Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>People Scamming the State
MamaBear 02:01 PM 12-05-2011
I had a call from a lady who lives in a nearby neighborhood. The homes in her area were originally million dollar homes a few years ago... now worth half as much probably - but still very nice.

Anyway - she tells me her life story... how she is renting her home with her husband and is a stay at home mom. Her husband works at home doing some online sales job. Even though she doesn't work outside the home or go to school, she said she gets State assistance to pay for ALL her childcare costs!!!!

She said she currently has her two children in this daycare center up the street that costs @ $260 per infant... she has two infant age children, so she normally would be paying $2000+ per month for childcare. She bragged to me that the State (California) pays 100% for all of her childcare & she even gets MediCal and Welfare payments and food stamps. She wanted to try to place her younger infant with me until he's older and then put him back in the daycare center. She bragged to me about her lifestyle - how she used to have a housekeeper & nanny but she didn't like having a stranger in the house... she even bragged about her new BMW SUV she just got!

She was super snotty and I was not the least bit interested in helping her. But it just amazes me that she can afford the rent in this particular neighborhood, have nice cars and housekeepers and the State would still give her public assistance!!!! Seriously made me want to puke. I told her that I don't accept State payments - so sorry can't help you out. I wish I could report her for being such a scammer. She has to be lying to the State to get the $$ she is getting. Yuck... she was nauseating!
Zoe 02:04 PM 12-05-2011
Well hopefully more people like you will turn her down, because that's just ridiculous. There are real people out there who NEED that assistance and don't take advantage of it. It's stories like yours that REALLY make me not want to accept daycare assistance families. Are there no more honest people left?!
Michael 02:11 PM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I had a call from a lady who lives in a nearby neighborhood. The homes in her area were originally million dollar homes a few years ago... now worth half as much probably - but still very nice.

Anyway - she tells me her life story... how she is renting her home with her husband and is a stay at home mom. Her husband works at home doing some online sales job. Even though she doesn't work outside the home or go to school, she said she gets State assistance to pay for ALL her childcare costs!!!!

She said she currently has her two children in this daycare center up the street that costs @ $260 per infant... she has two infant age children, so she normally would be paying $2000+ per month for childcare. She bragged to me that the State (California) pays 100% for all of her childcare & she even gets MediCal and Welfare payments and food stamps. She wanted to try to place her younger infant with me until he's older and then put him back in the daycare center. She bragged to me about her lifestyle - how she used to have a housekeeper & nanny but she didn't like having a stranger in the house... she even bragged about her new BMW SUV she just got!

She was super snotty and I was not the least bit interested in helping her. But it just amazes me that she can afford the rent in this particular neighborhood, have nice cars and housekeepers and the State would still give her public assistance!!!! Seriously made me want to puke. I told her that I don't accept State payments - so sorry can't help you out. I wish I could report her for being such a scammer. She has to be lying to the State to get the $$ she is getting. Yuck... she was nauseating!
It's why are money is worth less and less every year. We give our tax dollars to the government and they spend it foolishly. If a Newport Beach lifeguard can get $200k a year from being in the Fireman Union, that is making private sector jobs saleries worth less. We are giving the government our tax dollars to pay for these crazy public sector expenditures. It makes no sense There is no truthful oversight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_spending
Unregistered 02:18 PM 12-05-2011
ugh...

I hear about this almost every week. The worst part is that my own cousin and his wife are doing this.

It is so horrible. I even thought about turning them in, but then decided that I should stay out of it.,

My cousins are married, but claim they are divorced living at two separate addresses. Since he is the bread winner, and she does not work, she qualifies for EVERY form of assistance possible. Makes me want to puke.

I told them, that they are going to get it in the end and they better stop doing it. They even did it when filing their taxes so that they would qualify for low income credit and got back like 8 grand....

I can't believe that I am related to these people...It is my cousins wife who is doing it all, but he's just as bad, becusae he goes along with it.....

And everyone wonders why our state is in the issues it's in.....
Michelle 02:37 PM 12-05-2011
They probably get hud!
You can qualify by income as long as you have at least one boy and one girl you can qualify for a 3 bedroom, they allow 2 kids per room,( same sex) so if they have more than 4 kids they can get a 4 bedroom...I had a friend that had a huge 4 bedroom house and she only had to pay $180 per month .
The rent was $2,000
MamaBear 02:56 PM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
They probably get hud!
You can qualify by income as long as you have at least one boy and one girl you can qualify for a 3 bedroom, they allow 2 kids per room,( same sex) so if they have more than 4 kids they can get a 4 bedroom...I had a friend that had a huge 4 bedroom house and she only had to pay $180 per month .
The rent was $2,000
That is nauseating... Meanwhile everyone else works their butts off to be able to live in nice homes and pay for quality childcare and PAYS their taxes - but then people like this get it all for free. Very sickening.
MamaBear 02:57 PM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
It's why are money is worth less and less every year. We give our tax dollars to the government and they spend it foolishly. If a Newport Beach lifeguard can get $200k a year from being in the Fireman Union, that is making private sector jobs saleries worth less. We are giving the government our tax dollars to pay for these crazy public sector expenditures. It makes no sense There is no truthful oversight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_spending
I agree Michael... It makes no sense.
Nellie 05:40 PM 12-05-2011
Sorry this is so long.

