Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gratuity at Christmas
Unregistered 01:21 PM 12-28-2008
Hi all...I know Christmas has passed, but I will see my daycare provider tomorrow for the first time since before Christmas, and I intend to tip her then. Can you please tell me what you believe to be a fair gratuity? We have brought my 2 year old to the same in-home daycare for a year and a half now, and we attend four days a week, from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

Thanks!
NEDaycare 10:19 AM 12-30-2008
Wow. You are generous. I have four families bringing their children to my daycare right now. Last year, I had a full house and nobody even thought to say "Merry Christmas" or give a greeting card. I did give each child in my care a present, though.

Some examples of this year: Two of my families said nothing and did nothing. I did not expect a thing based on last year, even though when I had my kids in daycare when they were young I always bought a nice gift for the provider. They work very hard! This town is not like that.

This year one of my families made us some homemade bread and cookies, the other family purchased a candle for me. For a dollar amount of a tip, I would not know what to tell you. As a provider, I'd rather a gift card or small gift rather than a cash tip due to the nature of the relationship. But I might be unique in feeling that way!
Unregistered 01:14 PM 12-31-2008
I think that is really a shame that parents would even say Merry Christmas. A terrible shame. People should appreciate those that care for their families. I understand when there is just no money, but to not even give a homemade card, saying thank you and Merry Christmas, that is just wrong.
Unregistered 04:46 PM 12-31-2008
I have very, very appreciative parents. I had two families each give me $100 gift card to the mall and about $25 worth of "relaxation" gifts. Another family gave me a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble. It's nice just to let your provider know you appreciate what they do. A gift card for a massage, or something that you know they like would be good. The biggest thing you could do is make sure to give them a card with a personal note letting them know you appreciate they way that they take care of your child.
MissLisa 09:49 PM 01-04-2009
I am glad to see that someone wants to show their appreciation for their provider. Usually we only hear the complaints and not to often the fact they appreciate us or if we are doing well. First I would be sure to write a letter to let them know what you like about the care your child receives...and if anything ... I don't know if you pay for the holiday.. .but if not I would give her the amount you pay for a day to cover the holiday...or even two days...all depending what you pay... if NOT... a nice gift certificate to take herself out for a good meal is always appreciated.
Texasjeepgirl 08:00 AM 01-27-2009
Each year I give gift cards to the children in my care.
It's FUTILE to attempt to purchase something the children don't already have..
I always choose gift cards from BLOCKBUSTER, McDonald's, Sonic..
This year I gave Walmart.
I choose the little gift card animals...and each child recieves gift card or cards, candy, and small stuffed animal.
This year I had 10 children in my care, 3 sets of siblings..
I had 1 parent give me a gift...
The little girl is 3 1/2, I've had her since she was 6 weeks old.
Mom is wonderful...always gives me a birthday gift...EVERY YEAR...and Christmas...
Always gives me gift cards...
usually EBAY...
LOVE IT...

In the past I've recieved candles, soaps, lotions...costume jewelry...
but.. the gift I always appreciate the most is GIFT CARDS...
I know it seems impersonal...but...NOT TO ME...
I was just really surprised that I only had 1 parent think to give a gift..
I open at 6:30 a.m-close at 5:30 p.m...11 hours a day.
How many of those parents work 11 hour shifts, 5 days per week?

I haven't closed due to illness in nearly 2 years.
I did take a 1 week vacation during the holidays this year...but I had not closed my daycare down for a vacation since July 2006.

It's always interesting to see the level of appreciation from various customers.
megoddess444 08:08 AM 01-27-2009
i'm really lucky too. I got $100 gift card to the mall a $20 gift card to starbucks and Bath and body works gift set. One family gave me nothing and didn't say merry Christmas but the others generosity made it ok. I too give all the kids in my care a gift. I have 11 kids in my care. The great thing is they also shower my assistant with gifts. So to answer your question i would say gift card for sure. It doesn't have to be a lot either. My $20 Starbucks card was just as cool as my $100 mall gift card.
Unregistered 12:35 PM 02-04-2009
a $20 dollar gift card would be lovely! The best would be a hundred dollar bill.
Courtney 07:38 PM 02-14-2009
I have one family that gives me a new willow tree figure each Christmas... she really helps be build my collection! They always are some kind of "caring" one.

Another family gave me a gift card to my favorite salon equal to what they pay me a week last year, and this year she spent probably MORE than a week's tuition on me (all coffee themed since she knows I LOVE coffee, plus a gorgeous etched multi-photo frame).

And one other family gave me a check for $25 this past year.

Last Christmas I had one family who gave me nothing, but did say Merry Christmas and was all "gosh, I didn't know if it was ok to get you something, so I didn't get you anything" (she saw the wrapped gift from my willow tree figure family... and I had given her daughter a gift). She honestly didn't know if she should. I know her well and I don't hold it against her at all. She did say Merry Christmas and all that.

Asside from these 4 families, I haven't had anyone enrolled around Christmas time! Haha!
leadhead15717 08:12 PM 02-15-2009
The best present you can give your provider is a card with a thank you for taking such good care of my children!!!!

Those words mean more than money and a never spoken enough!
megoddess444 09:48 AM 02-23-2009
Originally Posted by leadhead15717:
the best present you can give your provider is a card with a thank you for taking such good care of my children!!!!

Those words mean more than money and a never spoken enough!
well said!!!!!!!!
Jamie 06:26 PM 02-23-2009
Providing a thank you and referrals are always nice!! When you're running an in-home daycare, the more nice things you can say to your friends an neighbors, the better. That may be the best present you can give!
Tags:christmas, gratuity, tipping
Reply Up