Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Fill or not to Fill???
busymommy0420 11:43 AM 03-10-2012
I lost my first DCG to a cheaper daycare. I placed an ad to replace her and have 4 interviews over the next 5 days. Well, NOW I can be choosey.

I am in NY so I can have 6 pre-school children all day and 2 school age. I have never really wanted to be at capacity but have a great routine down and am wondering if maybe I should fill up. We are saving to do a 600 sq ft addition on our home (our new family room) with a walk out basement below for our son's apartment in two years. (he is 16 now) So I could really use the extra money. How do you all feel about being full. Does it work for you or do you like to stay lower in your numbers?
mac60 12:14 PM 03-10-2012
I would not have it any other way, I figure if I am going to confine myself to my home to work, my costs are generally the same if I have 3 or 5, so I try to keep full 100% of the time. But then we depend on my income 110% especially since hubby lost his job, so being full means being able to pay the bills.
frugalmama4 12:24 PM 03-10-2012
I agree you should strive to be at 100% always...and make the best choices when it comes to saving/spending the $$$. These days you never no what can happen to your income the hubby's are your dcf's.

Good luck w/all your plans. If only we had basements in the south
AnneCordelia 03:28 PM 03-10-2012
My original plan when I opened just over a year ago, was to keep 3/5 spots full. I lost a sibling set after Christmas and, although I filled the spot very quickly, I found that the lack of income for a few weeks was just not what I wanted. We don't rely on my income, but it's so nice to have it come reliably.

I've since decided that I will fill to capacity and run that way. If I am going to be doing this then I want to make as much as I can. It's just another sandwich. Just another handful of barley in the soup.
daycare 06:05 PM 03-10-2012
I have never ran to my capacity because I don't want to incorporate SA with my preschoolers. I am just not cut out to do SA.

I have coached youth sports for almost 20 years, all ages and I do well on the field. The one and only time that I tired to bring on SA to my group, it was a nightmare disaster. I just did not have all of the necessary tools for that age group to keep them entertained.

I have however, gone to my max cap with my 6 preschoolers that I have and I have no problems with it at all. I like having a full class. The only thing that the parents don't like is that the ones that come PT are then never able to pick up extra days if they need to. BUT that's not my problem...
Abigail 06:22 PM 03-10-2012
I am making a decent income with 4 children. I have a license for 7, but I would never double my enrollment just like that. I work alone and am not in it 100% for the money, but I do want to make an income not just break even. I plan on adding 1 child a month until I'm comfortable. I've worked with 9 kids before and they were all on a routine but I never had to serve them lunch, take them outside, or change all their diapers alone all day long like I do now. I would prefer to have 5 full time because I do find it easy with the four I have. One is an infant and the others are all toddlers and I love it!
cheerfuldom 07:48 PM 03-10-2012
You could fill and then see how you feel. I am assuming that you have a trial period in which case, you can still let a child go if it doesn't work for you. I wouldn't start all the kids immediately though. See if you can stagger the start dates and that could really be a big help in the transition.
Reply Up