I have met people that work the system. The couples are unmarried and the women sign up for benefits only using there income and not telling case workers that the father or boyfriend lives with them. I have worked with women that talk about how they won't pick up extra hours because they will get there food stamps reduced. They complain at the amount of food stamps they get. They complain that they now have to buy generic chips and soda pop. They bring there kids to warm clothes programs. They get vouchers for $140 for each child to get boots, snow pants, gloves, and coats at Kohl's. If there is extra left after the child has all the necessary outdoor clothing the rest of the money can be used for sweatshirt, pants, and socks. My had a co worker who was a single mom, on housing assistance, heating assistance, salvation army for Christmas gifts, warm coat programs, food stamp, and what ever else there is. Her kids all had different last names and was trying to talk her boyfriend into having a baby.

I read an article about a near by cities church. It was a church in one of the poorest areas. The church was bankrupt and closing. The pastor at the time told his story of being a minister there and how he tried changing the way things were done. He said when he started he'd go visit parishioners with gift donations for the families. When he got to the houses he'd find a Christmas tree with presents packed all around and two feet high. The families were getting gifts from all sorts of different programs. When he'd help them move he'd find bags of donated clothes moldy in basements. He tried changing the way that the church helped the parishioners. He said it didn't go over well, but he tried.
My husband is way more conservative than I am. He doesn't believe in government programs. He believes that individuals and churches should take care of the community instead of the government. I on the other hand feel it is a good thing to provide temporary emergency assistance to those who need it. Unfortunately I don't think some people try hard enough and there are a portion of the population that abuses these programs. It is a slap in the face to those who work hard and go with out to find out there tax dollar is going to individuals that don't try.

After we had two children and my husbands job cut out overtime and bonus's we actually qualified for help. Instead my husband called every company he knew and let them know that if they needed any extra help to call him. He worked every day of the week. He'd come home from his first job and most evenings would go work for an additional 2 to 5 hours else where making $10 an hour. That was no where what he was use to being paid, but money was money. Instead of taking the 200 dollars a month in food stamps we qualified for with our income, we went with out treats, costly snacks, high end meats, and convenient frozen foods. There was no generic Doritos or no generic pop period. Instead of putting our oldest child on the free or reduced price lunch program we didn't eat out at all(including fast food, picking up a soda or candy bar at the gas station) and packed lunches when it was cost beneficial. I scoured 2nd hand clothing stores and thrift sales for the items we needed. No one got brand new name brand clothing. Instead of being on the state health program we paid the $600 a month for our share for insurance through my husbands work. After our son was born we owed $8000 in out of pocket expenses. We called the hospital up and made a payment arrangements. I sewed my husbands work pants up and put patches in them weekly to make them last a few extra months. We drove old vehicles and pay cash for them. When winter came around we could have gotten a little assistance to help with the heating cost of our home. Instead when fall rolled around and we realized we only had 1/2 of the money saved to heat the house at 65 we invested in a little wood burning stove. My husband asked his family if we could cut wood on our land. I'm not trying to paint a poor me story. The state has a website that you can input your information in to see if you would qualify for benefits. With my husband working as many little part time jobs as he could get and in addition to his full time job we were right on the borderline of qualifying. The site said we could get a couple hundred dollars in food stamps, we could get the state plan of health care for 160 a month(1, 2, and 3 dollar co pays), WIC, a little heating, and the oldest qualified for reduce$d lunch. On the other hand we own a home. We bought it right before we were married and we figured that we could afford it on my husbands income. When I got pregnant I became so sick that I lost 30 pounds in the first 5 months. I had to quit working when I was about 7 weeks along. Everything would have been fine, but the job my husband had worked at for over 12 years cut his bonuses. Right there he lost 600 to 1000 a month. A few months later there was no overtime. All his life he had always been able to work as many hours as he wanted. Most of the time they mandated 50, but he was always welcomed to work more and always did. A couple of more months down the road he doesn't even get 40 hours for a few months. Then 2 months before our son was born the health insurance policy changed. Instead our out of pocket expenses went from $200 to $600 a month. Our monthly premiums went up by 3 X's, our co pays doubled, and the max out of pocket a year went up 8X's. We put all of our eggs in one basket. We figured we could always count on his job. He doesn't have a college degrees so it would be impossible for him to find another job that paid the same amount as his previous employment.

