Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>screeching...
SimpleMom 09:29 AM 11-29-2011
Oh boy. I have a 5 yr old that screeches. Especially if the atmosphere gets loud or they are bored. My ears are ringing and I can't figure out anything to get it to stop!

Any ideas. I've been trying for over a year.
Unregistered 10:34 AM 11-29-2011
five years old? Going on for over a year

Time out and then a call to the parents. You could go deaf with that child-

should be old enough to understand no and not to do that. Talk with parents and then if it doesn't stop, ask yourself if you really want to keep this going on and is this fair to your other kids..

feel like I am being punked here..........is this really a question? no wonder no one has answered this. Five years old and you have put up with this for a year....

took me a minute to really let this sink in....
SimpleMom 11:52 AM 11-29-2011
ummmm, Yes you are being a bit of a punk
It's my kid. I'll deal with it. Just wondering if there's some ideas. It was picked up on from a kiddo I watched a year ago. Let them go because of it and other behavior issues. Won't let me kid go. I'd rather quit daycare.
Fair to the other kids. NOPE. Wasn't fair to mine, either. With all of the "issues" brought into my home that my kids have to deal with===the dc kids can deal with it.

No wonder no one else has responded? Well, maybe they just didn't have any ideas to help (I would hope that's the case).

Gosh, sorry I asked.
Meyou 11:56 AM 11-29-2011
I just saw this.

If he was mine and trust me I have a daily struggle to keep my 7 year old from yelling inside I would immediately make him go sit somewhere alone away from the group. If he can't use an inside voice he can't he around the other children or adults. My 7 year old goes to her room and plays until I say she can come out again.
SimpleMom 11:57 AM 11-29-2011
Oh, and unregistered, one more thing. I sure am glad that you have the perfect kids and have the perfect one and only way to parent. All kids are different. All kids need some things while others are in need of something else. There is no one answer to how to parent.

Thanks for your help.
SimpleMom 12:00 PM 11-29-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I just saw this.

If he was mine and trust me I have a daily struggle to keep my 7 year old from yelling inside I would immediately make him go sit somewhere alone away from the group. If he can't use an inside voice he can't he around the other children or adults. My 7 year old goes to her room and plays until I say she can come out again.
Thank you for the response. I do that I will keep doing it. I was just hoping it would get a little better by now. It's like there's all this bottled up energy and it just needs to come out. Not the way to get it out.
Heidi 12:09 PM 11-29-2011
I have an idea, easier since it's your own kid.

"Junior, your killin your mama here! I see that you need to be loud right now, so I want you to put your coat on, go outside, and scream as loud as you can. When you are done, come back in". Tone...friendly and silly....
erinalexmom 06:23 AM 11-30-2011
My own four year old son is extrememly loud! Even in speaking. Next well baby check I am having his hearing tested. I cannot tell you how many times in a day I say "bub INSIDE voice!" But many times the louder he is and the rowdier he is the more he needs to go outside and get some energy off. When it gets too much to handle I send him out the door! LOL We also got a small indoor trampoline (made for kids with a handle to hold onto) and that has helped some too. Many times I do think its an overabundance of energy. The trampoline was $75 best money I ever spent!
Unregistered 08:20 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
ummmm, Yes you are being a bit of a punk
It's my kid. I'll deal with it. YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO DEAL WITH IT- YOUR THE PARENT:-) Just wondering if there's some ideas. It was picked up on from a kiddo I watched a year ago. Let them go because of it and other behavior issues. Won't let me kid go. I'd rather quit daycare.
Fair to the other kids. NOPE. Wasn't fair to mine, either. With all of the "issues" brought into my home that my kids have to deal with===the dc kids can deal with it.

No wonder no one else has responded? Well, maybe they just didn't have any ideas to help (I would hope that's the case).

Gosh, sorry I asked.
I thought you were talking about one of your daycare kids. I would hope you would not let a five year old screech everyday for over a year- that is enough to make anyone coo coo. It's different when its your child. Your child is fighting for your attention and does not like it when Moms attention is on other children-sharing you is not what your child wants.

