Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>early pick up days
Kcole1075 08:36 AM 01-22-2014
I had to take one last week to go to the dmv. My closing time is 5:30 so there are many things I can't do during the week. I am going to have to take another early day next week to go to the doctors.

How often do you take early pick up days?
KidGrind 08:39 AM 01-22-2014
So far only once, I loss water due to a pipe rupturing
jessrlee 08:47 AM 01-22-2014
I nave staff so never

I would try to limit it to once a month or less though
Kcole1075 08:54 AM 01-22-2014
I don't have staff so that really isn't an option. I don't like the idea of taking another so close but it is stuff that actually has to happen at the doctors office which closes at 4 and last week I could do at the dmv which closed at 5.
DaycareMom 08:58 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Kcole1075:
I don't have staff so that really isn't an option. I don't like the idea of taking another so close but it is stuff that actually has to happen at the doctors office which closes at 4 and last week I could do at the dmv which closed at 5.
I have done early closing 2-3 times in the past 5 years. It was only when it was my only option.
kathiemarie 09:35 AM 01-22-2014
When my own kids were younger I used to close early a lot. I would just tell the parents that Friday is a early closing day. Please have your child picked up by xxx time. I would always tell them why I needed to close, doctors appt. son/daughter sporting events etc. in turn I was flexible with late pick ups. (5 to 10 min once in awhile) I think when you are open with parents WHY you are closing its easier, I have always have had a open relationship with my DC families. I also found that most people didn't mind an early pick up on Friday so I would always try to make the appt. for a Friday.
Rachel 03:25 AM 01-23-2014
I had to take one last week to go to the dmv. My closing time is 5:30 so there are many things I can't do during the week. I am going to have to take another early day next week to go to the doctors.

How often do you take early pick up days?
I don't. If I have to leave for whatever reason (a few times a year it happens), I have my sub come in and be with the kids.
Cat Herder 06:05 AM 01-23-2014
Q. How often do you take early pick up days?

A. I only have Early Closing on Halloween for obvious reasons.

For Dr. Appts I schedule before or after-hours (after much research to find doctors who meet my needs). DMV is open weekends, here. I found training classes online. I have back-up transportation if my kids get sick at school. I have 3 emergency subs and 2 back-up locations. blah, blah...

****I guess ^^^ all have one thing in common: Much effort on my part to keep from closing on anything other than federal holidays, ever.
julie 06:56 AM 01-23-2014
Too much margin for error, so I never have early pick up days unless one of my own kids gets super sick/emergency situation.

I wish I had more faith in my families, but the truth is, it is better for my own sanity to close for a day, take a bit of a financial hit, get all my appointments done in one day and not have to worry about depending on parents to arrive on time when they are already upset because they are not "getting their money's worth" for the whole day. Just my own opinion. YMMV.
Kcole1075 08:20 AM 01-23-2014
Mine freak out more if they have to close for a day. Our dmv's arr no longer open on Saturdays but since that situation is delt with maybe I can find a new doctor who is opened on Saturday.

I love my job but my hours are really limiting what I can do After work. I am going to have to change that.
Cat Herder 10:32 AM 01-23-2014
I love my job but my hours are really limiting what I can do After work. I am going to have to change that.
You hit the nail on the head...

With further thought... That was one of the first things I simplified. I used to do 6a-6p, it was unbearable.

By changing to 8-6 I can make the 6am Dr. Appts, before school parent/ teacher conferences and even take my kids out to breakfast if I so choose.

HUGE lifestyle difference.
Josiegirl 10:55 AM 01-23-2014
As a matter of fact, I took one last week for a dentist appt.(closing at 4:15 in stead of 5) and taking 1 today for a dentist appt.(closing at 4:30) I have neglected myself for far too long. I'm really sick of being more worried about what are the families going to do all the time, it's time to worry about me. I have let my teeth go for a good 20+ years. Why? Never found the time to make an appt. I don't take vacations. I started having problems around Christmas time with my teeth and started to get kinda worried.
Plus I have a spot I have to get looked at which I know will need to be removed and require a recheck visit. I know these families pay my bills but if I let my health go any longer, I'll be worrying more about worse problems than inconveniencing dcfs. They always figure out their schedules for their own families' needs. They'll do it for their 99.999% reliable dcprovider. If not, they can go someplace else.

Haha sorry, just the week I'm having.
Tags:business ethics, business management, early closing, early closing time
Reply Up