We made the mistake of trying for a child while I was still in school. I had 9 credits left and we didn't think of the possibility that I would be bed ridden for 9 months. Then to our surprise we found out I was expecting again when our newborn was 5 months along. We should have done things differently. We shouldn't spent so much on a house. We should have waited to start our family after I was done with school. We should have had our credit cards paid up before we bought the house. This was our own fault. I doubt that hard working taxpayer want to help us out to purchase our home. It is our decision to keep the house. We could sell it. We did put down 30% on it when we built it so even with the drop in value we still should be able to get enough to pay off the loan. We could cash out some of our 401K and take 10 to 15 thousand out and buy a trailer home. We could put it in a park in town for 200 a month for rent, witch includes water and garbage. The electric would be cut down by over a hundred a month because towns electric is cheaper than the co op in the country. Have natural gas is town so heating would be 1/4 of the cost to heat with propane(and going from a large home to a small one). Even if we didn't buy a trailer we could rent one at the court for $600 total. That is what taxpayers would probable want us to do before giving us a hand out to make our $1400 mortgage every month.

We are lucky and things turned around for us. I don't know if it was luck, God, or hard work. Maybe a little everything. One of the owners at one of the companies that my husband called begging for an little work that they could give him noticed his skill, hard work, and determination. The man offed us a partnership in the small business. He allowed us to make payments on the half of the business we bought. We had a 5 year payment plan, but will have it all payed up in a few months 2 years early. My husband still works 6 days a week 10 to 14 hours a day for at least 5 months out of the year. Works 40 to 60 hours the other 5 months and two months our of the year he is off(if we save enough money to allow him to not take other work). I watch a couple of kids now. I don't watch as many as I use to. My income isn't necessity anymore. It is more for the wants. I feel comfortable. There is money is the savings account, I can write out checks as soon as the bills come in, I can go to the grocery store and buy a 12 pack of pop if I want. Right now we can't go on lavish vacations or buy a new car, but when my husband needs new work clothes he is able to buy them. I know that for some this wouldn't seem like enough, but I am able to sleep at night with ease. I certainly don't want people to stop donating, but I understand why some people are cynical at the system.
Kaddidle Care 06:39 PM 12-05-2011
Here's the Mother of all Cheaters scamming the state:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...161252749.html

At the least these people should have to pay everything back, plus interest AND do community service for 8 years.

But alas, they'll probably get a slap on the wrist - or have to spend some time in the pokey while we all pay for it.

They need to set up a whistle blower hotline for stuff like this - if they haven't already.

Edit: did a little research - here you go - report them: http://www.ucowf.org/index.php?optio...=107&Itemid=65

http://oig.ssa.gov/report-fraud-waste-or-abuse
Michelle 07:00 PM 12-05-2011
Wow, Nellie, you are awesome and a true inspiration!!!
Bless your wonderful family.
MamaBear 08:22 PM 12-05-2011
There are definitely hard working people that NEED help and deserve it...They are the ones who take the help and then when they are on their feet, they stop taking the assistance... But then there are definitely people who abuse the system by lying & scamming to get what they want...the lazy ones. The ones who have more kids just to get more money or won't take on more work hours just to be sure they still will get their monthly check. Or like this lady who called me today for daycare that I originally posted about... She obviously had no reason to not be able to work. I looked her up on Facebook just out of boredom tonight and she is self employed as a photographer and by the looks of her website is pretty successful. But since she's self employed she is probably not revealing her real income I bet. She gets so much $$ from the State that she can buy a new BMW and live in a luxury home. Something is definitely wrong with that picture.
Michelle 10:18 PM 12-05-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
There are definitely hard working people that NEED help and deserve it...They are the ones who take the help and then when they are on their feet, they stop taking the assistance... But then there are definitely people who abuse the system by lying & scamming to get what they want...the lazy ones. The ones who have more kids just to get more money or won't take on more work hours just to be sure they still will get their monthly check. Or like this lady who called me today for daycare that I originally posted about... She obviously had no reason to not be able to work. I looked her up on Facebook just out of boredom tonight and she is self employed as a photographer and by the looks of her website is pretty successful. But since she's self employed she is probably not revealing her real income I bet. She gets so much $$ from the State that she can buy a new BMW and live in a luxury home. Something is definitely wrong with that picture.
Yea, people don't usually claim photography for a wedding, family pictures or party on their taxes... she is probably getting a lot of money and not reporting it to the I.R.S.
Kaddidle Care 04:14 AM 12-06-2011
Nellie, you are truly an inspiration. I didn't read your whole story last night but just did this morning. You are one of the very few Americans that believe in scrimping, saving, hard work and eventually it will all work out.

