Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default I Am So 'Sick' Of Cover Ups

I am at my wits end with parents/caregivers covering up their childs illness
"oh, he is just teething." I hear this all the time funny how he was just teething- but now 3 out of 4 DCK's have diarrhea and low gradefevers ... Not to mention I feel like a zombie! BUT he was just teething.
I understand people have to work, but when your little one is sick and not just a cold keep them home!! It is my job to look out for the best interest for all the children and this means trying my best to keep them healthy, comfortable and safe...I know when I am sick all I want is my home- ugh I am sorry for the vent
Also, hiding your child's symptoms with Motrin is
So not cool..
Old 09-27-2011, 07:31 PM

I have in my contract that parents must keep me up to date if their child is given any medication (including Tylenol). Masking illness is cause for immediate termination at my discretion. I have a very strict illness policy and the "he's teething" or "she has allergies" does not fly here. I have called parents out on this before because it is very obvious when a child is suddenly feeling awful right at 4 hours after drop off (when the meds wear off!) and I have found that straight out telling a parent this unacceptable really does the trick! No one has tried that here in a loooonnnggg time
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godiva83 View Post
I am at my wits end with parents/caregivers covering up their childs illness
"oh, he is just teething." I hear this all the time funny how he was just teething- but now 3 out of 4 DCK's have diarrhea and low gradefevers ... Not to mention I feel like a zombie! BUT he was just teething.
I understand people have to work, but when your little one is sick and not just a cold keep them home!! It is my job to look out for the best interest for all the children and this means trying my best to keep them healthy, comfortable and safe...I know when I am sick all I want is my home- ugh I am sorry for the vent
Also, hiding your child's symptoms with Motrin is
So not cool..
Once I got, "Just wanted to warn you that he is crabby. More than likely just trying to readjust to the time change." They had gone away for the weekend to a different time zone. One hour. Really?! My assistant and I joke about this now whenever a child is crabby. One of us will just say, "Must be the time change." LOL! Yep, they all do it! I get the "teeth" excuse all the time. Yeah, don't think that time change or teeth cause hacking up a lung and green goo coming out of their noses.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 AM
Advanced Daycare.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
I have in my contract that parents must keep me up to date if their child is given any medication (including Tylenol). Masking illness is cause for immediate termination at my discretion. I have a very strict illness policy and the "he's teething" or "she has allergies" does not fly here. I have called parents out on this before because it is very obvious when a child is suddenly feeling awful right at 4 hours after drop off (when the meds wear off!) and I have found that straight out telling a parent this unacceptable really does the trick! No one has tried that here in a loooonnnggg time
I have the a similiar policy. Parents must notify me if a child has had any medicine within 4 hours of dropoff. Failure to do so may result in immediate termination.

I also don't use the "He's teething." or "He has allergies." as an excuse. Teething doesn't cause green snot to expel from your nose, nor does it cause a persistent cough. And, the allergy story doesn't fly with me because the next thing that comes out of my mouth is, "Oh. There isn't anything noted on his physical form and I'm sure he hasn't had an allergy test so until he does, that's not a diagnosis."
Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 AM
Unregistered

My husband and I always joke "Oh, I must be teething" if either of us comes down with something... One of the dcg should have about 3000 teeth by now since her mom always says she is teething if she's under the weather...and the dcg is 3 1/2 years old so she must have her teeth mostly in for her age??
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My husband and I always joke "Oh, I must be teething" if either of us comes down with something... One of the dcg should have about 3000 teeth by now since her mom always says she is teething if she's under the weather...and the dcg is 3 1/2 years old so she must have her teeth mostly in for her age??
Old 09-28-2011, 08:42 AM

Lol- gotta revamp my handbook
I feel like I got hit by a Mac truck- must be teething

Tags
dope and drop, lie, parents - irresponsible, sick policy, trust