Your child- remove, time away, time out, something taken away, redirect, sent to room if possible. Does your child talk loud normally- may need ears/hearing checked? Ignore the behavior and pay extra attention to other kids when he does it. I would not reward this behavior- but when it stops I would praise that the child is not doing it, praise the good behavior. Five year old's are able to understand and if your firm and consistent and make it known that its not ok to scream your head off for no reason, should be able to understand that. eye contact and change up your voice- the voice that says mom has had enough.

There is nothing fair in doing daycare when it comes to our kids. Our kids have to share us and that is a hard concept, not just us, home, toys. They don't understand that it is how we make ends meet, how we make our living, how we are able to buy them all the things they do have etc.. I wouldn't quit daycare over this, I would find a way to make it work. Next time you post, please try to give more specifics. I am sorry if I hurt your feelings. I was looking for more ideas on the screaming and kept going back to the post and when no one responded I was curious as to why- because I thought it was a good topic and interested me, then I read that it was going on for over a year and the child was five years old. I thought to myself who would put up with that for over a year and then finally ask for help, and especially a five year old daycare child. I thought I was being punk'ed

I will say its your home and your rules should apply. Your child and the children in your care need boundaries and limits. This is one thing that should not be acceptable and nipped right away. Consequences for actions.... Hope to hear others advice on this topic. Sorry if I came across as strong or hurtful- was not my intent.
Unregistered 08:28 AM 11-30-2011
Oh, and unregistered, one more thing. I sure am glad that you have the perfect kids and have the perfect one and only way to parent. All kids are different. All kids need some things while others are in need of something else. There is no one answer to how to parent.

Thanks for your help.

I don't have the perfect kids, and that includes my own. That is why I come here to be a better provider and parent. I agree with you on all kids are different. I agree there is no one answer on how to parent. All I can give you is what works for me or has worked, and who is to say its going to work tomorrow. Trial and error.
e.j. 11:49 AM 11-30-2011
I have a 5 yr old that screeches. Especially if the atmosphere gets loud or they are bored.
It's like there's all this bottled up energy and it just needs to come out.
I'm probably way off base so please don't be offended but as a mother who raised a kid with Asperger's, these statements jump out at me. Is it at all possible he has a sensory integration issue? A lot of noise can cause a child with SI issues to act out.

Is it possible the screeching is a stim? I ask this because my son describes the reason for his stims in the exact same words you used - energy that needs to come out.
SimpleMom 12:44 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I don't have the perfect kids, and that includes my own. That is why I come here to be a better provider and parent. I agree with you on all kids are different. I agree there is no one answer on how to parent. All I can give you is what works for me or has worked, and who is to say its going to work tomorrow. Trial and error.
Oh...I am sorry as well I was extremely sleep deprived and I know you didn't know it was my own child. Just had a crabby moment. Shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.
Unregistered 06:12 AM 12-01-2011
Oh...I am sorry as well I was extremely sleep deprived and I know you didn't know it was my own child. Just had a crabby moment. Shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

no problem- glad to see other people have those days too- all good.

back to the topic- are there other issues going on, or is this just a learned behavior picked up by a past child?

For me and the reason I was interested in this thread was I have a daycare kiddo that likes to scream, and he gets all the other kids doing it and they think its fun. The more I pay attention to it, the more they do it. They are all littles- amazing that at such a young age they can gang up on me:-) I get one to stop and someone else chimes in-

Not that you don't know this but if it was not coming into your house, your child would be picking up the "junk" somewhere else. So don't give up on kids because of little issues that are effecting your kids- it will happen no matter where it comes from. Dealing with it and how is the big ?, and it sounds like you have tried everything you can think of. If you don't think its coming from an outside issue- I would try ignoring it and offering attention on other kids- telling your child that when he is done screaming to let you know so that he can join in with everyone else, and try to say nothing more- keep it simple. Remove him to a spot away from everyone else if possible. When he is quiet and not screaming reel him back in. Another idea for you is let him scream, ignoring it and the minute he stops, redirect him into something he likes to do a lot. Figure out what the trigger of his screaming is, your attention, toy taken away from him, just for fun,needs to run off energy or change of atmosphere, hungry. Five he should be able to tell you- so my thoughts are he is doing this just to get under your nerves. Hope others give you more advice and you are able to figure this out- keep us updated
Reply Up