I'm so happy for you and your family that it did. How long was it between his lay off and present day? 2 years?

The system is out there to help people but unfortunately all it has done is make them lazy.

To the original OP, I just can't believe the audacity of that person. If you don't turn her in, someone else will. It's one thing to be a thief on the sly (not that I'm condoning it) but to brag about it is just plain stupid. Maybe sub-consciously she's asking to be turned in.

My husband and I bought our little house when we were making a mere $25,000.00 COMBINED income back in the mid 80's. The best interest rate was 12.75% and we put 25% down after 2 years of hard saving and living at home still with our parents. We WAITED 2 years to get married. We WAITED until we had enough money for a downpayment. We WAITED 5 years before having our first child.

2 months after we had our baby my husband's job shut down. Yes, it was scary but it was a much better job market then. We knew he'd get another job as he was very good at what he did.

In my weird demented mind I thought it was scary, yet exciting. It forces you to look at what you already have and to make due with only what you need. I guess I did have the comfort of knowing that if we were ever in total dire straights, my father would help out - but we never asked, nor did we need to.

I actually think it's good for a marriage to go through something like this and weather the storm together. It makes you stronger, it makes you a solid unit.
Eh.. I'm rattling on - sorry.

Nellie - you done good girl!
cheerfuldom 06:31 AM 12-06-2011
It is very possible that she is lying about multiple things....perhaps even her home address. She may claim she is living somewhere else and even get mail there. She may claim that she is a single mom, or divorced (just to get the benefits), she may be claiming that she is working for her husbands business or any number of ways that it appears she is working. you just cant know for sure what is going on there.
countrymom 06:40 AM 12-06-2011
our welfare system is even better than yours. I know people who make way more money on welfare than I do in a month.

I just don't understand why I have to scrimp, coupon cut, live frugaly and shop at thrift stores when the goverment hands money out to people left and right. Why is it that its ok for my children to wear hand me downs, yard sale finds and thrift store clothes but those on welfare would never ever have their children wear that stuff. Why is it that their activities get paid for while I shell out 375 dollars a month for dance lessons for my kids, why is it that dh and I can't go out for dinner because there is no money left after everything is paid for but all the welfare moms can go out drinking, tanning and to the salon, heck probably have house keeping come to their houses.

oh, and did you know in ontario that you can stay on welfare till your child goes to school full time, so you get to collect for 4 yrs, then have another kid.
wdmmom 06:48 AM 12-06-2011
If you work from home, the state of Iowa won't even consider paying for daycare! And, if one of the parents don't work, you are disqualified too! Heck, it doesn't matter if you have one parent working 1st shift and another on 3rd shift, the state won't pay for daycare while one parent sleeps!

I'd report her!

She clearly is lying on her application to get assistance and it's not right!!!
GretasLittleFriends 07:14 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I just don't understand why I have to scrimp, coupon cut, live frugaly and shop at thrift stores when the goverment hands money out to people left and right. Why is it that its ok for my children to wear hand me downs, yard sale finds and thrift store clothes but those on welfare would never ever have their children wear that stuff. Why is it that their activities get paid for while I shell out 375 dollars a month for dance lessons for my kids, why is it that dh and I can't go out for dinner because there is no money left after everything is paid for but all the welfare moms can go out drinking, tanning and to the salon, heck probably have house keeping come to their houses.
Why you ask? Because you can teach your children an extremely valuable lesson. RESPONSIBILITY... They will be able to take care of themselves when they grow up. They won't have to rely on a government that may or may not provide for them. What are these people going to do when program cuts start happening? What is going to happen to those children when they grow up, it'll be a continuous cycle. Your children will know how to scrimp and save. Your children will know how to spend wisely. Your children will understand the concept of reaping what you sow. Though they may not be classified as the "best dressed" with the perfect tan, nails or hair, they will be honest responsible people, able to care for themselves. So, remember, when there is no money left for a date night with hubby, that money was wisely spent teaching your children how to be responsible.

It stinks though, doesn't it. I understand COMPLETELY how you feel.
Qpmomma 08:14 AM 12-06-2011
Honestly, she's probally lying. I work with all types of people, from the very rich to the very poor. The millionares don't act like millionares. They don't brag about what they have. Yeah, they are picky, but Generally, they don't brag. It's the ones who want to be extremely wealthy who act like that.
Sunchimes 08:54 AM 12-06-2011
Oh, my hot button!! My granddaughter and I vent to each other about this all the time!! You get in line behind someone at the store wearing Nikes, designer jeans, fancy manicure, a really good bleach job on their hair, and talking on an i-phone. They buy nice cuts of meat, lots of frozen foods, name brand cookies, and things like lunchables, then pay for it with a Lone Star card (our food stamps.) Then, they put the rest of the items in their cart-cigarettes, beer, good wines, a couple of videos, and pay for them with cash. I don't buy those cuts of meat or many convenience foods, I don't have a salon manicure (ha!) or even a recent haircut! Nine times out of ten, if you see them in the parking lot, they are driving a better car than I drive.

