40 min)...and recess was only 25-30 min.....

we have yet to visit the private christian school..but doubt we could afford that....

ahhh decisions decisions.....
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:57 PM 02-08-2012
I have 6 kids total (2 mine) at the moment, and a great assistant so i think i could manage.

My husband and I visited the elementary school today with our daughter and although it seemed okay i got a slight phony feel and what turned us off was how little time they have for lunch (30 minutes) and gym (2 times a week, 40 min)...and recess was only 25-30 min.....

we have yet to visit the private christian school..but doubt we could afford that....

ahhh decisions decisions.....
I feel for you, trying to decide what to do, if you aren't sure which you want. I don't know about the schools around you, but here, the public schools are awful with the things that go on. It may not be so bad in Kindergarten, but as the child gets older, it gets worse. Plus the children don't seem to be taught normal school curriculum anymore around here. Some schools even put on their website that their main focus is on testing the children for the state. That's pretty much all public school is around here, teaching them how to take tests.

Sadly, the amount of time your local school allows for lunch and for recess would actually be considered good around here. The students here only get 30 minutes total to eat AND have recess. So if the child wants longer to play, they just scarf their food down, or don't eat at all. As they progress through elementary school, their recess/lunch time shortens each year. After 5th grade there's no recess at all, and only 15 min for lunch. The students are in school from 8:15 am -3 pm (for elementary. Middle and Highschool students are there longer), and then all grade levels (except Kindergarten) have a lot of homework (I used to work at the After school program at one of the schools, so I got a lot of information from teachers and subs there. And I could see the tons of homework for myself, since we always had to have them do their homework there.

Good luck in your decision! I vote homeschool (But I may be a bit biased...)
AnneCordelia 06:16 PM 02-08-2012
I was unschooled and loved it!! My siblings and I were all unschooled. All five of us have post-secondary education, with three of us achieving academic scholarships to fund it.

It was a great experience for us! My sister and I attended public school through grade 4 before my parents pulled us and gave us a year to decompress from being in the system. We had opportunities that never would have been granted us in a public school setting and are grateful for the experience.

I am not currently home schooling my own children, although I do sieze life with the attitude that the public school system is a resource that I utilize while it is working for us. Should it stop working for us, then I have no qualms with changing our schooling situation.
Countrygal 04:34 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I was unschooled and loved it!! My siblings and I were all unschooled. All five of us have post-secondary education, with three of us achieving academic scholarships to fund it.

I am not currently home schooling my own children, although I do sieze life with the attitude that the public school system is a resource that I utilize while it is working for us. Should it stop working for us, then I have no qualms with changing our schooling situation.
This is a wonderful way to approach it!

Sprouts -

remember, a homeschool should not last 8 hours at any grade, let alone K!! It will be many years before you need to give even five or six hours to your schooler - maybe when you have two

My K takes me 1 1/2 hours. I am currently schooling him with daycare. I do it during nap time. I use a curriculum for math and reading ( he's a little advanced - I wouldn't normally recommend ANY curriculum at this age. MY son didn't read til he was almost 7 ), some workbooks and work the rest into my daycare. They all love to watch the simple science experiments and read the history stories with us!
Tags:homeschool
Reply Up