Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack and Plays?
marniewon 06:16 AM 11-29-2010
Has anyone else ever had a kid pull up the bottom part of the pack and play? The more rigid "mattress" part? How do you keep these down so the kids can't pull them up? Even the 13mo can pull it up (and it's heavy!) and then is standing on the very flexible part of the pnp, and I'm concerned the child will get hurt or the fabric will rip and my pnp will be useless.
ddnanny13 06:34 AM 11-29-2010
If you can sew than you can put ribbons on each corner of the mattress and then tie them at the corners like a crib bumper. Had to do that with the cushions of my couch.
DCMom 06:48 AM 11-29-2010
I have Graco PNP's; the two older models have velcro tabs that feed through the bottom to a velcro hook on the bottom of the crib. The newer model has molded corners that the mattress fits under and 'snaps' into, so to speak.

Using these features I have never had a child pick up the mattress.
marniewon 06:50 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I have Graco PNP's; the two older models have velcro tabs that feed through the bottom to a velcro hook on the bottom of the crib. The newer model has molded corners that the mattress fits under and 'snaps' into, so to speak.

Hmmm.....these "mattresses" have extra velcro (over what is needed to secure it in the folded up position) - I'll have to investigate a little bit - maybe there is a way to tie/velcro mine down too!
MarinaVanessa 07:12 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:

Mine have velcro also and I've also never had this issue. If you have older models that don't come with velcro you can always sew velcro straps onto the "mattress" and cut slits into the bottom of the pack and play and then velcro the traps around the legs or a support etc. If you cut slits in the bottom I would recommend doing this after applying an iron-on patch or something of the like to keep the nylon-like pack-n-play material from fraying and tearing.
Live and Learn 07:25 AM 11-29-2010
mine are all older Graco pnp with the Velcro tapes on the mattress that fit through slots in the bottom of the bed. I would call the customer service phone # if yours doesn't have these tabs or something like it. That sounds dangerous...maybe they can tell you how to fix the problem.
countrymom 07:28 AM 11-29-2010
velcro doesn't stop this one kid, he loves to sleep on the hard part, I have no idea why.
marniewon 11:44 AM 11-29-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
mine are all older Graco pnp with the Velcro tapes on the mattress that fit through slots in the bottom of the bed. I would call the customer service phone # if yours doesn't have these tabs or something like it. That sounds dangerous...maybe they can tell you how to fix the problem.
I am really laughing at myself here!! In the 2 1/2 years I've been using this pnp, I had no idea it had velcro straps to secure the mattress!! I checked, and yep, it does!! Some days I have to wonder where my brain cells are hiding!
Live and Learn 03:12 PM 11-29-2010
I didn't figure it outright away either.
ninosqueridos 07:11 PM 11-29-2010
Don't feel bad - I just discovered that 2 months ago after 8 years of using these things and having my dcg pick up the mattress part and throw it out of the pnp.
Unregistered 03:33 AM 11-30-2010
It is a pain in the butt, those velcro straps, because if you put any type of pillowcase type cover over the pad, they won't work unless slits are incorporated into the cover to feed the velcro strap thru. Those little pads are not very soft and comfy and not the easiest to clean. I can't imagine using them without some type of cover over them. I use either a pillowcase type cover or wrap them in a sheet and had to put slits in them.
legomom922 04:39 AM 11-30-2010
The dcb I had used to do that too. He was able to pull the velcro tabs off and they were the ones that would go through the slits too. He was also my PNP rocker...I have no answers for you as I couldn't stop this one either. I then got a 6 panel playyard to put him in there and that didnt work either..he would puch it, rock it, so much that he bent it...That was the last straw and I terminated him...Too destructive...
Unregistered 07:46 AM 07-25-2017
So, I deal with the same issue! My little girl just loves nothing more than to rip up the mattress to the playpen that I've just remade for the hundredth time. Today I decided will be the last day she does this. I started looking up ideas and I came by one about the velcro strips. I located those and decided it wouldn't be enough to stop her. Then, I noticed something I hadn't before...on the mattress bottom in each corner side there are these little snap button things. You take those and thread them through the bottom of the playpen and under each leg bar there is the button to press it onto. Just fixed it that way and BAM she's been very unsuccessful at pulling it up.
hwichlaz 10:39 AM 07-25-2017
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Hmmm.....these "mattresses" have extra velcro (over what is needed to secure it in the folded up position) - I'll have to investigate a little bit - maybe there is a way to tie/velcro mine down too!
that's exactly what the velcro is for. There are holes in the bottom of the pack n play that look like sewn button holes. push the velcro tabs through them and you'll find that there is velcro under there for them to grab on to.
AmyKidsCo 01:13 PM 07-25-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
that's exactly what the velcro is for. There are holes in the bottom of the pack n play that look like sewn button holes. push the velcro tabs through them and you'll find that there is velcro under there for them to grab on to.
Yup. Pull it as tight as you can then push it together hard.

And liberal use of "NO. Leave that DOWN." might help too.
Tags:pack n play
Reply Up