It's really not right, but nothing seems to change--except there are more of them every year.

Oh, and if you drive by the subsidized housing in my town-every single apartment has a satellite dish nailed to the balcony.

If I ruled the world, if you take government subsidies, you give up iphones, designer clothes, new cars, and cable.
Christian Mother 09:26 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Nellie:
Sorry this is so long.

I have met people that work the system. The couples are unmarried and the women sign up for benefits only using there income and not telling case workers that the father or boyfriend lives with them. I have worked with women that talk about how they won't pick up extra hours because they will get there food stamps reduced. They complain at the amount of food stamps they get. They complain that they now have to buy generic chips and soda pop. They bring there kids to warm clothes programs. They get vouchers for $140 for each child to get boots, snow pants, gloves, and coats at Kohl's. If there is extra left after the child has all the necessary outdoor clothing the rest of the money can be used for sweatshirt, pants, and socks. My had a co worker who was a single mom, on housing assistance, heating assistance, salvation army for Christmas gifts, warm coat programs, food stamp, and what ever else there is. Her kids all had different last names and was trying to talk her boyfriend into having a baby.

I read an article about a near by cities church. It was a church in one of the poorest areas. The church was bankrupt and closing. The pastor at the time told his story of being a minister there and how he tried changing the way things were done. He said when he started he'd go visit parishioners with gift donations for the families. When he got to the houses he'd find a Christmas tree with presents packed all around and two feet high. The families were getting gifts from all sorts of different programs. When he'd help them move he'd find bags of donated clothes moldy in basements. He tried changing the way that the church helped the parishioners. He said it didn't go over well, but he tried.
My husband is way more conservative than I am. He doesn't believe in government programs. He believes that individuals and churches should take care of the community instead of the government. I on the other hand feel it is a good thing to provide temporary emergency assistance to those who need it. Unfortunately I don't think some people try hard enough and there are a portion of the population that abuses these programs. It is a slap in the face to those who work hard and go with out to find out there tax dollar is going to individuals that don't try.

After we had two children and my husbands job cut out overtime and bonus's we actually qualified for help. Instead my husband called every company he knew and let them know that if they needed any extra help to call him. He worked every day of the week. He'd come home from his first job and most evenings would go work for an additional 2 to 5 hours else where making $10 an hour. That was no where what he was use to being paid, but money was money. Instead of taking the 200 dollars a month in food stamps we qualified for with our income, we went with out treats, costly snacks, high end meats, and convenient frozen foods. There was no generic Doritos or no generic pop period. Instead of putting our oldest child on the free or reduced price lunch program we didn't eat out at all(including fast food, picking up a soda or candy bar at the gas station) and packed lunches when it was cost beneficial. I scoured 2nd hand clothing stores and thrift sales for the items we needed. No one got brand new name brand clothing. Instead of being on the state health program we paid the $600 a month for our share for insurance through my husbands work. After our son was born we owed $8000 in out of pocket expenses. We called the hospital up and made a payment arrangements. I sewed my husbands work pants up and put patches in them weekly to make them last a few extra months. We drove old vehicles and pay cash for them. When winter came around we could have gotten a little assistance to help with the heating cost of our home. Instead when fall rolled around and we realized we only had 1/2 of the money saved to heat the house at 65 we invested in a little wood burning stove. My husband asked his family if we could cut wood on our land. I'm not trying to paint a poor me story. The state has a website that you can input your information in to see if you would qualify for benefits. With my husband working as many little part time jobs as he could get and in addition to his full time job we were right on the borderline of qualifying. The site said we could get a couple hundred dollars in food stamps, we could get the state plan of health care for 160 a month(1, 2, and 3 dollar co pays), WIC, a little heating, and the oldest qualified for reduce$d lunch. On the other hand we own a home. We bought it right before we were married and we figured that we could afford it on my husbands income. When I got pregnant I became so sick that I lost 30 pounds in the first 5 months. I had to quit working when I was about 7 weeks along. Everything would have been fine, but the job my husband had worked at for over 12 years cut his bonuses. Right there he lost 600 to 1000 a month. A few months later there was no overtime. All his life he had always been able to work as many hours as he wanted. Most of the time they mandated 50, but he was always welcomed to work more and always did. A couple of more months down the road he doesn't even get 40 hours for a few months. Then 2 months before our son was born the health insurance policy changed. Instead our out of pocket expenses went from $200 to $600 a month. Our monthly premiums went up by 3 X's, our co pays doubled, and the max out of pocket a year went up 8X's. We put all of our eggs in one basket. We figured we could always count on his job. He doesn't have a college degrees so it would be impossible for him to find another job that paid the same amount as his previous employment.

We made the mistake of trying for a child while I was still in school. I had 9 credits left and we didn't think of the possibility that I would be bed ridden for 9 months. Then to our surprise we found out I was expecting again when our newborn was 5 months along. We should have done things differently. We shouldn't spent so much on a house. We should have waited to start our family after I was done with school. We should have had our credit cards paid up before we bought the house. This was our own fault. I doubt that hard working taxpayer want to help us out to purchase our home. It is our decision to keep the house. We could sell it. We did put down 30% on it when we built it so even with the drop in value we still should be able to get enough to pay off the loan. We could cash out some of our 401K and take 10 to 15 thousand out and buy a trailer home. We could put it in a park in town for 200 a month for rent, witch includes water and garbage. The electric would be cut down by over a hundred a month because towns electric is cheaper than the co op in the country. Have natural gas is town so heating would be 1/4 of the cost to heat with propane(and going from a large home to a small one). Even if we didn't buy a trailer we could rent one at the court for $600 total. That is what taxpayers would probable want us to do before giving us a hand out to make our $1400 mortgage every month.

We are lucky and things turned around for us. I don't know if it was luck, God, or hard work. Maybe a little everything. One of the owners at one of the companies that my husband called begging for an little work that they could give him noticed his skill, hard work, and determination. The man offed us a partnership in the small business. He allowed us to make payments on the half of the business we bought. We had a 5 year payment plan, but will have it all payed up in a few months 2 years early. My husband still works 6 days a week 10 to 14 hours a day for at least 5 months out of the year. Works 40 to 60 hours the other 5 months and two months our of the year he is off(if we save enough money to allow him to not take other work). I watch a couple of kids now. I don't watch as many as I use to. My income isn't necessity anymore. It is more for the wants. I feel comfortable. There is money is the savings account, I can write out checks as soon as the bills come in, I can go to the grocery store and buy a 12 pack of pop if I want. Right now we can't go on lavish vacations or buy a new car, but when my husband needs new work clothes he is able to buy them. I know that for some this wouldn't seem like enough, but I am able to sleep at night with ease. I certainly don't want people to stop donating, but I understand why some people are cynical at the system.
Such a inspirational story...and it really lifts me up reading it. Thank you for sharing your story with us!!

A lot of you already know my story...my husband lost his job back in mid Oct. He's been looking for work but hasn't been offered a full time position. My husband has been helping a friend of ours that has a used car lot with what ever they need over there done. He's a handyman but his back ground has been as a Prod. Manager for a company that build off road vehicles. He's very skilled and can fabricate. But, on the side he goes in with his brother and does remodels. Recently by word of mouth a friend of ours who is a Realtor who has used my husband on doing some handyman work recommended my husband to a personal assistant who has quiet a few clients who own rentals out here in AZ and was impressed with my husband and his brothers work so she forward over their work to her clients who have hired my husband and brother in law on for some major work on their condo. This is a huge saving grace and job opportunity for my husband!! It will allow us to pay the bills!! We have applied for state assistance here...but we haven't submitted the required paper work like ss cards, birth certificates, taxs...etc...you know the important stuff bc we want to try helping our selves first. We feel that we pay our taxs...and it is nice to know that there could be help we've already paid into if we need it. Does that mean we'll be able to use it. Not necessarily, we might not qualify but if we need help I don't feel bad in using it. We paid in to it. That is what it is there for. But I think everyone needs to keep in mind that it is only intended to supplement income to lend help. That is what it is intended for. It wasn't meant to be used as a perminate means of help. My husband gets unemployment but only claims when he doesn't have any money for that week. Anything else gets reported and we also will be paying taxes on it. We've got to be able to show income some how..lol!! Things are looking up but it going to be a long road. We need to start over. We can't afford to live the way we have. We are giving our house back to the bank as right now they can not work with us....with my husband out of perminate work and no salary we don't qualify. W/ our car we are going to hand that back as well and buy a used car. We already have 1 paid for truck. Things will work out...I am confident that God will pull us through...he has all along.
MamaBear 09:26 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Oh, my hot button!! My granddaughter and I vent to each other about this all the time!! You get in line behind someone at the store wearing Nikes, designer jeans, fancy manicure, a really good bleach job on their hair, and talking on an i-phone. They buy nice cuts of meat, lots of frozen foods, name brand cookies, and things like lunchables, then pay for it with a Lone Star card (our food stamps.) Then, they put the rest of the items in their cart-cigarettes, beer, good wines, a couple of videos, and pay for them with cash. I don't buy those cuts of meat or many convenience foods, I don't have a salon manicure (ha!) or even a recent haircut! Nine times out of ten, if you see them in the parking lot, they are driving a better car than I drive.

It's really not right, but nothing seems to change--except there are more of them every year.

Oh, and if you drive by the subsidized housing in my town-every single apartment has a satellite dish nailed to the balcony.

If I ruled the world, if you take government subsidies, you give up iphones, designer clothes, new cars, and cable.
Amen Sunchimes!
BigMama 09:32 AM 12-06-2011
I understand how frustrating it is when someone abuses the welfare system and takes more than their fair share. However, not everyone that has to use these services is living the high life. I grew up in a home with a drug-addicted, mentally ill, single mother. Our sole source of income was welfare. I swore that when I grew up, I would NEVER accept help from the government. As soon as I turned 16 I found a job and worked hard. I got accepted into college and worked even harder. Then, during my senior year of college, my mother took a turn for the worse and no longer could care for my younger siblings (then ages 10,9, and 7). I took custody of them. I desperately wanted to finish my last semester and get my degree, so yes, I did the unthinkable: I accepted food stamps and other assistance. However, I, nor my little siblings, were EVER dressed in designer anything - we shopped at the thrift store. We didn't have any vehicle, let alone a fancy one. I had to budget the food stamps carefully to make it through the month. I was MORTIFIED every time I stood in line at the grocery store because I knew that everyone in line behind me was judging me. I knew they assumed I was a lazy person. After five months though, I graduated. I found a job, closed my welfare case, and have not looked back. Three years ago, I started my family child care program which allows me to use my skills (my degree is in Early Childhood) while still being home for my brothers and sister. I know it is so so hard to see someone abuse the system, but please, please don't assume that everyone on welfare is the same.
Crazy8 09:53 AM 12-06-2011
I had one years ago who claimed to be separated from her spouse. So she got state assistance for child care (3 kids) because they went only on her income. She was still married to the guy, still living with him but because she CLAIMED to be separated she got the money. I reported her, they sent her a new form to fill out - she still checked off that she was separated so they claimed there was nothing they could do. Yes, our great state agencies at work.

She was my one and only state paid client - I will NEVER do it again.
lisa@tinytots 09:55 AM 12-06-2011
I am done with state paid clients.
DCMom 10:02 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
I understand how frustrating it is when someone abuses the welfare system and takes more than their fair share. However, not everyone that has to use these services is living the high life. I grew up in a home with a drug-addicted, mentally ill, single mother. Our sole source of income was welfare. I swore that when I grew up, I would NEVER accept help from the government. As soon as I turned 16 I found a job and worked hard. I got accepted into college and worked even harder. Then, during my senior year of college, my mother took a turn for the worse and no longer could care for my younger siblings (then ages 10,9, and 7). I took custody of them. I desperately wanted to finish my last semester and get my degree, so yes, I did the unthinkable: I accepted food stamps and other assistance. However, I, nor my little siblings, were EVER dressed in designer anything - we shopped at the thrift store. We didn't have any vehicle, let alone a fancy one. I had to budget the food stamps carefully to make it through the month. I was MORTIFIED every time I stood in line at the grocery store because I knew that everyone in line behind me was judging me. I knew they assumed I was a lazy person. After five months though, I graduated. I found a job, closed my welfare case, and have not looked back. Three years ago, I started my family child care program which allows me to use my skills (my degree is in Early Childhood) while still being home for my brothers and sister. I know it is so so hard to see someone abuse the system, but please, please don't assume that everyone on welfare is the same.
You are the person that I feel the welfare programs were put in place to help. Unfortunately, there is always the bad apples that ruin the peck and those are who you hear about, the 'hand-out' people not the 'hand-up'

My story is similar; my dad was 100% disabled in an on the job accident when I was 8. They were foster parents as well as my mom worked nights as a nursing assistant. The workers comp settlement paid off the house (the mortgage was under 10K), but that was after years of legal this and that.

Anyway, long story short I grew up on government cheese and powdered milk. Day old bread and the cast offs from the grocery store because my dad had a friendship with the store manager. We handed down, reused and recycled. My dad did odd jobs that he could do to make ends meet. In the winter we had to use food stamps because we didn't have the garden. My mother was mortified...

Nowadays its a badge of honor to gather as much as you can from these various programs and brag about it. But the govt makes it so easy....I have a friend who applied for MinnesotaCare for herself and her two kids after a divorce. That one application for that one program translated to every other welfare program available in my state. She now gets 4 different kinds of assistance when she was only looking for one. So can you blame people for taking what is so freely given?
Heidi 10:06 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Yea, people don't usually claim photography for a wedding, family pictures or party on their taxes... she is probably getting a lot of money and not reporting it to the I.R.S.
Ok, so if there is no fraud preventation hotline in your state, there is certainly an IRS anonymous tipster line....

A number of years ago, a woman in the Appleton area was looking for childcare. She called providers, and asked about rates. The first person she called gave her a rate, then a seperate "cash" rate. So did the next person, and again the next.

What these providers didn't ask was "where are you employed?". lol...She worked for the IRS, and although she was legitimately looking for daycare, she was so shocked by the blatant tax ivasion that she reported it, and every provider in the entire area was audited!

I know it's common from many self-employed people to undereport some cash. Bar owners, dcp's, service people, etc, all do it. I guess technically, one should report income made from a garage sale. But, to make all that money AND bilk the state for food stamps, health insurance, and daycare to boot!
wdmmom 10:07 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:

Now, I don't mean to sound all cynical but your post is just awful! You are doing a lot of singling out, comparing and JUDGING!!!

I was a single mom to 4 kids at one point and my wonderful ex husband (joke) decided to be a real jerk and refused to pay child support for 4 years!!!

I was that mom that got food stamps and I always did my best to provide my kids with great quality food...lots of fresh fruits, veggies, salmon, fresh cuts of meat and of course the occasional frozen pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries.

Granted I didn't wear designer clothes but my job did require me to dress professionally and that included monthly manicures.

Don't sit and judge every mom out there that you see buying food, smokes and beer. I'm not trying to protect those that abuse the system but don't shun those that are only using the system for a hand up, not a hand out!
Heidi 10:10 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by BigMama:
That is what the system is intended for. I, too, have had to take assistance in the past. I was among the "working poor".

You are an awesome lady to take responsibility for your sibs!
Zoe 10:14 AM 12-06-2011
I don't think anyone on here is judging EVERYONE who is on assistance at all! We're more just venting about those who clearly are taking advantage of it. This isn't everyone, just some people. In no way are we putting down everyone who is on assistance.

A few years ago, my family had to take WIC, Medical Assistance, as well as a few others just to get by. And I didn't want to be classified as one of those people who is scamming the system. We just were affected by the crappy economy and basically lost 75 percent of our income right as I was pregnant with my second child.

Back to my point, I haven't seen a post on here yet that has generalized an entire group of people. We are in no way talking about you honest folks.
Springdaze 10:19 AM 12-06-2011
It would bother me too if i thought about it, but I am too busy busting my hump to make money to stay off the system. I know people really need it, its not that all people on it dont also bust their tooshies and still cant make ends meet. I am just so thankful that so far things have been good for us. It takes hard work AND blessings to make it in this world!
Sugar Magnolia 10:50 AM 12-06-2011
...But I think there should be more government assistance to the poor. Yep. Some people scam, it happens, but that doesn't mean the 98% of the people that truly need it don't deserve it. Let's turn the tables for a moment. Where's the outrage over wealthy doctors scamming medicare? Where's the outrage over corporations that ship jobs overseas and scam the government out of paying taxes on their record-breaking profits? Where's the outrage over the real estate market collapse when big banks scammed people out of their homes with ILLEGAL foreclosures? Where the outrage over BP who scammed the Gulf Coast out of promised payments for their losses? And last but not least, where's the outrage over Wall Street execs who collapsed our entire economy and are "too big to jail" when petty shoplifters of food products rot in jail? Guess I'm just a bleeding heart, but I feel sorry for the poor, the unemployed, the uninsured, the hungry and the homeless. Some people scam. But not all. I'm willing to wager there are more people who NEED assistance and are too embarassed/humiliated to accept it than there are "scammers". Its the Holidays. Donate to a charity, please.
Heidi 11:21 AM 12-06-2011
Sugar-I won't call you a communist. I tend to think like you. In our wealthy, no one should go without food, medical care, and shelter.

There are rich people who are dishonest, there are poor people who are dishonest. The honest people pay for both!

It would be nice if we could come up with some sort of fool proof solution. If people who legitamately needed help could get some help. It would be nice if the sytem weren't set up so that you get ALL the help if you make, lets say $500 per month, but NONE if you make $501.

In our state, if you are :"poor enough" you can get free lunch, food stamps, badgercare, chilcare subsidy, free after school programs for your kids, scholarships to pre-college programs and enrichment programs, WIC, toys for tots, and whole bunch more. If you make $1 too much, you get nothing, nada, zip. So, a lot of people who qualify for stuff DONT WANT to make a little more money, because then they qualify for nothing. They do just enough to stay on the system, because if they get off the system, they can't survive. If an extra $10 a week costs you health insurance, and then you can't take your children to the doctor, well....
Tags:bad economy, entitlement, stealing, subsidy, subsidy - csa, subsidy issues
Reply Up